Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,681 to 22,700 of 69,995

Harmonie

Likely: New Animal Crossing (that may not actually be likely for the upcoming Direct, and I could be wrong)
Unlikely: Super Smash Bros. 5 is revealed
Green Pipe Dream: Golden Sun 4

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

KirbyTheVampire

Likely: New Animal Crossing.
Unlikely: A new Paper Mario in the vein of The Thousand Year Door.
Green Pipe Dream: An HD remake of Mario Sunshine.

KirbyTheVampire

iKhan

I'm gonna be lame and not follow the 3-tier format. I want to see how my oracle skills are.

Bolded titles are spotlights

Bayo 1 and 2 briefly mentioned.
Kirby Star Allies gets a release date- March/April Release
Yoshi is coming in the late spring
Fire Emblem Switch is coming mid Summer
Pikmin 4 coming late summer
Smash 4 Switch Port coming early fall.
Project Octopath Traveler drops early summer
Dragonball FighterZ announced
Steep Release month announced
Wolfenstein release month announced.
Mario Odyssey DLC announced.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

NaviAndMii

Likely: A new colour of Joy-Con! (..Atomic Purple please! )
Unlikely: A deluxe port of New Super Mario Bros WiiU (or similar)
Green Pipe Dream: F-Zero NX

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Harmonie

@KirbyTheVampire At this point, I feel like a new Paper Mario in the vein of the original two is a pipe dream.

However, I also didn't think there was much of a chance of the Super Mario 3D series returning to exploration, given the massive success of the Galaxy games. But then Odyssey came out of the blue, when I had pretty much given up hope.

I doubt that the recent Paper Mario games have been all of that successful. But I'm not sure that the original two we love were really great successes either. I do not know either way.

Nintendo has broken out some unexpected amazing games out of franchises that had really become stagnant like Odyssey and BoTW. I can't help but have to hope deep down that they will do the same for Paper Mario.

Harmonie

Grumblevolcano

@Harmonie Well it depends on how you interpret the sales figures. From a basic total sales approach, Sticker Star sold the most but if you take into account hardware sales and use a proportion approach then TTYD did the best given that the GameCube itself didn't sell that well so the sales it got was rather impressive.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Harmonie

I'm also under the impression that Sticker Star could sell better just because people blindly bought the title expecting it to be up to the standards of previous Paper Mario RPGs.

Admittedly I fall into that category.

Harmonie

Haruki_NLI

To be fair they did announce the Switch reveal a whopping 12 hours in advance

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

I just beat Xenoblade Chronicles 2...

That has got to be one of the best video games I've ever played. That ending... tragic yet bittersweet yet happy... I'm feeling so many emotions just sloshing around right now, not sure I can even make sense of it.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH OH GEEZ I have a horrible cold right now but I laughed until I cried and my chest started to hurt. (your Kimishima gif.)

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Gilgamesh

Here is my switch physical game collection so far (digital not included)
Hope 2018 be even better
Untitled

Gilgamesh

Ralizah

@Gilgamesh Did you actually buy two different physical version of Xenoblade 2, or did you score the other box separately?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
😂

@Ralizah
The EU Collector Editions came with a separate steel case in addition to the normal case and game, whereas ours came with the game inside the steel case.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Melack

Likely: Mario Odyssey DLC
Unlikely: Super Smash Bros. 5
Green pipe dream: New Top-down 2D Zelda

Edited on by Melack

Melack

toiletduck

Likely: Kirby and Yoshi both arrive before summer
Unlikely: 2D Mario with local co-op announced, either remake/remaster (maybe as part of Wii (U) DX series) or new
Green Pipe Dream: VC-ish series with a lot of content arriving shortly

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Buizel

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

Switch is selling faster than Wii in Italy

Well I should hope so, the Wii has been out for 11 years...

Seems the hardware is doing well all over. I'd like to see how software sales compare to previous consoles. Surely good hardware and software combined should convince the 3rd parties to jump on board?

At least 2'8".

NaviAndMii

toiletduck wrote:

Unlikely: 2D Mario with local co-op announced, either remake/remaster (maybe as part of Wii (U) DX series) or new

Same as mine Probably 'unlikely' since Nintendo are already bringing out a couple of platformers this year (so I'd imagine that any 'DX' games to come in 2018 will likely cover other genres instead) ..but a co-op 2D Mario game would be just perfect to play 'Anywhere, Anytime, with Anyone' - so you never know!

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

KirbyTheVampire

@Harmonie That's probably true. Still, with the Switch having a totally new version of Zelda and a more 64-esque Mario, and generally flipping their approach to the gaming industry on its head, I feel like there's a better chance than ever that Paper Mario goes back to its glory days. Who knows, though. Maybe Nintendo just doesn't care about making really great worlds and characters and writing witty dialogue and such anymore. Those certainly aren't aspects that they've been shining in lately.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

NEStalgia

@KirbyTheVampire @Harmonie the issue with Paper Mario is they now have two Mario RPG franchises. The original plan was M&L for handheld, PM for console. But in the 3DS era they started mashing them on handheld, and then we got Sticker Star 2 on WiiU basically. Ultimately they (for good reason) don't want two different unrelated Mario RPGs, so one has to become something different, and they decided M&L would be the RPG branch, so PM had to become something unique. Especially with Switch where there's only one platform, that's more important. So PM of old is definitely gone, but I'm not sure the SS/CS format works well. CS was actually an excellent game overall, with a great world....maybe too many toads not enough unique characters, but the world was great and the toads were surprisingly unique. The problem is the "disposable item battle system." It's too much work and effort for absolutely zero reward: You're better off avoiding combat than engaging more times than not, and a game that encourages you to fear battles and avoid using the battle system isn't a good design. If they don't want a stat progression so it's and adventure rather than an RPG, they need to either make battle easier to get in and out of as simple action diversions like a regular Mario game, or at least make it less cumbersome that you win by some means other than expendable battle units that make you put more thought and effort into battle than the battle is worth. The team at IS seems to think playing with Hanafuda for its own sake is the reward, which isn't even true in Japan anymore. Then again the team at IS thinks petting minigames are a good idea too, so....maybe IS is the issue.

Edit: I also think some of that design comes from Super Paper Mario which was in line with Wii philosophy that games should return to simplicity and pick up and play nature rather than complicated epics, which Nintendo thankfully now recognizes is the domain of mobile and console buyers want grander adventures, and so far in the Switch era they're delivering on that new wisdom.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic