Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 26,061 to 26,080 of 69,964

OorWullie

Was just thinking the other day after the Nindies Showcase finished. Before it started everyone was talking about what games they hoped to see or what developers they hoped to hear from. I didn't notice one person mention Shinen. I then played FAST RMX that evening and remembered just how great a game that is on Switch. So much better than the Wii U version, which was pretty great too. The upgraded graphics over Neo are really something and the gameplay just feels much tighter too. It's been a year since that came out and they said back then they were working on something else totally different than anything else they've done. Perhaps we'll find what that is at E3. Whatever it is, it'll be a real looker.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

link3710

@JaxonH I've never played the series before, but I'm excited from what I've seen so far.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
The original is one of the greats, and I'm confident makes it on to many a "Top 50 Games of All Time" lists. Certainly for strategy games. It's like the DKC Tropical Freeze of strategy games- best in class. Only Fire Emblem can rival it imo.

Unfortunately, the sequel, Valkyria Chronicles 2, was on PSP and scaled down as a result. And the 3rd game was not only PSP, but also Japan only. And the recent spinoff, Valkyria Revolution, fell prey to developers giving too much weight to fan feedback, which of course was "make it more strategic" as you'd expect, which just didn't mesh well with the action focus. If you're going to do a spinoff, do a spinoff. Don't try to please everyone, cause then you're left with a game that pleases no-one.

But this? This is a return to glory. Full HD console entry, a return to the blueprint of the first game, with the same watercolor art style and gameplay mechanics (improved upon of course). It's everything people wanted and then some.

If they release a limited edition, I'll buy it. $250 and I'll still buy it. This game is an automatic purchase in whatever capacity it's offered. Will also be a day one digital purchase as well, with the season pass. For 24/7 access, as all timeless classics deserve. And it will be a timeless classic. If it's even anywhere close to being as good as the first game... it will be a timeless classic. But I'm banking on it being even better.

October 16th. Earmark it on your calendar. This game is one of those "once in a generation" type games. I still have to slap myself telling myself it's real... and coming to Switch.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

darkfenrir

@JaxonH How strategic is the strategy really? I find myself really sucks in strategy department- and didn't find much fun in playing games like TRPG (Like Disgaea/Luminous Arc, both 1 and 2/FFTA2 just to give examples, even Fire Emblem didn't really pull me for its strategy)

:S I'm quite interested in it after reading your excitement- but I worry that I won't find it that much fun since I personally sucks in this matter.

darkfenrir

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Is it like most Fire Emblem games in which previous games in the series don't mean anything to the plot or is the decision to release on Switch about as pointless as releasing Kingdom Hearts 3 on XB1?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@darkfenrir
I think there's a deep amount of strategy, but, it's one of the easier strategy games to get into. It's no XCOM or Disgaea, if that's what you're asking.

The 3rd person perspective and free range of movement makes it feel more similar to a 3rd person shooter. You first see a view of an overhead map for your overall strategy but then it transitions to the real world and you control your characters. You get a certain number of moves for your team, and each person can go a certain distance before their meter runs out. Typically you run out to cover like at some sandbags or behind a truck or whatever, then fire. The reason you want cover is because the enemy can counter attack and also, you want to be prepared for when it's their turn. But there are 5 (6 for this new entry) different classes so you will have snipers, shocktroopers, engineers, lancers and scouts, and a new class, each with different strengths and weaknesses for their applicable roles.

You can drive tanks in some of the missions and climb up onto roof tops, take multiple paths... The game is very much driven by your own play style.

It is very much a strategy game, let me be forthright about that, but, it's a very different kind of strategy game. It's not all stats and it's not completely turn based. It's more focused on surprise attacks, positioning, leveraging each class for different situations, etc. when you take a shot there is a chance you will miss (like Splatoon, there is natural margin of error on the shot, or variability in the shot). But the closer you get, The smaller the margin of error becomes. Headshots do more damage but, they are harder to pull off due to the smaller bullseye target and margin of error surrounding it. So it boils down to a risk and reward situation. Do you go for the headshot from a safe distance and risk missing? Or do you move in closer for sure kill but expose yourself to remaining enemy forces?

I think it's worth a buy. There's no guarantee you will like a strategy game if you are not into strategy but I firmly believe every person can enjoy every genre... it just takes finding the right game. And between Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Fire Emblem 16 (and maybe even Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle) there are 3 solid choices on Nintendo Switch. If none of those do it for you, nothing will 😃

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

darkfenrir

@JaxonH Hmmm, that's true, and that does sounds really interesting! I think I'll give it a look and see how much it'll be first before trying it (or see if I finished my other JRPGs!) Will put it on my "Thinking about it" list though

Thank you for explaining it.

(Is it more alike Mario+Rabbids then I guess?)

darkfenrir

JaxonH

@darkfenrir
Um, no it's definitely not like Mario Rabbids.

Think Code Name STEAM, but with a fantasy WWII setting and a gorgeous watercolor art style and far more movement, freedom and depth and a good story and characters you come to love...

And looks like this

Untitled

darkfenrir

@JaxonH Ah gotcha!

Alright will think about it then >:] Thank you for explaining it to me

darkfenrir

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
This one is a new story. It's set in the same timeframe as the first game, but involves a new cast of characters and their plight.

You don't need to play the previous games. If you did, everyone would be screwed seeing as the 3rd game never even came west, and the 2nd game released a decade ago so people would have long forgotten anyways.

Ps: as pointless as KH3 on X1 is, I'd gladly take a Switch version. Although, I question how long it'll be until these companies abolish Xbox One entirely in favor of Switch. You can look at any multi platform game coming to all three systems on Amazon, and Switch is consistently selling more than either PS4 or X1. Be it Attack On Titan 2, Dark Souls Remastered, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Pillars of Eternity 2, even BlazBlue. Switch version is consistently higher on the sellers list. Now, for PS4 I imagine it might end up being a tossup because they're usually reasonably close. But for X1? Games that are like #400 on Switch and #600 on PS4... are like #5,000 on Xbox One. It's ridiculous how badly games are placing for that platform. And I don't care how easy it is to port from PS4, with Switch all but guaranteeing PS4-like sales for just about any non-mega AAA franchise, there's no way they're seeing higher revenue from X1 than a Switch investment. They're just flushing money down the toilet with some of these X1 versions.

Blathers

I just want Falcom to revive Vantage Master

Then I can be a TRPG elitist without constantly referring to a 20 year old game or its PSP port

Edited on by Blathers

Stay safe, kids: Make sure to save frequently during multiplayer, and always use a stylus!

3DS Friend Code: 1848-2106-5430

JoyBoy

@JaxonH This game looks great. I seem to love everything about it. Code name steam on steroids? Sure,
I’ll pick this up.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

JaxonH

@Spanjard
The original got remastered on PC and PS4. I wish they'd bring that one over also.

But hey, I'm not complaining. I'm getting a brand new Valkyria Chronicles game on the slickest portable device ever made. I count my blessings.

Alot of PS3 fans heralded the original as one of the best games of the 7th genetation. I'm kinda surprised more people didn't pick up the remaster given the incredible word of mouth it had.

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal Well yeah, that's the point. Kingdom Hearts is already such an anti-newcomer franchise as it is, the least they could do is release 1.5, 2.5 and 2.8 on all platforms 3 is releasing on.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Harmonie

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@DarthNocturnal Well yeah, that's the point. Kingdom Hearts is already such an anti-newcomer franchise as it is, the least they could do is release 1.5, 2.5 and 2.8 on all platforms 3 is releasing on.

I've heard around that Sony has the exclusive rights to any releases of Kingdom Hearts I and II (so I.5 and II.5 can not be released outside of Sony consoles, apparently), but I've just heard that from people who are more knowledgeable on the subject than me.

Oh well, lets be honest here... It's not like the story makes sense to those of us who have played the whole series anyway. Lol.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

electrolite77

@YummyHappyPills

Cheapest current price for DOOM is 448 Rand on the South African eshop. Use Revolut to get it for £26.68.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Haruki_NLI

@electrolite77 Guess I have to add I dont want to be making myriad accounts XD

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

electrolite77

@YummyHappyPills

Yeah no worries. Just thought I'd mention it.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

OorWullie

@electrolite77 I've got 6 accounts on my Switch, UK, US, Japan, South Africa, Russia and Norway. I've saved well over 200 quid from UK prices with my US account, around £80 with my South Africanl,a few quid on Outlast with my Russian account and my Norwegian account I just started to use last month but have already saved around £30.Ill be using my South African account to purchase Outlast 2 on Tuesday where it's £12 cheaper than the UK. For the 10 minutes in total it took me to set those accounts up I've saved around £350 over the last 9 months.That's basically the price of the console a Pro controller and an Eshop game. Not bad at all. I actually like having the extra icons on the home screen anyway.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic