Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,141 to 22,160 of 69,980

DarkRula

And no doubt they've had Switch dev kits for quite some time to test things out. Which is probably why the Stars rumour was started.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

IceClimbers

Let's not forget SMT V.

@FragRed @Octane That's assuming Kamiya's team is the one working on Bayo 3. It could be Hashimoto's team, which did Bayo 2. We don't know what they've been working on since finishing up with Star Fox Zero, which released months before Scalebound's cancellation

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

OorWullie

Nintendo dominates the top places in Eurogamer's Game the Year.

ARMS - 6th
Mario v Rabbids - 5th
Odyssey - 3rd
Breath of the Wild - 1st

4 of the top 6 games of the year according to one of the largest gaming websites. 2 nominations for game of the year and the winner at the Game Awards. The top 2 places at IGN's game of the year, 1st & 3rd at GameSpot's. A year that also saw incredible games like Splatoon 2,Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Xenoblade 2. The console has only been out for 9 months. I think it's fair to say this is far and away the strongest first year line up of games in history.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Octane

OorWullie wrote:

Nintendo dominates the top places in Eurogamer's Game the Year.

ARMS - 6th
Mario v Rabbids - 5th
Odyssey - 3rd
Breath of the Wild - 1st

Destiny 2 - 7
Mass Effect: Andromeda - 26

Horizon Zero Dawn - 31
NieR: Automata - 36
Persona 5 - 47

I think it's fair to say their list was factually wrong.

Octane

young_mama

I want to know how many grown-ups play Splatoon 2

young_mama

StuTwo

Some people are so pessimistic.

We don’t know what Nintendo has planned for 2018 yet. They’ll unveil details for the first 6 months in January (which might be slightly underwhelming from the perspective that there probably won’t be a single huge new game there) and then in June we’ll find out about what their plans are for the end of the year (which will include at least one big release).

They run a tighter ship in regards to leaks these days, they clearly have a very strong marketing plan for Switch and they’re bringing the full weight of their development teams behind Switch.

For better or worse we’ll see what that means in practice when Nintendo decides its the best time for us to know.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Ralizah

@Octane At least they got #1 right.

Persona 5 being so low boils my blood, though. The game is a modern classic.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 deserves far more recognition than it's received.

I think it's the best video game I've played in 2017, and let me tell you I played a lot of good video games this year.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

GrailUK

@JaxonH Ye, it's wonderfully involving. Love it

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

skywake

YummyHappyPills wrote:

We also said Xenoblade wouldn't be 2017. Look how wrong we have been.

Now that I can agree with. Remember after the October reveal and January Direct? How many titles in those two events did people underestimate. A lot of people were saying Zelda wouldn't be a launch game. Heaps of people were saying that the third party games shown like Skyrim wouldn't look anywhere near as close to "home console" graphics as they did in the trailer. If we got them at all. As you said everyone doubted Xenoblade would come out, the same people were saying that Mario game was 2018.

But pretty much everything we were shown is now out. Everything in the first reveal trailer, the vast majority of the stuff in the January direct. In addition to Doom, LA Noire, Rocket League, Mario & Rabbids and Pokken Tournament which we didn't (officially) know about at the time. Everyone, even the optimists like myself, underestimated how many games the Switch would actually be able to deliver.

We're sitting in a similar situation now. We know about games like Yoshi, Kirby, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon and most people are assuming that the big games aren't 2018 releases. They couldn't possibly be right? When did they have the time to develop them! But some of them will come out next year. They can't all be delayed, they can't all be very early in development. There will be some major releases on the Switch next year.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Harmonie

@skywake How much footage of the games that came out this year had been shown, though?

I think it's only natural to think that Pokemon and Metroid Prime 4 will come out later rather than sooner. Pokemon was announced merely with a "We can confirm it has begun development" and Metroid Prime 4 only got a logo. These are not signs of games coming out anytime soon.

Edited on by Harmonie

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Grumblevolcano

@skywake Wasn't a lot of the underestimation with the October reveal and January presentation games due to rumours though? Like with BotW, there was the big rumour about BotW not being launch because Mario Odyssey being the big launch title instead.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

@Harmonie Fire Emblem Switch "Got a logo" - 2018

Fire Emblem Warriors for new 3DS was shown for about 30 seconds. Game still came out.

Wolfenstein 2 - No footage, 2018.

DOOM, about 10 seconds, few months later it releases.

Pokemon was announced with "We have begun development". What does that mean? Well it could mean it started yesterday, or 25 years ago for all you know, because all they said was "It's in development". Never specified.

Remember Pokemon is typically announced with "It's practically done buy it in 6 months".

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

At the same time, Fire Emblem Warriors showed no gameplay on Switch and it released 6 months later.

And the main series Fire Emblem was given even less than Metroid Prime 4- not even so much as an official name or logo. Yet they said that game would be 2018.

Not to say I think Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon are coming in 2018. But it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

OorWullie

Tsurii wrote:

OorWullie wrote:

Eurogamer

Lmao

Doesn't matter what you think of it, it's still one of the largest gaming websites. It was also one that predicted Switch would have a tough road ahead of it so at least they're happy to admit they got it wrong. With IGN and Gamespot also putting Nintendo games at the top of the pile that's a huge win for Nintendo that will only help make Switch sales even stronger.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

skywake

Harmonie wrote:

@skywake How much footage of the games that came out this year had been shown, though?

Fair call but I think my point remains. People still seriously underestimated when these games would be coming out. Also how well they would perform if/when they did come out. I distinctly remember some people trying to argue after the October reveal that all of the footage was canned because it was added to the screens in post. Sure some of that was the tail end of the Wii U era Nintendo scepticism but as I said even the optimists underestimated where we'd be now.

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@skywake Wasn't a lot of the underestimation with the October reveal and January presentation games due to rumours though? Like with BotW, there was the big rumour about BotW not being launch because Mario Odyssey being the big launch title instead.

Aren't most rumours nothing more than forum chatter anyway? I seem to remember before launch one of the more persistent rumours was that we'd see ports of Wii U titles. Nothing about Mario before the October reveal from memory. But a lot about us getting almost direct ports of Smash Bros, Mario Maker, Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart with BotW being the big launch game. So there were rumours for just about every scenario.

Anyways, of the games we haven't been shown much of I think we'll see Bayonetta 3, Fire Emblem and Pokemon next year. Fire Emblem was announced too early for it not to be pretty far along by now. Pokemon is an annualised game at this point and I think they'll hit their target. Bayonetta 3 I'm pretty confident about mostly because they're releasing ports of 1 & 2 in February. Doesn't make much sense to build hype now by releasing 1 & 2 if 3 is 2 years away.

But Metroid Prime 4 I think we only know about because Nintendo wanted to show that all three of their big franchises were coming to the party. The Wii U didn't get the Mario people wanted, it got it's own Zelda on the day its successor launched and it didn't get Metroid. Nintendo being able to stand up at E3 and say the Switch has Zelda, it's getting Mario soon and Metroid is in development? That's a big deal. Which is why I don't think it's very far along.

Edited on by skywake

Luna_110

I don't think we will get Prime 4 next year. The "now in development" at E3 seems to me that the game just got out of pre production, or we would have had some footage to generate hype.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

IceClimbers

@skywake Well Fire Emblem was given a 2018 date anyways. We just don't know when in 2018. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets a proper unveiling as one of the spotlighted games in the January Direct.

What's interesting here is that Nintendo usually doesn't like to announce games more than 6-8 months in advance, but they've definitely gone against that lately with Pokemon, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, SMT V (technically that's Atlus, but it was announced at Nintendo's event), and Pikmin 4, which was just casually announced in an interview. I think Pokemon and maybe Pikmin 4 will launch first of the bunch. Bayo 3 I think will be a Spring 2019 title, with Metroid later in 2019. SMT V could easily be a 2020 title knowing Atlus.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

skywake

@IceClimbers
At the same time they can't all be 2019, 2020 titles. With the exception of the tail end of the Wii U era Nintendo typically publish one "major" release every month across both of their platforms. And "major release" is arbitrary, I just don't think stuff like NES Remix, Badge Arcade or Wii Fit U really counts. Either way there has typically been a fairly regular flow of releases from Nintendo.

So far from what I can tell we can be pretty confident of 4 games on 3DS/Switch for 2018. Two of them (Kirby on Switch and Bayonetta 1 & 2) being confirmed as early 2018 releases. If Nintendo are keeping up their usual pace for releases? There are about 8 games for 2018 we don't have confirmed yet. I think it only makes sense that some of those 8 will be one or more of the 6 Switch games we already know exist.....

Edited on by skywake

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic