Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 18,941 to 18,960 of 32,300

Grumblevolcano

NBA 2K18 Switch size is now showing as 22.9GB, still don't get why it has to be a micro SD rather than internal memory for physical version. Even if 2K only used an 8GB cart for the physical version, there's still plenty of internal memory space.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Azooooz

Whew, I returned from Europe, and I just finished 50+ pages in this forum where I left.

Anyway, this Nintendo Direct was very surprising to me at least. They're plethora of info I found it very appealing, like Kirby Switch game, Flip Wars, Splatoon 2, ARMS, and many. The biggest ones were Bethesda games (DOOM and Wolf2). I liked how deep is XC2's combat mechanic. And boy, I don't need to say how great Super Mario Odyssey is becoming. I won't be a true Switch owner if I don't buy it, Period.

"Knowing your enemy is the key to victory" Snake - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

"Knowing your stomach is the key to end hunger" Azooooz - Nintendo Life

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

IceClimbers

I'm only getting games I want. Problem is there's too many of them just through the remainder of the year.

The interesting thing here is that Super Mario Odyssey is the only 1st party game on Switch I'm interested in for the rest of the year. Everything else is third party/indie. I don't think I've ever really been able to say that with a Nintendo system.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Ryu_Niiyama

Does anyone have flip wars? Is it playable single player?

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ralizah

I never get games that I have no interest in, but I'd be lying if I said I don't buy some releases at full price instead of waiting for sales as a show of support.

Like with DOOM: if I was buying it on another platform (as I almost have several times in the past), I'd wait for as low a price as possible to maximize the amount of value I'd get out of my transaction. But, in the case of the Switch version, I'm fully willing to pay $50 for it. Both as a show of support for them releasing great games on Nintendo's new console and because I'll get a lot more use out of DOOM if I can play it on the tablet.

@Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Well to be honest I detest trading in games (I feel it is a waste of money) but, the local retro shop has deemed me one of their best customers so I can offload something and then be given a few discounts to stack which makes it worth it.

VERY nice. I miss local game stores: all we have around us is Gamestops. :

I'll trade a game in if there's not a huge difference in value between trading versus selling online.

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

However I just am at a point that I don't want a collection anymore. If I'm not going to play it I'd rather send it out to the wild where someone else will. I don't need two copies of the Nonary Games or DQ Builders. I've also stopped buying games that are popular for "gamer cred". At this point if I'm not taken at face value to be a gamer I don't care anymore.

Same. I don't really have the money to seriously collect games, and even if I did, it seems like mindlessly consumerist behavior in the first place. Why keep games caged up that I won't play again for years when someone else could be enjoying them? It's not like I'll have to worry about not being able to find a playable copy of a game if I want to play it again in 5 years.

This is also why I'm weaning myself off of buying extra games I don't necessarily want to play right away in Steam/PSN sales. More mindless consumerism. I could use the money I save on someone or something else instead.

And "gamer cred" is stupid. Neither of have anything to prove to anyone else, and not everyone has to like the same games. Although I realize there's a stronger-than-average tendency toward groupthink and conformity in the broader gaming community that encourages people to buy similar games and form similar opinions on them.

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

I'm impressed with your commitment to no backlog. Honestly I'm going to temporarily exit the market next year just to do that (and to redo my AV setup which is not going to be cheap...plus new taiko and a telescope) but with all this stuff that is packed into this year I know I'm going to be crying bitter tears by march of next year. But hopefully by 2019 I will have cleared out a significant chunk of my backlog. Fingers crossed.

Buying games and then not playing them for years is a massive waste of money. Like, I bought FF Type-0 HD in 2015 at full price. Still have yet to play it! It costs $20 or so these days! And the worst part is, I ended up hating the FFXV demo I primarily bought it for.

Anyway, it might take me five years or so to play all of the games I already own, but at least I can nip this problem in the bud by not developing a backlog of any kind on the Switch.

Such a first world problem to have, though. "I own more luxury goods than I have free time to enjoy them. Poor me!"

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

JaxonH

No, I wouldn't advocate buying games you don't like.

But I would advocate buying good games you'd like that you might have otherwise passed on for various reasons (it's $10 higher, it's less resolution, it's not mouse and keyboard, it's discounted elsewhere, it's this it's that, etc).

If people really want great 3rd party support to continue, gonna have to be a little flexible with not writing off games for any little reason.

And that I do stand behind 100%

Btw Switch Mario Odyssey bundle with exclusive deep red Joycons live at BestBuy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odys...

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Y'S VIII, Octopath Traveller, Shining Resonance Refrain, Captain Toad, Hollow Knight, Wolfenstein 2
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Dragon Age Origins, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Octane

@Ralizah You know that it probably makes no difference to the company if you buy a game for $60 or $30? It's the retailer that gets less. It only makes a difference if the game got an official price drop.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

It really does seem like Nintendo is being very light on the first party front this holiday season for Switch to give 3rd parties a chance to grow. For example, no longer is there the "Nintendo Day" we knew and loved from the 3DS/Wii U era, instead we've got Skyrim.

If 3rd party holiday season Switch games are successful, it was totally worth it.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Octane AAA devs will likely be looking at how their games perform early on, when they get the bulk of their sales. If people are waiting for a game to go on sale, it's going to send the wrong message.

If I want a game and also want to encourage third parties to invest more deeply in the Switch and its userbase, it seems to make sense to spend more than I usually would on a game to get it early on.

Edited on by Ralizah

KirbyTheVampire

I'm personally not a believer in the idea that people should buy games that they wouldn't normally buy just for the sake of supporting a group of developers or giving developers an incentive to release their games on the system. Sure, that might come with the cost of less or no support from that company, and that sucks, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. If there's not an audience for those games on the system, then there's just not an audience, and people who want those games should buy another system that they can play them on. There shouldn't be some moral obligation for other people to shell out money for games that they don't really want just so that a niche audience can get those games on their system of choice.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

JaxonH

I agree @Ralizah We are the ones saying we want AAA games on Switch. So backing up that talk with action feels like the right thing to do. I'm not gonna complain about wanting AAA on Wii U for 5 years and then Switch, only to say "nah, I'll wait for a sale... nah, it's missing one tiny little mode I'll never play but my ego prevents me from buying something "lesser than"... nah, its already cheaper for other platforms so I'll buy there instead.

I want to play LA Noire. I want to play FIFA 18. I want to play Doom and Wolfenstein. I want to play Resident Evil Revelations 2. And while I own that last one on Vita and PS4, I want it on Switch and will buy it on Switch. And will help contribute to future games coming to Switch that I myself will benefit from and enjoy.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Y'S VIII, Octopath Traveller, Shining Resonance Refrain, Captain Toad, Hollow Knight, Wolfenstein 2
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Dragon Age Origins, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Octane

@Ralizah Agreed on the first sentence, but remember that very few people think like that, so it doesn't really make a difference in the end.

And I want third party games on the Switch too. Not because I'm going to buy them, but because that means a bigger library, and more potential Switch buyers, which is healthy for the system in general.

Octane

Wichtel

@Ralizah Buying games for supporting the console might be useful, if the install base is small.
But in general the publishers want to make money. So if you have a console with a sizeable installbase and one of your games doesnt perform, youir reaction wont be: Let's never make another game for this console!
But lets publish another game that people like more.
So on a healthy console i think buying games even though you dont like them might be counter-productive.

Wichtel

Ryu_Niiyama

Devs are going to look at numbers to decide if they want to continue support. I'm middle of the road on the whole thing. I am double dipping on a few games and buying games that I don't buy on the regular(I don't buy FIFA every year but I'm getting 18 to show support...and its portable). I would never advocate buying random games for the heck of it but if you are sorta on the fence and you feel you might enjoy it go for it I'd say. (although this year is so packed with games it's hard to really decide what to buy)

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

MegaTen

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

I'm personally not a believer in the idea that people should buy games that they wouldn't normally buy just for the sake of supporting a group of developers or giving developers an incentive to release their games on the system.

Well, I agree on that. It's not only self-deception, but also a waste of money. Never did that. However, it's good when different kinds of games get a sufficient amount of support. That's up to both developers, and Nintendo itself. The current state of affairs is good, but I predict it will grow even further.

Azooooz

@Wichtel My thoughts exactly. If you know that the game is bad, but you buy it because you want to support the developers to make more games for a particular console, you're encouraging them to make worse games than before.

Good games always sell, no matter who develops them.

"Knowing your enemy is the key to victory" Snake - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

"Knowing your stomach is the key to end hunger" Azooooz - Nintendo Life

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

GrailUK

I don't buy games I don't like just to show support for a developer. I do however have a wide and varied taste in electronic entertainment of all genres (except for mobas as I don't actually know what a moba is or idd means lol)...so the devs usually win!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Ralizah

@KirbyTheVampire Definitely agree on all points. People should only buy games that interest them. With that said, I tend to agree with @JaxonH that we need to be the change we want to see in the world. For me, that means nabbing retail third party games I'm interested in at or close to release as opposed to waiting a year or so for them to go on sale as a show of support. It's not an altruistic thing for me, as I'd rather play those games on a hybrid than be tethered to a TV or monitor when I play them.

Also means I won't be getting NBA2K, WWE2K, etc. at all as I don't like sports and don't care if more of those sorts of games come to the system. I do hope they perform well, of course, as that'll make for a healthier ecosystem on the Switch, but I'll leave support of those up to people who would actually enjoy them.

DarthNocturnal

I'm not really interested in Doom, but seeing it there still surprised me, and I consider it a plus for the Switch. Same with Wolfenstein. I definitely want Skyrim though, and I'd likely get Fallout 4 if it happened, even after sinking a few hundred hours across both games on other systems.

On that note, did anyone else briefly think it was referring to the original Doom and Wolfenstein when it appeared on the list?

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic