Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 24,701 to 24,720 of 30,317

Grumblevolcano

I think the only way the paid online wouldn't happen is if Switch's 3rd party support isn't as good as Nintendo had hoped. There's never going to be many 1st party online games, that's just the nature of Nintendo's IPs. You'll get the odd few like Mario Kart, Splatoon and Smash as well as some new IPs like ARMS but the vast majority of online multiplayer games will always be 3rd parties so if the 3rd party support isn't as good as Nintendo had hoped then the total number of online multiplayer games will by default be limited.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NaviAndMii

@Therad True - I just think that it's bad P.R. for any company in this 'post-DOOM' era to use that as an excuse.

I'd have thought that they'd have tried to put a different kind of spin on it, that's all...but if they are just being honest - and that is the real reason - I don't think it looks great on them really.

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 SNES 🎮 N64 🎮 GB 🎮 GG 🎮 PC 🎮 PS2 🎮 GC 🎮 PSP 🎮 Wii 🎮 360 🎮 PS4 🎮 MD 🎮 NSW 🎮

MK8D (R: 8600, B: 2500)
Splatoon 2 (L: 63, CB: A, RM: A, SZ: A, TC: A)
Rocket League (L: 28 - Pro)

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii

Therad

@NEStalgia if I owned a steakhouse in Seattle and people started to move away from Seattle at a rapid pace I sure as hell wouldn't start up another steakhouse there. I would probably try and set up a new store in the neighboring city, since that seemed to expand at a rapid pace.

When they started development on world switch was still a twinkle in Iwatas eyes. There was no specs, no nothing. Even if they knew about the concept (which I very much doubt), there is no way to know if it would be a success. It is highly risky to be early on a console, especially as an exclusive. if it tanks, the same happens with your game. And not only that, even if it is a success, the install base is low. This means thst if the game is expensive to make, you might not get a return on your investment. Far better to release it on a console that has hit it's stride.

The conspiracy theory in your post I won't bother with until you provide proof.

Therad

Therad

@NaviAndMii it has always been a bad excuse if you do your own engine. But the reality is that Capcom isn't the healthiest company around, they will cut corners. It is quite possible they will look at porting it to the switch, but we have no way of knowing if their engine is scalable.

Therad

NEStalgia

@Therad except more people were flocking to Seattle and away from the neighboring areas. At least the people who buy streak.

I.e. Japan had been, by far, the core market of the mh product. Seeking to expand the market is fine but nobody abandons reliable sales for wishful ones. We'll, except Capcom who tried that before and almost lost the company.... We'll assume they learned from that err.

Japan wasn't leaving Nintendo platforms. Nintendo platforms never stopped dominating there. Even wiiu was holding almost parallel numbers to ps4 there before they indicated it was being abandoned for switch (nx) and sales stalled. Not that wiiu sold well but ps4 hasn't really sold well... No console does there...... But wiiu wasnt lagging there..... It was an extremely close#2 tv box while 3ds crushed all.

Japan makes the primary buyer of mh, and Japan plays on Nintendo without having signaled a slowing. Not even Capcom is foolish enough to not realize that and not have an offset for that. The xx Port scramble shows a recognition of that.

There's too much credibility to the leaks with too much now verified advance information from what could only have come from a high level to not give them serious weight. Lack of proof means it can't fly in a courtroom, but even in a courtroom, killers often go free despite jurors knowing nearly for sure the defendant is guilty, merely because circumstantial evidence can't convict and isn't irrefutable proof. This isn't a court. We're not convicting Capcom. But we can still know radio waves are traveling in the air without being able to photograph them

NEStalgia

GrailUK

@NEStalgia Are we sure Capcom simply isn't trying a new strategy to increase sales? I mean, making it eye candy and putting I on the current highest selling console is a no brainer I would have thought. I may be wrong, but haven't MH sales been on a decline with recent instalments, they couldn't have put it on the Wii U because it bombed and everyone was worried mobile would kill the 3DS. There is no conspiracy theory, just many analysts got a lot of stuff wrong. I'm sure Capcom will put a MH on Switch at somepoint. That is becoming a no brainer, same for most games.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

darkfenrir

@GrailUK Edit: Changed the sales number from vgchartz to another one official from capcom

1. MH Freedom 3 (PSP) - 4.9m
2. MH X (3DS) - 4.3m
3. MH4U (3DS) - 4.1m
4. MH4 (3DS) - 4.1m
5. MH Freedom Unite (PSP) - 3.8m
6. MH3G (3DS) - 2.6m
7. MH Freedom 2 (PSP) - 2.4m
8. MH Tri (Wii) - 1.9m
9. MH XX (3DS) - 1.8m
10. MH Freedom (PSP) - 1.3m

The rest is below 1m sales total.

Edited on by darkfenrir

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338 | 3DS Friend Code: 2122-5996-0541

Therad

@GrailUK Just wanted to add that no one knew what Nintendo would do after the Wii U and 3DS. And the 3DS would be old by the time a new monster hunter would be out, and ps4 would be in its prime. Wii U also was overtaken by ps4 quite quickly, even in Japan.

@darkfenrir To me it seems Capcom wanted more sales and Nintendo didn't have a platform where that could happen.

Therad

darkfenrir

@Therad I'm only pointing out the sales ( o-o)

We'll just see what happen next anyway, in 2 more days it'll release and we'll see how it fares.

darkfenrir

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo envisions several Switch consoles per household

http://nintendotoday.com/nintendo-envisions-several-switch-co...

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASKDW74W5KDWPLFA010.html

I feel like this is old news. Didn't he say this before?

Edit: He did.

Nintendo Hopes You’ll Love the Switch So Much, You’ll Buy More Than One

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/248783-nintendo-hopes-youl...

I guess he's just repeating that hope.

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

gcunit

@SLIGEACH_EIRE You felt it was old news, so you posted it anyway?

It's not even newsworthy in the first place, but don't let that stop you spamming the joint up...

@OorWullie It seems entirely possible to me that VC is going to be tied to the subscription in some way. It can't just be coincidence that we've not heard about either of them. Discounted or free VC with the subscription would entice a few I think.

Use the 'ignore' button, it works.

Currently playing: Rocket League; Splatoon 2; Super Mario Odyssey; Fire Emblem; Suikoden; Kirby Triple Deluxe; ICO; Gravity Rush; Ratchet & Clank; Red Faction: Guerilla; Fez; FIFA 18

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Frederic 2: Evil Strikes Back - Nintendo Switch Trailer

A definite nod to Smooth Criminal and Michael Jackson in there. Freddie Mercury as well. And the DeLorean.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

StuTwo

@FragRed DLC making sense isn’t so much a matter of how old or new a game is - it has more to do with how large and active the user base continues to be, how likely they are to buy for DLC, how cost effective producing DLC is and (to a lesser extent) how effective adding DLC is likely to be in promoting the base game.

My guess is that - on all of those counts - MK8 DLC makes complete sense. Nintendo will know for sure though because they have the usage figures.

Personally if I were running Nintendo there’d be Mario Kart 8 DLC every 6 months throughout the lifespan of the Switch. It’s easy money but it also elevates a mechanically perfect game into a package that’s basically impossible for the competition to ever match head on. Blizzard has never made a World of Warcraft 2...

I think it’s also worth bearing in mind that he original DLC wasn’t announced until nearly 6 months after launch so the idea it needs to be announced at or near launch is nonsense. Or at least that MK is so big and evergreen that the usual ‘rules’ don’t apply to the franchise.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

OorWullie

Just a little warning to anyone considering buying The Escapists 2. The game has major issues. I tried to load up my save file and was met with a message saying there was an error and the software will now close. Tried several times, same. Made new file, saved it then quit and tried to load it up, same again. Deleted it from system and downloaded again, same problem. Rebooted Switch, yep same again. I've had a look online and others are having the same issue. Some are having the game crash when playing it and are then unable to load the file again. The game is basically broken as it is just now. At 20 quid it's not exactly a cheap game so I'm rather annoyed. I've tweeted the developer so hopefully I'll hear back later. If not I'll be emailing Nintendolife to see if they'll report it. Doubt they will but they should.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

MajorTom

@darkfenrir
Capcom has their own site where they show all their games that sold over one million units, which also includes the unit numbers.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html
I assume that these numbers are more trustworthy than vgchartz.
Edit:
No problem.

Edited on by MajorTom

Ashes to ashes, funk to funky.
We know Major Tom's a junkie.
Strung out in heaven's high
hitting an all-time low.

darkfenrir

@MajorTom Ooooh, thank you for the link! Let me revise the sales number then

1. MH Freedom 3 (PSP) - 4.9m
2. MH X (3DS) - 4.3m
3. MH4U (3DS) - 4.1m
4. MH4 (3DS) - 4.1m
5. MH Freedom Unite (PSP) - 3.8m
6. MH3G (3DS) - 2.6m
7. MH Freedom 2 (PSP) - 2.4m
8. MH Tri (Wii) - 1.9m
9. MH XX (3DS) - 1.8m
10. MH Freedom (PSP) - 1.3m

well then, that looks a bit different!

darkfenrir

MFD

So, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 tends to have some serious frame-drops, specifically during a situation like this: https://images-ext-2.discordapp.net/external/mhtCqzjSrD06hfzz...

Nintendo's reaction "In regards to the frame rate drop, considering the game is a Nintendo Switch exclusive, the publisher certainly took the device's specifications into account when developing the game, and are aware of the frame drop, which is considered normal in certain situations during the game play, but abnormal, should this happen constantly. In which case we would suspect there may be something wrong with the game card itself."

Not sure what to think of that.....

Edited on by MFD

MFD

gcunit

@SLIGEACH_EIRE This is a discussion thread. Several of your contributions are limited to dropping hyperlinks or videos.

I don't know what you think listing all those sites who have published this story achieves, all it does is show that you're regurgitating something that's well publicised already.

If you continue to just drop any news story relating to a thread don't be surprised if we start treating it like spam and deleting it.

This is a discussion forum, not a tumblr blog for hyperlinks to someone else's content.

Edited on by gcunit

Use the 'ignore' button, it works.

Currently playing: Rocket League; Splatoon 2; Super Mario Odyssey; Fire Emblem; Suikoden; Kirby Triple Deluxe; ICO; Gravity Rush; Ratchet & Clank; Red Faction: Guerilla; Fez; FIFA 18

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@gcunit This thread is called "The Nintendo Switch Thread". It doesn't say that it's exclusively for discussion. There is no "Nintendo Switch News" thread and so I use this as the most relevant place to put news. This site publishes stories all the time that uses "someone else's content" as you put it. Now I could create a "Nintendo Switch News" thread but I see threads created and constantly deleted here. Would it be alright to create such a thread? But then I post on other forums and what sometimes ends up happening is discussion gets divided between threads as people discuss the news in news and general discussion threads.

Edit: The point to all those links is that those sites all published that story in the last 24 hours or so, that you deem isn't newsworthy. It's not spam, it's news even if Kimishima was just reiterating a hope he has that he previously made. I don't think that's really possible at the moment anyway as the Switch is very expensive. Maybe when it gets down around the €200 mark.

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic