Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,761 to 17,780 of 24,502

Ralizah

Most modern electronics are designed to idle in a low-power state when not being used. The Switch is no different.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH There's a possibility it's the battery percentage being wrong. I remember one time recently switching the Switch off completely at around 15% and when I switched it on several hours later it was at 50% (I wasn't charging it).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I've heard of this issue... ya that's not normal. I think Nintendo put up some quasi half solution on their web page. Says the latest update addresses it, but further steps may be needed before it starts accurately reflecting the battery life...

1. Ensure the console has the latest system update. The steps below apply to system menu version 3.0.1 or higher.

1. Set the Auto-Sleep mode to "Never" for "Playing on Console Screen" and for "Connected to TV."

3. Connect the AC adapter directly to the console until the battery is fully charged.
If the battery charge indicator does not reach 100%, simply allow the console to charge for approximately three hours.
The console can be in use while it is charging.

4. Once the battery is fully charged, leave the console alone for one hour with the AC adapter still connected to it.

5. Afterward, disconnect the AC adapter and allow the console to display the HOME Menu for approximately three to four hours.
The remaining battery life must be depleted as much as possible.

6. Once the battery charge is almost depleted, power off the console by holding down the POWER Button for three seconds, then select "Power Options" > "Turn Off." Leave the console alone for at least 30 minutes.

7. Repeat steps 2 - 6 several times.
The battery charge indicator will improve gradually by repeating this process several times.

It seems worth a shot. Can just plug in til charged, then unplug and set to never sleep on full brightness so it drains. And just cycle through a few times.

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano I totally agree, my Switch drains when in sleep mode and not being charged. I also don't get to use it as often as I would like right now so am noticing the draining of the battery.

FragRed

MFD

@JaxonH I ALWAYS put my Switch power-off. Why would I even let it sleep? It just adds more to the electricity bill.

MFD

MFD

@Ralizah And most modern electricity bills are designed to notify you of that when payment is due

MFD

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
Electric Bill?

If $0.17 per month is worth going through the hassle of powering it all the way down and all the way on every time you use it by all means, knock yourself out

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

MFD

@JaxonH Already working on that, don't you worry besides, for someone who uses it 100% docked, I've no reason to leave it idle for battery purposes or any some such, I've time aplenty to wait for it to start back up, and power back down. Also, every little bit counts.

MFD

rallydefault

It's 2017, guys. You shouldn't be totally shutting off any electronic entertainment device: Xbox, PS, Switch, Cable Box, PC, god-dang BluRay players. They all have varying sleep modes and such instead of turning entirely off. In fact, some devices DO NOT turn entirely off unless you unplug them from the wall.

Get with the times. Seriously. And the battery drain on the Switch in sleep mode? I must've gotten a different model - it's miniscule.

rallydefault

NaviAndMii

...or you could do what I do and rig your Switch Dock up to a wind turbine! #Environmental

๐ŸŽฎ SNES ๐ŸŽฎ N64 ๐ŸŽฎ GB ๐ŸŽฎ GG ๐ŸŽฎ PC ๐ŸŽฎ PS2 ๐ŸŽฎ GC ๐ŸŽฎ PSP ๐ŸŽฎ Wii ๐ŸŽฎ X360 ๐ŸŽฎ PS4 ๐ŸŽฎ MDC ๐ŸŽฎ Switch ๐ŸŽฎ

Currently Playing (Online): Mario Kart 8 DX (R: 8500, B: 2000) | Splatoon 2 (Lvl: 54, CB: N/A, RM: A-, SZ: B+, TC: A)

Switch Nickname: TomCatโ˜…

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii

MFD

@rallydefault Energy drain is energy drain. What reason would one have for letting your console sit there, consuming energy and reducing it's life-span, when the time for it to start up hardly matters

MFD

erv

UmniKnight wrote:

@rallydefault Energy drain is energy drain. What reason would one have for letting your console sit there, consuming energy and reducing it's life-span, when the time for it to start up hardly matters

Actually...

... short story is, exiting power and reinserting power is an actual physical hit on the electronics. It's why you don't unplug your tv every time or hit one of those switches on your plug to shut power completely off. The moment you put it back in, it takes a thumper, so to speak.

So if wear and tear through the laws of nature is your thing, normal sleep and standby modes will in almost every case be better for you electronics than to completely shut them off and reinsert power.

The anatomically awesome evello is bringing the fame and glory!

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

MFD

@erv I'd need factual evidence before I believe that. It's always been the case that shutting things off saves them from wear and tear.

MFD

OorWullie

I was just about to say the same thing as erv above, its definitely does more harm to the battery in the long run. Powering the console off should only really be used for either a reset to try and solve a software issue or if you know it's going to be out of use for a while.

I've accidently ignored a user. I'm not sure where to go to un-ignore them?

Edited on by OorWullie

Switch Friend Code: SW-6101-8403-1640

Nintendo Network ID: Ar_Tee_Es

MFD

@OorWullie Still powering it off as usual, and I've not noticed anything wrong with it. Again, gonna need factual information that it's actually harmful to Switch it off instead of sleep mode.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

YummyHappyPills

I'm laughing. The guy sat here giving anecdotal evidence for past debates wants factual proof for this one.

Oh this site just amazes me.

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

MFD

@BLP_Software Got a bone to pick, mate? I'm merely concerned for the longevity of my console.

You also don't understand the reason I brought that debate up, I did so to be proven wrong in my assumptions, you know, devil's advocate? But I thought we closed that, and yet here you go bringing it back. You can go point a finger at yourself now.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

OorWullie

@Zyrac Cheers. Luckily it wasn't you I accidentally ignored

Yep I forgot about that. I don't like removing SD cards all the time either. I've had a few get damaged over the years.

OorWullie

@UmniKnight Do some research instead of asking us, you'll find your answer. That's how I got to know about it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic