Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,681 to 22,700 of 32,446

Knuckles-Fajita

@Ralizah I have to admit the game does feel definitive here. There havw been drawbacks but its very well optimised and looks and plays as you expect. The drawbacks are very minor.

and the ARMS - NL Inklings: Spring Into The Ring Tournament (July 21st)!

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Ralizah

@YummyHappyPills That's what I was hoping to hear! Looks like I'll be picking up Yooka-Laylee after Christmas.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Knuckles-Fajita

@Ralizah @Buizel I've written up my thoughts on Yooka-Laylee both undocked and docked from a few hours of play. Since I can't link to my site here, I'll C/P what I wrote!

First off, I have mostly played in handheld/tabletop mode, so take that for what it’s worth.

Yooka-Laylee is presented as stated by the developers, just below full resolution on both modes. So the image is slightly softer. What is interesting about this and what I noted first, is the game simply feels better being played handheld, as though it fits the screen more than it did when I played on PS4 on my 40″ TV earlier this year.

That seems like an odd compliment but it really does feel at home here. The worlds are very pick up and play via Sleep Mode and with regards to controls, everything is just within reach.

The game is the same as it has been since launch, only some improvements not available on other systems at launch are standard here. manual camera, audio toggles, fast speech and brief voice snippets, are all welcome additions. This is very much the best version out of the box.

Performance wise, the game is interesting, at 30 FPS, it does occasionally pause, albeit very briefly, seemingly to load something, at least in handheld mode, as well as very brief, very slight, and rare frame rate drops, if only for a second.

When docked, the game runs the same, though the little frame drops don’t seem present, or at least I haven’t encountered them yet within the first world. The image is again, below full resolution of the system, but looks fine, if a little soft.

So in terms of drawbacks, the main thing is shadows and particles. Shadows are softer and particles seem paired back just slightly, but outside of those honestly minor things, the game seems as is. Maybe water effects are reduced, but those have been so brief in the world so far. It’s entirely possible other effects from elsewhere in the game are reduced further.

But yes, Yooka-Laylee on Switch certainly is technically below the other verions, but it doesn’t feel like a significant drawback to draw ire. The wait has been worth it, assuming you like this style and structure of game, as obviously that remains unchanged. Yooka-Laylee certainly feels best here.

Edited on by Knuckles-Fajita

Spoony_Tech

@OorWullie Castlestorm is a great table but the western one that comes with it is only ok. Definitely one of Zens hardest tables. Oddly I haven't played half of the ones on offer day one so I'm really excited to see the new tables. I do own the Alien tables but never played them too much. I will definitely give them more of a shot on the Switch.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

blaisedinsd

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@blaisedinsd Yeah, I agree that data management is a mess on Switch. I hope with the next big update you'll be able to transfer between system memory and microSD cards like you can with external hard drives on home only consoles.

My problem actually seems to be solved putting the memory card back in.

The Zelda update is now on system memory after re-downloading it with out the SD card inserted.
The Mario update, and I assume my other updates are on the SD card and work once I put it back in the system. So everything is working again and most of the games seem to have small updates that aren't too big for my 4GB SD card. Zelda update is over 2 GB though

I just wish my physical games defaulted their updates and stuff to SD.

SW-7087-5868-6390

Knuckles-Fajita

As I said, didn't think it's real due to the business end of the situation. I didn't even consider the idea he was in it for the show, I just looked at the hard facts and said "No."

OorWullie

Just been playing the demo for Embers of Mirrim. It's a good game and quite a looker, at least in some parts. I've known for the last couple of weeks it was one to look out for, it was well received on PS4/One with 77% on Metacritic . It's a linear platformer with its own unique twist. The demo is quite long, more than enough to decide whether it's a game for you. I mostly played it docked where it runs perfectly and I never noticed any issues the few minutes I played in handheld. Definitely worth checking out.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

SKTTR

Checked out the new Switch demos.

In the Lost Sphear demo, is it actually the beginning of a New Game? Because it feels like you're being thrown into - at least chapter 2 of the world/story with four level 18 characters that seem to know each other very well without context, and this didn't represent the game as well as the Project Octopath and Disgaea 5 demos did.

Embers of Mirrim demo started out strong, with a beautiful presentation, and a nice gameplay gimmick, and neat backgrounds and setpieces, but by the end of the demo the gameplay already got stale and elements seemed to be repeating a bit too much. Also, I was expecting some kind of RPG instead of a puzzle platformer, don't know why.

I really like the Slime-san demo. Presentation, gameplay, graphics, music, level design, and a good meaty demo show off that the game is very well-designed, not shallow at all, and fun to play.

The Nine Parchments demo on the other hand could not grab me. Apart from the great graphics and music, the story is dumb and the fighting repetitive. Exploration seems to be almost non-existant (maybe levels get more complex later on?) and it's probably a game only to be multiplayed.

Robonauts demo was too short (just 2 levels) so it didn't do much for me.

Spelunker Party! Demo - Very fun, have beaten the demo at least 3 times. If this was on cartridge I would have bought it long ago.

backloggery.com/SKTTR

OorWullie

Pinball FX 3 now live on the Eshop with 3 free tables. The usual Sorcerers Lair and for a limited time, the Carnivals & Legends pack containing Adventure Land and Son of Zeus.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

Snadertjuh

Ten million units sold worldwide, according to Nintendo of America. That is a huge number in nine months!

From Holland, SW-8284-9406-5119

Spoony_Tech

Congrats goes to Nintendo! Zelda didn't hurt as a launch title and advertising has been top notch.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

FX102A

@Snadertjuh Beating the Wii U's total sales in a single year is looking more and more likely.

I must admit I predicted the Switch would likely sell pretty well but not this well. I was thinking 8-10 million in the first year by March 2018.

FX102A

FragRed

That's pretty impressive. Though the real question is can Nintendo keep this going throughout 2018? That's the real challenge.

ENGAGE VG NEWS & REVIEWS SITE LAUNCHING SOON: www.engagevg.com

OorWullie

That's great news.10 million was Nintendo's official forecast for the entire fiscal year and they've achieved that in less than 9 months with Xmas sales still to be accounted for. Once those have been added then it should be very close to Wii U's lifetime sales. By the end of the fiscal year, it could be as high as 18million sold, which is the number Nintendo were supposed to be telling their manufacturers to prepare for.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/08/report_suggests_nint...

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

BigBadJohn

Just seen the Switch being advertised on UK tv. What game do they choose to show this amazing little console off? 1-2 Switch! Bizarre.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Spoony_Tech

@OorWullie Do we know yet if the 10 million sales was just hit or was it 10 million like end of October? I assume it was just hit and doubt they will add another 3 million just in the next 3 weeks. Either way it's quite impressive and not many thought it would go this well by years end.

Can't remember how many people I argued with in March and April saying it could hit those numbers by years end especially with Mario releasing by years end. It seems even Xenoblade is selling quite well as it's been #1 on the eshop for about a week. Also, both Resident Evils keep slowly climbing the charts. I believe RE:R2 is now #6 or #5.

MERG said:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic