Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,081 to 22,100 of 69,981

Matthew46

I received a Switch for Christmas but, when it's in docked mode, I'd noticed something that... well, hopefully is nothing to worry about. But I'd be really grateful if anyone might be able to put my mind at ease, please.

When I've docked the Switch and placed both Joy-Cons in the grip, I press Home to turn on the console, which lights up the four LEDs for the right Joy-Con. The startup screen asks me to press any button three times to reach the Home menu. On the Home menu, an animation then plays in the lower left corner, asking me to press ZL to turn on the left Joy-Con. It's embarrassing to ask, but: is this normal or, when they're in the grip, should the left Joy-Con wake up when the right turns on?

It's just that, hearing about the left Joy-Con syncing problems at launch, I was a little concerned that it was a symptom of something like that.

Matthew46

JaxonH

@Matthew46
No. They are always recognized separately. You always have to press ZL for the left one and ZR for the right one, separately. Being in the grip makes no difference. The system doesn't know the difference between being in the grip and not being in the grip. All it knows is that you are using them as a pair or individually. If you want to use them individually then you have to turn it on its side and press SL and SR. but if you just press ZR, that only recognizes the right one. And then it's going to be waiting for you to press ZL so it can recognize the left

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NaviAndMii

@Matthew46 Yeah, nothing to worry about

The two Joy-Con are technically two separate controllers - you need to tap ZR and ZL three times each for the console to recognise that you're using them as one controller in the Grip (instead of SR and SL for using one Joy-Con horizontally) ..it does feel a little strange at first, but it's something you'll get used to!

šŸŽ® Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Matthew46

Thanks, everyone, for your help ā€“ that's a big relief. I really didn't want to have to send my left Joy-Con off for repair!

Matthew46

Reginald

Does anyone know if there's something up with Shakedown Hawaii? It doesn't appear in the Switch eShop at all. Retro City Rampage DX is still there, but not SH.

Reginald

Ralizah

It's funny how completely Pocket Rumble dropped off the map.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Reginald

@link3710 Yeah I'm an idiot. I kept thinking it was already out. Thanks.

Reginald

SuperWeird

@JaxonH "The system doesn't know the difference between being in the grip and not being in the grip."

Actually it does. Try playing ARMS with the JoyCons in the grip vs using them separately; it automatically switches from standard controls to motion controls, and there's no way to overide this. The system definitely knows whether your JoyCons are in the grip or not.

SuperWeird

Ralizah

@SuperWeird I think that's the single biggest thing that put me off from getting ARMS. I prefer using freeform joycons when playing my games, but I don't really care for the motion controls.

JaxonH

@SuperWeird
Perhaps you're right, but it still should make no difference when pairing. It's the same thing as split joycon which is treated as one controller but in two parts.

When you pair in the grip, it's treated identically to split joycon. It registers each side separately. Maybe specific games recognise it, maybe not, Idk... but I do know that pairing from a grip is no different than split joycon.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

I think ARMS detects movement in the joycons, and switches to motion then. I've definitely been able to play with buttons and split joycons for a few seconds before ARMS would disastrously switch me over to motion once my hand moved a little.

antster1983

Ralizah wrote:

It's funny how completely Pocket Rumble dropped off the map.

Next year, according to Nintendo of America's site.

antster1983

Switch Friend Code: SW-7169-0993-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: antster1983 | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

@NaviAndMii @JaxonH Whats this talk of pressing ZL and ZR to sync? Here in the UK its L and R...

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

gcunit

Ralizah wrote:

...but I don't really care for the motion controls.

You should, they're great

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Kimyonaakuma

Does anyone have a way of improving the connectivity of the joy cons? I can't put my switch anywhere except behind my TV, but it makes playing with split joy cons so frustrating! It will just cut out and not do anything or it will just keep repeating the input that it last received.

I found that putting them in the grip fixes the issue from most angles but it's not the best for motion controls. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world either. Any suggestions? Or should I just save my money for a Pro Controller?

Kimyonaakuma

StuTwo

@NaviAndMii yes! That was a great mode. The castle one was pretty good too.

If theyā€™re ripping things off from Diddy Kong Racing though letā€™s be clear in two words: Icicle Pyramid.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

StuTwo

@FragRed I donā€™t know. I think thereā€™s still a lot of scope. Announcing DLC around the release of a game isnā€™t always popular & the original DLC wasnā€™t announced until months after launch.

Particularly for a ā€˜completeā€™ port it would have been risky to announce DLC early. The discussion around the game would have been clouded over in part about how thereā€™s still a question mark over what the DLC would be and criticism that they should have delayed the game until it was finished and folded it into the retail game.

Careful handling can be the difference between lots of ā€œ6/10 rushed and Nintendo is only selling you half a gameā€ reviews and ā€œ9/10 definitive version of the best MKā€.

Who knows. Itā€™s an evergreen title thatā€™s going to sell millions more copies. I think DLC makes a lot of sense (much more than MK9) but Nintendo is difficult to predict.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Ralizah

@antster1983 You usually hear status reports on games (like, the Hollow Knight devs have confirmed the Switch version for early 2018), which makes the silence from the Pocket Rumble devs so weird. Eh, whatever. If it comes, it comes. If not... oh well.

@gcunit They're too sensitive. Too many times I try to block and end up punching or throwing instead.

Not to mention the fact that I feel uneasy with the way you actually move the character around.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic