Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 26,921 to 26,940 of 37,787

skywake

I think it kinda says something about the way news spreads on the internet that the minor bug relating to playtime was major news. All across the internet and even on quite a few non-gaming channels it was being talked about. Often with little to know understanding of what it actually was and with a lot of people jumping to the conclusion that it was an intentional thing on Nintendo's part for some reason.

But the firmware update that fixes it which comes out about a week after? Barely rates a mention. Neither did the tweets directly from Nintendo saying they were aware of it and that it was going to be fixed. Instead the mob has somehow moved on to, somehow, blaming Nintendo's firmware update for bricking consoles... when you use dodgy third party docks which have been bricking systems since launch....

A day in the life of a software company.

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@Dogorilla I think Sega got around that story by saying it's not an All-Star Racing Sonic game. It's supposedly just Sonic characters. This also goes to show that you can't believe companies when they deny rumours.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

JaxonH

@subpopz
I hear that.

And, it's not that I dislike the other consoles. I actually think PS4 has set the bar for home console (straight laced) and Xbox One X is an impeccable gaming machine. It's just... they're no longer meeting my needs as a gamer in light of this new "play anywhere" lifestyle.

I'm also done being tricked into buying games elsewhere thinking it won't come to Switch, only to find out 3-4 months later, lo and behold, it's coming to Switch after all. So a no purchase policy going forward unless it's a 1st party title or unequivocally cannot and will never run on Switch. If, years from now, the game still hasn't come, I'll pick it up cheap.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Diablo 3, Monster Hunter Gen Ult, Dark Souls, World of Final Fantasy, TWEWY
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
X1: Red Dead Redemption 2
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

shadow-wolf

@subpopz @JaxonH So honest question - and I don't mean to insult your opinions, this is a genuine question I hope you can clarify for me - what makes the Switch and its play anywhere nature so appealing to you? I'm getting a Switch later this year, but I genuinely cannot understand why the Switch's portability is such a big deal. We have had plenty of portable consoles in the past that allowed you to play anywhere. And perhaps it's different for an individual with a family or kids who constantly use the TV, but if you have your own TV at home that you can solely use, what exactly is the appeal of Switch's portability? I have a TV that's my own personal TV, and I don't find any instances when I'm outside my house in which I can stop paying attention to my surroundings and get immersed in a game for a while. And when I'm home, I figure I'd likely play on the TV instead of on handheld since the TV screen is bigger. I may find once I get a Switch that I love handheld mode, but until then I'd appreciate it if you guys could explain what makes you love the Switch's portability so much.

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

JaxonH

@shadow-wolf
It's not the portability.

It's the combination of portability and home console and portable home console via tabletop. It's the instant on, instant off via sleep mode. It's the single player, multiplayer anytime, anywhere with anyone. It's the sheer versatility of the console to meet any need and any desire at any time.

It's kind of like how attached you get to your cell phone. You have it with you everywhere and you rely on it for everything. That's how Switch is.

Before Switch, I had a 3DS, and I enjoyed the games on it very much. But I didn't get much actual use as a portable device. That is to say, I wasn't really a handheld gamer, I just happened to play a handheld system because I liked the games on it.

That's changed.

Now, I am both... I am everything. All I do is go to work and come home every day. You would think I wouldn't have many opportunities to play. But I do. I bring it to work with me every day and I'll play on my break. I'll play at shift change, my coworkers will watch me and they're always excited to see the new game I am playing. And we play together sometimes because everyone I know at my work has bought a Switch as a result of seeing mine. I've got people dying for MHXX to be localized so we can hunt together during shift change- these people had never even heard of that series before they saw me playing it. Thanks to the versatility of the console I can prop it up in table top mode, slide the controllers off and pass a controller to my friend and a few moments later we're playing Kirby together, or Ultra Street Fighter II, or Mario Kart 8 battle mode, or whatever. Having 2 controllers available at all times means whenever the situation arises, you can play video games with someone else.

And it's not just about that- it's the quality of portable gaming that you're getting. Handheld mode is great- don't get me wrong. Easily the best handheld gaming experience ever. Especially with the HD screen and full button set and motion controls and HD rumble- luxuries we have never had in a handheld. But the tabletop... it's like having a home console everywhere you go. Not just a handheld, but a literal mini home console. You prop it up on the kickstand and you slide off the controllers and you lean back in a chair, and you are enjoying a video game exactly like you would be at home. The screen might be a little smaller but, aside from that you are playing a home consold leaned back in the chair in the office at work. It's so freaking rad. Tabletop is my favorite feature of the system, by far.

And when I come home I don't have to load up save transfer tools to get my game back onto a home console like you would have to do with MH3U on 3DS/Wii U or certain Vita/PS4 games (and that's just the few games that actually had such tools- the vast majority of games either didn't have a handheld version or console version or if they had both, there was no way to cross save, and even if they did you had to spend $100 for the 2 versions). With Switch, uou literally just set the system in the dock and it automatically turns your TV on and switches the input for you. By the time you turn around and sit down in your recliner and grab a pro controller, your included console version of the game is right on the television where you left off. It's the slickest thing I've ever experienced since I started playing video games.

And that is the secret sauce. Having fully fledged home console games playable on a handheld system is indeed incredible, by all means. But it's being able to simply grab the system out of the dock and have the game instantly on that handheld- that is where the real magic happens. Then when you're downstairs, simply propping it on it's kickstand and sliding off the controllers, and it's instantly available as a little miniature home console, then when you're done you simply drop it in the dock and you're right back where you started. It's all just so instantaneous.

It has made me into not only a handheld gamer, but what I can only describe as a tribrid gamer... the "play anywhere, anytime, with anyone" lifestyle. It's one of those things where until you experience it for yourself it's hard to understand the appeal. Even if I never took my system out of the house I would still be addicted to the system. Because sometimes I want to watch Netflix, and I can just pop it out of the dock and keep playing in my recliner while I've got a show on. Or when I go downstairs to make coffee and I'm waiting on it to brew I can keep playing a game, or if I want to show someone something I can take the system into other rooms of the house, or even dock it on another TV with a spare dock. When I go visit my brother I can take my system with me and we can do local multiplayer together- he used to visit every weekend and we'd play local wireless Salmon Run.

Once you get a taste of that versatility to be anything you need it to be, and do anything you need it to do... it's hard to go back.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Blathers

Couldn't have said it better myself

Stay safe, kids: Make sure to save frequently during multiplayer, and always use a stylus!

3DS Friend Code: 1848-2106-5430

IceClimbers

@shadow-wolf It's not so much the portability as much as the flexibility it provides. The portability is part of that flexibility.

With other home consoles and PC you have to set aside time in your schedule specifically to play games because they're essentially tethered. Switch flips that around and works around your schedule. Waiting for a bus or for class to start and only have 15 or so minutes? I can play Zelda on my Switch in handheld mode. Have a bunch of buddies over or you just have a bunch of free time? Plop it in the dock and play on the TV. That's just some examples of its flexibility.

While other systems in the past have had portability options, Switch is the first time you can take full HD console level games with you. No streaming. No separate hardware or separate versions of games.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Spoony_Tech

Don't mind @JaxonH, he's a Nintendo employee. He must get royalties on the side for every Switch mention lol. 😄😉😜😘

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

darkfenrir

I think he sums up a lot of Switch mentality and describes it better than some

I actually enjoy Switch because it's literally my first home console I ever own (I played some PS1, but that's my aunt's), and I love it. It's just so much more comfortable than my 3DS, like it feels great and it's just so much more quick and snazzy than 3DS!

Like, I might only be using it at home (because work at home as well so no commute), but the fact that it's a home console, and I don't need to buy an extra tv/monitor for it... that's huge man. I don't need to pay more than the thing to play.

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

Anti-Matter

@shadow-wolf
"I genuinely cannot understand why the Switch's portability is such a big deal ?"

Mr. Shadow-wolf, let me explain how awesome the portability :
1. You can play it ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, even playing on the bed. You don't have to stuck on TV. Why should i go back to my home just only to Turn On the TV, the Consoles when i can Straightly play Switch in Handheld Mode right now ?
2. If there is No electricity (Black Out), you still can play your Switch as long still have enough power. You even CANNOT Play consoles when there is No Electricity.
3. You can show to other peoples what is Nintendo Switch and let them know. Also, you might got some new friends if they are also have same interest.

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (10 / 10)
2. The Sims series (9 / 10)
3. Portal Knights Switch (9 / 10)
4. Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS (9 / 10)
5. ARMS (8 / 10)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

subpopz

@shadow-wolf There's not really much more I can add that @JaxonH hasn't said. Except that my household is a family of 5 and we do not all have our own dedicated TV's, so that does come into play sometimes when everyone is home. If I'm playing on the main TV and the wife wants to watch something, no problem, I don't have to stop, just pull the system and keep going.
We have had portables before and the GB/GBA/3DS lines were all big parts of gaming for me, but they were handhelds only. We've had nothing like the Switch before, though. Its the home experience on the go.
I also take mine to work and it's a shiftwork environment. I am a permanent outside contractor in a Union workplace...so when I have downtime from what I am contracted to do, there is literally nothing else I can do that doesn't violate Union rules (since doing anything else would be doing a Union workers job), so I'm free to pull out the Switch and play all I want. Part of the contract is to be on site and on call whenever needed for the duration of the shift, so Switch sleep mode lets me play and then go to work when needed without having to save or anything else. The 3DS worked for this, but when home, if I wanted to continue the same game, I still had to play on the 3DS even if one of the TV's was free. I used to divide my time between multiple systems. 3DS on the go, then something on the Wii U or PS3 when home. But, Switch gives me everything in one package.
Then there's also how easy it is to take to play with friends and play with anyone, anywhere. I have mine on a WiFi hotspot via my phone so I can go online anywhere as well.

My sort of unique work situation aside, it's flexibility lets me play it in short bursts while at home, in bed before sleeping, out on the deck and then also while I'm out and about anywhere from home. I'm probably 50/50 split on using it portable and docked. It's literally one system filling almost all my needs (if it got games like Tomb Raider, it would be all, but it doesn't get those so I have the laptop for those games). PS4 and XBone cannot give me that same kind of flexibility. Basically, if I was completely tethered to a TV/desktop for all games, my gaming time would be cut in half.
I got used to it's flexibility very fast and I don't think I could go back now (I really hope hybrid is Nintendo's plan for the future after Switch)

Edited on by subpopz

Switch - Smash Ultimate, Mario Kart 8D, NES Online (Dr. Mario only)
3DS -
PC - The Witcher 3, Nier: Automata, Mortal Kombat XL

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

rallydefault

@shadow-wolf
It's really hard to explain why the portability is awesome until you experience it. I thought my Switch was never going to leave the dock when I first bought it, but in reality, I can't tell you the last time I played it IN the dock, and I play it almost every day!

I'm in my 30s, I'm married, and it just fits my life to play a half hour or an hour before turning in for the night or even when I'm on the elliptical (sounds dangerous, but I've gotten pretty good at it lol - even set some of my best Graceful Explosion high scores while working out).

I still love sitting down on the weekends to play a few hours of WoW or Overwatch on my PC, but most of my gaming is done on my Switch BECAUSE it's portable and just fits my current life where I rarely have time to sit down in front of my TV throughout the week.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

shadow-wolf

@JaxonH @IceClimbers @darkfenrir @Anti-Matter @subpopz @rallydefault Thank you all for your responses! I'm understanding better what the flexibility means to all of you (props to @JaxonH for making me realize that it was the flexibility that mattered with Switch, not specifically portability). It does sound like something I need to experience to fully value, and I look forward to that!

shadow-wolf

Octane

Whether a console is good or not can be answered by the following question: Can I play Pikmin on it?

Octane

JaxonH

@Spoony_Tech
Hey now.

BestBuy CEO. Get it right.

@Octane
Whether a console is good or not can be answered by the following question: Can I play Pikmin on it?

I approve of this quality metric

NOW PLAYING
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Knuckles-Fajita

The only good consoles are the Gamecube, Wii and Wii U? Two of those seem wrong.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NaviAndMii

JaxonH wrote:

@Octane

I approve of this quality metric

Poor Ouya...yet another stick to beat it with!

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

skywake

@shadow-wolf
It's the same appeal as it is with smart devices. Sure if you have a PC, Laptop or TV on paper it seems stupid to want to browse the internet or consume content on a technically inferior device. But when you have a device that lets you consume content whenever you want? You'll inevitably end up watching Netflix in bed on a lazy Sunday morning or browsing twitter while you drink your coffee in the morning.

So why wouldn't a device that does the same for gaming be the same? Sure we've always had portable consoles and I've always kinda felt that way about portable gaming. But every portable console prior to the Switch was generations behind what "real consoles" were doing. The Switch is flexible without being generations behind. I felt the same way about the Wii U even if it was, in hindsight, the beta version of Switch.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic