Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 20,381 to 20,400 of 69,981

KryptoniteKrunch

A new Rogue Squadron game would be awesome. I'm not much of a Star Wars anymore, but I loved the first three RS titles so much.

There's two things that would put me off though..

1) EA owning the SW license.
2) The game being based around Disney's new SW universe with terrible characters like Rey and Darth Whatshisface.

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

JaxonH

@KirbyTheVampire
Well, the game is mostly shooting and killing demons, but there's also tons of secrets like Wolfenstein. Secret areas, collectibles, occasionally needing to find a badge card to access a door, stuff like that. But the meat of the game is the shooting, and while it may sound like it would get boring I have to say it really doesn't.

It's like someone else put it- some primal instinct kicks in when you play this game and you just react. It appeals to some inner primal nature where you fight for survival and it kicks your adrenaline in so hard that it's a constant rush from start to finish. I don't really know how else to put it, but the game is so smooth and it's just so much fun shooting demons, especially the mechanic where you stun them and they glow blue and you can run up to them and click the analog (or flick the joycon) to do a glory kill.

There is no safe retreat, there is no health regeneration. You pick up armor pieces around the levels and arena like areas, and you pick up ammo that you'll find laying on the ground as well. Health comes from performing glory kills and it always drops health.

And unlike most other FPS this is not a linear corridor shooter. The levels are very open and you will do a little backtracking- I hate to draw a comparison to Metroid Prime because the games are significantly different, but there is a comparison to be made I think. And I'm not sure if I can put my finger on exactly what it is, but it's there.

When you mix it all together- your open levels and the constant rush of adrenaline from that primal instinct and fight or flight reactionary gameplay, strategizing glory kills to gain health and picking up armor around the levels as you're constantly moving, finding secret passage ways and collectibles (like this little DOOM Guy POP figure thing, was so awesome), trying to find badge cards to get in through certain doors or eliminating all threats in an area before a door will unlock, smoothly climbing up ledges, the double jump... when you mix it all together with absolutely impeccable gameplay that is so smooth and fluid with some of the best controls I've ever experienced in an FPS game... The answer is no, it isn't boring- it's the farthest thing from boring, in fact.

And that's making no mention of the arcade mode, or multiplayer. Even just playing team deathmatch with bots is so much fun I wanted to call into work this morning. I'm not a big FPS guy but, I love this game... so much. It really takes me back to the days of the N64, when we used to actually get games like this. It takes me back to the days of playing Goldeneye.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

KirbyTheVampire

JaxonH wrote:

@KirbyTheVampire
Well, the game is mostly shooting and killing demons, but there's also tons of secrets like Wolfenstein. Secret areas, collectibles, occasionally needing to find a badge card to access a door, stuff like that. But the meat of the game is the shooting, and while it may sound like it would get boring I have to say it really doesn't.

It's like someone else put it- some primal instinct kicks in when you play this game and you just react. It appeals to some inner primal nature where you fight for survival and it kicks your adrenaline in so hard that it's a constant rush from start to finish. I don't really know how else to put it, but the game is so smooth and it's just so much fun shooting demons, especially the mechanic where you stun them and they glow blue and you can run up to them and click the analog (or flick the joycon) to do a glory kill.

There is no safe retreat, there is no health regeneration. You pick up armor pieces around the levels and arena like areas, and you pick up ammo that you'll find laying on the ground as well. Health comes from performing glory kills and it always drops health.

And unlike most other FPS this is not a linear corridor shooter. The levels are very open and you will do a little backtracking- I hate to draw a comparison to Metroid Prime because the games are significantly different, but there is a comparison to be made I think. And I'm not sure if I can put my finger on exactly what it is, but it's there.

When you mix it all together- your open levels and the constant rush of adrenaline from that primal instinct and fight or flight reactionary gameplay, strategizing glory kills to gain health and picking up armor around the levels as you're constantly moving, finding secret passage ways and collectibles (like this little DOOM Guy POP figure thing, was so awesome), trying to find badge cards to get in through certain doors or eliminating all threats in an area before a door will unlock, smoothly climbing up ledges, the double jump... when you mix it all together with absolutely impeccable gameplay that is so smooth and fluid with some of the best controls I've ever experienced in an FPS game... The answer is no, it isn't boring- it's the farthest thing from boring, in fact.

And that's making no mention of the arcade mode, or multiplayer. Even just playing team deathmatch with bots is so much fun I wanted to call into work this morning. I'm not a big FPS guy but, I love this game... so much. It really takes me back to the days of the N64, when we used to actually get games like this. It takes me back to the days of playing Goldeneye.

Hmm, that does sound interesting. Might pick it up on the PS4 if it's not full price anymore.

KirbyTheVampire

RR529

Woot! Just ordered a Switch!

It's just the basic console with no game bundled, but I'll probably just play the Octopath demo (and maybe get an inexpensive indie) until I can get Mario or Zelda.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

SKTTR

Couple weeks ago I posted a huge poster with the first 50 German Switch retail games on it. https://i.imgur.com/FvhfN6P.jpg

Now the count is at 70, so I put the 20 new ones together:
https://i.imgur.com/odIovli.jpg

Can't wait to put Resident Evil Revelations and Wolfenstein II in the next batch.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@KirbyTheVampire See that's the thing. I don't know what it's like over there but here in Europe, Doom can be bought new on PS4 and XB1 for not just half price but a quarter of what it costs to buy the Switch retail version(£40). I don't know why anybody would buy the digital Switch version(£50).

I see there's a patch just released for the game and it's causing some confusion. It's 8GB which is supposed to fix some issues like bugs but I think it comes as part of the online multiplayer. I don't think you can get the patch separate from the multiplayer. As I say, it's only come out so let's see. Version 1.1 on day 1. Actually, I'm reading now if you don't update then you can't play it. So that's like a mandatory 8GB update?

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Inertiacreep

MegaTen wrote:

@Inertiacreep I remember getting that one on the PlayStation...finally! A localized (PAL) copy of Final Fantasy VI! Almost eight years later (early 2002)...LOL. It also contained a demo disc of Final Fantasy X.

In retrospect this wasn't even the best possible version in years to come. I guess the Game Boy Advance one was superior (at least in translation).

I never played the gba version, i will someday.. but yea i play the ps version but i can't stand some of the translation. For the most part it's the same as the original, but there are a couple words here and there that aren't the same and it really bothers me! Lol.. nothing beats the SNES on an emulator.

I never played star force 3 but man.. you guys really had some deprived childhoods

Inertiacreep

JaxonH

@KirbyTheVampire
I got it for Xbox One, but the truth is I never played it much because I've got lots of other options to play on home consoles, and already had played Wolfenstein and Titanfall 2. But on Switch it's another story, because I don't have any good FPS handheld games. Not a one. It feels like a much better Switch game than Xbox game for that reason.

Granted if you're going to play on the TV only, then it's not the version to get.

@RR529
Congrats. I think you're gonna love it.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

KirbyTheVampire

@SLIGEACH_EIRE I could see buying it if you're a big portable gamer, but for me it just wouldn't make sense. My Switch basically never leaves the dock, and it'll probably stay that way until I buy really casual games like Animal Crossing. Everything else, I'd rather experience on the TV.

@JaxonH Yeah, I would only really play it on the TV, so I'd rather have the cheaper version that also has a higher resolution and framerate. I could definitely see the Switch version being a good choice for FPS fans especially though, since first person shooters tend to suck on portable consoles like you said.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

JaxonH

@KirbyTheVampire
Was a little teed off DOOM wasn't one of the games enhanced by Xbox One X. They patched Skyrim, they patched Wolfenstein 2, Fallout 4, Dishonored 2 and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, but notably absent is DOOM.

Ah well. I'm probably not gonna play it anyways given I'm playing on Switch, but I had contemplated checking out the Snapmap feature at some point.

Gonna check out that DOOM VFR as well. Shame LA Noire The Case Files is exclusive to Occulus or Vive or some nonsense. And still no word about Fallout 4 on PSVR.

Inertiacreep

@RR529 i basically got my switch just to play the demo too.. but if you are saving up for a game you should really just get Xenoblade Chronicles 2 when it releases December 1st.. that should give you some time to save up and that's going to be the best game yet on the switch IMO. I wouldn't get Zelda before that because both games are huge.

Inertiacreep

KirbyTheVampire

@JaxonH Yeah, that is a bummer. Maybe they just figured it was new enough and looked good enough that they didn't have to bother or something.

KirbyTheVampire

MsJubilee

@JaxonH Doom did get the 4K treatment. Looking at the list right now and it's there. 4K 60FPS

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Resident Evil 4 Remake & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

JaxonH

@MsJubilee
What list?

Cause it was on the list of games supposed to get enhanced, but was then removed, and Bethesda released patches the day the X released and DOOM wasn't one of them

RR529

@Inertiacreep, yeah, as a big fan of Tales & Dragon Quest, Xenoblade 2 looks right up my alley, but man does its combat look intimidating...

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Inertiacreep

@RR529 it will be easy to understand when you're actually playing it and the game shows you how to do all the combos.. the more I've thought about it with all the rare blades and the depth of the combos, this might be one of the best combat systems we've ever played in an rpg.

Inertiacreep

skywake

Inertiacreep wrote:

Snaplocket wrote:

@skywake I wouldn't 25-30 million lifetime sales would be that bad. I mean, the N64 and Sega Genesis sold just over 30 million and bot of those consoles are widely huge successes.

You have to consider there was like 2 billion less people in the world back then.

Not really as much of a factor as you'd think, for global population we're talking about a 10-20% jump in population since the "golden age" of gaming. But the number of consoles sold per year has grown faster than that. Ignoring the drop for this generation thus far and ignoring portables but including the Switch....
Untitled
Note that this is sales/year across the entire console generation by brand. It is not "peak" sales which is what they are now talking about with the Switch. For example Nintendo averaged ~15mill Wii sales/year over the course of the last generation. But they were as high as ~24mill in 2008 and as low as ~5mill in 2012.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic