Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 24,701 to 24,720 of 33,205

JaxonH

I have no doubt Nintendo will improve their online. Without question.

But at the end of the day, it's still gonna require a phone. Now, practically speaking, is that the end of the world? Well, no. If they allowed party chat at any time with any friend while playing any game via the app, I dare say it would be usable. Not the best solution, but usable. But something tells me we won't even get that. It'll probably be specific games, each with their own section in the app. And that's just unacceptable whether it's on a system level or on the phone.

And to be honest that's what bothers me more than simply using a phone. I can deal with the phone. What I can't deal with, is not having chat available any time with anyone for any game. Anything less is inadequate.

I'd love to be proven wrong, and if I am I'll be the first to concede Nintendo got it right. But I'm not holding my breath, and even if, by some miracle, they did allow such a system... it's still tied to a phone. Bleh.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Y'S VIII, Octopath Traveller, Shining Resonance Refrain, Captain Toad, Hollow Knight, Wolfenstein 2
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Dragon Age Origins, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

skywake

@JaxonH
As someone who pretty much always solo-queues and mutes I have to say I don't really care how they deal with voice chat. I won't be using it anyways. But there are other ways they can make their service worth the subscription. And they better considering that I couldn't care less about voice chat.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

Well PS4's online didn't get any better from Sony charging for online vs. free on PS3. The free games is how Sony got away with that. Given we know about the classic game collection thing for Switch, Nintendo could technically use the same strategy especially given how desperate Nintendo fans seem to be to play games like SMB3 yet again (the fact VS Super Mario Bros. is outselling most games on the eshop is evidence of this).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

@Grumblevolcano
Sony didn't have a trial period they kept extending either. Anyways, whatever they do the comments section will find a way to run with the same lines they always have. You only need to see the misinformed reaction to Labo to see how much some people have already made up their minds on everything Nintendo

Edited on by skywake

Pazzo-ZaFool

Even the Labo reaction was only salted by negativity, most people said "neat, but not for me" to "awesome!". Oy the die-hard corners disliked it.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

MFD

@JaxonH That was not meant negatively, and it was, as Inertiacreep says, sarcastic. Mobas are, as he says, very toxic and to take voice-chat on a game like that is to invite the angry screamy people to cuss at you all day.

MFD

JaxonH

@MFD
Gotchya. I seem to have misunderstood completely.

I've heard of the toxic communities recently. Maybe Switch will be better suited as it's more isolated from the main platforms of the genre. Hopefully, anyways. And it's a newer game. So it could build a new fanbase. Idk.

Maybe that's all wishful thinking

NOW PLAYING
NS: Y'S VIII, Octopath Traveller, Shining Resonance Refrain, Captain Toad, Hollow Knight, Wolfenstein 2
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Dragon Age Origins, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

skywake

Caldorosso-E wrote:

Even the Labo reaction was only salted by negativity, most people said "neat, but not for me" to "awesome!". Oy the die-hard corners disliked it.

Depends on what news sites you were looking at and how much you get annoyed by the bile I guess. Though I think there's something to be said for the idea that some will find a way to dislike Nintendo whatever they do. Especially post Wii U and even more now they're doing well again. I guess some people just like the idea of being in the crowd that "knows better" than the "sheep" who are buying into one brand of toy vs another. The more different Nintendo are and the more positive the reaction is the more they get worked up.

Edited on by skywake

rallydefault

@skywake
Exactly. It's so easy to take shots at Nintendo because they do crazy stuff like Labo.

Oh! I found a classic Nintendo comment the other day on some random site, forget where I was. Maybe Gamespot or something. It was the usual, "Obviously these 15 million people are ALL parents just buying this baby toy for their kids. ALL of the games on Switch are for little kids." etc. etc.

Brought a smile to my face.

rallydefault

FragRed

@rallydefault I once saw a massive rant on Gamespot back when Dark Souls was first rumoured to be coming to the Switch and man did he/she go mental. I mean, they really did not want this game near a kids toy because Nintendo gamers don't deserve the game under any circumstances. Will have to see if I can dig it up.

ENGAGE VG NEWS & REVIEWS SITE LAUNCHING SOON: www.engagevg.com

Knuckles-Fajita

@FragRed I recall that.

It was someone when the footageof the DS3 DLC was mistakenly labelled as on Switch and someone in the commentswas saying "Look the baby system cant even manage the 30fps and the textures are all muddy".

Then Gamespot corrected their mistake.it was the PS4 version.

Popcorn was enjoyed.

and the Mario Tennis Aces - NL Inklings: Grand Slam Tournament (August 18th)!

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

MFD

@JaxonH It depends. It's coming over from mobile, so there may be people migrating from that, and these people will start at the same level as completely new people. You can probably already guess what issues that can bring.

That aside, the fact that Nintendo will have nearly no means of communication may actually be a good thing here. Yes it limits what you can do when communicating with randoms, but those don't communicate much as is, and the idea of them having no chat nor voice-chat to use as harassment tools sound pretty good.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

FragRed

@YummyHappyPills There are a few who really don't like such games ever being on a "none mature" console. They must have been dropped on their head when a baby or something because that's is really sad to see, but also kinda funny.

MFD

@FragRed Isn't that a case of what one would call: To each their own? I can see why people look at Labo and think "I don't hope this is being developed while something else is being delayed/taken away from...."

Edited on by MFD

MFD

FragRed

@MFD Maybe if you are talking about first party titles, but Dark Souls is third party so it wouldn't affect resources, plus it is a game coming to other platforms at the same time so the team are fully focused on this project rather than being pulled away from something else.

MFD

@FragRed Where did Dark Souls come from? I meant anything within Nintendo.

MFD

NaviAndMii

rallydefault wrote:

@skywake
Exactly. It's so easy to take shots at Nintendo because they do crazy stuff like Labo.

Oh! I found a classic Nintendo comment the other day on some random site, forget where I was. Maybe Gamespot or something. It was the usual, "Obviously these 15 million people are ALL parents just buying this baby toy for their kids. ALL of the games on Switch are for little kids." etc. etc.

Brought a smile to my face.

...and such people often (conveniently) forget that 'kiddy' stuff like Skylanders, Little Big Planet, Disney Infinity, Sing Star, LEGO Dimensions, Just Dance (etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.) all come to the ultra-super-duper-hard-pro-core consoles as well!

Guess what, it's 2018 - and in 'the future', KIDS PLAY CONSOLE GAMES TOO! (..and your favourite publisher probably has a product line specifically for that market!)

All Nintendo have done with Labo is inject a fresh new type of creativity in to the genre - they haven't reinvented the wheel - and they're far from the only ones to have a line targeting a younger audience!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

FragRed

@NaviAndMii To be fair, it is a lot easier to take shots at Nintendo because the first party line up is more aimed towards the kids market than those of either Sony and Microsoft, as well as the fact it doesn't get all the mature third party support. So on a Nintendo console, the kiddy image is far more obvious to see than the other two.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic