Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,161 to 22,180 of 69,992

Grumblevolcano

@skywake That said, we do know that some 3rd party releases ends up counting towards this number like how for November the major releases were Skyrim and DOOM. Hence it makes sense that games like Octopath Traveler will count as a major release in 2018.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Scrummer

Octane wrote:

OorWullie wrote:

Nintendo dominates the top places in Eurogamer's Game the Year.

ARMS - 6th
Mario v Rabbids - 5th
Odyssey - 3rd
Breath of the Wild - 1st

Destiny 2 - 7
Mass Effect: Andromeda - 26

Horizon Zero Dawn - 31
NieR: Automata - 36
Persona 5 - 47

I think it's fair to say their list was factually wrong.

I like Destiny 2 but it absolutely does not deserve to be that high up. Also I don't really get ARMS at 6? I mean, it's a good game, but not the 6th best of the year.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

NaviAndMii

My 2017 - '2 good, 2 bad':

Good:

• Switch: It's easy to forget that 'the worlds most powerful home console' launched this year - why? ..because the Switch stole all the headlines! An incredible (and welcome) return to form for the Big N - and a brand new way of enjoying games as well! Thank you, Nintendo - thank you so, so much!
  • The games: We were positively spoiled for choice on the gaming front this year, weren't we? Wow! Just wow! ..it's like we got 2 years worth of games in the space of just 10 months - and I now have a backlog that could comfortably see me through 2018! ..not just Nintendo either - all platforms did pretty well! ..even Xbox got, umm, like, uhh - hmm - Cuphead, I guess - so, yeah, erm, that's nice

Bad:

• Loot boxes: Boooo!
  • Gaming journalism: Not all journo's, of course - but it's kind of funny how a huge gaming platform like IGN can give the Switch (as a console) a pretty negative initial review and a score of just 6.7/10 - then just change their tune in the face of some astonishing sales figures. What was it that they 'weren't getting' exactly? ..not just IGN either - GameSpot didn't like the Switch, Eurogamer didn't like the Switch (etc. etc.) - then a few million sales later they do all of a sudden? - c'mon! **face palm**

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

Looks like Amazon has some new Switch preorders, they're only placeholders but gives even more signs towards a January Direct.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

preordered all of them 😉

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

FragRed

@Ralizah What the... That is the weirdest way of doing placeholders for unannounced games.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Ralizah

I'm going to be periodically refreshing amazon.com during the Switch presentation next year. I hope they're prepared for the storm that is heading their way.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

GrailUK

@Ralizah Mate, should I play 1-2 Switch before playing 25-34 Switch?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Scrummer

Since @NaviandMii did a 2 good, 2 bad thing, I decided to try something a little different, I did a good, bad, and ugly.

Good: This is probably pretty obvious. The Switch launched, and a plethora of amazing games came out. My biggest problem with the Switch is the fact that there were a ton of other amazing games I just didn't have time to play because I was so busy playing the Switch. (I. E, Cuphead, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Metroid: Samus Returns) The question on everyone's mind now is, what are Nintendo's plans for 2018? I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Bad: I have to buy an Xbox to play Cuphead >(((((((
In all seriousness, one of the lowest points of gaming this year were the fact that for most games, the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X didn't really help with games visual performance. This is a big problem when you think about the fact that they were being touted as consoles with "True 4K." Not to mention, a big demographic in the console market are those that simply like the accessibility. Most people who really care about 4K are already on PC.

Ugly: Game journalists were a big headline this year, from journalists being mocked for being "Bad at video games" because one writer (Who didn't review games, only wrote about tech and sale figures mind you) was bad at Cuphead, to, as mentioned by @NaviandMii, the Switch getting less than favorable reviews when it first came out, and then being praised as an amazing console when it got popular. Obviously, this doesn't apply to all game journalists, and even applies to those harassing game journalists for being "bad at video games", but overall this was an ugly aspect of 2017.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

JaxonH

@Scrummer

Cuphead is on STEAM. Even a potato PC can run it. Sync up an Xbox controller and go to town.

Also, as an owner of both PS4 Pro/Xbox One X, I would say the jump was marginal, particularly for PS4 Pro (MH World gains like 10fps in performance mode? Wth is that?). But the X1X is legit. I'm running Wolfenstein 2 at native 3840x2160 60fps. It's an incredible console. Not every game is going to hit native 4K but, to give contrast, that same game on PS4 Pro only runs at 2560x1440. That's like the difference between 1080p and 720p, but squared.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

The problem with the X and Pro will always be about the current gen library before those consoles were released. Convincing 3rd parties that it's worth going back to the older games and releasing an upgrade patch will be tough for Microsoft/Sony but at least some of them have been very supportive like Bethesda.

Grumblevolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Yeah there's really not much hope for the back catalogue except for the top 50 select titles.

However, both consoles add a boost to games regardless of whether they've been patched to run better. So you will get at the very least better frame rates, and if the game uses a dynamic resolution, I'm guessing a higher and more stable res.

Edited on by JaxonH

Ralizah

@GrailUK The idea that "1, 2 Switch" is only named that because the placeholder title was never altered, while unlikely, fills me with unexpected mirth.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

young_mama

I’m looking for adults that have splatoon 2

young_mama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic