Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,761 to 17,780 of 32,282

Justifier

They are stashing Switches for Monster Hunter XX release.

Soldiers does not judge. Soldiers delivers judgement.

3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

skywake

Nicolai wrote:

Is this at all related to why lightbulbs always seem to burn out when you flip them on? It's for this reason that I always shy away from plugging things in while its switched on.

It's pretty much the same reason. It's pretty simple really, all devices that do work heat up when doing work. When things heat up they expand but different materials expand at different rates. Which means that all of the components move against each other when the device goes from running to off and running again. Lightbulbs are an extreme example because they rapidly go from room temperature to boiling hot multiple times a day.

Is it the end of the world? Well no. Most components are reasonably well build these days and things like flash and the battery will generally wear out before capacitors etc. But if it's a simple question of what's better for your device? Having it on standby is definitely better for it than shutting it down after every use.

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Knuckles-Fajita

So with the news about the Secret of Mana remake being Sony and PC only, when do we admit Sony is buying games to keep them off Switch?

Because this is getting a biiiit to frequent now.

and the ARMS - NL Inklings: Spring Into The Ring Tournament (July 21st)!

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

MFD

@BLP_Software Yeah, that is fishy... But the DQ rumour was debunked by SE saying it's technical stuff, the MH rumour could be debunked by considering it started development halfway into 2013 and it comes out on PC/Xbox One in the West, which wouldn't be great for Sony to say the least. This though... Maybe it's because of Seiken Densetsu?

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Knuckles-Fajita

@UmniKnight Ah yes. Another game for only Japan.

MFD

@BLP_Software It's as if people are being punished for buying an otherwise great console (Switch). Doesn't feel right at all, but companies don't care about things that aren't shareholders or money.

MFD

Knuckles-Fajita

@UmniKnight Thing is Sony did this to kill Xbox One earlier in the generation, right now it's just wasting money, especially for Vita. I mean Vita - 2018? Really? And even if Switch got all these games, it wouldn't catch the PS4 before PS5 comes out! So why spend the money? Is PlayStation really that important that even a slight loss of market share is horrifying?

I said Sony would start being monopolistic again, I kind of didn't want it to happen.

MisterPi

I'm honestly guessing it's because development started before they fully understood what the switch even was, let alone how popular it'd be.

MisterPi

MFD

@BLP_Software Guess now that they've gotten a taste of being firmly in the lead, they don't want that to change once again. The Xbox barely gave them much trouble, and the Wii-U didn't do anything, but now that the Switch is coming in, they feel threatened, especially in Japan.

And the irony is great when you consider that they're being so "nice" in PR statements, hah, double-faced indeed.

MFD

MFD

@Operative2-0 I honestly don't believe this remake would be hard to put on Switch.

MFD

Grumblevolcano

@UmniKnight I agree with @JaxonH about this situation, if it really was technical stuff then they would've said that way earlier but instead they waited until the PS4 version was released. Sony's clearly banned Square Enix from releasing the game on Switch so rather than burn bridges with Sony by sharing the truth, they use the Switch specs as an excuse. We will likely see Capcom use the same strategy when MHW releases early next year, you may be thinking the existence of an XB1 version debunks that theory but it doesn't as Sony likely either doesn't think the XB1 is a threat in this case or they will do the ultimate damage and not allow the game to get XB1X enhancements.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MisterPi

Me either, but square is a giant corporation who can't just change direction quickly and port the game over when a new console is revealed. I'm sure there's a bunch of bureaucratic stuff. Point is, just like ff15, don't be so hasty to say it'll never happen on the Switch, it just may take a little while after the released.
Excluding timed exclusivity, then probably a year after release.

MisterPi

MFD

@Grumblevolcano Hah, then Sony will be sure to find out what the PC can do to their little "dominion" in the West. Reminds me of articles like these: https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/545083/Sonys%20Ryan%20on%20Sw... stuff like that truly churns my stomach.

But Switch is still selling well, even here. It's been in stock at my favoured, and one of the largest, retailer for a few weeks, but the grey one is sold out again. I'd like to see Nintendo gain a stronger market here.

But when push comes to shove, we'll probably see this continue without much, if any, push-back from Nintendo. They're not in it to compete any-more, haven't been since Gamecube.

MFD

MFD

@Operative2-0 Question is, how relevant is it still after being released after quite a while? Skyrim should give a good indication of said relevance.

MFD

NaviAndMii

I was watching IGN's (mini) Game Scoop podcast last night, where the guys were talking about some of their favourite games from the Gamescom event in Germany - and Daemon made a really interesting comment that kind of went under the radar a little bit...apparently, he asked one of the guys at Square Enix about possible Switch ports of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light/Temple of Osiris - and instead of the usual corporate swerve, the guy kind of hinted that they could happen - potentially good news (if nothing definitive at this stage)

Here's the video for anyone interested:

(EDIT: Oops, that didn't work! Not sure how to post a time-stamped YT videos here...but the comment is made at about 25:09! )

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Events | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Peek-a-boo

I like how some of you guys are taking up the role of an (armchair) insider without any sources to back up what you say. All these ‘why isn’t that game on the Switch’ theories are the kind of things you would read in a fan fiction Nintendo magazine!

I want to play the third Bit.Trip Runner game, for example, but I don’t go around saying things like so-and-so company ‘banned’ their games, or are paying to keep so-and-so game off other systems. It is an exclusive game for the Switch, and I accepted that.

If anything, we should be grateful for the surprisingly good support so far, after coming off the back of the rather underwhelming Wii U. Who can blame these companies for taking a cautious ‘wait and see’ approach?

The Switch is barely five months old. Patience is a virtue.

Peek-a-boo

NaviAndMii

@Peek-a-boo Yeah, that's basically how I see things too I've heard that there weren't too many Switch dev kits handed out before the consoles grand reveal - if that's the case, it's hardly surprising that it's taking a little while for third-parties to get their games on the system...sure, it'd have been nice to at least have some firmer announcements by now but, as you say, after the WiiU, the cautious approach was perhaps to be expected.

I think that there are signs that things are starting to pick up a bit though - EA announcing the gorgeous looking Fe for Switch was a pretty nice surprise - and Virtuos recently announced that they have a 'AAA' game in the works for the console too (Assassin's Creed: Ezio Collection, perhaps?) ..if we're still having these sorts of conversations after, say, E3 next year, there'll be reason to be alarmed - but I'm feeling pretty optimistic myself

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Events | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

MFD

@NaviAndMii You remember that FromSoftware was one of the names at the January event? Wonder what they're up to...

MFD

Knuckles-Fajita

@Peek-a-boo I'm surprised you're in this thread. Haven't you got more GT Sport gifs to be posting?

And seriously, how big is your HDD man, I'm actually jealous.

I think people at this point are just sick of Sony getting all the third party games. Like we get a good version of FIFA that is also portable. Cant be advertised on TV though can it? So only hardcore gamers will know. Typically a market that doesn't care about FIFA. Whoops.

Look at something like Monster Hunter. Yeah, World started back in 2013, but where is XX? Seiken Densetsu Collection? Hell, the Secret of Mana remake is a 2018 Vita game. How insane does that sound?

How about those Legacy Collections from Capcom? Where IS DQ11? It's these questions that aren't being answered because "Adult reasons" and people jump to the most logical conclusion: The same adult reasons that kept Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One for a year.

This wait and see approach is bafflingly inconsistent. Capcom wants to go gung ho, but wont, and doesn't bring over the most basic of things. Square says they are in, then doesn't do anything with it, or simply wont say, again, because "Reasons".

There is no problem with exclusives. There IS a problem with the never ending cavalcade of "Adult reasons"/News later/Not stated if exclusive or not and timed exclusives, that is really starting to get on people's wick.

I'm very quickly becoming an advocate of all games just being platform agnostic and streamed, so you can play on whatever box with whatever controller, congrats, and the box is just a streaming brick, because while people are grateful for the better support, it's also maddening for it to be inconsistent with no reasons given.

Edited on by Knuckles-Fajita

MFD

@BLP_Software I'd give MS a thumbs up for letting people know it's a timed exclusive. May suck, but at least they're not hiding it.

Also, I vehemently agree with your inconsistency point. Capcom has done quite well on Nintendo systems with MH, and I've seen many state that it's portability is why they like it so. Those people are going to have to replay Generations until it nearly falls apart...

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic