Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,121 to 22,140 of 22,829

Octane

Ralizah wrote:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-gamefreak-might-be-doi...

On the recent podcast of Easy Allies, Damiani said that he heard from trusted sources that due to the success of Breath of the Wild and positive reaction to Odyssey that Gamefreak might being doing something “disruptive” like those two.

I'm not sure Damiani is the best source when it comes to scoops

Octane

Ralizah

Pokemon games are rarely well-optimized for the platforms they're on: just look at how Sun and Moon performed on the New 3DS, a machine that could also run Xenoblade Chronicles with nary a hitch! So I'm not sure I could see them designing a BotW-esque experience that didn't look terrible and run like pot. At least, not without some outside help.

A girl can dream, though.

@Tsurii What stupidity?

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

IceClimbers

@Ralizah Especially if the rumblings are true about Nintendo pressurizing Game Freak to get the game out by Holiday 2018.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Kimyonaakuma

They'll probably change things a little but not to the extent of BotW and Odyssey.
Pokemon games are tricky because each generation adds a lot of improvements and features but then abandons them for the next game.

I'm not even sure how the games look to be honest. The 3DS games actually look pretty good but run at a low resolution. If they added any console level effects like particles and complex materials then the cartoony look of the games will be lost.

I think the Switch will see two generations of Pokemon on the system like the 3DS, and it will have the same growing pains as the 3DS had. X and Y obviously had some problems transitioning to 3D and the new games will probably have the same issues transitioning to HD.
The new Switch games will probably look like an HD Sun and Moon and we'll have to wait for the next generation for it to fully adapt. However that all depends how much time they give the new games, I would expect the games to come out in at least two years but they'll probably be pushed to release next year. But that's all my speculation, how would I know?

I seem to be invisible here, or maybe just ignored? Who knows...

Ralizah

@IceClimbers I'm imagining Kimishima kidnapping key GameFreak personnel and forcing them to code 24/7 in decompression chambers.

@Kimyonaakuma Honestly, Sun and Moon would probably look really good in HD, so I'd be perfectly happy with a Switch Pokemon game running in that same engine. I'm just hoping the next game is a bit more freeform. It sometimes felt like you couldn't walk more than five steps in Sun and Moon without triggering a cutscene of some sort.

Edited on by Ralizah

DarkRula

I'm not sure the help of Genius Sonority would be much use in terms of HD, but they know a thing or two about console games - so if it was a joint venture between the two, maybe we'd get something decently optimised?

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

JaxonH

Just having Pokémon in clean, HD graphics on handheld or TV, with full analog movement instead of 8 directions (maybe they already addressed that, Idk) would be enough for me.

Of course, I can only hope they up their game even half as much as the Zelda and Mario teams. Even that would make for an incredible game.

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

Kimyonaakuma

@Ralizah Yeah I agree that it would look amazing if it looked like an HD Sun and Moon.
I think if they used the higher res versions of each model, use higher resolution textures and run at 1080p then it would look amazing. 60fps would be nice but I'm happy with a stable 30fps. That would have to be manageable on a system as powerful as the Switch, especially when compared to the 3DS.

I think instead of focusing on "next gen effects" to use the power of the Switch they should increase the scale of they game. Bigger towns, bigger environments and a larger region overall. I don't want a sandbox or open world Pokemon game, but a bigger scale should be good.

Maybe have routes with a decent amount of branching paths, for example you could go through the river, stay up on a hill or use the cycle path. That way there would be more scale but keep the linearity of the routes. It also allows for new battles even if you go through the routes several times. The height of the maps could be improved because no landmass is as flat as they are in Pokémon, and when they are it's masked with a loading screen.

Towns could also be larger, towns and villages should remain the same size but if you're going to call it a city make it large! Each region shouldn't only have one recently sized city each. Add extra streets, make more buildings for the player to enter and add more people. I think Yo Kai Watch has done better towns in recent years because they feel real, maybe GameFreak should take some of what they're doing on board?

EDIT - I'm really sorry to everyone that reads my replies! I just have too many ideas and write too much...

Edited on by Kimyonaakuma

Ralizah

@Kimyonaakuma Agreed. Pokemon, more than perhaps any other game, would massively benefit from expanding the scope of the world and allowing you to explore it fully. Which is why I still think the BotW approach, as unlikely as it is to happen, would be a great direction for the series to go. Everyone I know likes Pokemon primarily for the exploratory, adventurous vibe the series has always had.

If they did that, they could stay on Sun and Moon-level visuals forever and I'd likely be satisfied.

Sun and Moon already made huge strides in this direction on a visual level. The character models and even environments look fantastic in those games. It's just too bad they rip control away from you every five seconds.

roy130390

Ralizah wrote:

@Kimyonaakuma Agreed. Pokemon, more than perhaps any other game, would massively benefit from expanding the scope of the world and allowing you to explore it fully. Which is why I still think the BotW approach, as unlikely as it is to happen, would be a great direction for the series to go. Everyone I know likes Pokemon primarily for the exploratory, adventurous vibe the series has always had.

If they did that, they could stay on Sun and Moon-level visuals forever and I'd likely be satisfied.

Sun and Moon already made huge strides in this direction on a visual level. The character models and even environments look fantastic in those games. It's just too bad they rip control away from you every five seconds.

Just imagine having several caves, towns, forests and ruins to explore and talking about your discoveries on forums and sharing tips. It would be like playing for the first time all over again.

I wouldn't even care if they still look as Sun and Moon on HD as long as there's many secrets and places to discover, but probably the opposite will happen: We'll receive a gorgeous game in terms of visuals, but with little to no change to the established formula.

roy130390

OorWullie

If Nintendo are expecting to shift 25 to 30m Switch next year as rumoured then surely Pokémon arriving in 2018 has to be part of the plan. Whatever happens with that though, I'm confident Nintendo have something really massive and unexpected for next year that they're going to announce in the next Direct which is surely coming any week now.That 2018 infograph needs filled out with some games, dates and a stand out title for those Xmas shoppers.

Edited on by OorWullie

Switch Friend Code: SW-6101-8403-1640

Nintendo Network ID: Ar_Tee_Es

Kimyonaakuma

@Ralizah Yeah I'd agree that the adventurous aspect Pokémon is one of the better parts of the series.
I think they need to look what the basic idea of Pokemon is and build something based on those ideas. To me Pokémon is an adventure where you get to explore with the Pokémon that you like. Story elements aren't super important to me, the story usually ends quite soon and most of my time is spent running around the towns afterwards. The newer games seem to be more story focused but in a very linear way. In BW you are literally forced around a circle and XY did a similar thing except that you usually returned to a central city. Sun and Moon have a good region and to me it's the first "3D" region. Of course they used 3D models on the DS and XY/ORAS continued this but it still kept the same perspective and the regions were still locked to an invisible grid.
Alola broke this which I really appreciated, every building didn't face the front of the screen and from the first island we were able to go all the way around the back.
However they didn't let you enjoy the areas because you just completed a trial and left. At least with the Gyms there was some story beforehand which makes it memorable. I can barely remember the names of most of Alola's towns due to this.

But yeah, rant over (hopefully, but this is me so who knows ). In conclusion, the 3DS games really worked on the visuals and nailed the way that series should look in full 3D. But they need to work on the story, which reflects the new regions overall. I think a lot of problems will actually be solved when they move to a more powerful console, but they need to reintroduce the adventure aspect instead of a quick story and tour with a legendary pokemon at the end.

JaxonH

I think next year we're gonna see Kirby and Animal Crossing really pull in the 3DS players and other demographics, I think Smash Bros Complete and Mario Maker 2 will pull in considerable numbers of gamers from other platforms, while Fire Emblem Switch and Pikmin 4 will pull in any remaining core Nintendo console gamers who have yet to upgrade. I also think a competent Fire Emblem can bring in new gamers as well (not necessarily new Switch owners, but existing owners who never played the series). Then Project Octopath Traveller and Dragon Quest Builders (both published by Nintendo) will help pull in more RPG fans, hopefully Vita gamers. And lastly, Pokémon for the grand November finale to pull in everyone else.

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

NaviAndMii

My dream scenario would be for Pokémon Switch to not just be like Breath of the Wild - but for it to even be built from the ground up using Breath of the Wild's engine! ..there were multiple occasions, when playing Breath of the Wild, that the thought would cross my mind that a Pokémon game in that exact style would just be a dream come true! ..whether Nintendo or Game Freak would even entertain the idea is another matter - but, either way, I'd love to see another game built using that engine at some point - and Pokémon would be pretty much my first choice if I had it my way!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 SNES 🎮 N64 🎮 GB 🎮 GG 🎮 PC 🎮 PS2 🎮 GC 🎮 PSP 🎮 Wii 🎮 X360 🎮 PS4 🎮 MDC 🎮 Switch 🎮

Currently Playing (Online):

PS4: GT Sport (DR: D, SR: S)

Switch: Mario Kart 8 DX (R: 8500, B: 2000) | Splatoon 2 (Lvl: 46, RM: A-, SZ: B+, TC: A)

Switch Nickname: TomCat★

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii

Spoony_Tech

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is coming to the Switch.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ralizah

Oh man, I've owned Valkyria Chronicles forever, but never got around to playing it. TIme to change that!

IceClimbers

Oh hell yes. I wonder if that means the remaster on PS4 will get ported to Switch? Seems like an ideal candidate for a Switch port anyways regardless of the new game.

Spoony_Tech

Reveal trailer for Valkyria Chronicles 4

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

IceClimbers

Next year is already looking good for Japanese games:

Ni No Kuni II, Monster Hunter World, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Yakuza 6, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Shadow of the Colussus, Project Octopath Traveler, Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi, Fire Emblem.

Damn good.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic