Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 24,641 to 24,660 of 69,963

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I somewhat agree about Reggie, but rather than confirmation it being a higher chance than before. So like I think if the Wii U did well in holiday 2014, the E3 2014 teases of Mother 3 and 2 Gamepad support would've happened but as it didn't neither happened.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
That's fair.

I do believe Mother 3 is localized. Where there's smoke there's fire and even Nintendo teased it.

It was likely held back for Switch, and is still being held back for Online.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@JaxonH Mother 3 doesn't have any online features as far as I know.

Octane

JaxonH

@GrailUK
Nintendo is in competition whether they admit it or not. It might be less direct competition than PS/MS, but its competition nonetheless. And congratulating has nothing to do with them making anything. It should be for their success regardless of what they're doing.

PS and MS don't change because they don't need to nor do customers want them to. They've hit the nail on the head with what they have already.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Octane
You do have a point. But I believe that with the online service they could still release a few promotional games to get people on the bandwagon. But yes that's a very good point and actually works against the possibility. I suppose if they were selling other games then it wouldn't be a problem but I am convinced virtual console is gone as we know it. That's not to say a few select games couldn't release because I think they might sell NES, maybe SNES games, but that's about it. If they do it will be drip feed city.

Octane

@JaxonH I feel that there's way too much money to be made by selling older games for a few bucks. Look how many people are asking for PS1 Classics on PS4, or you know, actual PS2 Classics, since the current drip feed is a dozen times worse than Nintendo's VC release schedule ever was. Microsoft's emulated 'backwards compatibility' program is a big hit too.

I dunno. I never bought a lot of VC titles on the Wii, and since the Wii Shop is closing down soon, I don't think I ever will. I can't see the Wii U lasting much longer either unfortunately. I was hoping to be able to buy some SNES and N64 games on the Switch. I think it would be a shame if that never happened. In a perfect world all retro games would be available on a console day one.

I can always stick to emulation, but there's something about owning an official copy on an actual console...

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH That's the key factor that makes me think Mother 3 on Switch won't happen, it's a GBA game and as far as we know we're only getting select NES games via the paid online service. Unless Nintendo chooses to throw 3rd parties under a bus and release VC the same way they did on Wii/Wii U, it seems hopeless.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

Well, they can just release the game on the eShop. ''VC'' is just the brand name of their old games, but maybe they're doing away with that term. But it's not a rule, nor does it state that Nintendo can't release Mother 3 without releasing other classic titles.

Octane

bluemage1989

I can't think of a better time in Nintendos recent history where it has been more perfect to announce the release of Mother 3. Nintendo's riding high and an E3 that blows minds this year could take the Switch to the next level and Mother 3 could be a big part of that. Lots of people probably thought wed never see Star Fox 2 right until they announced it for the SNES mini

bluemage1989

Grumblevolcano

@faint People buy VC instead of 3rd party games if given the choice, look at the 3DS and Wii U eshop charts for proof.

Grumblevolcano

Eel

I somehow doubt virtual console stole away sales from third parties.

I mean, it's not like many people go to a store and say "well they don't have regular milk, so I'll go buy expensive imported almond milk instead". They will probably just not consider the almond milk at all because they wanted regular milk to begin with.

At the same time, people who want almond milk won't get distracted by the regular milk.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Grumblevolcano

@Tsurii Swap Mario Bros with something like SMB3, SMW or LttP and the outcome would be very different, don't you think?

Grumblevolcano

gcunit

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Unless Nintendo chooses to throw 3rd parties under a bus and release VC the same way they did on Wii/Wii U, it seems hopeless.

I think you're overstating the VC impact on 3rd parties. Can't quote any figures right now but I'm sure there were games that did well, e.g. Shovel Knight. If the ports are good, released simultaneously across platforms, and priced similarly, a decent amount of sales will follow. There are several bigger reasons certain 3rd party games might have struggled on Wii/U than VC.

VC would not have harmed the likes of Rocket League, Minecraft and Stardew Valley on Switch, because they were good ports of great games.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

1UP_MARIO

@Meowpheel great comment but also a delicious one

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Inertiacreep

JaxonH wrote:

Nintendo is the only one who never really congratulates, but I think their conservative, tight lipped approach has a lot to do with that. I did see that dude in the treehouse (kind of mid skinned, he looked like half black and half white or something like that) talk about owning every console and he seems like such a cool dude.

I feel like Reggie is beholden to the Japanese higher ups. He can't ever really say anything without permission first. Kinda feel bad for the guy. He takes a lot of flak and can't ever respond properly. Like Metroid. He knew Metroid was in the works, and he had all these people pestering him about it, but couldn't talk. Finally he told somebody "ask me again this time next year". And that's when I knew they had a game in development. People don't give him enough credit but he's really good with speaking between the lines. But obviously that means you have to read between the lines. Which is why I know we are getting cloud saves. He made a similar comment "wouldn't that be SO nice!". You're not going to say that about a feature you're not offering. Wouldn't that be SO nice? Ya, but we're never gonna do it, sorry.

[removed]

Edited on by Octane

Inertiacreep

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Inertiacreep wrote:

JaxonH wrote:

Nintendo is the only one who never really congratulates, but I think their conservative, tight lipped approach has a lot to do with that. I did see that dude in the treehouse (kind of mid skinned, he looked like half black and half white or something like that) talk about owning every console and he seems like such a cool dude.

I feel like Reggie is beholden to the Japanese higher ups. He can't ever really say anything without permission first. Kinda feel bad for the guy. He takes a lot of flak and can't ever respond properly. Like Metroid. He knew Metroid was in the works, and he had all these people pestering him about it, but couldn't talk. Finally he told somebody "ask me again this time next year". And that's when I knew they had a game in development. People don't give him enough credit but he's really good with speaking between the lines. But obviously that means you have to read between the lines. Which is why I know we are getting cloud saves. He made a similar comment "wouldn't that be SO nice!". You're not going to say that about a feature you're not offering. Wouldn't that be SO nice? Ya, but we're never gonna do it, sorry.

[removed]

C'mon, relax please. He wasn't trying to be offensive.

Edited on by Octane

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo are going to have to shake up and come up with a new idea for Virtual Console. They know they won't get away charging people for the umpteenth time for the same games. I can see a subscription type service tied into the paid online. They'll continue to sell the SNES and NES Classic Mini systems. The Gamecube VC games will be new to the VC service so Nintendo don't have to worry about people transferring their games over from an older system, losing potential new sales. So I can see them being sold in the traditional manner we've been used to up until now. Anyway, it's dreadful that they haven't talked about it and the 1st anniversary is barely over 2 weeks away. And the likelihood is they still won't talk about it for some time yet.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic