Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,081 to 22,100 of 37,726

Ralizah

@SKTTR A lot of them are getting LRG releases. Hopefully we'll see other services like that pop up.

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@JaxonH We're talking about the mixed digital physical releases and we're talking about digital games. To a large extent there's a size threshold where it becomes inappropriate as the only option. You may not mind your "retail" games as digital only (isn't that an oxymoron, a retail product not retailed?) but very many others desire choice. Again, there's a reason why Sony made the "this is how you share games on PS4" video. They knew that a significant market would resonate with that message which was a 180 from what they were planning to say 4 hours earlier. And guess what: PS4 is on its way to best selling console ever. Clearly they weren't unwise to provide what that market wanted. My "backward" "ultra conservative" self watched that E3 to decide upon X1 or PS4. After that video, I pre-ordered two PS4s. And apparently so did millions of others.

This isn't "activism" this is market demand. Nobody says there's no market for digital. That's a defensive statement. But it's clear there IS a market for physical. You seem to view physical as collectors items, rather than the more useful, usable, practical means of loading games and managing libraries. For most of us that like physical it's about the most practical, usable library management. Physical = convenience for our use just as digital does for yours.

Nor is it ignoring "some of the best games" because it's stored on an SD card. It's about ignoring the games because they have no viable method to get it on the SD card or to do so without hassle.

Tell you what, next time I need to experience "one of the best games" that requires a 23GB download on my portable console, I'll just feel free to tether it wirelessly to my mobile hotspot......the extra 23GB in hotspot use should be...what.....at current per GB rates.....$92 per game? I'll be sure to send you that bill. Can't stop progress, can we?

@Grumblevolcano @SKTTR @gcunit Very well said, all of you!

NEStalgia

Knuckles-Fajita

@NEStalgia That "This is how you share games on PS4" is a load of bull anyway.

Sure, you can lend a friend your disc, but then you have almost the entire game minus on-disc DRM installed on your hard drive and it's inaccessible. But the game is right there. Just cant play it.

Personally I'm just sick of living in the EU where not only do we in the UK have some insane prices on things, but we also get the shaft with late releases, no physical versions (If we are even that lucky...) and maybe the game isn't missing content because lol censorship (South Park)

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
Anyone who's dumb enough to use mobile hotspot to download a game deserves to pay the bill. Obviously you use your normal Wi-Fi. And if you don't have that then it sucks to be you, Idk what else to say. Come on man. I know it's hard to accept but, digital downloads is part of gaming. It just is. We can pretend it's still 1996 all day long, but one way or another you're gonna need downloads. If it's not digital it's partial digital. If it's not partial digital it's day one updates requires to run properly. If it's not updates it's DLC. You have to download.

Hassle is part of life. You deal with the hassle of downloading the game or you deal with the hassle of getting up and changing cartridges every time you play a game. Hassle is unavoidable.

At the end of the day, either you like video games enough to buy and enjoy them or you don't. And while I always have my preference, I care about games. I don't care if it's on a disc, cart, download, or comes on a rubber duck with USB cable. I'm in it for the games. That's what's mattered since the 80's and still matters now

NOW PLAYING
NS: Diablo 3, Monster Hunter Gen Ult, Dark Souls, World of Final Fantasy, TWEWY
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
X1: Red Dead Redemption 2
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

DarkRula

Just as a question to both sides - would a system where the game is downloaded on a dedicated online store from a PC or laptop to then be transferred to the console [whether through SD Card or direct-with-cable] be helpful in such a situation?

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

SKTTR

I just look at my friend who has only 20 retail games on Wii U, while I have 300 digital Wii U games, 60 of them also available on retail.

My 300 games are worthless and soon to be gone, while he has hundreds of euros lying around with just 20 games that he can keep forever.

Ironically he paid less for those 20 retail games than what I paid for the same 20 games digitally.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

GrailUK

@SKTTR Maybe with this generation, Nintendo selects re-releases will become more collectable than the originals if they include all the patches or be able to use bigger cartridges because costs have come down etc. (Might also be a sneaky way of making folk double dip!)

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

NEStalgia

@YummyHappyPills Well I dislike the whole "install to disc" system overall, but it makes sense for technical reasons with optical discs. It's not really a load of bull that you can lend someone the disc and they can install and play, and then you get the disc back and can install and play. It's the same licensing as if it were on a cartridge for SNES after all. The only annoyance is it's still eating space on your HD if you don't delete it.....of course if there aren't 100GB patches there's no harm in deleting it. At least the content is ON the disc, regardless of if you can let 300 people install it but not play it. Whoever has the actual disc gets to play it.

The REAL reason to be miffed at that video is at the start of that day their plan was identical to Microsoft's. They reacted to the backlash and changed their policy last minute. That's smart business (which was my point of bringing it up) but they tried to act so innocent when they were just as evil at the start of the day

@JaxonH Well you recall my cord cutting plans, with gaming being the only thing presenting problems? Metered connections. If I download that 23GB patch I have to be very very lean in doing absolutely anything else for the remainder of the month. My problem is born of a particular solution to a particular problem. But lots and lots of people simply have no choice, the access to internet of the spec required for the all digital ecosystem simply doesn't exist for everyone and shows now sign of existing anytime soon. We had WiMax.....Verizon and AT&T saw to it to annihilate the potential of that as fast as possible. And rolling fiber to every structure is about as backward as rejecting digital downloads. We're not there yet. And Mattrick-style assertions as though that's not the case aren't really helpful to anyone. Step outside whatever region you're in that has great internet and look at all the areas of the US that don't. Heck, a Switch in PR would suck...even whenever they get electricity back to charge the thing, internet is going to be down and patchy for a long long time. And that's part of the US!

Then we get into countries where Sony probably does more business than Nintendo where a 56k modem would be speed scarcely dreamed of. There's a lot to consider when discussing a new "utility" as mandatory. Heck it's 2017 and not everywhere has gas lines yet......and the areas that don't don't seem scheduled to any time in the next half century. And that's a 19th century utility. (No gas where I am, and it's a densely populated area! Now try internet )

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@DarkRula From my perspective that can definitely help in some cases, sure. Do you mean just downloading it on a PC elsewhere and then bringing it home? That could work in cases. In many ways the ideal would be the ability to have a store that does the downloading to a card and ships it to you retail (or doing it in-store at retail stores.) Walk into gamestop and they "burn a disc" (or SD card) of your purchase, etc. Or just online, where they ship it to you like a regular physical game, that surely would help.

@SKTTR Indeed! Heck Gamestop is selling refurbished WiiUs with 1-2 games as bundles for like $230. Your digital library would be a refurb WiiU with zero games.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
That's all you had to say.

Having legit restrictions that prevent you from buying a digital game is a completely different thing than someone who has perfectly fine Wi-Fi and just says "nah... just nah, I'm boycotting all games sold on the eshop"

NOW PLAYING
NS: Diablo 3, Monster Hunter Gen Ult, Dark Souls, World of Final Fantasy, TWEWY
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
X1: Red Dead Redemption 2
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Octane

I buy physical because it's a lot cheaper. A lot of digital games are €70 these days, whereas the physical copies are €60, meaning I get probably get them for €50-€54 at launch.

Octane

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Fair enough! It's all too often that the pro-digital side of the argument always tends to just assume that everyone has to have the same access to internet and that it's just an argument of which equally accessible distribution method is preferred, without looking into all the issues and limitations associated for large numbers of people which will remain an issue with the digital method for quite some time.

Switch actually highlights that by means of being a portable console, which is more likely to be purchased by people with spotty, limited, or unreliable internet than a TV tethered box.

To Nintendo's credit, they DID consider this at least somewhat with the local downloads of patches from other consoles (doesn't work for eshop games but works for the split distribution)...something other consoles don't permit. It's a great feature....but it STILL took me almost an hour to transfer the 14GB L.A. Noire patch from one switch to another....That surprised me...no interent, just local ad-hoc wifi between Switches, and of course you have to have a Switch with the game to copy from but for family multiple-switch households it's at least a helpful (if unadvertised) feature.

NEStalgia

Therad

Sometimes when I hear how people talk about their internet connections in the states I get amazed how backwards some parts of the country is. We have a vacation house that is getting fibre next year. In the middle of nowhere. And it felt about time. One of my co-workers have an even more remote location, with no water, they got fibre last year.

Therad

DarthNocturnal

And then you have Canada, where internet (and cellular) is under a monopoly (although a few other providers might help change that), and you get crap service, but at a premium!

Although, apparently we're trying to bring internet with 50 mbps download minimum and 10 mbps upload minimum to at least 90% of the households in Canada by 2020 (or 2021, not sure). I'll believe it when I see it.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Knuckles-Fajita

Apparently the guys making Tekken want us to "Make out voices heard" about a possible Tekken 7 on Switch.

No. Let's not.

NLI Discord:

Spoony_Tech

I like to reward the devs that are being proactive and not reactive thank you. Either bring it out or don't. Stop making people beg for something.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

KirbyTheVampire

I don't plan on buying any third party fighting games for the Switch. It's only a matter of time before Smash comes.

And besides, Tekken 7 would probably end up being full price on the Switch anyway, like basically every other non-indie third party game. I'd rather pay the 40 dollars or however much it costs for the PS4.

That's something that really frustrates me about the third party situation on the Switch. As someone who never uses it as a portable, I have no desire to pay full price for an inferior (for me. I know they're not inferior for a lot of portable gamers) version of old games.

KirbyTheVampire

GrailUK

I'm too busy begging for Dragonball FighterZ. Sorry Tekken 7.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Knuckles-Fajita

@GrailUK You're right...they already pulled this stunt with DBZ and then, hilariously, Project Cars 2, as if ANY Nintendo fan would put money anywhere near those bas*****.

I'm sure there are more too.

NLI Discord:

iKhan

Call me when SoulCalibur VI comes out.

Currently Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, ARMS, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Steamworld Dig 2, A Hat In Time, (maybe some Wii games over Thanksgiving w/ the fam)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic