Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,741 to 17,760 of 69,995

MFD

@Therad I must give you the wrong impression that I'm truly worrying then. I've bought a 3DS for much the same reason I have a Switch: Since I want my Nintendo IP, and I'll do what I can to enforce third-parties bringing their stuff along as well. So long as that IP still has such strong ties to me, I'll probably stick with them regardless. But it'd be a ton more enjoyable if they'd stick with the TV mode aspect here. You simply can't beat a good controller and a nice big screen imho.

The 3DS, however, has truly gotten me to put it down out of sheer displeasure in the case of some games (Monster Hunter Generations). That control setup doesn't lend itself well to that game to be frank.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Wait, what? I thought Sony had exclusive marketing rights for that game?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed I thought so too, maybe there's some technicalities which allow there to be Switch ads.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

@Grumblevolcano @FragRed I think Sony can advertise the game as an independent entity and gets their branding on it. But it can be shown as a sizzle reel or part of a broader ad. Just FIFA 18 on its own has to be Sony.

What's REALLY weird though...is that I haven't seen a single standalone FIFA 18 ad. Or a PS4 ad for that matter. The only time I or anyone I know has seen FIFA 18 on TV...is in a Switch ad.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Pazzo-TheFool

We're debating the nature of the Switch? I thought it was self-evident.

The thing's clearly a toaster. Look at the dock! The Switch itself is the toast.

Kidding, but it makes as much sense as Nintendo forcing the portable market on us.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano That would be surprising. I can only assume that the contract was put together before Nintendo had revealed the Switch to be what it was, and certainly before anyone would have known how successful it was to be in the first year, that somehow gave Nintendo the chance to promote it. Is the advert mainly showing it off in handheld mode? That would be the only way around the exclusivity surely.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

@skywake I'm not worried about anything

I think it's portable because it is in every sense of the word:

portable
/ˈpɔːtəb(ə)l/
adjective
1. able to be easily carried or moved, especially because being of a lighter and smaller version than usual.

I can carry it around, that's what matters. And if I choose to play it in docked mode 95% of the time, that doesn't change the device. It's still the same. That doesn't make it any less portable, I can always pick it up and take it somewhere else.

Octane

Therad

Re FIFA:
News at eleven: EA are cheapskates and tries to unload marketing on to the console holders. More after today's top story, does bears poop in the woods?

From a pure technical standpoint it is a portable gaming device. In the same vein as a laptop with a dock isn't an hybrid computer. The rest is marketing.

Therad

FragRed

@Therad It's the fact that the Switch is a handheld, or has the ability to be a handheld, that has me intrigued over the way FIFA 18 is being allowed to be advertised on TV by Nintendo when Sony has exclusive rights to show the game on its own as pointed out by @BLP_Software. So does that mean Sony's contract doesn't extend to portably devices? If so was that an oversight or something Nintendo managed to snag themselves?

skywake

@Octane
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that the way all of these terms are being rigidly applied is a bit stupid. Sure if people want to call it a hybrid then that's a cool word to use for it. But tech has always had this habit of blurring/outgrowing our neat little categories. At some point we'll get something that's somewhere between a hybrid console and a PC or something and we again won't have a neat box for it.

And if we really wanted to be super pedantic about terms then why not go all out? The Switch is definitely a portable machine. As you said it can be carried. It's also definitely a machine designed to be played at home as opposed to at an arcade. But in the broadest sense the PS4, SNES Mini and GBA are also both of those things.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Therad

FragRed wrote:

@Therad It's the fact that the Switch is a handheld, or has the ability to be a handheld, that has me intrigued over the way FIFA 18 is being allowed to be advertised on TV by Nintendo when Sony has exclusive rights to show the game on its own as pointed out by @BLP_Software. So does that mean Sony's contract doesn't extend to portably devices? If so was that an oversight or something Nintendo managed to snag themselves?

How do you know Sony have exclusive marketing rights?

Therad

Therad

@UmniKnight sorry, then I misunderstood you. I got the impression you were really worried. And I don't think we have to worry until we hear what their next hardware is going to be.

Therad

MFD

@Therad I tend to lose myself in arguments, tis true. I simply value a good big screen experience and a nice pro-controller, and it'd be sad to see this option disappear from Nintendo's platforms and games, no matter the factor that would cause it. The Switch is probably the best, albeit for now only, compromise between handheld and home-console, even if the compromises mean the machine itself loses in strength and storage via cartridges and limited space. I understand that Nintendo has a hard time supporting 2 platforms with their games, and that this is one of the few ways they can still have a piece of the home-console market, while leveraging their handheld supremacy. I can only hope they will retain their interest in the home-console market, and that there are enough that use the Switch as I do to maintain it's lucrativeness to Nintendo.

MFD

Nicolai

@BLP_Software It's amazing how we can go for months without knowing something like this. I wish I read japanese.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Therad

@BLP_Software I don't see anything about exclusive marketing. And we can safely say they don't if they can show switch commercials.

Therad

Samus7Killer

I seen Switch commercials at the movies last night. Advertising Pokken, Splatoon2 and a 5 minute feature on Super Mario Odyssey.

Samus7Killer

MFD

Heh, so what I take from this, 1,2, Switch has almost completely disappeared from advertisement?

MFD

Pazzo-TheFool

Is evolving your product a bad thing?

Where would we be if Nintendo hadn't abandoned its Hanafuda card heritage?

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

Grumblevolcano

I remembered another Direct possibility, a season pass announcement for Fire Emblem Warriors with pre-Awakening teases. It's the only way to stop the Awakening + Fates + Marth discussions.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic