Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 25,981 to 26,000 of 30,480

JaxonH

@Caldorosso-E
I mentioned Brian Altano from IGN. Watch the Nintendo Voice Chat episode. Couldn't tell you where in the hour long video he says it though

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, South Park Fractured But Whole, Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero
New 3DS: Radiant Historia
PS4 Pro: God of War
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

PLATINUM7

@Octane
If you're talking about Phil Spencer he often acknowleges the competition. He acknowledges them too much if you ask people commenting on PushSquare.

PLATINUM7

3DS Friend Code: 1246-8735-0293 | Nintendo Network ID: PLATINUM7

bluemage1989

Having a craving for a Mario and Sonic game but not as much as a Mario Party for Switch.

Currently Playing:

Switch: Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Doom and Arms.

WiiU: Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and Mario Party 10.

N64: Donkey Kong 64 and Jet Force Gemini.

Xbox One: Battlefield 1 and Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

StuTwo

@Octane it’s easier to compliment the ‘competition’ from a position of unchallenged supremacy. They’re no threat so you can ruffle their hair say ‘haven’t they grown and aren’t they doing well in school’.

If your job is potentially on the line then it’s much harder to talk up the competition.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

rallydefault

@StuTwo
True, but Nintendo has been historically tight-lipped about "liking" certain parts of the competition whereas, at least in the last 10ish year, Phil Spencer and that Sony dude have been on the record a few times applauding Nintendo's hardware and games. Yes, that would mean it plays into your scenario because Nintendo was doing pretty badly for awhile there, but eh - it's still something. Even when Nintendo was on "top" with the Wii, you didn't see them saying how awesome Last of Us or Gears or War were.

That would be pretty funny, though... I mean... I don't know. I can't really picture Iwata playing Gears of War. His whole thing with games is to just jump in and have fun, and although Gears can be "fun" at certain points, it's more like an experience that you need to commit time to.

rallydefault

Octane

@StuTwo True, but there's people like Sid Shuman or Reggie, who are essentially big PR puppets, and there are people like Yoshida who have no problem admitting owning and loving games that the company they work for didn't make. That's why I don't like the pre-shows for Sony's events, 30 minutes to an hour listening to Sid Shuman. Nope

Octane

JaxonH

Nintendo is the only one who never really congratulates, but I think their conservative, tight lipped approach has a lot to do with that. I did see that dude in the treehouse (kind of mid skinned, he looked like half black and half white or something like that) talk about owning every console and he seems like such a cool dude.

I feel like Reggie is beholden to the Japanese higher ups. He can't ever really say anything without permission first. Kinda feel bad for the guy. He takes a lot of flak and can't ever respond properly. Like Metroid. He knew Metroid was in the works, and he had all these people pestering him about it, but couldn't talk. Finally he told somebody "ask me again this time next year". And that's when I knew they had a game in development. People don't give him enough credit but he's really good with speaking between the lines. But obviously that means you have to read between the lines. Which is why I know we are getting cloud saves. He made a similar comment "wouldn't that be SO nice!". You're not going to say that about a feature you're not offering. Wouldn't that be SO nice? Ya, but we're never gonna do it, sorry.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, South Park Fractured But Whole, Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

GrailUK

Thing is. Nintendo don't see themselves in competition with chip sets in boxes. What are they going to congratulate? 'Well done for making the same thing again only more powerful and expensive!' The other 2 companies at least can be thinking 'Oh, thank you for showing us there IS a future in mobile technologies' etc etc and they can start having conversations about it.

Edit* That sounded a tad fan boyist lol, but in all seriousness...we all pretty much have the same vision of what PS5 and XBox2 will be.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I somewhat agree about Reggie, but rather than confirmation it being a higher chance than before. So like I think if the Wii U did well in holiday 2014, the E3 2014 teases of Mother 3 and 2 Gamepad support would've happened but as it didn't neither happened.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
That's fair.

I do believe Mother 3 is localized. Where there's smoke there's fire and even Nintendo teased it.

It was likely held back for Switch, and is still being held back for Online.

NOW PLAYING
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Octane

@JaxonH Mother 3 doesn't have any online features as far as I know.

Octane

JaxonH

@GrailUK
Nintendo is in competition whether they admit it or not. It might be less direct competition than PS/MS, but its competition nonetheless. And congratulating has nothing to do with them making anything. It should be for their success regardless of what they're doing.

PS and MS don't change because they don't need to nor do customers want them to. They've hit the nail on the head with what they have already.

NOW PLAYING
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Octane
You do have a point. But I believe that with the online service they could still release a few promotional games to get people on the bandwagon. But yes that's a very good point and actually works against the possibility. I suppose if they were selling other games then it wouldn't be a problem but I am convinced virtual console is gone as we know it. That's not to say a few select games couldn't release because I think they might sell NES, maybe SNES games, but that's about it. If they do it will be drip feed city.

NOW PLAYING
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Octane

@JaxonH I feel that there's way too much money to be made by selling older games for a few bucks. Look how many people are asking for PS1 Classics on PS4, or you know, actual PS2 Classics, since the current drip feed is a dozen times worse than Nintendo's VC release schedule ever was. Microsoft's emulated 'backwards compatibility' program is a big hit too.

I dunno. I never bought a lot of VC titles on the Wii, and since the Wii Shop is closing down soon, I don't think I ever will. I can't see the Wii U lasting much longer either unfortunately. I was hoping to be able to buy some SNES and N64 games on the Switch. I think it would be a shame if that never happened. In a perfect world all retro games would be available on a console day one.

I can always stick to emulation, but there's something about owning an official copy on an actual console...

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH That's the key factor that makes me think Mother 3 on Switch won't happen, it's a GBA game and as far as we know we're only getting select NES games via the paid online service. Unless Nintendo chooses to throw 3rd parties under a bus and release VC the same way they did on Wii/Wii U, it seems hopeless.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

Well, they can just release the game on the eShop. ''VC'' is just the brand name of their old games, but maybe they're doing away with that term. But it's not a rule, nor does it state that Nintendo can't release Mother 3 without releasing other classic titles.

Octane

Anti-Matter

@Grumblevolcano
I find Mother 3 GBA Cartridges from Ebay.

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (10 / 10)
2. The Sims series (9 / 10)
3. Portal Knights Switch (9 / 10)
4. Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS (9 / 10)
5. ARMS (8 / 10)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

bluemage1989

I can't think of a better time in Nintendos recent history where it has been more perfect to announce the release of Mother 3. Nintendo's riding high and an E3 that blows minds this year could take the Switch to the next level and Mother 3 could be a big part of that. Lots of people probably thought wed never see Star Fox 2 right until they announced it for the SNES mini

Currently Playing:

Switch: Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Doom and Arms.

WiiU: Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and Mario Party 10.

N64: Donkey Kong 64 and Jet Force Gemini.

Xbox One: Battlefield 1 and Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic