Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,261 to 22,280 of 69,995

GrailUK

Star Fox Zero deserves a second chance without the multi-tasking.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

FragRed

@GrailUK Does it? I feel Nintendo will want to forget that game ever happened and just ignore the franchise for, as long as possible.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Kimyonaakuma

@Grumblevolcano I doubt the backlash would stop them. The Sticker Star backlash didn't really change much for Colour Splash in terms of gameplay.

Other games like Tomodachi Life and FE Fates have had their share of backlash but they've gone on to sell really well. TMS #FE had the whole censorship issue but it wasn't going to shift loads of copies regardless.

Basically Nintendo doesn't care about those kinds of things, but I don't think that Colour Splash will come to the Switch anyway. The ports will be saved for successful Wii U games, games that have Switch sequels and the occasional "cult classic".
Nintendo has obviously changed up how it approaches things as shown by BotW and Odyssey. Repeatedly porting Wii U games kind of goes against this new way of thinking.

Kimyonaakuma

Aaron00

@FragRed Maybe... unless it’s a revelationery 3D Donkey Kong. That’d be nice

Aaron00

link3710

@OorWullie While that's true, I think everyone is getting a little burned out from the Wii U era. Making predictions like the ones being made over the last few years would have been considered ludicrous. Now? With the very safe assumption that they are going to almost entirely focus on Switch games over 3DS/ a potential 3DS successor, what once was a ludicrous wish list is now pretty freaking safe. I mean, I'm wishing for 12 AAA releases next year from/financed by Nintendo alone, only 3 of which are rereleases. That's obscene compared to even Wii U's best year, 2015. Counting notable retail titles, you had 10-11, 3 of which were toys to life, and two of which were an incomplete Mario Tennis and the much reviled Amiibo festival, and a Just Dance title, and a mostly underwhelming selection of indies (I have... three that came out that year. Don't get me wrong, the year had titles that came out were wonderful (XCX, Captain Toad, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Yoshi's Wooly World, Fatal Frame all in a year is amazing to think about), but... when we already know that as much is coming out as one of the best years of the Wii U, people are having trouble expecting anymore than that.

...Wow I just ranted on the subject. Anyways, you're definitely right, people should probably be trying to expect more, let me try to be a little more creative.

Anyways, some points to think about cause I'm gonna try and throw out more games outside of the usual suspects:
Nintendo:
A new Kid Icarus
New Custom Robo

Collabs:
SEGA's going to surprise all of us by revealing a new collab with Nintendo to replace Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games - My guess? The next Sega and All-Stars transformed will be a crossover, pulling elements from Diddy Kong Racing.
Bandai Namco is also collaborating with Nintendo. On what? I have no freaking clue.
Spike Chunsoft has put out a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Game every two-three years since 2005, and we're on year 3, so that's almost guaranteed.
Ubisoft's last collaboration with Nintendo went over wonderfully, so I'm expecting an announcement of a new one this year, due 2019
Collabing with Atlus to publish a new Trauma title.

Third Party:
GTA V and RDR and Bully - Just give us all of Rockstar's quality output in the last decade
Fallout 4/New Vegas and Dishonored - one released, one announced
Interplay will rise from the dead with a Baldur's Gate port
Layton's Mystery Journey - I'm guessing the next is due in 2019, but it's still on the table.
Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are both getting a release next year, dunno which, but I can't see Squeenix letting another year go.
New DBZ Game. Port or not, it's happening
Tales of ? coming out, we'll see which
Metal Gear Solid remake. Why? Cause... Konami keeps porting them to Nintendo systems, so I'm gonna say MGS4 will get a remake. Do it Konami
A New IP from Atlus
Spike ChunSoft is gonna bring out a new Visual Novel, as a spiritual successor to 999, eshop release.
New Castlevania. With the Netflix series, I'm betting a new one has been in development for some time. We'll see it come out late next year.

link3710

DarkRula

I think if it's different you want, that's one of the reasons I keep talking about bringing Wuhu Island back and making it a platform for testing out new ideas. Start it with sports, but keep adding to it, puzzles, mysteries, action set-pieces, etc. Then there's the other game ideas, the ones that sound a bit too wacky to work. A JRPG that has vehicle races instead of combat for the main of the gameplay. A parkour-styled game that is all about the flow of movement in a 3D world [properly crafted for such an idea, not the real world stuff of Mirror's Edge or Assassin's Creed].
Just those three alone would fill the library a bit, and be the sort of things the higher ups are hyping.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Luna_110

I want a new RPG Mario Golf and Tennis, in the vein of the GBA ones.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Pazzo-TheFool

I actually get @YummyHappyPills ' point, Smash 4 this year vs. Smash 5 next year would lean in the later.

And who cares if Pills doesn't want to buy Sm4sh again? The point stands.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 I disagree, 2014 was a much better Wii U year than 2015.

@Caldorosso-E If we get a Smash 5, I don't think we'd see one until holiday 2020 at the absolute earliest. Another reason why a Smash 4 port in 2018 instead makes more sense.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

gcunit

Nintendo definitely need to do a 3D adventure/platform game on top of Odyssey. I most wanted it to be a Kirby or Yoshi (or both) vehicle, but as they're both getting side-scrollers this year, let it be DK instead.

Ubisoft will surely step up their presence on Switch soon. I'm hoping for ports of Assassin's Creed (preferably Syndicate to begin with), Watch_Dogs 2, and a new Splinter Cell (even though I'm 2 games behind in that series as it is).

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

MarcelRguez

Speaking of the Direct, I think there's a solid chance of seeing whatever Sora/Sakurai has been working in. It's been more than three years since Smash 4 originally came out, I'd say there's a real chance of seeing a new Kid Icarus game, if not something entirely new.

@DarthNocturnal Camelot has been dying a slow death for a good while now. That they haven't updated their number of employees (42) since 2010 is proof enough that they're stagnant. They've put out 3 games in the last seven years which, while not a terrible ratio, still feels like very little considering their 6th gen output and the downscaled scope of their games.

I'd love to see a Golden Sun remake as well, and all the more so if they decide to soft-reboot the series.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

GrailUK

@FragRed Maybe. Depends if they can make it work I guess.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

skywake

YummyHappyPills wrote:

I dont expect Smash Bros. It feels too soon after the last one. 4 years isnt long in that scene especially when it got pulled with DLC.

1. Not many people played the Wii U version
2. The 3DS version was always more of a single player Smash, not the same
3. 4 years is too soon? Melee released 2 years after the original and 3DS/Wii U were a month apart
4. Smash Bros is one of Nintendo's best selling franchises, they'd be stupid not to have it ASAP

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Adding to my point that Smash 4 as a game only began to settle about 2 years ago, thus a port or sequel soon would be fatiguing, look at Splatoon 2.

Basically a year out from when Splatoon 1 was wrapped up and began to settle. Splatoon 2 comes out and people say its not as magical or as cool an experience or that they had less drive for it.

That's definitely a thing, I personally skipped Splatoon 2 because I played the original to death. Even so it's a non point given the game is still on pace to eventually outsell the original. It also has a super similar attach rate so whatever my feelings the only empirical evidence we have suggests there's as much enthusiasm for Splatoon 2 on Switch as there was for Splatoon on the Wii U.

Caldorosso-E wrote:

I actually get @YummyHappyPills ' point, Smash 4 this year vs. Smash 5 next year would lean in the later.

That's clearly not the point given the above comment about Splatoon 2. And in any case what would be the difference between Smash 4 Deluxe and Smash 5? It's not like it's a game that is story driven. You get a bunch of Nintendo characters and you bash each other up on a themed stage. A fair chunk of which carry over from release to release anyway.

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Animal Crossing? Eh. Whatever. We also have Stardew Valley. Depends if Nintendo wants to massacre an indie they worked hard to get..

It has been 6 years since the last release, 10 years since the last home console release and it has never had a HD release. Additionally Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's biggest selling franchises, only Mario Kart and Pokemon consistently outperform it. Lastly I don't really understand what your point about Stardew Valley is. Saying the Switch shouldn't have Animal Crossing because it has Stardew Valley is like saying it shouldn't have had Mario Kart 8 because of Rocket League and Fast Racing RMX.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

@YummyHappyPills
I'm not sure what reaction you were expecting. If you were to rank Nintendo franchises in terms of sales performance it'd probably look something like this:

#1. Pokemon
#2. Mario Kart
#3. Animal Crossing
#4. Mario
#5. Splatoon
#6. Smash Bros
#7. Zelda
#8. Donkey Kong
...... everything else

So when you say that Nintendo shouldn't release the Animal Crossing they've clearly been working on for a while? You've gotta expect some disagreement. Especially when you're trying to argue the point from a business/strategy point of view. Same deal with Smash Bros. And as you said these games do have a long tail, which is why it's far better for them to be available as early as possible.

Eagle9

Actually Game & Watch 6. most (43.4 million).

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

Pazzo-TheFool

I'm more mechanically minded, and a Smash 4 port has next to no chance of getting reworkings of classic characters. But different strokes for different blokes, I wouldn't complain.

I'd really like a Kid Icarus sequel but we all know how Sakurai is with his sequels. He makes awesome games anyway so whatever comes out I'll take with a side of resolve.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

JaxonH

People always guess safe. Because safe is predictable, and when you're guessing, you are in fact predicting.

People could get creative, but the odds of being correct would be slim to none. It's too hard to guess what Nintendo's going to do when they surprise us. People guess all kinds of wild and crazy things and of course, 90% of them end up not happening, and then there's disappointment if it's not as awesome as the wild and crazy speculation.

So naturally, people place safe bets with their predictions and leave Nintendo to fill in the blanks with the unexpected. Because we are never going to guess what their surprises are anyways.

Honestly, I think a couple games are gonna be like 1-2 Switch. And most of us here probably aren't going to care about those. For the most part though, I think they're going to get their big franchises out of the way early and come with more surprises and less known the franchises later. We might see an F-Zero this generation, but I doubt it'll be 2018. I do think we'll see Retro's game announced- if not in January then surely at e3.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

YummyHappyPills wrote:

@skywake My stance on VC doesnt change though. You dont need to look far to see those purchases damage indie games on the eShop.

I disagree with this also. You don't have to look far to see stories of indie games that did relatively well on Wii U and 3DS. I don't think the VC did much at all to take attention away from Indies. If anything it's just another reason to check the eShop regularly.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic