Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 24,621 to 24,640 of 69,981

Haruki_NLI

@Dev SEGA has been granted the 2020 license.

Sega Making Video Games for 2020 Summer Olympics - GameSpot
https://www.gamespot.com › articles › se...

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grumblevolcano

SEGA probably skipped 2018 because of Nintendo's situation not being strong and now with Nintendo back in the picture with Switch they'll release Mario & Sonic 2020 (they would've had to decide on the 2016 Wii U game back in early 2014 before games like MK8 and Smash 4 failed to improve the Wii U's hardware sales situation).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano They skipped 2018 because they didn't have the license. Ubisoft has the license for the 2018 Winter Olympics.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

Brian Altano from IGN says he's friends with Shuhei Yushida (president of Sony Interactive) on Switch, and the guy has hundreds of hours sunk into Splatoon 2 lol

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@JaxonH Wouldn't surprise me at all! Without being fanboy-ish, he's one of the best people in the industry. Apparently you can walk up to up at E3 (or any convention for that matter) and ask him about the best games/demos he has played that year, and he has no issue mentioning the competition. I know he liked Breath of the Wild a lot. He even owned multiple Wii Us!

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Because the executives, for whatever damn reason, despite the fact their jobs and money for their families depend on competition, are very amicable to each other.

Yet the fans, who do nothing but SPEND money, go at each others throats.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@YummyHappyPills I'm still waiting for Reggie, Phil or Sid to acknowledge the competition at all lol

Shuhei is like how Iwata was, genuine.

Sigh... It's late. I need to go to bed...

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers What I'm saying is the 2018 license would've been decided in 2016 so SEGA probably skipped trying to get the license as a result of the Nintendo situation which then allowed Ubisoft to get the license.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

@Grumblevolcano
Nintendo & SEGA better skipped the 2018 Olympic. Give a break for a while.
Wait until Olympic in Japan 2020 for Better momentum.

Anti-Matter

Pazzo-TheFool

@JaxonH Lol, source?

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

JaxonH

@Caldorosso-E
I mentioned Brian Altano from IGN. Watch the Nintendo Voice Chat episode. Couldn't tell you where in the hour long video he says it though

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

PLATINUM7

@Octane
If you're talking about Phil Spencer he often acknowleges the competition. He acknowledges them too much if you ask people commenting on PushSquare.

PLATINUM7

3DS Friend Code: 1246-8735-0293 | Nintendo Network ID: PLATINUM7

bluemage1989

Having a craving for a Mario and Sonic game but not as much as a Mario Party for Switch.

bluemage1989

StuTwo

@Octane it’s easier to compliment the ‘competition’ from a position of unchallenged supremacy. They’re no threat so you can ruffle their hair say ‘haven’t they grown and aren’t they doing well in school’.

If your job is potentially on the line then it’s much harder to talk up the competition.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

rallydefault

@StuTwo
True, but Nintendo has been historically tight-lipped about "liking" certain parts of the competition whereas, at least in the last 10ish year, Phil Spencer and that Sony dude have been on the record a few times applauding Nintendo's hardware and games. Yes, that would mean it plays into your scenario because Nintendo was doing pretty badly for awhile there, but eh - it's still something. Even when Nintendo was on "top" with the Wii, you didn't see them saying how awesome Last of Us or Gears or War were.

That would be pretty funny, though... I mean... I don't know. I can't really picture Iwata playing Gears of War. His whole thing with games is to just jump in and have fun, and although Gears can be "fun" at certain points, it's more like an experience that you need to commit time to.

rallydefault

Octane

@StuTwo True, but there's people like Sid Shuman or Reggie, who are essentially big PR puppets, and there are people like Yoshida who have no problem admitting owning and loving games that the company they work for didn't make. That's why I don't like the pre-shows for Sony's events, 30 minutes to an hour listening to Sid Shuman. Nope

Octane

JaxonH

Nintendo is the only one who never really congratulates, but I think their conservative, tight lipped approach has a lot to do with that. I did see that dude in the treehouse (kind of mid skinned, he looked like half black and half white or something like that) talk about owning every console and he seems like such a cool dude.

I feel like Reggie is beholden to the Japanese higher ups. He can't ever really say anything without permission first. Kinda feel bad for the guy. He takes a lot of flak and can't ever respond properly. Like Metroid. He knew Metroid was in the works, and he had all these people pestering him about it, but couldn't talk. Finally he told somebody "ask me again this time next year". And that's when I knew they had a game in development. People don't give him enough credit but he's really good with speaking between the lines. But obviously that means you have to read between the lines. Which is why I know we are getting cloud saves. He made a similar comment "wouldn't that be SO nice!". You're not going to say that about a feature you're not offering. Wouldn't that be SO nice? Ya, but we're never gonna do it, sorry.

Edited on by JaxonH

GrailUK

Thing is. Nintendo don't see themselves in competition with chip sets in boxes. What are they going to congratulate? 'Well done for making the same thing again only more powerful and expensive!' The other 2 companies at least can be thinking 'Oh, thank you for showing us there IS a future in mobile technologies' etc etc and they can start having conversations about it.

Edit* That sounded a tad fan boyist lol, but in all seriousness...we all pretty much have the same vision of what PS5 and XBox2 will be.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic