Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 19,301 to 19,320 of 32,446

meleebrawler

@Grumblevolcano I had no trouble finding games on the Wii U version of Pokken, despite it's limited playerbase. At worst I got matched up with the same people a few times.

Fighting games might not have big audiences online, but you only need a few dedicated players to keep the online going. Helps that you mostly only need to find one player at a time.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

electrolite77

@Octane

Game in the UK are doing it for £299.99 with 2 games. Argos have a couple of bundles so there is movement here. May happened elsewhere in Europe too.

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

electrolite77

I didn't know Constructor was getting a physical release. Excellent

Luna_110

I've been enjoying handheld more far more than I though. From when I'm exercising to sharing with the family at nighttime - my parents watch TV while I play BotW.
I like playing in my TV but being able to play everywhere is a game changer.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

gcunit

@Luna_110 It kinda amazes me that people didn't understand this benefit from the outset, but I'm glad you're there now - enjoy

Use the 'ignore' button, it works.

Currently playing: Runner 3; Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood; Kirby Triple Deluxe; ICO; FIFA 18; Owlboy

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

Luna_110

More than not understanding, it's that I underestimated it. The Wii U's range for Off TV play was utter crap so I never used it, but I never though the Switch would fit so well in my life style!

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Pazzo-ZaFool

My docked/portable ratio is probably 10/90 at this point.

What's yours?

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

JaxonH

@Luna_110
Not just the poor range, but every game had a different shortcut for off TV play. So you never knew what buttons to press- tap the touch screen? Click the analogs? Start and minus? Who knows... On top of that, some games didn't offer off TV play, which only made matters worse trying to keep up with which games had it, which games didn't, and the games that had it- which buttons you needed to press.

Then, even when you did get it working, the resolution was sub-HD, the brightness reached a whopping 100 nits (or so it seemed) and you were tethered to an invisible leash that barely spanned 20-25 feet.

People saw it's potential, and it was a cool feature for the time (the lag-free wireless streaming is still impressive to this day), but Switch realizes the full experience Wii U could never offer. And yes, it's so easy to underestimate it. Can't tell you how many times I undock it because I'm playing online in Monster Hunter XX or Splatoon 2 and need to grab some coffee or go to the bathroom and can't pause. Comes to work with me every day. It's really hard for people to appreciate it's practicality without experiencing it for themselves

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Y'S VIII, Octopath Traveller, Shining Resonance Refrain, Captain Toad, Hollow Knight, Wolfenstein 2
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Dragon Age Origins, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Spoony_Tech

@Hieronymus-E Mine is about 40/60 D/P.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

skywake

JaxonH wrote:

Then, even when you did get it working, the resolution was sub-HD, the brightness reached a whopping 100 nits (or so it seemed) and you were tethered to an invisible leash that barely spanned 20-25 feet.

Personally the distance never bothered me much on Wii U because I was happy to play it in the same room. Most of the good seating in a house is around the TV and most of my portable gaming is done at home so it was never an issue.

The thing that always annoyed me about the Wii U was the low resolution and high compression. And the inconsistency in which games were off-TV and which ones weren't. Other than that I use the Switch about the same as how I used the Wii U.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

@skywake
I quit using off tv play because it would lose its signal as soon as I got down the stairs. So it was really only good for being in the same room.

With Switch I've found much more practicality. Running downstairs is now possible, and I love setting it up in table top mode and detaching the controllers in the kitchen when I'm doing something, then when I'm done I snap the controllers back in and go back upstairs.

But taking it with me to work and to my brothers house is where really shines.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Y'S VIII, Octopath Traveller, Shining Resonance Refrain, Captain Toad, Hollow Knight, Wolfenstein 2
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Dragon Age Origins, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

skywake

@JaxonH
I have two distinct memories of when I was super into theorising about what the next Nintendo console should be. Both were during the Wii/DS era. For the "Wii HD" I wanted a fairly low powered console that used cartridges, a "good enough" console but moving forward by finally ditching optical media. Why? Because a machine sitting under my TV should load fast and not make a noise. For the "DS 2" I wanted a larger, higher resolution 16:9 aspect ratio top screen and better visuals. Because why not have games like Twilight Princess and Smash Bros on a portable

When the Wii U and 3DS came out and they answered most of those questions just not all at once. I got my fairly high end (semi) portable system that as a home console was "good enough". But still used optical media. And I also got my higher resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio proper portable console but just not with enough of a jump in resolution to keep me happy for very long. If only Nintendo had released the Vita instead of the 3DS.

The Switch? It's the portable console and the home console I've been wanting Nintendo to release for almost a decade all in one machine. It's a Vita with games and a Wii U without the clunky execution. I don't understand how some people didn't immediately understand the appeal.

Edited on by skywake

GrailUK

OMG! OMG! Zero Gunner 2...dfjiquhfbf8qfhZero Gunner 2..............dqiuhjdw9uwdqnq9dqwdn...can't speak...

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

electrolite77

@skywake

"The Switch? It's the portable console and the home console I've been wanting Nintendo to release for almost a decade all in one machine. It's a Vita with games and a Wii U without the clunky execution"

Very nicely put. I can get why some don't see the appeal i.e. if they don't want a portable (though being a Nintendo gamer that in itself is baffling) but the Switch is such a good idea, executed beautifully, I can't believe how well they've nailed it. I thought their last two Consoles were really poor so it's a shock to me how they've got it so right this time.

skywake

@electrolite77
I think ultimately the Wii U was a good idea for a console with bad timing. If it had come out a bit earlier the novelty of "tablet gaming" and "Nintendo games in HD" would have counted for more. If it had come out a bit later it could have had better tech to make the concept more appealing. With improved wireless or going all in with a fully portable system like the Switch.

Too late to be appealing without the core concept, too early for the concept to be fully formed.

Farmboy74

Caught a Switch advert on channel 5 last night, and as part of the advert it showed Fifa 18 in portable mode.

Farmboy74

StuTwo

skywake wrote:

The Switch? It's the portable console and the home console I've been wanting Nintendo to release for almost a decade all in one machine. It's a Vita with games and a Wii U without the clunky execution. I don't understand how some people didn't immediately understand the appeal.

I think you'll find a lot of nodding heads here.

To be fair there are, as @electrolite77 noted, plenty of people who claim not to care about portability at all. To those people the Switch is an underpowered home console with a few quirks. They are prominent online but a minority in the market at large...

...and many of them who do eventually buy a Switch despite saying "I'll only ever use it docked" will end up using it un-docked on occasion and loving it. Once you have that flexibility and you encounter - even irregularly - circumstances in which it's useful it is revelatory.

What impresses me most about the Switch though is it's ability to be marketed very effectively to a wide range of different groups. We've not seen it yet (because of the price and Nintendo's initial marketing focus) but the Switch is the perfect console for families - even more so than the Wii U (and being a great family console was one of the things that the Wii U really did very well).

Once you start seeing family cars with Switches attached to the back of the drivers seat so the kids can play Mario Kart in the back...

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

MFD

@electrolite77 "Very nicely put. I can get why some don't see the appeal i.e. if they don't want a portable (though being a Nintendo gamer that in itself is baffling) but the Switch is such a good idea, executed beautifully, I can't believe how well they've nailed it." After playing the machine for quite some time now, I've come to take it for what it is, but it's quite hard not to get swept up in the endless handheld praise and love for that particular part.

Then again, silent majority doesn't bother posting on sites like these, and they just use it the way they do, which is to say, probably both with each moment that suits that mode best, so eh.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

SuperJoon

Just a quick question. Are you able to console share between 2 switches?

If I registered my wife's switch as mine, downloaded say Minecraft onto it, she went into her account and played, would I be able to play Minecraft on my account on my Switch?

Edited on by SuperJoon

SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic