Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 26,821 to 26,840 of 69,964

JaxonH

I think beyond 60fps is a waste. A certain segment of PC gamers will chase that sort of thing but when you're talking about 100 million average consumers... nobody's going to care about that.

They can push it if they want but it's just going to make the console considerably more expensive, for a return very few people will likely notice or even care about anyways.

Would a $400 console that can do 4K 120fps sell better? Or a $200 console that can do 4K 60fps.

Once we hit the limit, instead of increasing specs I think they're going to start decreasing price. It's going to be about getting the same amount but for a lower cost. Or, decreasing size and eventually, eventually, going the Switch route. Once the limit is reached, as technology continues to progress and get cheaper they can choose to lower price or they could choose to start conpacting their consoles to add value in other areas. Playstation 6 as a fully hybrid system that ran 4K 60fps on the TV with 1080p 60fps on the go... is everything anyone could ever want from a console. The only area I think we'll continue to see a push for is for virtual reality, because more power is needed.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

While 60fps is good enough for me, I think we might see a push towards 90 Hz. But where the jump between 30fps and 60fps is about as noticable as the jump from 720p to 1080p, 90fps will be like 4k. Something that's nice, but a lot of people will barely see the difference. Anything beyond that? It's hard to prove people will be able to see a difference.

Personally, anything that's at 1080p 60fps is perfectly acceptable in my book, and I don't see the need to push past either, but you know they'll do it for marketing reasons. Of course, that's assuming TVs that display over 60hz become standard. Otherwise, they can implement it but...

link3710

IceClimbers

Let's get to 60 fps being standard first please.

Anyways, I feel like more power would be better served on more advanced physics and AI.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

Ay, check this out from the dev of The Messenger

Sometimes you’re not expecting a platformer to teach you life-affirming lessons. Sometimes the shopkeeper will go off on a long story. If people don’t care about that, they can skip through 90 percent of the dialogue and enjoy the pure action platforming. The game, later on, when it switches to 16-bit, it comes closer to a Metroidvania. Then you have to do all exploration. You need to go back to the previous levels and find hidden stuff that will help you get to the final true ending of the game. It moves from a simple 8-bit platformer to something else entirely. But you want to start at the beginning feeling like this is a classic platformer.

Here's the trailer for anyone not up to speed on this one. Looks like the Shovel Knight of Ninja Gaiden. This game is going to give us that kind of experience on the level Shovel Knight did.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

5.0.2 update is out, probably more stability.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Spoony_Tech

Oh brother, another article incoming from NL about it. Can't wait to see it.....

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

EvilLucario

I always love stability memes. Honestly don't get why people hate them.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

Yacht Club Games announced that King of Cards is launching 2nd half of 2018.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

EvilLucario

Nice. Shovel Knight is pretty damn fun.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

EvilLucario

Open world games like BotW probably benefit the most from 30 FPS, because that allows you to create the best world possible. Everything else, though, should aim for 60 FPS by next generation tbh.

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH As for your comment about Tropical Freeze Switch resolution, in general handheld performance of Switch games are going to be the more impressive stats. If the Wii U was more powerful we would've seen stuff like Tropical Freeze 1080p years ago whereas getting 720p in handheld mode sounds like something very special, that you have a console-like experience anywhere.

Grumblevolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I agree. It's the handheld 720p that's the real star. 720p to 1080p console is nice, by all means, I never want to diminish the value of a game jumping from 720 to 1080, but the jump from DKC Returns in 240p on 3DS to Tropical Freeze, platforming perfected, in 720p portable is remarkably impressive.

My point was just to highlight the fact that, when it's not being artificially hyped up and manufactured (as we see with practically every multiplatform release compared to Switch), actual interest in the benefits of console 1080p over even something as low as 720p... is marginal. It is a very much appreciated gain, but it's not like it's got people hooting and hollering. But you would think that should be the case the way people talk about other console versions being 1080p over Switch 900p, or even the same 720p.

We see with DKC the naked, true value of a game being 1080p vs 720p, without exaggeration of the benefits clouding the real advantage.

Edited on by JaxonH

Therad

You need to have a ridiculously big TV or sit very close to get anything out from a 4k TV. And if we add the fact that 60% have bad eye sight... and the fact that the average viewing distance in living rooms are no where near the optimal viewing distance...

My guess it is other things that make most people feel it is a better viewing experience compared with their last TV. Newer TVs have better colors, most buy a bigger TV and since you bought an expensive new TV it must be better.

Therad

SKTTR

Is it confirmed Xeno2's resolution in handheld has not received an update?
The last time I checked the game looked much better than before in handheld mode.
Does it maybe change to high-res mode outside of the cities?

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

gcunit

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that most games out there could be improved visually with more detailed textures and effects without needing a resolution bump to appreciate them.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

@NintendoPete No. All we know is that it's not coming this year.

A Switch version hasn't been confirmed either by the way.

Octane

NintendoPete

Octane wrote:

@NintendoPete No. All we know is that it's not coming this year.

A Switch version hasn't been confirmed either by the way.

that's what I thought - but it is strange because this retailer is usually up to date. Having said that, I haven't ordered anything from that site for a long time. Maybe something changed

NintendoPete

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic