Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,041 to 22,060 of 22,855

YummyHappyPills

@Octane I was in a better place when I was at university! Problem with THAT is a ROOM cost ยฃ485 a MONTH!

It gets better though. I could go to one of those brick and mortar stores, if today I didn't get informed not to walk much and that I am expected to have the first of two sessions of foot surgery "In the next few months".

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

DarkRula

Fact of the matter is though, Amazon are complete idiots with box sizes. I had ordered a Micro SD card from them. A tiny thing, really. It arrived in a box that would probably have fit the Switch.
Yeah.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

antster1983

Uurnog Uurnlimited coming on Tuesday.

Edited on by antster1983

antster1983

Switch Friend Code: SW-7169-0993-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: antster1983 | Twitter:

zitpig

Farmboy74 wrote:

@YummyHappyPills, have you tried thegame collection.net? The prices are not to bad and I have yet to have a bad experience with them

I second and third this. I've always had pre-order games early with them and at a lower price than most other retailers. I've used them for a couple of years. 5*

zitpig

NaviAndMii

gcunit wrote:

That was post of the day, Anti-Matter.

This.

Bravo! Bravo!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

๐ŸŽฎ SNES ๐ŸŽฎ N64 ๐ŸŽฎ GB ๐ŸŽฎ GG ๐ŸŽฎ PC ๐ŸŽฎ PS2 ๐ŸŽฎ GC ๐ŸŽฎ PSP ๐ŸŽฎ Wii ๐ŸŽฎ X360 ๐ŸŽฎ PS4 ๐ŸŽฎ MDC ๐ŸŽฎ Switch ๐ŸŽฎ

Currently Playing (Online):

PS4: GT Sport (DR: D, SR: S)

Switch: Mario Kart 8 DX (R: 8500, B: 2000) | Splatoon 2 (Lvl: 46, RM: A-, SZ: B+, TC: A)

Switch Nickname: TomCatโ˜…

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii

rallydefault

@JaxonH
I'm not going to take too much of my life to compose a list like yours, but almost every single one of those games I could go down and say: sequel, reboot, copy, etc.

Only original games on that list: Snipperclips and ARMS

That's literally it. And that's exactly what I'm saying. There's no more original, creative IP coming out. Even @Octane said what's going to be great about next year: Shadow of the Colossus. I mean... that's just a rehash. Seriously? Is that how low we've come as gamers? Where the stuff we're salivating over is just the next sequel or spruce-up of an already existing game? It's the perfect example of how Shadow of the Colossus, back in 2005 over 10 years ago, was an original and awesome game.

We just don't see stuff like that anymore.

And like, yea - DOOM is good and Skyrim is good, but bleh - they're all the same. We've all played DOOM and games almost exactly like it a million times. Same with Skyrim. But how often have you played a game like Viva Pinata when that came out? Mirror's Edge? World of Warcraft?

That's the difference I see in the gaming industry between now and 10 years ago. None of these publishers want to take chances anymore. Mark my words: creativity will continue to suffer, younger gamers will grow up thinking these games we're getting now are "excellent," and the medium as a whole will largely depend on indies for true innovation and the future of originality.

That's really all I have to say. I respect your opinion and I'm glad you like all of those games you listed, but that list is pretty empty to me. Good efforts at filling templates, sure, but pretty empty at heart.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

KirbyTheVampire

@rallydefault I agree that creativity has gone downhill. I've been thinking about this lately myself. In past generations, NOTHING had been done before. Basically every game was innovative in some way. And now that we've established genres and stuff, creativity has taken a backseat to doing something new with pre-existing genres. That isn't inherently a bad thing, but it is very rare to get a game that really changes things up nowadays.

It's pretty sad when Breath of the Wild, a generic open world game in so many ways, is being held up on a pedestal for really shaking up the open world genre. It's a great game, of course, but I don't see what's so revolutionary about it as an open world game. As a Zelda game, sure, it's really different. But I just don't understand the people who were blown away by how "different" it is from other open world games they've played.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Snaplocket

@KirbyTheVampire You mean aside from having a level of polish, smoothness, and incredibly tight gameplay and physics that's more or less unheard of in an open-world game? Seriously, I just played Skyrim and that and BOTW are night and day in terms of polish and tightness. BOTW feels incredibly silky smooth while Skyrim (and any other open-world game for that matter) ..... doesn't.

Snaplocket

-Green-

There's only so far you can go into something before you start scraping the bottom of the barrel. Especially in an industry like gaming which tends to have huge requirements and limitations, which in turn hampers huge creativity.

Personally I'm generally enjoying the way things are going so far. For my taste, I'm fine with not everything being separate completely unique concepts. As long as the matter itself is interesting enough and enjoyable I'm good.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

-Green-

The design structure used in BotW's overworld for discovery is actually really amazing tbh. I wonder if someone else has made use of a similar strategy in designing an Open World game before.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

JaxonH

@rallydefault
Labels. I never let a label damper my excitement for a game.

I don't care if a game has been out for years, ported, sequel... those are some of my favorite games of all time.

Being "new" or "creative" means little to me. Some of the worst games I've ever played have been such. It means nothing. Either a game is good or a game is bad. And if it's a good game, either I've played it or I haven't. And even if I had, if it adds a new way to play (like portability, or virtual reality) I may want it again. And If I haven't played it that just makes it even more exciting.

Judging games based on labels goes against logic to me. What do I care if it's a sequel if it's an amazing game and I love it? Doesn't suddenly make the game unenjoyable.

If I only want a constant influx of "new" and "creative" I'll visit an art show. When it comes to games, I just want something fun. It may be new (ARMS) it may not be (Skyrim Switch) but either way they're incredible games and I love incredible games. If I play too much of certain type of game and tire of it, I'll find something different to play.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

RR529

I just finished playing the Dragon Quest Heroes I&II demo, and while I enjoyed it, I wonder what it's going to be like playing action heavy games in portable mode.

I felt like I couldn't get a real good grip on the console since it was so long, and can't possibly see how games that utilize the L&ZL and R&ZR frequently play (they're so close together that I can't place my index finger on the L&R button & my middle finger on the ZL&ZR buttons like I can on other controllers). Would the ergonomics feel better if I put the Joy-Con in the grip & played tabletop?

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

JaxonH

@RR529
Don't think you're meant to put a separate finger on L and ZL or R and ZR. Just one finger which alternates between the two as needed.

Which is also likely why you couldn't properly grip the console. It grips fine when you only use your pointer finger for the shoulder buttons.

Btw I loved that demo but my goodness was the framerate abysmal.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

RR529

@JaxonH, yeah, that's what I figured (about finger placement), it's just going to take some getting used to since it's not what I'm used to.

About the demo, I actually didn't notice many frame drops. It certainly dropped here and there for brief periods, but mostly ran smooth for me. I'll probably run through it a few more times over the weekend so I'll see how it holds up next time.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

JaxonH

@RR529

Maybe they patched it since I played it (which was at launch). When I played it was like a slideshow. I normally don't care about framerate. Like DOOM, I think it plays fantastic despite some complaints about framerate from others. But DQ Heroes demo... dear goodness.

They had to have patched it. Cause if it was in the same state you definitely would have noticed. It was borderline unplayable.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

skywake

JaxonH wrote:

Being "new" or "creative" means little to me. Some of the worst games I've ever played have been such. It means nothing. Either a game is good or a game is bad. And if it's a good game, either I've played it or I haven't. And even if I had, if it adds a new way to play (like portability, or virtual reality) I may want it again. And If I haven't played it that just makes it even more exciting.

I agree. Sure there's good reason to be a bit tired of some companies making the same game every year with one or two tweaks. But just because that is a legitimate complaint doesn't mean that every game has to re-invent the wheel.

Pretty much all of my favourite albums, movies, games tv shows borrow heavily from things that have come before. Just about everything you see or hear does. But that doesn't make them any less enjoyable. I am a fan of The Avalanches so I would say that.... but I think anyone who has played through the story in Odyssey would also agree

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Ralizah

@KirbyTheVampire

BotW's innovations to the open world genre:

• Changing the focus of the player from icons on a map to the landscape itself. There's a lot of stuff to find in BotW, but you have to actually go out, pay attention to your environment, and find the stuff yourself. You can set markers and icons on your map, of course, but these are set up by YOU when YOU find something interesting you want to investigate.
    ~
  • The focus on creating an incredibly interactive open world that you have to survive in and manipulate to thrive. Whether you're stripping naked and fleeing from thunderstorms, camping out below a mountain until the rain gives up, creating fires to give yourself a boost on the paraglider, chopping wood to create firewood, making meals out of the animals you've hunted and plants you've scavenged, or manipulating the in-game physics engine to gain the upper hand in a tough battle, you're constantly being forced to grapple with the world itself in your adventures. You're as fully embodied in an environment as I've ever seen a character outside of games that are explicitly about surviving in an environment.
    ~
  • The focus on ease of movement and the universal ability to explore wherever you like. One awe-inspiring thing about this game is how fully you can explore its beautiful world. No invisible walls. No restrictive game mechanics that don't allow you to go wherever you like. No warnings about "leaving the game area." The open world genre is full of games that are very restrictive about what you can do and where you have the ability to go. They'll give you interesting things to look at in the distance, but when you actually let your curiosity get the better of you and try to find out what the deal with them is, the game will restrict you. This is a problem for me, as I feel like the appeal of open worlds is being able to fully explore them and let my curiosity and sense of wonder about the world dictate my path within it.
    ~
  • The way the game aligns player action with narrative and game design. Most open world games, even though they offer a multitude of side-quests and activities to engage in, still lead you through a series of missions you have to engage in to complete the game. This can often lead to a profound sense of ludonarrative dissonance. Gee, Fallout 4 tells me, your character is sure is broken up about his dead wife and is obsessed with finding his missing child. Why, then, is he spending his days messing around in the wasteland, engaging in odd jobs and looting abandoned buildings filled with raiders when he should be following up on leads he learned about twenty hours ago? Well, that's because, despite what the game likes to tell me, I actually want to mess around the wasteland, but this puts me directly in conflict with the plotline. This applies to almost every open world game I've played: the game is telling me that my character is supposedly fixated on this or that thing, but I'm bumming around the streets playing mini-games, going to strip clubs, whatever. Breath of the Wild fixes this problem: it has "main quest"y locations to visit and memories to relive, of course, but your one and only goal in the game is to kill Ganon. That's it. Everything else I do in the game after the tutorial area is purely optional, and it works on a narrative level, because almost everything you do in this game strengthens your character in some way. There is little to no dissonance involved because the game is all about YOUR adventure as you train to defeat Ganon, what you choose to do, and, no matter how you tackle it, it's a valid way of playing the game. This means that unlike other open world games, which are really linear narratives that allow me to [removed] around when I've gotten bored of doing what I'm supposed to do to move the game along, my experience with BotW is supremely personal and individual in nature.

Those are some of the big aspects of BotW that I consider to be utterly transformative of the genre. I could also talk about its subtle, wonderful sound design, the lovely art direction, the fun combat, and how this all comes together to create an unforgettable experience that reminds me of why I'm a gamer in the first place.

Edited on by Octane

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic