Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 26,061 to 26,080 of 31,507

DarthNocturnal

Hmmmm... might not bother with retail MMLC 1 & 2 then. They're small enough to fit on Switch without an SD card (although the percentage of space taken up is high).

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

rallydefault

I find the "oh look another pixelated indie platformer" thing hilarious because nobody ever says "oh here's another 3rd-person action adventure 3rd-party game." I mean, come on - aside from your fps games like Battlefront and CoD, that's pretty much what the big 3rd-party games have been for the last 5 or 10 years.

Last of Us
Division
All Assassin's Creed games
All Mass Effect
All Gears
All Tomb Raider
All Lord of the Rings
All GTA
All Uncharted
MOST Resident Evil
All God of War
Shadow of Colossus
All Metal Gear
That PS4 game with the huge dog/bird companion that was meh

I mean, how big do you some of you fabricate your blinders to be? You're talking dozens and dozens of the biggest games in the last 5 years from that quick list (probably missing another dozen franchises or so), most of which have annual sequels, but we're quicker to criticize indies?

rallydefault

FX102A

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 + 2 comes to Switch on May 22nd.

The catch? Both digitally ($14.99 for MMLC1/$19.99 for MMLC2) is fine.

Physical release for both combined for $39.99, with MMLC2 as a download, plus a free cloth thing.

Physical release is US only, which means in the EU, the only physical Capcom release we have is Street Fighter 2.

I had really hoped Nintendo would have stepped in and stopped this BS from Capcom. There should be a clause saying a complete game has to be fitted onto the card if one big enough exists. I'll definitely wait for this to go on sale if they are not going to offer a completely physical version.

FX102A

Octane

@rallydefault To be fair, action-adventure can almost mean anything, even 2D platformers can be action-adventure games if they want to be one

Octane

Grumblevolcano

The new DOOM update is out now and it adds motion controls.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

OorWullie

It's hard to blame 3rd party's for skimping on game cards when Nintendo themselves have set an example by doing the same with Bayonetta.

Superb news about Doom. I had no idea motion controls where being added.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah Pro controller motion controls is pretty much Splatoon 2 and split Joy-con motion controls is pretty much Prime Trilogy.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Harmonie

rallydefault wrote:

I find the "oh look another pixelated indie platformer" thing hilarious because nobody ever says "oh here's another 3rd-person action adventure 3rd-party game." I mean, come on - aside from your fps games like Battlefront and CoD, that's pretty much what the big 3rd-party games have been for the last 5 or 10 years.

Last of Us
Division
All Assassin's Creed games
All Mass Effect
All Gears
All Tomb Raider
All Lord of the Rings
All GTA
All Uncharted
MOST Resident Evil
All God of War
Shadow of Colossus
All Metal Gear
That PS4 game with the huge dog/bird companion that was meh

I mean, how big do you some of you fabricate your blinders to be? You're talking dozens and dozens of the biggest games in the last 5 years from that quick list (probably missing another dozen franchises or so), most of which have annual sequels, but we're quicker to criticize indies?

You could say that, I guess. However, I think the difference is that the 3rd party action-adventure games are games designed in a modern, 'current' way. Pixilated Indies? They're designed in an archaic style that mimics that which would normally be found only on limited hardware from over a couple of decades ago. They're catering specifically to an audience that still wants games in this kind of style.

I am not one of those people, so they are a turn-off for me. You can't expect everyone to go for that kind of style any more than I can expect everyone to love the harpsichord over the piano like me. The piano has technological improvements that make it superior to the harpsichord. Most people and institutions not only prefer piano, but don't even have a harpsichord. It's sad for me, wanting to play accompanied by a harpsichord... But what can I do?

I know probably not a perfect comparison, but it's the one that comes to mind for me.

Harmonie

JaxonH

DOOM update is hype! Actually added motion controls, fixed audio issues, menu fixes, new icon, probably gobs more.

And ya, I appreciate Indies as much as you could reasonably expect, but I get burnt out on them really quick when they are all in the same style.

But I don't get burnt out on modern games because... they are modern. They vary so much in how they look and in how they play and unlike 8-bit pixelated games, I don't get sick of the art style. In fact I love looking at gorgeous modern games.

I'm not saying modern AAA games are all I care about but, to be perfectly honest I value them much more than an indie. Even masterpiece indies like SteamWorld Dig 2, Celeste, Shovel Knight, etc don't appeal to me nearly as much as a modern masterpiece. I still enjoy them but, like most things in life... in moderation. I could play nothing but modern games day and night, week in week out, year after year and not be tired of them, because technology has progressed to a point where games are big and expansive and beautiful to look at and the gameplay mechanics in place are so much more complex than what indie games offer. I still love Indies, and I welcome the truckload that is being dumped onto Switch, but all the indies in the world can't substitute for good, modern games. They are great as an accessory- in addition to, but they can't hold a console on their own.

Thankfully they don't have to because Switch is getting plenty of other games as well.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Hollow Knight, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
New 3DS: Radiant Historia
PS4 Pro: God of War
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

kkslider5552000

I can respect that but tbh, there's a real good chunk of indie games that are more visually appealing to me than say, a lot of my Xbox 360 games. Even the ones I genuinely loved. Even when the Xbox 360 was still relevant. Now, I can't one to one compare that because much of those games came out after 360's lifespan, but the best looking indie games now look better than 360 games did the day they came out, I feel confident in saying that. A lot of the time, no amount of high fidelity graphics can compare to the right art style, utilized well enough. And quite frankly, there's also a decent chunk of indies making graphically impressive games in technical sense too, especially the ones with enough financial backing (depending on how you define indie).

I will also say to be fair, Switch is in particular biased towards "retro inspired indie stuff" over the ones that go in radically different directions from that. But there's still a big difference between 8-bit inspired game 93941 and the last Shantae graphically.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Shellcore

I don't reject indies (in the context we are talking about them), but am not convinced the droves of 8-bit games are "inspired" just by classics of the past. I imagine a lot is inspired by lower development costs. I get it, but lets not be naïve; a lot of these guys would make full whack modern games if they could. White knighting games because they are made by smaller companies is fine, but sometimes pushing the boundaries of technology with a good ol' blockbuster is the itch that needs scratching. Each to their own, but needs to cater to everyone (if they want everyone to buy a Switch as has been stated).

FragRed

@Shellcore "am not convinced the droves of 8-bit games are "inspired" just by classics of the past. I imagine a lot is inspired by lower development costs"

Is that true? I have heard that creating decent sprite work is incredibly expensive due to the fact there aren't a large number of people who do it anymore and it's potentially the reason the next Mega Man game is going full 2.5D with a modern look whereas the past two games were 8 bit sprite based.

ENGAGE VG NEWS & REVIEWS SITE LAUNCHING SOON: www.engagevg.com

Octane

@FragRed I find that hard to believe. There's plenty of people creating sprite-based artwork out there. On top of that, quite a few games don't have very complicated sprite work either.

The reason Mega Man is going 3D is because 3D models aren't that difficult to produce, Mega Man doesn't even look that good in 3D (it's a very simple and standard 3D style), and they probably hope to appeal to a bigger audience with a 3D game instead of another 8-bit game.

Anyway, sprites are in general easier to make than 3D models (or at least, if you stick to a simple art style like a game like Celeste for example). You don't need extensive knowledge on 3D model making, and you could even make your sprites in Paint of Photoshop if you wanted to.

Octane

Shellcore

@FragRed Full disclosure: I have no idea. I tried to research but nothing concrete. The general consensus is that 3D can be trickier due to using multiple materials, surface reflections, lighting and shadow effects etc. 2D animation can also be hard due to the amount of frames needed, which is why not many 2D games feature complex animation. Swings and roundabouts, but was just my observation that smaller studios seem to use 2D sprites a lot. I would argue that they weren't all inspired by the same thing. Either they cant see how many other studios say the same thing, or its cheaper.

Scrummer

@rallydefault You're kind of generalizing all these games into a single, vague genre. For instance, while yes, Uncharted is an action-adventure game, it could also probably be classified as a 3D platformer, and third-person shooter, while the Assasin's creed games could be classified as stealth, and 3D platformer again. God of War could be classified as Beat-em-up/Hack and slash, etc.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

NaviAndMii

Scrummer wrote:

Uncharted is an action-adventure game, it could also probably be classified as a 3D platformer, and third-person shooter

...or an interactive movie with occasional controller support

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Events | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Scrummer

@NaviAndMii True, but for some reason, even though I value gameplay over story, Uncharted 4 is still one of my favorite games of all time. I guess I just have weird tastes

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

Fight_Teza_Fight

NaviAndMii wrote:

Scrummer wrote:

Uncharted is an action-adventure game, it could also probably be classified as a 3D platformer, and third-person shooter

...or an interactive movie with occasional controller support

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

@NaviAndMii Only seems like that to someone that's had limited exposure to these games.
Naughty Dog are masters at transitioning between animation and gameplay. Don't know why that's considered a bad thing. There's more gameplay in 1 hour of Uncharted then there's in most video games.
Also I take that quality 1 hour over 30 hours of open world busy work every time.

@rallydefault I don't understand what your point here is exactly. Indie games get more recognition now then they ever have. Rocket League, Hellblade, Celeste, Owlboy, Inside, The Witness... .
The good games get recognition, the bad games- of which there are many, get scrutinized.

You list some of the greatest and most innovative games ever made as if, they are...a bad thing?

The Switch is lacking big budget AAA games. So what fills the void? Indies.
There's nothing wrong with that. Sony did the exact same thing with the PS4.
There's more visibility for them on Switch. So your going to get a lot of games, some good, some bad.

How many AAA games launch every month? 3-5 tops?
How many indie games launch every month? 20+?
They far outweigh AAA, so obviously they'll be criticized more often.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic