Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,281 to 22,300 of 69,981

skywake

@YummyHappyPills
None of what you said there is backed by any sort of evidence. Really the only thing you've said is that VC titles sell well. You haven't even remotely come close to arguing that this is at the expense of indie titles. And even if that was the case, and I don't think it is, you haven't made much of a case for how a subscription for the VC would "solve" the "problem". I personally think I would be less likely to buy indie games if I had the entire Nintendo back catalogue on-tap as part of their online subscription.

And in any case, as I said in my previous post the Wii U and 3DS if anything did pretty well with indies. Even though the VC was most definitely a thing on both platforms. Case and point Shovel Knight's sales by platform:
Untitled

No doubt there would be some impact on the eShop but:
1. I'm not convinced it would be a negative impact on other content
2. I'm pretty damn certain that indies on the Wii, Wii U and 3DS did just fine
3. I'm very confident that a VC subscription would, if anything, make it harder for indies to compete

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Therad

Nintendo will probably launch a new game alongside their online subscription service. My guess is smash 5.

New characters could be inklings, spring man, ribbon girl, rabbids, Cappy and captain Toad.

Therad

gcunit

Confirmed: Cappy will not be in Smash 5. Not as an independent playable character anyway. Neither will Captain Toad.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Therad

@gcunit probably, but one can dream...

Btw it might not be possible to make a smash 4 deluxe. 4 contained many characters that Nintendo doesn't own. It is quite possible the characters can only appear on the Wii u, depending on how the contracts are written.

Therad

Octane

@Therad If anything, they'll update Mario's moveset to include Cappy. At least I hope they do.

Octane

kkslider5552000

I don't assume to be an expert of how VC has affected sales of 3rd party games, but it is pretty difficult to ignore the very simple reality that if someone buys a Virtual Console game...that means that money can't be spend on an indie game (let alone a AAA 3rd party game). Because they spent it. Unfortunately, we don't exactly know what Shovel Knight would have sold if Wii U either didn't have Virtual Console or...was actually successful enough to have more 3rd party support, which would help prove things more definitively...

It's not like a zero sum game, and there's reason to believe VC helps encourage people to check out Nintendo's eShop. But it's really hard to not notice the strange change in spending habits for people with 3rd party games on Switch and not see a lack of Nintendo's own older games as having some relevance.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

skywake

@kkslider5552000
Even so I think it is fair to say that Nintendo hasn't had a problem getting indies to sell even on platforms that did have a solid VC. I was ysing Shovel Knight as an example mostly because of the fact that Nintendo sales were almost 50% of its total sales. And those stats were from before the Switch came to the party.

And in any case with the VC as it has always existed these classic games sit "on the shelf" alongside indies. My earlier question was if you give every subscriber Super Metroid does that mean more people are buying Axiom Verge? The argument is if I don't have the option to buy Super Metroid that's money I can instead put towards Axiom Verge. But, if I have Super Metroid as part of my subscription do I still want Axiom Verge? I think it's more likely such a system would make me buy less content....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

StuTwo

@OorWullie for non safe predictions:

Clayfighters returns comes with a literal block of clay. You physically make your own fighter and the IR camera is used to scan it into the game (which plays just as well as the N64 game...).

Murasame Castle returns Nintendo reuses the Zelda engine and play mechancs. Basically just a series of Hyrule castle style levels.

Star Fox Battle Royal Nintendo’s answer to PUBG.

Pushmo Act Zero The dark gritty Pushmo reboot that you always wanted.

My first Zelda what better way to follow up BoTW than a game specifically designed to appeal to 4 year olds? This is part of a new series of games aimed at younger players - future titles to include Mario, Eternal Darkness and F-Zero (this will be the F-Zero series going forwards).

Jungle Emperor Leo the ambitious cancelled Miyomoto game for the N64. It looked great and seemed to have some great ideas. Nintendo rarely chucks anything away so we might see something from that game again one day.

Metroid Amiibo Force the new name for Metroid Prime 4. It’s the love that dare not speak its name...

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Octane

@StuTwo You don't even know how much I'd want a Murasame reboot. There are way too few games set in feudal Japan. At least we're getting Ghost of Tsushima relatively soon-ish.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

I'd like whichever happens out of a Smash 4 enhanced port and Smash 5 to have some Xenoblade 2 representation though on the other hand I'm not sure how you'd get an interesting fighter moveset or stage without going too spoiler heavy.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TuVictus

A moveset similar to Rosalina and Luma (Blade and Driver) might be interesting

TuVictus

meleebrawler

@Grumblevolcano Well, they had Mecha-Fiora as a trophy so it seems spoilers are inevitable if you want to represent a JRPG decently. Not to mention Sheik-as-Zelda being a walking Ocarina of Time spoiler in Melee.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

EvilLucario

Rex and Pyra by themselves can work as a dynamic like a fusion of Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer from Brawl.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Buizel

Surely you'd control just Rex as you do in Xenoblade? I don't see why they should complicate things by having Pyra move independently.

They could make him interesting by having him switch between a set of different blades, much like how Shulk could switch between Monado powers.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

WebHead

Should be getting a switch next month if all goes well. I’d like to see 2D Mario get the odyssey treatment ie a shakeup.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

GrailUK

@WebHead You are going to love it!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

WebHead

@GrailUK I think shakeups of existing Nintendo IP will be a recurring theme of switch, to varying degrees of course.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

GrailUK

@WebHead Oh I hope so. Nintendo really freshened up their image last year

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

OorWullie

I think a vastly different 2D Mario might be the big 2018 Xmas game. After the release of Mario Maker they have no choice but to shakeup the formula and it's too big of a seller for them to abandon it for few years.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic