Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 26,081 to 26,100 of 69,983

Dogorilla

@OorWullie When you set up accounts for other regions can you just buy games directly from the eShop with a credit card? I thought I remembered reading that you couldn't use credit cards on foreign eShops so you had to buy eShop gift cards.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Hallonblad

@Dogorilla This can't be true. My Switch account is Swedish, but I have used an English card for the eshop August-February when I went to have my internship in London, thus my English bank account was where my money ended up. So at least European cards work for accounts of European countries. I don't see any reason why it would be different between regions. If this was ever an issue it's hopefully solved by now.

Switch friend code: SW-1684-7611-8315
Backlog: https://backloggery.com/Hallon
#supercasualgamer

Therad

@Hallonblad the magic of the inner market of EU. It will be interesting to see if that is still true after Brexit.

Therad

electrolite77

@OorWullie

Yes I'm similar. Got accounts for UK, USA, Canada, Japan, Russia and South Africa (I need to get a Norwegian one set up too, some great prices on there).

Over 40 digital games and I haven't paid full price for a single one. I reckon that for the minor hassle of one extra button click when I load up a game or the Eshop I've saved over £200 on those games.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

electrolite77

@Dogorilla

It varies by region.

Russia - used my UK Credit card
South Africa - Revolut
USA/Canada - Revolut or top-up cards from Pcgamesupply
Japan - top-up card from amazon.co.jp.

If you buy from the UK eshop it's worth using Zeek. They offer 7% off as standard but also do a lot of 'save £5 when you spend £50' type offers.

Playstation ID - GJB77

Dogorilla

electrolite77 wrote:

@Dogorilla

It varies by region.

Russia - used my UK Credit card
South Africa - Revolut
USA/Canada - Revolut or top-up cards from Pcgamesupply
Japan - top-up card from amazon.co.jp.

If you buy from the UK eshop it's worth using Zeek. They offer 7% off as standard but also do a lot of 'save £5 when you spend £50' type offers.

Interesting, thanks. I don't particularly want to use Revolut or Japanese gift cards (seems like too much hassle) but maybe I'll set up a European account if I can use my UK credit card.

Funky Kong

electrolite77

@Dogorilla

TBH the Japanese account is the one I use the least, despite being the most difficult to set up. I've found the Revolut app pretty painless myself especially for the flexibility it adds but YMMV.

This is a brilliant site for showing where the bargains are

https://eshop.calyh.re

Playstation ID - GJB77

Lroy

Apologies if this has been discussed before or if it serves little interest but I wondered if anyone knew the specifics of the subtle differences Nintendo are silently applying to the form factor of the Switch?

I bought one at launch, Day 1. I very recently bought a second Switch for my wife and son to share (I might actually get to play mine more now, lol!).

Anyway, I noticed that one of the clear differences between the two units is that this new Switch has its tablet made from a different plastic material or finished in a thicker, duller sheen at least e.g. not the shiny polish-like gloss finish of the launch model. I may be lacking the appropriate words to describe this but essentially, the tablet of this new Switch is clearly different to my launch model. It seems slightly thicker and heavy overall too.

Using my launch system dock, the new Switch is very tightly fitted inside it. Whereas my launch Switch sits quite loose and visible gaps front and back exist when it is docked.

Perhaps this thicker plastic is a response to the warping issue widely covered on the Internet for a time?

No great insights I know but just thought I'd bring it up in case people weren't aware that the form factor has changed in terms of some materials or finish applied to the Switch tablet. I'm guessing Nintendo have also been changing some of the inside parts too - Joy Con as well.

Edited on by Lroy

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Blathers

electrolite77 wrote:

This is a brilliant site for showing where the bargains are

https://eshop.calyh.re

Made by a guy living in Brazil. Haha, figures.

Edited on by Blathers

Stay safe, kids: Make sure to save frequently during multiplayer, and always use a stylus!

3DS Friend Code: 1848-2106-5430

ieatdragonz

Man, if any of you haven't bought Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle, nows the time to do so on Bestbuy. All Ubisoft (retail of course) games, NBA 2K18, FIFA18, and even ScribbleNauts Showdown are on sale.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?cp=1&searchTy...

I realize that this isn't a "deals" thread, but I also wanted to transition it into a third party discussion. So far I have three Ubisoft titles (Rabbids, Monopoly, Rayman), two SEGA titles (Puyo Puyo, Sonic Mania) and Bomberman R.

As it stands I think the third party support is great, but I'm very worried about sales. Ubisoft never releases numbers, some reports say Doom didn't do so hot, and EA like normal is bowing out. So far the only real numbers we do have are Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Bomberman R, and Disgaea 5 How is everyone else feeling about third party? How many third party games have you supported?

People might think I'm childish for my picture, and I am.
Favorite games: Super Mario Odyssey, Super Metroid, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Sonic Generations
If you like Kirby, then you are a person I can trust.

Farmboy74

@ieatdragonz

So far I think the third party situation on Switch has been good, but I think will get even better with how the Switch has been selling. Third party games I have brought so far are; Bomberman R, Disgaea 5, Mario & Rabids, Skyrim, Fifa 18, Dragon Quest Builders (sold my PS4 copy) & I have just brought Doom in the eshop sale.
Nindies wise I have brought are; Ironcast, Stardew Valley and from the eshop sale; Letter Quest, Aqua Kitty & Steamworld Dig 2
Further into the year I’m looking at Dragon Quest Builders 2, Wolfenstein 2, Dark Souls, Pillars of Eternity 2, Victor Fran, Pixel Junk Monsters. In fact I have brought more third party games than first party!!

Farmboy74

Grumblevolcano

The current sale seems to have made big changes to the UK eshop charts, even Skyrim and DOOM have returned after being absent for months.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

OorWullie

@Dogorilla I'm pretty sure you can use a UK card within Europe but any transaction outside the UK will be subject to a foreign transaction fee, making the saving less and for games like the Neo Geo releases, not worthwhile. I highly recommend Revolut, it takes minutes to set up and it has its own app which is better and more modern than most banks. It seamlessly converts currency at real time exchange rates with no fee. To verify your account you need to top it up with £10 but you can then send that straight back to your bank account. It gives you a free virtual card for making purchases and once added to a foreign Eshop, it's saved on there for future purchases. Once set up the only extra step you need to make a purchase on the Eshop is to open the app and top it up with funds. It's very quick.

Other than for gaming, it has more benefits. Free worldwide money transfers,free receive and send payments to friends like PayPal allows and if you go on holiday a physical card that can be used just like a visa but will give you real time exchange rates, no foreign transaction fee and no ATM charges. For 18 years I've lived overseas and I've had no option but to use my UK bank for withdrawals and for every £300 I take out I get stung for around £20. With this card I will no longer have those fees. I make a lot of maximum withdrawals each month to run my business so it's going to save me a fortune.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

RR529

So, is there a Hong Kong region yet?

I've heard that when it comes to importing games, on PS4 at least, that it often makes sense to import from Hong Kong rather than Japan, as they get most games that don't come west, and often have English subtitles that the Japanese versions lack (they have a higher number of English speakers since they used to be a British colony).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Haruki_NLI

Nintendo Switch UK eShop Charts - 27/03/2018

Numbers in brackets are previous positions based on: 13/03/2018 (Unless they haven't moved)

1: Kirby Star Allies (NEW)
2: Rocket League (Up from 4th)
3: Stardew Valley (Down from 2nd)
4: Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Down from 1st)
5: Skyrim (33% OFF) (Up from not charting)
6: Arcade Archives: VS. Super Mario Bros (Down from 3rd)
7: StreamWorld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt (50% OFF) (Up from not charting)
8: Cluster Truck (NEW) (Up from not charting)
9: The Sparkle 2 Evo (Up from not charting)
10: Celeste (Down from 5th)
11:WonderBoy: The Dragon's Trap (Up from not charting)
12: Super Bomberman R (50% OFF) (Up from not charting)
13: Sonic Mania (Down from 6th)
14: DOOM (33% OFF) (Up from not charting)
15: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Down from 10th)

The sales had an impact on Steamworld, Bomberman and Bethesda. Interesting. Guess people were hungry for those ports at a lower price.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Therad

@ieatdragonz there was an article on NL about ubisoft. Ubisoft made almost as much profit on the switch as they did on xbox one despite having a much smaller install base.

Therad

Anti-Matter

@RR529
"So, is there a Hong Kong region yet?"

They are Region 3.
For PS4 games, ALL the games have NO Age Ratings, No Explanations about contents inside.
Untitled

Anti-Matter

Farmboy74

@YummyHappyPills

I think the reason Skyrim & Doom have done well in the eshop sale is that currently you cannot get both cheaper anywhere else. For me Doom was released at the wrong time of year (I brought Skyrim and a larger SD card instead) with Christmas looming and all. I don’t but many AAA games digitally as the price is usually extortionate but for me £30 / 33.50 I would say is reasonable. I also realise that Doom will have taken up a sizeable chunk of SD card space, but my SD card is big enough.

Farmboy74

Grumblevolcano

@Farmboy74 Sometimes I do wonder if the schedule from October onwards could've worked better a little differently. So like:
October - Super Mario Odyssey
November - 3rd party month but only Skyrim from Bethesda
December - Fire Emblem Warriors
February - Bayonetta 1+2, DOOM
March - Xenoblade 2
April - Kirby Star Allies, Nintendo Labo

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dogorilla

OorWullie wrote:

@Dogorilla I'm pretty sure you can use a UK card within Europe but any transaction outside the UK will be subject to a foreign transaction fee, making the saving less and for games like the Neo Geo releases, not worthwhile. I highly recommend Revolut, it takes minutes to set up and it has its own app which is better and more modern than most banks. It seamlessly converts currency at real time exchange rates with no fee. To verify your account you need to top it up with £10 but you can then send that straight back to your bank account. It gives you a free virtual card for making purchases and once added to a foreign Eshop, it's saved on there for future purchases. Once set up the only extra step you need to make a purchase on the Eshop is to open the app and top it up with funds. It's very quick.

Other than for gaming, it has more benefits. Free worldwide money transfers,free receive and send payments to friends like PayPal allows and if you go on holiday a physical card that can be used just like a visa but will give you real time exchange rates, no foreign transaction fee and no ATM charges. For 18 years I've lived overseas and I've had no option but to use my UK bank for withdrawals and for every £300 I take out I get stung for around £20. With this card I will no longer have those fees. I make a lot of maximum withdrawals each month to run my business so it's going to save me a fortune.

Ok, that sounds quite good actually. I'll look into it then

Funky Kong

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic