Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,041 to 22,060 of 69,993

EvilLucario

The existence of MK8D should hopefully make a MK9 even better with more worthwhile additions, because I don't think simply making a Mario Kart with just new characters and stages cuts it as a new mainline Mario Kart.

I do think Mission Mode from MKDS is a great idea though, and that could perhaps add some single-player content that Mario Kart could really do with.

That said though... in terms of Mario Kart, it really seems like it's just more fitting to release that content as DLC for MK8D, though that would take away from the "Deluxe" moniker I guess.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

OorWullie

Kimyonaakuma wrote:

I'm not sure about MK9, would it come to the Switch? It would certainly sell well but I don't know how they would make it different from it's predecessors. Each game has added a new mechanic or feature which has set it apart from the others but what could they add

If you had asked the same question before MK8 was revealed I doubt anyone would have said "anti-gravity", or before MK7 "gliding and underwater sections". Perhaps gliding would have come up but I doubt anyone would have thought of racing underwater. I'm sure Nintendo will think of something to differentiate it from previous entries. I do think they will go all out in adding more characters from other series but it'll still be called Mario Kart as the brands too valuable to risk changing it. Will that be enough to separate it from the rest though? I think there has to be something more to it than that.

I think they will take the Windows approach and skip MK9 and go straight to MK10.9 is an unlucky number in Japan, it's pronounced as 'Ku' which sounds the same as their word for 'agony, suffering, torture'. The fact we've had MK8D kind of gives them an excuse to anyway. Plus Mario Kart 10 just sounds better.

Will it be on Switch though? I don't think so unless it releases Xmas 2018 or early 2019 which is highly doubtful. I just can't see them releasing a new Kart into the console's 3rd year but who knows.If the Switch Pro comes to be and it looks like the Switch is in for a long healthy life, it's certainly possible.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

OorWullie

@Grumblevolcano I'd say Odyssey DLC is inevitable. I think they will take the Super Luigi approach with it and make it extra challenging. They could re-use the same worlds but instead of just collecting more moons, have it be more level based like Galaxy 2.

Odyssey's world's with Galaxy 2's structure and Super Luigi's extra challenge?That would be incredible.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

Kimyonaakuma

@OorWullie I'll agree that I didn't see anti-gravity before MK8, but gliding and underwater sections always seemed likely to me. Maybe it was just because I used to play Diddy Kong Racing DS when I was younger
Mario Kart 10 would sound good actually, or does X sound better? MK8D and that VR game in Japan = 1 main installment? Probably not...

@Grumblevolcano I thought Odyssey was going to get DLC for a while now, but a lot of it could be saved for a sequel like the Galaxy games. There are a few traditional Mario world themes left to add as kingdoms but DLC always opens the door for crossover content.

Isle Delfino has shown up in the background of Odyssey's map so that could work as a large update or more likely DLC summer 2018. Maybe it could release just after E3 to hype people up for the GameCube VC, which would include Sunshine? There could be a branch on the world map that has a large side story with Bowser Junior trying to get married himself!
There might be a remake each of the areas that let us see how the island has changed. They could also change the moons back to shines and adjust areas to suit Cappy. Maybe a Blooper in Ricco Harbour or a Boo in Sirena beach? I'll stop myself before I get any further into "The terrible and very unrealistic speculation zone", my mind tends to make a lot of ideas

Kimyonaakuma

Grumblevolcano

@Kimyonaakuma I too was thinking for awhile about Mario Odyssey DLC but no info made me start to doubt it until the general DLC comments made recently. Now I'm thinking they're just saving the announcements for early 2018 to give other games a chance. Like Fire Emblem Warriors, DOOM, Skyrim, Xenoblade 2, various indie games, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

OorWullie

@Kimyonaakuma I used to play Diddy Kong Racing too but on the 64, loved that game. Its water sections were on the surface though. Surface water racing seemed like an inevitable addition to future Mario Kart's but underwater? I'm not sure there has ever been an underwater racing game. That said, it didn't really add anything to the racing anyway,

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

Grumblevolcano

@OorWullie Any 2D Sonic game that has had co-op though that may be cheating.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Kimyonaakuma

@OorWullie Diddy Kong Racing was awesome! When I was younger I always wanted Mario Kart to have the water courses. I think it was Koopa Cape on MKWii that put the whole underwater idea in my head.

I like the water sections but I usually avoid them as they can be quite slow, but courses like Dolphin Shoals and one of the Wuhu Island loops used the mechanic especially well. I've also just had a weird obsession with water in games so that could also be a reason for me liking them

I can't think of any underwater racing games but I'm not sure how well it would work...

Kimyonaakuma

Kimyonaakuma

@Grumblevolcano They've had a crazy release schedule this year, they need to leave some breathing space. A lot of people will have bought a Switch during the holiday season (like me!), so they have time to wait while we catch up on games like Odyssey and Splatoon 2.

I'm expecting Yoshi and/or Kirby to release Q1/Q2 2018, and combined with Bayonetta 1+2 they'll be almost set for half the year. Lots of 3rd party games/ports will probably take up the first half of 2018 as they were late to the party. A January direct will add lots of new games to the lineup too, but I find them hard to predict because I'm not sure if the Devs have had enough time. Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem always seem like big sellers for the first half of the year so maybe they could release to attract the 3DS crowd.

E3 will cover most if not all that will be coming in the second half of the year, but that would leave space for Odyssey DLC.

Kimyonaakuma

Kimyonaakuma

I'd like to point out that I'm trying really hard to cut down the amount that I write but I seem to be fighting a losing battle

Try and salvage what you can from my paragraphs of doom!

Kimyonaakuma

JaxonH

We need Sonic Racing Transformed on Switch. That game was incredible.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@JaxonH We need a sequel to Sonic Racing Transformed, period. It's the first game to give Mario Kart a legitimate challenge since... probably Crash Tag Team and Diddy Kong Racing.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 A sequel with more remasters/releases of old SEGA games appearing the same year. The extra wonderful thing about Sonic Racing Transformed was that you could experience more of the games the playable characters came from. Sonic Adventure 2, Jet Set Radio, Nights and I think a few others got HD remasters for PS3/360/PC in 2012.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Anti-Matter

One thing, SEGA hasn't localized Puyo Puyo Chronicles 3DS for English version !
It's already 1 year !

Anti-Matter

Haruki_NLI

@Grumblevolcano Space Channel 5, OutRun, Samba De Amigo, NiGHTS, Jet Set Radio, Sonic the Hedgehog (Numerous titles), Ristar, Golden Axe etc.

Thing is, one thing stops Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed getting ported. Sure Wii U had Miis, Xbox had...Avatars, PS3 had...err....PC had Yogscast and Team Fortress.

But the all had Wreck-It Ralph and Danica Patrick. So let's see if it's worth hopping on the negotiation table for a game that otherwise would come out missing content. Oh, and Hotwheels too.

Oh, and AGES, who turned into a F-14 Tomcat, which they had to license too.

Lots of licenses in that game.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

OorWullie

@link3710 Wacky Races on the Dreamcast was a superb kart racer. Not many people seemed to have played it though as I never see it brought up in discussions.

Yep a new Sonic Racing would be superb. I didn't buy my Wii U until Xmas 2014,by that time it was difficult to find anyone playing online. The few online races I did have though were pretty bad. There was a lot of lag. It was only 30 FPS too which for a racing game isn't ideal. The single player career mode though was brilliant, loved it. It had a lot of variety and was challenging, without feeling like it had rubber banding. I've long wished for Mario Kart to improve its single player mode. MK8's bored me to tears,I only seen it through to unlock everything. I haven't even attempted that with MK8D, too much of a chore.

Talking of racing games, I completely missed this one being announced for Switch back in October. Monster Energy Motocross. It's developed by Milestone games and will be published by Square. That's the same developer that made MXGP3 which didn't turn out too great on Switch. Still, that was a late port, hopefully now that they've had some time with the Switch and it releasing alongside the other consoles versions it should hopefully turn out better. They've made some good racing games in the past. This one seems to be more of an arcade Motocross game too rather than simulation

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/square-enix-announces-monst...

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

KAI_MIDORIKAWA

Meh, my favorite Diddy Kong racing game isn't Diddy Kong Racing, but rather the ROM I have of the 2003 build of Diddy Kong Pilot.

Edited on by KAI_MIDORIKAWA

KAI_MIDORIKAWA

Anti-Matter wrote:

One thing, SEGA hasn't localized Puyo Puyo Chronicles 3DS for English version !
It's already 1 year !

I don't have that game, but I'm an addict of the Japanese Puyo Puyo Quest on my phone.

gcunit

Whenever MK9 does come, it should have a 'Rocket League' mode - Rocket League, but with MK roster, irresistible character animations, and items. Lots of items.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Kimyonaakuma

gcunit wrote:

Whenever MK9 does come, it should have a 'Rocket League' mode - Rocket League, but with MK roster, irresistible character animations, and items. Lots of items.

• I don't how they would make this work but it's a combination that I want to happen...somehow.

I was surprised that they didn't add a lot of gliding/water/anti-gravity elements to the new battle stages. A battle stage that was a small planet or a room that filled with water could have been interesting.

Kimyonaakuma

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic