Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 25,841 to 25,860 of 69,981

TuVictus

They said that last time, too. It's a nice gesture, but I doubt it'd ever happen.

TuVictus

Spoony_Tech

http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/03/20/nintendo-releases-list-o...

I'm surprised Dig 2 is #1 if only because I don't think it held #1 on the shop for too long.

How is Rocket League not on that list? There must be certain criteria that it didn't meet for it not to be included. I figured it would be #1.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

@Octane I was looking for the word random or something similar but guess I overlooked that.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

meppi64

gcunit wrote:

As someone who has never been able to enjoy or get into Tetris at all, can anyone convince me I'd like Lumines, cos it looks pretty similar.

@Lroy
I'll try my best.
I obviously can't guarantee that you'll love the game as much as I do, or even that you'll like it, since I have no idea about the kind of games that speak to you.
But let me begin by saying the Lumines is very far removed from anything Tetris has to offer.
Besides both of the having falling blocks in them that stack at the bottom of the playing field, pretty much everything is completely different.

One of the hardest things to explain with only words is how seamlessly the gameplay and music is intertwined in Lumines, and also how they compliment each other perfectly.
The only way to really understand what I mean by that is to play the game yourself, I'm afraid.

You start the game with a cube of 4 blocks dropping down, each of these 4 blocks can be one of two colours. By creating a square of at least 4 blocks of the same colour at the bottom of the play field, or on top of other blocks for that matter, you can make these disappear when the line that moves from left to right across the screen goes over the edge of the most outward blocks.
It's important to mote that this line moves, eum, in line with the music. So this will be a big factor in how a particular stage plays. Bit later on that in a moment.

I mentioned creating a cube of 4 blocks of the same colour. Now this isn't all. That's just the minimum amount necessary to get blocked removed. The size of the cube can be as big as you can make it. 6x6 for instance. Or it can even be a cube 2x8, 4x6, it doesn't really matter.
It can also be a combination of overlapping cubes or squares as long as there's at least a shape of a 4x4 cube in each piece that you want removed.
It sounds way more complicated than it really is when you play the game yourself.

Now back to the line that removes these shapes.
Each level plays a certain song, and each song is linked with a certain skin. So levels and blocks don't only change their appearance, the soundtrack Aldo changes along.
So if you play a stage with a high tempo, the line will move really fast, making it hard to create big shapes of blocks, but also very fast to clear any shape you create.
A song with a slower tempo will make the line move really slow as well.
Good, you'll say as it will allow you to create huge shapes, which will reward you with big points.
The catch here is that you'll need to be careful to not end up filling the screen to the top, because if there isn't any more room for new blocks, it's game over. So each stage creates its own challenge in that way.

But that's all just the technical parts of the game.
The best thing about Lumines, besides being a simplistic, yet brilliant puzzle game in its own right, is how Tetsuya Mizuguchi was able to create something in which it's easy to lose yourself into. Not very surprising for the man that created Rez and Space Channel 5.
Again, this is really hard to explain this to someone who hasn't played the game.
It's a similar feeling to playing your favourite racing game which you know inside out, to the point where you can just put it on and slip right into the flow state where the game seems to be playing itself and you're almost just a spectator, even though it's you that's performing every single move.
It's the only puzzle game that I've ever played that is able to do this very thing.
(PS for me that racing game is Sega Rally 1995, which also happens to be created by the same man. I doubt that's coincidence)

Once you get the hang of it, the gameplay, triply visuals and music start the melt into one another and seemingly become one in the same.
No wonder the man puts a lot of emphasis on synaesthesia.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

gcunit

@meppi64 I can't knock you for effort, that's for sure. Thanks for taking the time. I won't write it off yet

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

OorWullie

Nintendo have said that Eshop navigation will be improved for “better discoverability”.

They also said that in the US 3rd party games are selling better digitally than physically. Are they implying that Doom, FIFA, Skyrim etc have done better digitally than at retail or are they including indie games that have had physical releases as well and that's just an overall picture?Who knows but it'd be interesting if it's the former. We already know for every 5 1st party games sold, 4 are at retail.

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-highlights-strong-dig...

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

IceClimbers

@OorWullie I think they just mean third party titles in general. Might be wrong though.

It's not surprising though. There's limited options for retail titles (Doom, Skyrim, Dragon Ball, Mario + Rabbids, Super Bomberman R, etc) and some of the games had limited physical runs (Puyo Puyo Tetris, Disgaea 5, etc).

@Spoony_Tech Yeah I'd say they're not counting Rocket League as an indie

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

IceClimbers

February NPD results are in!
https://www.resetera.com/threads/npd-february-2018-monster-hu...

PS4 took the #1 spot in hardware for the month. Switch continues it's record breaking pace however. Switch is the highest selling console platform in history during the first 12 months!

Bayonetta 2 charted at 14, which is an excellent result. Did better than it's Wii U debut! It was also #4 on the individual Switch chart.

Monster Hunter World was the #1 selling title overall again, which is fantastic. Dragon Ball FighterZ was #4, which is a very strong hold!

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

EvilLucario

Xenoblade 2 isn't top 10 best selling Switch games ;(

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Gamer83

@IceClimbers

Bayonetta 2 charted at 14, which is an excellent result. Did better than it's Wii U debut! It was also #4 on the individual Switch chart.

That's great news. I think Japanese sales were a pretty big disappointment and it didn't perform great in the UK either (don't know about all of Europe) but at least it got a solid start in North America despite no advertising outside of some videos on Nintendo's official youtube channel. Hopefully it'll find a decent market and Bayo 3 can garner more sales. Didn't play a game in this series until this collection came out and I don't know what I was thinking by avoiding it previously. These kind of games are right up my alley and something that is severely missing these days. With God of War going in a new direction and DMC and Ninja Gaiden m.i.a. there needs to be something to fill the void.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

EvilLucario

Bayonetta 3 would sell better solely because it's on a more popular system while enough positive word-of-mouth graced Bayonetta for the past few years. Heck, even Bayonetta 2 sold decently well considering it's a more niche game stuck on an undersold system.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

All I know is, I got Lumines on Vita but never actually played it. But the reason I got it is because people were raving about it, even back on PSP. It's been one of the highlight Sony handheld games since they started making handhelds. It's only fitting it comes to Switch now that Sony has backed away from the handheld market. Carry the torch.

I can't say it's good because I haven't personally played it but I know that every single person I know that has ever owned a Vita or PSP has raved about the game. So it's going to be an instant buy for me.

I started playing Attack On Titan 2. As someone completely naïve to anime, I went into this game with no expectations. And I gotta say I'm really impressed. This game is way better than you would think given the fact almost nobody is talking about it. It's a really good game.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

ArtheXavier

Lumines is brilliant. It really is one of the best zone-out games that I have ever played, and I can't wait to get it on Switch. Will pour dozens of hours into it.

Switch Friend code: SW-1992-7925-5001 | Nintendo name: Arthe

rallydefault

@OorWullie
I think the Nintendolife article said something like over 50% of sales for many of those big 3rd party games are digital.

So that would mean whatever physical sales numbers we're seeing need to at least be doubled for what they sold digitally.

rallydefault

Haruki_NLI

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana launches June 26th in North America. No word on Europe yet.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@YummyHappyPills A month before Octopath... well, it's better than launching right after, I guess. Nice to have a date nailed down!

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haruki_NLI

Now we just got word ARK: Survival Evolved is coming to Switch.

I mean...ok.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

As much as I feel like Sony is showing up Nintendo right now (and it is: consider how much buzz SotC and MHW have gotten!), my Switch isn't going to be lacking any exciting games to play this year.

April: Gal Gun 2; South Park: The Fractured But Whole
May: Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition; Dark Souls Remastered; Mega Man Legacy Collections 1 + 2
June: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
July: Octopath Traveler; Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

I won't be purchasing even half of those games in that timeframe. And that's not to mention Hollow Knight, other upcoming indies that aren't dated yet, any of Nintendo's first-party stuff that'll inevitably dominate the later part of the year, Valkyria Chronicles 4, etc.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic