Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 27,221 to 27,240 of 69,963

Anti-Matter

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Anti-Matter wrote:

Why so serious about AAA games ?

Because people enjoy playing those franchises?

I don't know how am i suppose to say, but.... even i owned Zelda BOTW, an AAA games like million peoples said, but i ALMOST Never touch that game for 4 months since 24 December 2017.
I knew Zelda BOTW has some potential in my opinion, but lately i prefer Portal Knights ( Non AAA games ) more than All my Switch games. I can see from my gameplay hours, only Portal Knights that i played More than 150 hours since 24 Dec 2017, while ARMS still on 2nd place with 40++ gameplay hours, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with 25++ gameplay hours.

Well, I guess AAA games are Not Guarantee can make peoples play frequently.

Anti-Matter

redd214

@Anti-Matter hey man I know this is gonna be a shocker to you, I hope you are sitting down....

Not Everyone Is Like You. People Have Different Tastes And There Is Nothing Wrong With That. Accept It

redd214

EvilLucario

@Ralizah It already is for me lol. I have 300 hours on my main file and I'm like 15 hours into my second fresh playthrough (interrupted by real life stuff and other games like Bayonetta). Then when Extreme difficulty comes out, I'll be doing a third fresh playthrough.

@TheTetrisGuy Makes sense that Labo will beat God of War in Japan. In America/Europe, I predict the opposite. That said, the big thing about Labo is that it's a still a new "platform", with multiple different kits, which can really push Labo numbers up high.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

redd214

God of war has never really sold all that well in Japan so that is hardly shocking. While I do enjoy labo I think GOW will trounce it in other territories however.

redd214

JaxonH

Gamers.

Still pitting games from different platforms against each other, as if one outselling the other means anything to anyone. Who gives a crap what sells more. Seriously. Aside from AntiMatter, who is clearly very emotionally vested in this.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH Not even two unrelated games. They're comparing an M-rated AAA action game and what amounts to a peripheral designed primarily for children.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

SuperJoon

DarthNocturnal wrote:

In other news, Japanese product outsells Western product in Japan. Up next; Grass: Is it really still green?

Wait... Green? What is this Wizardry!

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Is that $5-8 confirmed? That' seems extraordinarily high (I'd believe that as total package cost, shipped, but not cost differential.) If it's true, Nintendo's flat out gouging vendors (or Micronix is gouging Nintendo.)

Yeah, Ubi does do some discounts on Nintendo, but not as deep as what I tend to see on other platforms. You could get pretty much any AC, Far Cry, Steep, or a few other Ubi games this winter for generally $20 or less usually including most DLC packs on PSN or XBO. Lots of them were under $15 at at least one point. But yeah, Nintendo will never move the numbers PS will for those games....people buy PS to specifically play games like that, where people on Nintendo MAY play games like that. It does make it harder for them to choose to port.

Southpark: I'm surprised it's not more popular around here, yeah. Well, I'm avoiding the thread because I'm avoiding spoilers, maybe others are too.... I'm probably not going to open it until I'm done DQ:B.....I'm near the end of chapter 3. So little gaming time lately

And it's been out for some time. In an industry when 50+% of sales are in the first two weeks, the audience here is stragglers, double dippers, and people like me who resisted getting it for $25 3 separate times on PS4 hoping it would come to Switch....but I think most would rather buy it for $25 on platforms they own than $60 on Switch.....especially when you KNOW it will be discounted (the self defeating strategy of discounting your wares constantly is catching up....) I'm personally glad they ported it, but I do have to wonder when late ports (other than PC->Console or console->PC) ever sell very well, and if it's ever a good plan. In this case I doubt it cost much to port though, so it'll be profitable (after the price drops...)

I would HOPE the publishers are well aware of the targets to expect for a late port on a game that's already been discounted for months on end. EA certainly didn't understand that dynamic years ago.....but i'm more hopeful that Ubisoft does (I.E. not trying "this late port at high price better match sales of primary platforms" and aiming for "we projected based on game age and price to see sales in range x and surpassed it".) But it's a legit catch-22. Games that are largely about their graphics will always be "worst" on Switch and see lowest sales as a result. The metric really can't be a comparison of sales to other platforms tailor made for the kinds of games they're making....it has to be simply "is this profitable?" Smart business will know that. Less thoughtful business will obsess over maximized sales.

@Anti-Matter I'd have said it sounds like you're more a "casual" or "retro/arcade" style gamer. Though you like your JRPGs like FF which are more of that big AAA environment. BotW is very "western" in game design which is what most mean when talking about "big AAAs".....basically Japanese design is very guided and focused...soemwhat on rails with clearly defined objectives. Western design is very free form, about solving problems creatively via arriving at your own solutions. There's good and bad to both, but it sounds like you like a guided, focused, defined experience more than free-form creative solution finding. I'm kind of in the middle. I like a tighter focus than a lot of western games provide, but I still like that creative freedom of finding my own path.

@Ralizah how does it perform in handheld mode? I'll be doing a lot of handheld play soon....debating between XC2 and South Park next

"Not even two unrelated games. They're comparing an M-rated AAA action game and what amounts to a peripheral designed primarily for children"

Wait....which is that? I expect the GoW demographic to be mostly 11-16 year olds and the Labo demographic to be mostly 22-50 year olds. Just a hunch.

@DarthNocturnal Nope, it's definitely blue
Untitled

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Xenoblade 2 in handheld is rough. Really rough. But the great art direction still shines through the low resolution. It's not "368p" low ALL the time though. People act like that's the default resolution when it's not that common to hit that low, when by that logic Odyssey is a 720p game docked because it can hit 720p sometimes. It's still very much playable and decent looking, and if you came off of Xenoblade 1 on the 3DS, Xenoblade 2 is such a massive improvement.

That said, it's still Nintendo's worst docked-to-handheld conversion to date and nothing else can change that fact.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
$5-8 is the price difference between buying a single bluray disc, and buying a 16gb micro SD card. Of course both of them will cost less than what we as consumers pay because they are buying them in bulk, and the cartridges are read only, but they are also proprietary and have protections. Point being, there's no way they are paying less than $5 for a 16gb cart. And there's no way they're paying more than $.25 for a Blu-ray Disc.

It's also more complex than just "is this profitable" because you have to look at opportunity cost. Sure, it may be profitable. Maybe they make $1,000,000 net profit from the venture. That's all well and good. The question is, how much money are they losing by not devoting those resources elsewhere? Perhaps they could have made five million dollars profit had that dev team worked on something else for PS4/X1/PC.

So it's not just about being profitable, it's about being more profitable. That's where subcontracting comes in to play. Hire someone else to do the work to eliminate the opportunity cost. Problem with that, is there are limited developers with the skills necessary to do proper Switch ports. Hence the high demand for Panic Button and all the requests they've been receiving.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
Um...
I think you were correct about my gaming style.
I played more games created by Japanese developers than by Western developers.
The Only Western games that Captivating me as Same level with Japanese games are :
1. The Sims series ( 9 / 10 ), created by Maxis, from U.S.A.
2. Portal Knights ( 8.5 / 10 ), created by Keen Games, from Germany.

Retro style ? Well.... kinda.
I still fond with some NDS games with their pretty 2D art styles. They looked pretty.

Casual ?
I play Dance Dance Revolution so intensively & seriously, until i can pass Level 18 songs on DDR Arcade. If Casual players will try Easy level, i play it in Hardcore level. I have been playing DDR for Almost 15 years, and i still play DDR until today.

Note: Btw, DDR is simply a 10 / 10 game for me.
I Never bored to play DDR X2 every Sunday at TimeZone.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Well, I can only speak to the demographics such products are ostensibly aimed at.

Regarding XC2 in handheld mode: it's playable. The framerate mostly holds up, but the adaptive resolution is always sub-HD, weaves around like a drunk in certain areas, and varies between "OK" and "terrible" (we're talking sub-PS Vita resolution in some spots).

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I want you to know exactly what you'd be getting. If what I said doesn't bother you tremendously, then I'd absolutely recommend it. It's one of the funnest JRPG's I've ever played. Easily my favorite Monolith Soft game, and if it wasn't so poorly optimized (and if it lacked a few small annoyances), it might even have been my favorite Switch game overall.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH About South Park, it's kind of meaningless having the 2nd game without the first. Sure, not to the same extent as the whole Mass Effect 3 Wii U situation but still significant enough to be an issue.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Meaningless? No. You don't need to play the first to enjoy the second. I am enjoying the second and I never played the first. It does make it less appealing by not including it, obviously. But having a portable version of the complete game makes it more appealing so, it's tit for tat.

EvilLucario

Sonic Mania only gets better. Mighty and Ray look so much fun to play.

After Mania I can't go back to Sonic 1 to 3 & Knuckles. Their controls when jumping out of a Spin Dash/rolling giving you Castlevania physics can jump off a cliff. CD and Mania control way better in that regard.

IceClimbers

Damn, July just got even more stacked with that Sonic Mania Plus release

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

@EvilLucario
Rumor has it the Sonic release on Sega Ages for Switch will have the drop dash added from Mania. A screenshot shows evidence of this.

That could make the old games easier to play.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic