Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,021 to 22,040 of 69,991

link3710

@YummyHappyPills Portability is number one, in it's' twilight years, I exclusively used the Wii U in gamepad only mode, and loved my 3DS. As it stands, it's the only portable still receiving real support on the market, so easy choice there.

Secondly would be the library. There were a number of Nintendo games I wanted to play on it, which helped, and indies were good to.

Thirdly originally, though what's made it my primary console now, is finding that games I couldn't bring myself to invest the time into on PC (L.A. Noire stands out on that list) are now the kind of games I can play after laying down in bed each night. It just suits my life so well, I can't imagine not having one anymore.

link3710

JohnBlackstar

@yummyhappypills

Purchased it to play Nintendo titles. I actually still play my Wii U the most out of any of my systems because I have a big backlog of games and I love Nintendo franchises.

JohnBlackstar

Anti-Matter

YummyHappyPills wrote:

So general question, why do you own a Switch?

Nintendo games?

Portability?

It fits into your life so why not?

Some other reason?

Im very curious as to the why people are buying it.

Okay, my answers are :
1. Because i LOVE Portability from Nintendo Switch. It's Perfect, even i can play my Switch games on my bed while relax on the bed.

2. Because i TRUST with Nintendo Brand image that still maintain Kid Friendly and Family gaming. Also, whichever Nintendo games, there are a lot of interesting titles to choose and mostly Safe for Watch.

3. Nintendo is INNOVATIVE. Almost every single their products are Original and Interesting. Also, Nintendo still care with customers by some Nostalgic products in the future releases.

Well, i also care with some Sony games such as PS1, PS2 (mostly) & PS4. But i ONLY play Appropriate games for any machines. For PS1 & PS2, my games are mostly Tons of Dance Dance Revolution games, KONAMI Rhythm games, K-1 World GP, Bomberman, Street Fighter, Monster Rancher 4, etc. For PS4, my games are 4 Retail Indie games (Earthlock, Overcooked, Portal Knights, Yonder the Cloud Catcher Chronicles), 4 Square Enix games (World of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD, FF X/X-2 HD, FF XII The Zodiac Age) & The Sims 4.

Anti-Matter

Xyphon22

I've heard nothing but complaints about it, but now that I've gotten to use it, I really like the Switch's eShop. Sure, it could use some music, but the only sections I ever look at on Wii U or 3DS are the New Releases, Demos, and Games on Sale, and Switch eShop has all of those. All of the other sections just seem like filler and aren't really necessary. It's simple and easy and quick to get to what I need to see. I think it's great.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

link3710

@Xyphon22 To be fair, most of those complaints were before Games on Sale and Demos were added.

link3710

NaviAndMii

@YummyHappyPills I got a Switch because I was missing Nintendo! I was still playing my Wii long in to the WiiU's lifecycle - but, by the time my playtime on the Wii was beginning to dwindle, there were rumours abound about 'NX', so I thought I'd just hold out for that instead! ..but man was I missing Nintendo by that point!

That's the main reason I bought it 'day 1' (first time I've ever done that with a console in my life) ..I hadn't played a fresh new Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart - ANYTHING Nintendo - in YEARS...and I couldn't wait any longer!

I'd love to say that it was for the portability/hybrid factor - but I must admit that that element rather caught me by surprise! I played almost exclusively in 'TV mode' when I first got the Switch - I was just loving having a new Nintendo 'home console' again! I was pleased that it looked pretty stylish and had these extra features - but it was all about the games (well, Zelda) to begin with!

It was only over time that I began to really fall in love with the flexibility of the system! It started when my girlfriend wanted to watch something on TV - so I slid the Switch out of the Dock and seamlessly continued playing the game (handheld) on the couch...and it - just - worked! ...next day, same again - it just worked! ..then I took it on the bus - perfect! ..quick 10mins over coffee then suspend the software? - no problem! (..and so on!)

I was in it for the games - but I began to really appreciate the system itself far more than I had ever imagined! I'd return to my PS4 or PC and it'd just be static - just not fitting around my life in quite the same way - not as flexible - dare I say it, just not as good...the experience has been surpassed - I have a better way to play games now!

The Switch dominates my gaming life because it just fits in to my life so much better! ..not only do I have the games I was craving - but I've also had my mind opened to a whole new (and better) way of enjoying them!

So, yeah, that's my story...

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

One of my big hopes for Switch in 2018 is something which would make the UI much less boring, the return of Nintendo Badge Arcade and theme shop.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano Themes are a must. And, considering we already have two selectable themes, I'd be surprised if more weren't added later on.

I've spent a ridiculous amount of money on themes for my 3DS. I think I'm done, though: the Zelda 30th anniversary theme is wonderful, and I don't see myself changing it again.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah I also spent a lot on themes (my favourite one was the Hyrule Warriors one) but I reached a point early this year where the themes were slowing down the OS too much so I returned to a basic blue one.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano I never experienced any slowdown...

Maybe because I'd transitioned to a New 3DS?

I wasn't aware the themes made the vanilla 3DS laggier.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Peek-a-boo
Go for it man! People love the Switch. And it complements PS4 well. Even if you just use it some of the time you're going to get more than your moneys worth. Too many good games on the system.

@EvilLucario
Right. And, as long as the game is great, I'm all for it. The Zelda DLC was excellent, and as much as I'm loving Xenoblade 2 (one of the best video games I've ever played, top 10 for sure) I can't wait to see what it brings as well. Splatoon 2 and ARMS got like 50% more content for free... which is pretty awesome.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah I got a New 3DS XL at launch, maybe it was to do with microSD card speeds. I admit I didn't really pay attention to that kind of stuff until Switch.

Grumblevolcano

TuVictus

When the 3DS is put to rest for good, I would suggest seeing if custom themes are an option for those who wanna try them out

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

gcunit

I'm not expecting any more MK8D dlc. Nintendo have been trotting out this line about leveraging dlc for a couple of years now, and when they started doing so, we all rubbed our hands saying "Ooh, goodie, more MK8 dlc" and it never came, even after that 'Good things come to those who wait' tweet.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Kimyonaakuma

I'm not expecting any DLC for MK8D either, it was just a good way of filling out the release schedule. It fixed the main issue that people had with the original and had all of the old content for those that skipped the Wii U.

But with that said I'm not sure about MK9, would it come to the Switch? It would certainly sell well but I don't know how they would make it different from it's predecessors. Each game has added a new mechanic or feature which has set it apart from the others but what could they add?

Nintendo will want to keep up what it has been doing by reinventing their franchises but how can they change a kart racer? All I could think of is going all the way with the "Nintendo Kart" idea that they've been playing around with in MK8/D, but that could divide the classic fans...

Kimyonaakuma

Grumblevolcano

@gcunit The tweet was teasing at more content though, it just ended up on Switch instead of Wii U.

Grumblevolcano

StuTwo

@gcunit I think there were some good reasons for not releasing additional DLC for MK8 on the Wii U.

1. It allowed Nintendo time to assess the statistics (sales & usage) before committing to developing new content.

2. Wii U engagement was probably falling. Would a second wave of DLC have been as successful when fewer people were still playing the base game?

3. However many copies it sold the MK DLC was certainly a successful means of promoting the base game. But Wii U sales had died and MK8 had just about the highest non-pack-in attach rate ever. Who else would have bought MK8?

Had the Wii U install base grown significantly after the DLC then a second round to remind new console owners that MK8 existed might have made more sense.

4. They knew by the time of the DLC launch that they were going to be doing a port and would have to roll in the existing DLC. So they’d effectively have ended up giving it away for free.

None of those reasons should apply to Switch and I can see more DLC for MK - it makes perfect sense to me that they’d plan for it. But then Nintendo is very hard to predict so who knows...

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Grumblevolcano

I also think Mario Odyssey will get DLC next year, maybe such that you can get 999 moons with only buying 1 moon from each shop.

Grumblevolcano

darkfenrir

@YummyHappyPills No need to hook up to TV because don't own one + Nintendo game + I really want to try home console life without having TV... hueh

darkfenrir

FragRed

@StuTwo Ever since day one I've been a firm believer that what you get in the package for MK8 Deluxe is it, albeit some minor tweaking in patches. Nintendo made the port for Switch as a means to both fill out the library early on while giving people a reason to adopt the system early on with another massive franchise.

Whether or not a new entry is currently being made, it's Nintendo so whom knows what the team will work on next. But considering how quick we heard about DLC for other Nintendo games on the Switch, and the fact it's been over six months since MK8 Deluxe launched and still nothing has been announced, it should tell you Nintendo's stance on the game. It's done it's job.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic