Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 24,721 to 24,740 of 69,963

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah Pro controller motion controls is pretty much Splatoon 2 and split Joy-con motion controls is pretty much Prime Trilogy.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Harmonie

rallydefault wrote:

I find the "oh look another pixelated indie platformer" thing hilarious because nobody ever says "oh here's another 3rd-person action adventure 3rd-party game." I mean, come on - aside from your fps games like Battlefront and CoD, that's pretty much what the big 3rd-party games have been for the last 5 or 10 years.

Last of Us
Division
All Assassin's Creed games
All Mass Effect
All Gears
All Tomb Raider
All Lord of the Rings
All GTA
All Uncharted
MOST Resident Evil
All God of War
Shadow of Colossus
All Metal Gear
That PS4 game with the huge dog/bird companion that was meh

I mean, how big do you some of you fabricate your blinders to be? You're talking dozens and dozens of the biggest games in the last 5 years from that quick list (probably missing another dozen franchises or so), most of which have annual sequels, but we're quicker to criticize indies?

You could say that, I guess. However, I think the difference is that the 3rd party action-adventure games are games designed in a modern, 'current' way. Pixilated Indies? They're designed in an archaic style that mimics that which would normally be found only on limited hardware from over a couple of decades ago. They're catering specifically to an audience that still wants games in this kind of style.

I am not one of those people, so they are a turn-off for me. You can't expect everyone to go for that kind of style any more than I can expect everyone to love the harpsichord over the piano like me. The piano has technological improvements that make it superior to the harpsichord. Most people and institutions not only prefer piano, but don't even have a harpsichord. It's sad for me, wanting to play accompanied by a harpsichord... But what can I do?

I know probably not a perfect comparison, but it's the one that comes to mind for me.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

JaxonH

DOOM update is hype! Actually added motion controls, fixed audio issues, menu fixes, new icon, probably gobs more.

And ya, I appreciate Indies as much as you could reasonably expect, but I get burnt out on them really quick when they are all in the same style.

But I don't get burnt out on modern games because... they are modern. They vary so much in how they look and in how they play and unlike 8-bit pixelated games, I don't get sick of the art style. In fact I love looking at gorgeous modern games.

I'm not saying modern AAA games are all I care about but, to be perfectly honest I value them much more than an indie. Even masterpiece indies like SteamWorld Dig 2, Celeste, Shovel Knight, etc don't appeal to me nearly as much as a modern masterpiece. I still enjoy them but, like most things in life... in moderation. I could play nothing but modern games day and night, week in week out, year after year and not be tired of them, because technology has progressed to a point where games are big and expansive and beautiful to look at and the gameplay mechanics in place are so much more complex than what indie games offer. I still love Indies, and I welcome the truckload that is being dumped onto Switch, but all the indies in the world can't substitute for good, modern games. They are great as an accessory- in addition to, but they can't hold a console on their own.

Thankfully they don't have to because Switch is getting plenty of other games as well.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kkslider5552000

I can respect that but tbh, there's a real good chunk of indie games that are more visually appealing to me than say, a lot of my Xbox 360 games. Even the ones I genuinely loved. Even when the Xbox 360 was still relevant. Now, I can't one to one compare that because much of those games came out after 360's lifespan, but the best looking indie games now look better than 360 games did the day they came out, I feel confident in saying that. A lot of the time, no amount of high fidelity graphics can compare to the right art style, utilized well enough. And quite frankly, there's also a decent chunk of indies making graphically impressive games in technical sense too, especially the ones with enough financial backing (depending on how you define indie).

I will also say to be fair, Switch is in particular biased towards "retro inspired indie stuff" over the ones that go in radically different directions from that. But there's still a big difference between 8-bit inspired game 93941 and the last Shantae graphically.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Shellcore

I don't reject indies (in the context we are talking about them), but am not convinced the droves of 8-bit games are "inspired" just by classics of the past. I imagine a lot is inspired by lower development costs. I get it, but lets not be naïve; a lot of these guys would make full whack modern games if they could. White knighting games because they are made by smaller companies is fine, but sometimes pushing the boundaries of technology with a good ol' blockbuster is the itch that needs scratching. Each to their own, but needs to cater to everyone (if they want everyone to buy a Switch as has been stated).

FragRed

@Shellcore "am not convinced the droves of 8-bit games are "inspired" just by classics of the past. I imagine a lot is inspired by lower development costs"

Is that true? I have heard that creating decent sprite work is incredibly expensive due to the fact there aren't a large number of people who do it anymore and it's potentially the reason the next Mega Man game is going full 2.5D with a modern look whereas the past two games were 8 bit sprite based.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

@FragRed I find that hard to believe. There's plenty of people creating sprite-based artwork out there. On top of that, quite a few games don't have very complicated sprite work either.

The reason Mega Man is going 3D is because 3D models aren't that difficult to produce, Mega Man doesn't even look that good in 3D (it's a very simple and standard 3D style), and they probably hope to appeal to a bigger audience with a 3D game instead of another 8-bit game.

Anyway, sprites are in general easier to make than 3D models (or at least, if you stick to a simple art style like a game like Celeste for example). You don't need extensive knowledge on 3D model making, and you could even make your sprites in Paint of Photoshop if you wanted to.

Octane

Shellcore

@FragRed Full disclosure: I have no idea. I tried to research but nothing concrete. The general consensus is that 3D can be trickier due to using multiple materials, surface reflections, lighting and shadow effects etc. 2D animation can also be hard due to the amount of frames needed, which is why not many 2D games feature complex animation. Swings and roundabouts, but was just my observation that smaller studios seem to use 2D sprites a lot. I would argue that they weren't all inspired by the same thing. Either they cant see how many other studios say the same thing, or its cheaper.

Scrummer

@rallydefault You're kind of generalizing all these games into a single, vague genre. For instance, while yes, Uncharted is an action-adventure game, it could also probably be classified as a 3D platformer, and third-person shooter, while the Assasin's creed games could be classified as stealth, and 3D platformer again. God of War could be classified as Beat-em-up/Hack and slash, etc.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

NaviAndMii

Scrummer wrote:

Uncharted is an action-adventure game, it could also probably be classified as a 3D platformer, and third-person shooter

...or an interactive movie with occasional controller support

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Scrummer

@NaviAndMii True, but for some reason, even though I value gameplay over story, Uncharted 4 is still one of my favorite games of all time. I guess I just have weird tastes

Scrummer

Fight_Teza_Fight

NaviAndMii wrote:

Scrummer wrote:

Uncharted is an action-adventure game, it could also probably be classified as a 3D platformer, and third-person shooter

...or an interactive movie with occasional controller support

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

@NaviAndMii Only seems like that to someone that's had limited exposure to these games.
Naughty Dog are masters at transitioning between animation and gameplay. Don't know why that's considered a bad thing. There's more gameplay in 1 hour of Uncharted then there's in most video games.
Also I take that quality 1 hour over 30 hours of open world busy work every time.

@rallydefault I don't understand what your point here is exactly. Indie games get more recognition now then they ever have. Rocket League, Hellblade, Celeste, Owlboy, Inside, The Witness... .
The good games get recognition, the bad games- of which there are many, get scrutinized.

You list some of the greatest and most innovative games ever made as if, they are...a bad thing?

The Switch is lacking big budget AAA games. So what fills the void? Indies.
There's nothing wrong with that. Sony did the exact same thing with the PS4.
There's more visibility for them on Switch. So your going to get a lot of games, some good, some bad.

How many AAA games launch every month? 3-5 tops?
How many indie games launch every month? 20+?
They far outweigh AAA, so obviously they'll be criticized more often.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

NaviAndMii

@Scrummer Yeah, tastes can be quite irrational things - I didn't enjoy Uncharted 4 all that much (or the Tomb Raider reboots for the same reason) ..but, curiously, I did like Telltale's The Walking Dead - which, if anything, was even lighter on gameplay! :/ ..inexplicable! Haha!

@Fight_Teza_Fight I just found it really infuriating that the game would give me full control for all of the mundane sections - but whenever anything cool happened, they'd take control away from me! ..it felt maddening - even (dare I say) lazy!

I (generally) much prefer games that weave some intense gameplay elements in to those 'cinematic' sections - the way that U4 forced me to just be a mere spectator instead felt wholly frustrating, unsatisfying and immersion breaking to me...

I felt the same about the (unrelated, but similarly annoying) widely-praised Tomb Raider reboots - whenever Lara would get to a cool cliff jump or something, they'd rip the controls away! ..did my head in!

...just not my bag at all - ah well, each to their own I guess!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

link3710

@FragRed As someone who can do both (not well, but still), I'm confident to say that the 2D sprites you'll see in most indie games are far easier to make. What's really key to figuring that out is two things: The level of detail, and number of sprites. And that's not just resolution. Hyper Light Drifter's spritework is bursting with quality and a detailed sense of graphic design. But it's not just the ease of creating assets. Rigging models in a 3D-space is a far more advanced technique than learning how to make sprites interact. So if you're just starting out and want to make a good game, you'd be best off sticking to spritework and instead putting your focus on learning how to make engaging gameplay.

link3710

electrolite77

@GrailUK

They might not see themselves in competition but they are. And they could acknowledge the quality of the competitions games where it's justified. A nod to the quality of things like The Last of Us, Horizon or Forza Horizon 3 wouldn't have looked out of place.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Scrummer

@NaviAndMii Maybe it's because you expected a lot more gameplay from Uncharted, but expected an interactive story from the Walking Dead, thus you got what you wanted with TWD, but didn't get as much gameplay as you wanted with Uncharted.

Scrummer

Fight_Teza_Fight

@NaviAndMii That's fair enough. The Uncharted is a interactive movie narrative gets thrown about & it couldn't be any further from the truth. Just because those games are really pretty doesn't make them any less of a game. It just means Naughty Dog are very good at what they do.

Did anyone pick up Owlboy? How many hours of gameplay can I expect?
Worth the £19 price tag?

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

NaviAndMii

@Scrummer I think that you could be right...TWD was barely on my radar when I played it, so I could approach it with minimal expectations - whereas I was much more acutely aware of the 'hype' surrounding U4, so perhaps (unwittingly) set myself up to be underwhelmed!

U4 certainly isn't a bad game - far from it - it was just that one element that grated on me throughout and seemed to routinely dampen my enjoyment...add to that that I'm perhaps guilty of buying the game expecting it to be a '10/10'- and it just (unfairly) amplified the disappointment, I'm sure!

@Fight_Teza_Fight Yeah, it's a strange one - as I was saying to @Scrummer, I've played and enjoyed other story-driven games (like TWD) that have certainly been a lot lighter on the action front than U4 (TWD is little more than just pointing-and-clicking 99% of the time!) ..it might've been that I just unwittingly built my expectations up too high, or even perhaps something as simple as not being in quite the right mood for that style of game at the time? ..whatever it was, the game just didn't quite hook me as I hoped it might, unfortunately

Edited on by NaviAndMii

NEStalgia

@Fight_Teza_Fight I'm a fan of the Uncharted series very much, however, I also recognize that the criticism of ND, though exaggerated, isn't untrue. Uncharted 4 was kind a a peak of the series where they really did get their stride and started getting a little Prince of Persia/Tomb Raider (reboot) concept going on, but previous entries were very thin on gameplay too often, usually reverting to alternating times of walking while listening to narrative, followed by a very simple, albeit pretty, Hogan's Alley style shooting gallery game, then back again. I love the series for it's themes, locales, characters, and simple but enjoyable gunplay, but the faults of ND's design are genuine, though they'e showing signs of improvement lately.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic