Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 18,921 to 18,940 of 31,464

GrailUK

Highlights for me were
1)Xenoblade2 looking lovely.
2)Doom announcement.
3)Tate mode arcade Punchout. (Seriously...WHAAAAT???)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Tsurii

My highlights are making me sad tbh... How am I gonna play LA Noire and Skyrim both in November? Why is Bethesda making me throw so much money at them for being so awesome right now? Why do I just know that Koei Tecomo will suck me dry with a season pass for FE Warriors with all the characters I want in?

And why do I want that ugly fu...flipping wall Pokémon so badly?

1st world problems suck, yo. Ain't nobody got the time fo all o dat!

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

FragRed

Well the first half of the Direct was pretty unappealing to me. In fact, I actually turned the sound off with Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It just dragged on and on, could have used that time for other announcements/updates and just released the video trailer in its full separately.

However, when Bethesda was revealed to be bringing both DOOM and the next Wolfenstein game to the Switch, my excitement went through the roof. Despite already buying DOOM on one of the other consoles for £10, the thought of playing it on the go is enough for me.

I do feel that there were announcements in that Direct that didn't need to be there, mainly because they were indies already shown during the Nindies Direct a couple of weeks back.

ENGAGE VG NEWS & REVIEWS SITE LAUNCHING SOON: www.engagevg.com

Tsurii

Yo, another potentially stupid question from this here Amazon nub. Does it matter at all whether I apply for Prime on the UK site if I'm from Germany/ordering it to ship to Germany..? Still got the free trial and might as well take full advantage of it (and later the regular subscription) looking at the list of games I want.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

gcunit

I suddenly feel a certain weight lifts from my shoulders.

Back in the Wii U days I felt the system really needed all the support it could get, so for the first time in my life I really bought into it, buying games I would normally not have too much interest in because of the slim pickings e.g. XCX.

But with Switch it's beginning to look like I don't have to feel as much pressure. I don't really like Xenoblade Chronicles, so I'm not going to buy XC2, but I don't have to worry about it because I can show my support in so many other games already.

Use the 'ignore' button, it works.

Currently playing: Runner 3; Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood; Kirby Triple Deluxe; ICO; FIFA 18; Owlboy

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

Octane

I just buy the games I like, the games I want to play...

But it sometimes feels I'm alone in that

Octane

Therad

Octane wrote:

What? What are you, some kind of free thinker? We don't need any non conformists here thankyouverymuch.

Therad

Therad

You should never feel forced to buy a game you don't want. You are doing yourself a disservice.

I have seen people argue you should buy FIFA just so EA will release other games. This will not in any way guarantee EA will ever release another game on the switch.

The companies are responsible to create games you want to play, you are not responsible for any of their actions or inactions.

Therad

gcunit

Therad wrote:

I have seen people argue you should buy FIFA just so EA will release other games. This will not in any way guarantee EA will ever release another game on the switch.

Gurantee, no, but let's no pretend that how one game performs in the market doesn't impact the developer's/publisher's decisions about future games. Of course it does.

Octane wrote:

I like to try and widen my palette, and deepen my understanding of the gaming world by taking in as many types of game as possible (MMOs excluded). If XC2 had released on Wii U instead of XCX, I'd still probably have got it because I'd have wanted to see how it compares to/improves on XC, and to support the Wii U, which I loved. If you don't support the things you love then don't be surprised if you lose them.

But as it happened, XCX was evidently sufficiently different from XC to be of interest to me regardless of my issues with XC. Plus it was hyped very well, and in the Wii U dark days, I was a hype ***** (lady of the night).

Currently playing: Runner 3; Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood; Kirby Triple Deluxe; ICO; FIFA 18; Owlboy

Therad

FIFA doing well will mostly make another FIFA making an appearance, pes or any other sport game.

But it won't make a huge impact on their decision when it comes to other genres such as FPSs. Doom and Wolfenstein will be better indicators for EA than FIFA could ever be. Different genres have different demographics.

And again, it is not your responsibility to enrichen EA, it is their job to create games that is appealing to you.

So @octane is right. Buy the games you want to play and more like it will come.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

MFD

@JaxonH I'd buy those, but I can't stomach anything other than a mouse for my shooters, so I'll give them a pass on that front. Thankfully, I'm but 1 person and a lot of people WILL go for it due to portability and wanting DOOM on the system, and all power to them.

MFD

NaviAndMii

@Therad I totally agree - although, I do seem to recall EA saying something along the lines of 'we'll be using FIFA as a barometer to judge how(/if?) we support the Switch going forward' ..almost like holding a metaphorical gun to the heads of Switch owners and saying 'buy this...or else!', which didn't really sit right with me - people who don't like football (soccer) shouldn't be expected to buy a FIFA game in the hope that an EA game they do like will follow!

Bethesda, on the other hand, almost seem to be taking the opposite approach - before the game they originally announced has even been released, they've committed to at least 2 more - and that early support and enthusiasm for the console is quite refreshing in an industry that seems to have been 'dipping their toes in' rather than jumping in with both feet - which certainly counts for something in my book...hopefully this level of support will mark a shift in the attitudes of other large publishers who might be suffering a little bit of FOMO (fear of missing out) this morning! **fingers crossed!**

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Events | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

MFD

@Octane @Therad I second this. Buy third-parties, but buy them only if you actually like the game and want to play it. I imagine just buying to buy sends the wrong message to thirds as well. They'll think there's a market, when people bought the game with no intention on continuing to play more of that genre.

Loose from the above, in light of this Direct, Capcom must be looking EXTREMELY silly right now. Bethesda, a Western developer of which was thought they'd never go with more than Skyrim, is bringing big guns to the Switch, and there, on the other end, sits Capcom with USF2, XX which is sequestered in Japan, and RE 1 + 2 as only real showing in the West.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

StuTwo

It's obviously huge news.

Collectively games like Doom, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, LA Noire, FIFA and NBA 2K allow Nintendo to realistically market the Switch at a more 'mature' audience. Yes they are in most cases 1 or 2 year old games from other formats but that doesn't make them less important. They greatly diversify the library and mean that the Switch will have at least the potential to appeal to an audience that never would have even considered the 3DS or Wii U.

I think that a lot of people will be surprised by the demand for Skyrim on Switch in particular.

It will need a constant stream of similar games going forwards but there are a number of PS3/XBox 360 games that could easily be ported to provide that and that would sell very well due to added portability. I'm thinking of the Fallout games, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Saints Row... GTA IV and V... Fingers crossed we see a couple of those in 2018. My only worry is that an early 2018 line up of Kirby and Yoshi might undo all of the good work!

Of course the big question is... will Doom have amiibo support?

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Octane

@UmniKnight Not just third party games. Every game. Just buy whatever you like, you won't gain anything from buying games you wouldn't buy otherwise, just to support a company. You're in the minority, it won't make a difference to them (unless everyone bought two or three copies of the game, then yes I would be a significant difference, but you know... that never happens).

Edited on by Octane

Octane

MisterPi

Octane wrote:

Just buy whatever you like, you won't gain anything from buying games you wouldn't buy otherwise, just to support a company. You're in the minority, it won't make a difference to them (unless everyone bought two or three copies of the game, then yes I would be a significant difference, but you know... that never happens).

Amen to that. Wish more people realized this instead of just demanding we all buy shoddy ports of games we normally wouldn't buy just because it's on a Nintendo console.

MisterPi

MFD

@Octane Aye. I for one, will skip Odyssey, but I know plenty of others will buy it in my stead, same with DOOM and Wolfenstein. It's kind of silly that we're at the point of wanting to buy games, just to show support. We'll have a full-price box or storage-eater sitting around not doing anything, which is a crying shame.

I wonder how companies themselves view this. Sales are sales, true, but I'm sure they'd rather like the idea that there's a solid foundation upon which to build.

That said, I will get me some of that Octopath and I've been convinced of XC2 with the story trailer. It probably avoids tropes that I absolutely despise, so I'll get it.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

gcunit

Octane wrote:

...you won't gain anything from buying games you wouldn't buy otherwise, just to support a company. You're in the minority, it won't make a difference to them

Hadn't realised this. Do you think if I write to Nintendo and explain, quoting you, they'll give me my money back for my Wii U and the games I bought for it, you know... seeing as I'm like only a one person minority and it not making any difference to them

Spoony_Tech

@Ervex_109 Lol, been in a cave the last 18 hours.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic