Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 20,021 to 20,040 of 69,963

Ralizah

It would make sense to launch a smaller and more "child-friendly" version of the Switch alongside Pokemon. Considering all of their big franchises are moving to the Switch, though, what sense would there be in creating another handheld?

"Here's ANOTHER device from us, except it won't run the newest Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Yoshi, etc."

If a new handheld releases, it'll be another version of the Switch. Guaranteed. At least in terms of internal hardware. Perhaps they'll change the name if it's not a hybrid, but it'll still likely play all of the same games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

EvilLucario

Remember when the DS was supposed to coexist with the Game Boy line until the DS just flat-out replaced the Game Boy?

I think making another piece of hardware is suicide in general. Nintendo and Sony with the Vita proved that supporting two devices in the modern day is just unfeasible.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

StuTwo

Ralizah wrote:

It would make sense to launch a smaller and more "child-friendly" version of the Switch alongside Pokemon. Considering all of their big franchises are moving to the Switch, though, what sense would there be in creating another handheld?

"Here's ANOTHER device from us, except it won't run the newest Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Yoshi, etc."

If a new handheld releases, it'll be another version of the Switch. Guaranteed. At least in terms of internal hardware. Perhaps they'll change the name if it's not a hybrid, but it'll still likely play all of the same games.

Absolutely this.

The underlying technology allows them the scope to do this with ease. It's just a marketing decision as to what they want to release and when.

Every console - handheld, home or otherwise from Nintendo in the next 10 years will be running on Switch compatible hardware under the hood.

With one possible exclusion. A GameBoy Classic Mini pitched at a very low price.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

MFD

@StuTwo You're forgetting the N64 and Gamecube mini

MFD

Grumblevolcano

@StuTwo I agree outside of GB Classic Mini being the only exclusion. I think Nintendo will continue the annual Classic Mini releases so something like:
2018 - GB
2019 - N64
2020 - GBA
2021 - GC

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Agriculture

Therad wrote:

Agriculture wrote:

UmniKnight wrote:

@JaxonH Ironic, I could say the same of you. But what you don't know, and probably don't believe, is that I'm playing Devil's Advocate to find legitimacy in the dock. I'm merely exploring the outer corners here.

The dock is hardly expensive though, it's just overpriced. The real price savings would come from not having to have detachable joycons with motion controllers and hd rumble. But they've already painted themselves into a corner by releasing games that make use of all the different configurations of joycons. It would probably be some consumer backlash if you couldn't play all Switch games on all Switches.

Just soldering the joycons on the main board won't do anywhere near the savings they could do by ditch the battery, dock and screen. Aka a stationary console. If they did that, they can also change the internal flash to an hdd to add storage without the cost going up.

Soldering the joycons on the board would destroy one of the biggest features of the switch, local portable multiplayer out of the box.

They can't do that since games like Rayman already have levels that require the console to be used handheld. This is similar to the problem with Playstation TV, where it could only support some of the games, since a lot of them relied on the PS Vita gimmicks like back touch panel, camera and so on.

A handhold only would run every game without problems. Regardless what they decide in the future, they need to find a way to release a cheaper Switch if they want it to have mainstream appeal. Most hardcore Nintendo fans had complaint about the Switch not being fancy enough, that it should have gorilla glass, no bezels, higher overall quality. It might be a hard to accept for some people, but now that the Switch has sold to all hardcore Nintendo fans, it is time to cheapen the console, not make it even more expensive.

Ideally it should come down from 299 usd to 199 usd. For that price it can have mainstream success with all age groups. A handheld only, targeted at younger children, is far more likely than a home-only.

Agriculture

MFD

@Agriculture Just hoping that if they go this path, they'll upgrade the dock too.

MFD

MFD

@DiscoGentleman Yeah, but with it being quite well known what situation the Wii-U was in, even then, who bought the Wii-U part of that? 3DS, I could see, but Wii-U was going down real quick.

MFD

Agriculture

UmniKnight wrote:

@Agriculture Just hoping that if they go this path, they'll upgrade the dock too.

Are you talking about a more well designed dock, or are you talking about the whole "dock with co-gpu" that some people hope for?

DiscoGentleman wrote:

Octane wrote:

The Switch is more portable than anything else though. I really don't see the reason of having two portable systems compete with each other on the market. I think it was just a fail-safe in case the Switch wouldn't sell.

exactly. And saying that the switch is replacing the 3DS would discourage 3DS purchases, which is their main source of revenue right now.
You guys remember when they first called the NX a "third pillar" to coexist alongside the 3DS AND Wii U? Ya.

Yes, all the need to do is wait until the Switch has a reasonable game library, then conveniently stop producing 3DS games.

Edited on by Agriculture

Agriculture

Grumblevolcano

DOOM is now available to preorder on the eshop. 21.3GB at £49.99.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Therad

@Agriculture the problem is the younger kids demographic has been swallowed by cheap Android phones/tablets. Nintendo can't really do anything against this.

Therad

MFD

@Agriculture Either of those 2 would do. When they showed the empty space in the dock, competitively to the price, it had me go "Wait, what? So what are you paying for? What's in the dock can't possibly amount to that price..."

MFD

Haruki_NLI

I like the cable management features of that empty space.

My concern is that an upgraded dock would make too great a gulf in spec between handheld and docked and then we end up with ganes being docked knly...which defeats the point and USP of the system.

Then we get into this debate again and bleh not worth it

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

MFD

@BLP_Software Couldn't you argue the same for the base Xbox Model and the Xbox One X? Even if the Slim is now the base model, there's still a fair gap between em, so far as I'm aware, and yet they both exist.

MFD

Haruki_NLI

@UmniKnight Yeah but those are seperate purchases entirely. If a more powerful Switch dock comes for £150 and creates an even bigger gulf on a device where both modes are in the hands of the consumer instead of 1 or the other the market effectively splits.

For a developer you wouldnt be taking the game you made and buffing it up like on Pro or X: Youd be taking it, paring it down, and then down some more.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Agriculture

Therad wrote:

@Agriculture the problem is the younger kids demographic has been swallowed by cheap Android phones/tablets. Nintendo can't really do anything against this.

That is true. The Switch was marketed to older people, and games like Super Mario Odyssey catered to those who owned N64 back in the day.

However, they could get back som kids from mobile gaming if they play their cards right. Actually look at the market and what the new generation wants to play and at what price. Nintendo has never released a console where the best selling game wasn't published by them. If they play their cards right this might happen, and it would be a good thing.

Agriculture

MFD

@BLP_Software I don't know enough about tech to effectively talk about this, so I won't. That said, that Supplemental Computing Device patent hasn't been requested for nothing, surely.

MFD

Therad

UmniKnight wrote:

@BLP_Software I don't know enough about tech to effectively talk about this, so I won't. That said, that Supplemental Computing Device patent hasn't been requested for nothing, surely.

Companies release loads of patents. Many will not be realized. For example, Nintendo had a patent where they had scroll wheels instead of shoulder buttons.

And on top of that, that patent had an online component where you could get points if you let others use it. The idea was probably to offshore game servers to consumers home. That is what makes the most sense to me.

Therad

NaviAndMii

Agriculture wrote:

It might be a hard to accept for some people, but now that the Switch has sold to all hardcore Nintendo fans, it is time to cheapen the console, not make it even more expensive.

Ideally it should come down from 299 usd to 199 usd. For that price it can have mainstream success with all age groups.

Ideally, yes - but each Switch unit apparently costs $257 to manufacture, so the margins are pretty tight as it is - and with sales showing no immediate signs of slowing down (and Holiday season fast approaching) there's no pressing reason for Nintendo to start selling these things at a loss...Nintendo needs something to fill that budget, 'entry level' price-point on the market - and the 3DS family of consoles can continue to be that option until, at least, there's an adequately-priced successor.

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic