Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,081 to 22,100 of 26,248

StuTwo

NaviAndMii wrote:

I don't think that anyone would deny that 2017 has given us many exceptional experiences - considerably above average, that's for sure! ..but, for some, they may not feel that a game 'took them to the Moon' this year - and I can kind of understand that perspective, that's all

So you’re saying the people who haven’t finished Mario might not think 2017 is as great as the rest of us think it’s been then?

Edited on by StuTwo

StuTwo

gcunit

'Amazing year for games' is a relative expression. If this year wasn't the best year, which years beat it? If no years beat it, then saying it's been an amazing year isn't much of a stretch.

Use the 'ignore' button, it works.

Currently playing: Rocket League; Splatoon 2; Super Mario Odyssey; Xenoblade Chronicles; Fire Emblem; Suikoden; Kirby Triple Deluxe; ICO; Gravity Rush; Ratchet & Clank; Red Faction: Guerilla; Fez; FIFA 18

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

gcunit

@StuTwo If you're gonna use spoiler tags, it helps if there's a general indication of what the spoiler's about, otherwise nobody's got any idea whether it's safe for them or not.

@Anti-Matter - after your recommendation for Yonder, I tweeted the devs to ask about a Switch port:

Untitled

Yonder port confirmed!

Edited on by gcunit

Use the 'ignore' button, it works.

Currently playing: Rocket League; Splatoon 2; Super Mario Odyssey; Xenoblade Chronicles; Fire Emblem; Suikoden; Kirby Triple Deluxe; ICO; Gravity Rush; Ratchet & Clank; Red Faction: Guerilla; Fez; FIFA 18

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

Octane

FIFA (PS3) outsold the Switch version. The numbers on Switch aren't amazing.

Octane

GrailUK

@Octane Well, I am sure they can evaluate how they can do better next time. They seem to have a lot of evaluating to do...about a great many things...

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

JaxonH

@Octane
Did it really? Do we have numbers confirming that?

Not that I doubt it. There's an established player base just like people still buy Just Dance on Wii. But Switch version must have at least outsold 360 then, right? As long as it out sold one of the versions there is merit to making another one. Because they're going to keep making them for PS3/360 consoles. If Switch brings in more scratch than either of them, there's no reason to not make another.

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Bayonetta 2, DOOM, DQ Builders
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro: MH World, Shadow of the Colossus
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Kimyonaakuma

@Octane It's not that suprising though is it? Is the new console with a smaller install base going to sell more than the older console that already has a lot of FIFA fans? No it's not unsuprisingly.

FIFA is one of those series that has a big audience of younger fans. I'd say it's similar to Just Dance where lots of parents will just pick up the newest version for their kid and not really consider a console upgrade. Most people's parents aren't the most knowledgeable when it comes to new consoles and stuff like that, I've even had a member of my family ask me if they plugged a PS3 into another PS3 if it would become a PS6! ....but that was an extreme example from my weird family, most people know a little more than that!

But anyway, the PS3 version will outsell the Switch version until the Nintendo sells more Switches or they stop supporting the PS3 with new installments. There will be a point when the PS3 can't keep up and it will be left behind.

I usually write WAAAAY TOO MUCH!
...so I'll apologise now in advance.

Octane

@JaxonH No official numbers, they're from VGChartz. 175,773 for the PS3 version, and 107,788 for the Switch. Even with a small error margin, the difference is significant. Xbox is definitely a lot less popular over here, and Europe accounts for most of the FIFA sales, so that makes sense (360 numbers are 69,115 by the way). But those versions aren't portable though.

On the other hand, I also think that most of the FIFA player-base are casual gamers, and they probably don't own a Switch at this point (yet).

@Kimyonaakuma User base =/= active user base. There's a reason why the PS4 version outsold the PS3 version 25:1, despite the fact that more people own a PS3 than a PS4.

Octane

JaxonH

@Octane
I guess that's not horrible. Granted I'm going to assume digital was counted for PS3 and 360 but not Switch, since the sales numbers that's based off of always exclude digital on Switch but not for other platforms.

For a platform notorious for having no interest in sports games, and a very small userbase, it seems like an ok start. It'll only grow with time, and as more of the casual players buy a Switch those sales will increase.

I think NBA 2K18 did better than FIFA, but I could be wrong. Seemed to chart higher on eshop and TakeTwo said they were good with the sales so...

But this holiday should bump the sales on both those games. Nintendo fans put a much higher value on games over time. Whereas other gamers buy right at launch and that's where most sales come from. Games on Nintendo have much longer sales curves. I wouldn't be surprised if FIFA 18 hit 200k over time, plus digital, so who knows it may end up doing a quarter million.

NOW PLAYING
New 3DS:
PSVR:
Vita:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Kimyonaakuma

@Octane A large amount of people that bought a PS3 will have upgraded to a PS4, so it's not surprising that it's sold more. There's still a reasonably sized market for people that are still a console generation behind, so the PS3 is going to have a lot of games that will remain active for a while, and FIFA just takes advantage of that by still releasing new versions.
Besides the Switch is new, hasn't had time to get a huge userbase and Nintendo hasn't had a FIFA game for a few years. It didn't stand a chance. I think next year's version has a better chance of the Switch keeps it's momentum.

I usually write WAAAAY TOO MUCH!
...so I'll apologise now in advance.

IceClimbers

@Octane @JaxonH Probably worth pointing out that FIFA released on PS2 up through FIFA 14. That series has a large following in poorer countries, particularly those in Latin/South America, and that audience is why it continued to launch on PS2 for so long. PS3 I assume is the replacement for that.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

RR529

I know this is a silly question, but is it okay to put the Switch in the dock everytime you're not playing?

Right now I'm using it soley as a portable (mostly tabletop, actually) because our TV has a picture issue, and even after playing it for an hour the battery life is barely dented, and am wondering if it's safe to put it back on the charger when it's already still almost full?

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

IceClimbers

@RR529 It's completely safe other than the possibility of the dock scratching the screen

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

IceClimbers wrote:

@RR529 It's completely safe other than the possibility of the dock scratching the screen

Which isn't an issue if you buy the amFilm tempered glass screen protector. $8 for a pack of two. Even idgits such as myself who absolutely suck at putting on screen protectors can put on a glass screen protector without bubbles.

NOW PLAYING
New 3DS:
PSVR:
Vita:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Caldorosso-E

The stars rarely align like 2017. It might as well be 3017 before it happens again.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none.
~~/watch?v=zSAJ0l4OBHM~~
-Verified Cheese Aficionado and Abecedarian Author-

RR529

@IceClimbers, @JaxonH, thanks! I'm going to buy some screen protectors next weekend probably.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

JaxonH

@Caldorosso-E
I remember thinking 2013 was a fantastic year. Just cause we got

Fire Emblem Awakening
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
DKC Returns 3D
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Zelda Windwaker HD Remake
Super Mario 3D World

Across Wii U and 3DS.

Then in 2014 I thought it was an amazing year for getting, oh what was it...

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
DKC Tropical Freeze
Bayonetta 2
Super Smash Bros
Dragon Age Inquisition
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
Mario Golf World Tour
Borderlands 2 Vita
Wolfenstein
Shovel Knight
Halo MasterChief Collection

I remember those as being two highlight years for me. Now I look back on it and this year, Shovel Knight Treasure Trove isn't even a blip on the radar compared to all the other awesome games releasing.

NOW PLAYING
New 3DS:
PSVR:
Vita:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

Anyway, whole new video game genres do emerge. Just look at MMOs. When I was growing up, MMOs weren't a thing. You had a few MUDs in the mid 90s (around SNES time), but until stuff like EQ and Ultima (1997-99) started development, the genre didn't exist. That's an entire genre. I'm just talking about games.And as much as I'm hesitant to jump on board, I think virtual reality may lead to some interesting discoveries.

The difference is that games are a relatively new and evolving media. Most of the staple game genres of today were born out of developments in tech not new kinds of art. On this site when people are asked to list innovative games they'll probably rattle off a list of N64/GC era games. Games from the period of time when everything had to be new as even the sequels were 3D sequels to 2D games.

Fast forward to today and there hasn't really been a change in what's possible in a game for a while. We went from 2D to 3D, SD to HD, memory cards to internal storage, couch multiplayer to ubiquitous broadband. Aside from the Switch which is bringing portable gaming upto spec what does this generation offer that's new in terms of the hardware?

gcunit wrote:

'Amazing year for games' is a relative expression. If this year wasn't the best year, which years beat it? If no years beat it, then saying it's been an amazing year isn't much of a stretch.

IMO 2007. Mostly because we got Mario and Metroid while still winding down from the Wii's launch with Zelda/Wii Sports. We also got Portal, Bioshock, the CoD people list often list as the best CoD, one of the best Pokemon generations and it was peak Guitar Hero. But you're right, as a Nintendo fan its hard to beat a year that has great versions of Mario & Zelda.

StuTwo wrote:

So you’re saying the people who haven’t finished Mario might not think 2017 is as great as the rest of us think it’s been then?

I think its fair to say that most of what makes that game great is in spoiler tags. Without the reference to Donkey Kong at the end of New Donk City, the bit where you go to the moon and the fact that you go to Mario 64 after the end credits? Those things are what make it as good as it is. Without that the only thing you know about the game are the mechanics built around Cappy. Which are amazing on their own but you don't realise quite how amazing it is until you're possessing Bowser and Yoshi

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

RETRO_J

@JaxonH I'll see your 2017 and raise you 1998:

1080 Snowboarding
Banjo Kazooie
F-Zero X
Gran Turismo
Grim Fandango
Half Life
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Metal Gear Solid
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Pokemon Red and Blue
Resident Evil 2
Rogue Squadron
Soul Calibur
Spyro the Dragon
Starcraft
Thief: The Dark Project
Unreal

I can't imagine any year surpassing the sheer wealth of creativity and imagination shown by game developers in 1998, at a time when video games were just beginning to become the mainstream juggernaut we know today. For me, a great year is defined by originality and this year in particular epitomised this like no other. There were so many great series begun that went on to become major sellers, or at the very least highly regarded by those within the industry.

As successful as 2017 has been at providing critically acclaimed titles for us all to enjoy, particularly with regards to Nintendo's new console, I wouldn't describe it as the most creative or inspired period for the games industry as a whole, at least not from where I'm standing. It's certainly been a lot of fun though.

Edited on by RETRO_J

RETRO_J

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic