Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,261 to 22,280 of 32,446

Spoony_Tech

If we got the whole game on a cart we would also be paying $60 for it as the second game would command a 32gb cart so either way we pay and it so happens an sd card is cheaper.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@JaxonH It will be a "dated view" when universal public wireless internet is everywhere. It's not a "dated view" when that is not the case, and people are still using metered connections, slow connections, etc. "Nintendo" gamers don't need to "get past" not spending money on products that don't meet their expectations. We determine the platform we want to pay for, not the other way around. At the end of the day business makes money from us in exchange for meeting the standards we're willing to pay for. The idea of treating retail products like like it's ok for them to dictate the terms, and we "get over it" and learn to buy it anyway is precisely how they intend it to work, and precisely defeats the power of the consumer.

You know I agree with you quite often and on many many things, but on this one, you keep beating the drum that, essentially, "times change and we just have to accept what we're offered, why does everyone bother resisting and make it all so much more difficult to be shafted?" and that's just wrong. It's one thing to praise the game, but its failings shouldn't be overlooked in the name of corporate pacifism either.

PC was my platform of choice for years. I left it because it went digital. I brought my considerable purchasing habits in the medium to platforms that did offer what I wanted. What you advocate is an "acceptance" of that choice being removed for the sake of corporate profits. Well, of course if you "learn to accept" what they want you do, they're always going to win and you have no power! If you like physical, resist that push and defend your preference. If you don't, they will indeed remove your preference. Why wouldn't they, if you don't actually say no?

If they released digital only that's their choice, and it's one thing and some people won't accept it as a "real" game as a result, including myself. The split physical thing though where the bulk of the game isn't actually on the cart is a deep deception. RE wasn't going to get my money anyway because it's not a genre/series I like. But the practice does need to be called out for what it is. The next game that wants a 23GB download may be one I'd otherwise like, but won't be getting my money.

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@JaxonH
"And sometimes, games don't get a physical release. So what?"

Some peoples like to Possess the things.
If they don't own the things, they don't feel owning the games in presence.
As a Collectible items, Physical retails are very valuable for Hobbyist. They are like Gems of Video games.

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (10 / 10)
2. The Sims series (9 / 10)
3. Portal Knights Switch (9 / 10)
4. Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS (9 / 10)
5. ARMS (8 / 10)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

JaxonH

@Anti-Matter
I understand the appeal of a physical game, as someone who collects myself.

But before I was a collector, I was a gamer. And being a gamer trumps being a collector. If I can buy physical I will. But NEVER, as a gamer, will I pass up a great game over something so trivial as a side hobby preference.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Y'S VIII, Octopath Traveller, Shining Resonance Refrain, Captain Toad, Hollow Knight, Wolfenstein 2
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Dragon Age Origins, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
Nintendo" gamers don't need to "get past" not spending money on products that don't meet their expectations

Ya they do. When their expectations are "It has to come in this color case and it can't have any download whatsoever". Ridiculous expectations need to be buried. Preference is fine. Outright ostracizing games for being sold on the eshop is radically close minded and ultra conservative mindset.

They do dictate the terms. Its their game. And if people want to completely banish every game ever sold digitally then I say God speed. Cause the developers don't care, the publishers don't care, and the rest of the gaming community doesn't care. If people want to cheat themselves, hey, knock yourself out.

It's one thing to have a preference. Its another to say "I refuse to buy any game digitally in the year 2018".

And RE Revelations was not even split. Its 2 separate games. The first has it's own cart and the second is digital. 2 separate icons and labels.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Y'S VIII, Octopath Traveller, Shining Resonance Refrain, Captain Toad, Hollow Knight, Wolfenstein 2
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Knuckles-Fajita

@JaxonH My problem is that while yes, it is a half assed physical release, we here in Europe AGAIN get...nothing.

Just like historically we didn't even get games AT ALL from Capcom that the rest of the world got, we now have these two games. Digital only.

You know why I am personally p***** off with Capcom for this? I can go on Amazon right now, and buy both games SEPERATELY in physical form for the other systems.

But no, it costs too much to even put a smaller game on a cart and a bit of paper for a code. Sure it does.

and the ARMS - NL Inklings: Spring Into The Ring Tournament (July 21st)!

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

JaxonH

@YummyHappyPills
The same thing happened for Resident Evil Revelations 2 on Vita, but in reverse. Europe got a physical release while NA got digital only. And so what I did, was I imported the EU version.

Likewise, people asked for region free for good reason... you can import.

For the record though, sales expectations for this game are extremely low. Their analysts likely concluded the investment for physical would cost more than the few added sales. Can't blame em for that. Even in the US there is very little stock. Amazon sold out, and many people claim their local Wal-Mart and Gamestop got 1 or 2 copies in, if any at all. Games that have such low sales projections often find themselves digital only in certain regions. At least you can import.

I imported One Piece: Unlimited World Red from EU also, another game NA only got digitally.

NOW PLAYING
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

I'll still buy games physical when possible due to pre-order discounts but, as time has gone on, the allure of owning a physical game has all but vanished for me. I get preferring physical copies with their pretty boxes and physical carts/discs, but being a physical only gamer is becoming increasingly anachronistic. Almost every game needs to be extensively updated and patched these days and the medium is already outgrowing the restrictions placed on it by physical media. Thus why you need to install PS4/Xbone games to the system. Thus why bigger Switch games are requiring partial downloads or just go digital only.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

NEStalgia

@JaxonH No, companies don't dictate terms, consumers do by choosing what to buy and what not to. Well, except you, you're happy taking whatever you're offered, apparently Being a "gamer" doesn't mean being a pushover and surrendering criticism for margin squeezing because you want to like the game.

Nobody wants to banish games that are sold digitally. Selling cartridges as unlock keys is dishonest at best, manipulative at worst. Cheap either way, and it was a concept ROUNDLY rejected at the X1 launch, before companies just repackaged the very thing consumers said they didn't want in slightly less offensive ways, hoping most would be like you and convince themselves to accept it. The publishers certainly don't care if most people adopt your viewpoint. The publishers would care considerably if most people didn't. Again, Microsoft and Sony BOTH radically redesigned their intentions at the start of this generation explicitly because people did NOT do as you're doing. Consumers have enormous power over this. But most, like yourself have been trained like a good puppy not to question whatever they declare to be inevitable.

Saying "I refuse to buy this game" is the only way to main the choice of preference, however. To accept whatever they offer is to say you accept that offering, and you accept being stripped of choice. That's how consumers leverage power over what the offering is, is not to buy the unsatisfactory offering. That's how a competition-driven free market functions at all. We're fortunately not living in a communist "utopia" (yet) and still have that market control. Apparently except the gaming industry where companies are godheads of the universe that must be obeyed

Where I particularly disagree with you is that you advocate this as though it's all inevitable to the point of refusing to acknowledge it as a negative. It's the outright refusal to acknowledge the negatives, to but blinders (blinkers for our British friends) on so that the negative of it doesn't taint your praise of a game. If you personally are willing to submit, that's your choice as well, but those that refuse to submit shouldn't be told to "deal with it" so to speak. "Stop resisting and mind your place" isn't exactly the most likely way to win a battle assuming one wishes to win at all.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
You must have missed the memo.

Gamers already dictated the terms, and digital games are not only acceptable, but normal.

We're not talking about partial game downloads, which is whole other conversation. We're talking digital games. Games without a physical release.

And since gamers dictated those terms, publishers now dictate whether a game is digital or physical. Not consumers. You buy it or don't, but you're not dictating anything.

If buying and enjoying games, even in digital format in 2018, if that makes me a "pushover". Then I'm a pushover. Rather that than a deluded wannabe gamer that thinks not buying digital games is somehow going to make digital games stop. Rather that than someone who cares more about how a game is stored than the game itself. Digital isn't going to stop, and you not buying a digital game won't make a split of difference. So if there is no chance whatsover of activist change, then why bother? It basically boils down to: this is how it is. Either enjoy the game or don't. And anyone who refuses to enjoy a game simply because of where the digital bits are stored... they obviously don't like video games that much.

That is not a gamer. That's someone who cares more about staring at their games than playing them, and who thinks they're dated views are more important than they actually are. Preference is one thing. But when you start caring more about media format than video games themselves, you've lost sight of what really matters. And I pity the poor fool who forfeits some of the best gaming experiences ever made... All because of being stored on an SD card instead of a cartridge.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

gcunit

I'll just wait for the sale...

Use the 'ignore' button, it works.

Currently playing: Runner 3; Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood; Kirby Triple Deluxe; ICO; FIFA 18; Owlboy

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

Grumblevolcano

The point of physical games is much more than just being able to have something you can see outside the console. While garbage internet speeds still exist (will probably always exist), a digital only future is just not realistic because of how long it takes to download the games. I'm sure plenty of areas especially in NA would take a few days to download a game like BotW.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SKTTR

I'm glad there are enough physical quality games on Switch
so I can comfortably skip digital-only games this generation.

All the money put towards digital has proven to be just a borrow-for-a-decade-deal
and everyone has to decide for themselves if that is good enough.

After twelve years of downloading games, I realised it's more comfortable to go physical as much as possible, because at the end of the systems lifespan you have to keep your digital games alive yourself with extracosts, workarounds, and dedicated time. Physical doesn't get you into that annoying trouble.

I wish all the great digital-only games get a chance on retail, and that's only going to happen if I support retail more and digital less.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

gcunit

When they start selling cars that are linked, and limited, to one owner only, who's going to be embracing that progress?

Use the 'ignore' button, it works.

Currently playing: Runner 3; Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood; Kirby Triple Deluxe; ICO; FIFA 18; Owlboy

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

Ralizah

@SKTTR A lot of them are getting LRG releases. Hopefully we'll see other services like that pop up.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

NEStalgia

@JaxonH We're talking about the mixed digital physical releases and we're talking about digital games. To a large extent there's a size threshold where it becomes inappropriate as the only option. You may not mind your "retail" games as digital only (isn't that an oxymoron, a retail product not retailed?) but very many others desire choice. Again, there's a reason why Sony made the "this is how you share games on PS4" video. They knew that a significant market would resonate with that message which was a 180 from what they were planning to say 4 hours earlier. And guess what: PS4 is on its way to best selling console ever. Clearly they weren't unwise to provide what that market wanted. My "backward" "ultra conservative" self watched that E3 to decide upon X1 or PS4. After that video, I pre-ordered two PS4s. And apparently so did millions of others.

This isn't "activism" this is market demand. Nobody says there's no market for digital. That's a defensive statement. But it's clear there IS a market for physical. You seem to view physical as collectors items, rather than the more useful, usable, practical means of loading games and managing libraries. For most of us that like physical it's about the most practical, usable library management. Physical = convenience for our use just as digital does for yours.

Nor is it ignoring "some of the best games" because it's stored on an SD card. It's about ignoring the games because they have no viable method to get it on the SD card or to do so without hassle.

Tell you what, next time I need to experience "one of the best games" that requires a 23GB download on my portable console, I'll just feel free to tether it wirelessly to my mobile hotspot......the extra 23GB in hotspot use should be...what.....at current per GB rates.....$92 per game? I'll be sure to send you that bill. Can't stop progress, can we?

@Grumblevolcano @SKTTR @gcunit Very well said, all of you!

NEStalgia

Knuckles-Fajita

@NEStalgia That "This is how you share games on PS4" is a load of bull anyway.

Sure, you can lend a friend your disc, but then you have almost the entire game minus on-disc DRM installed on your hard drive and it's inaccessible. But the game is right there. Just cant play it.

Personally I'm just sick of living in the EU where not only do we in the UK have some insane prices on things, but we also get the shaft with late releases, no physical versions (If we are even that lucky...) and maybe the game isn't missing content because lol censorship (South Park)

and the ARMS - NL Inklings: Spring Into The Ring Tournament (July 21st)!

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
Anyone who's dumb enough to use mobile hotspot to download a game deserves to pay the bill. Obviously you use your normal Wi-Fi. And if you don't have that then it sucks to be you, Idk what else to say. Come on man. I know it's hard to accept but, digital downloads is part of gaming. It just is. We can pretend it's still 1996 all day long, but one way or another you're gonna need downloads. If it's not digital it's partial digital. If it's not partial digital it's day one updates requires to run properly. If it's not updates it's DLC. You have to download.

Hassle is part of life. You deal with the hassle of downloading the game or you deal with the hassle of getting up and changing cartridges every time you play a game. Hassle is unavoidable.

At the end of the day, either you like video games enough to buy and enjoy them or you don't. And while I always have my preference, I care about games. I don't care if it's on a disc, cart, download, or comes on a rubber duck with USB cable. I'm in it for the games. That's what's mattered since the 80's and still matters now

NOW PLAYING
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

DarkRula

Just as a question to both sides - would a system where the game is downloaded on a dedicated online store from a PC or laptop to then be transferred to the console [whether through SD Card or direct-with-cable] be helpful in such a situation?

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

SKTTR

I just look at my friend who has only 20 retail games on Wii U, while I have 300 digital Wii U games, 60 of them also available on retail.

My 300 games are worthless and soon to be gone, while he has hundreds of euros lying around with just 20 games that he can keep forever.

Ironically he paid less for those 20 retail games than what I paid for the same 20 games digitally.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic