Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,721 to 17,740 of 69,981

MFD

@Octane I've no problems with it being a portable, just that it was sold to me as a home-console.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Therad

UmniKnight wrote:

@BLP_Software Referring you to my edit by the explanation of what a "home-console" entails. Also alright, I'll give you that it fits as a hybrid, but that isn't what NINTENDO is selling it as.

What are you afraid of? Are you afraid there only will be touchscreen games going forward? Because that is the only feature not present in docked mode. Basically every game we have seen so far has been played with buttons.

Therad

MFD

@Therad What am I afraid of? That my preferred way to play will be out the window if it proves not to be popular enough, since Nintendo's strength lies in handheld, that's what I'm afraid of. Polls and such may show that it's roughly equal, or that both modes get used quite a bit, but the general consensus I get, is that people buy it because of it's handheld part, so it can slot into their busy lives. The part of it docking on the TV is a nice bit of "extra" and "extra" can also be removed if deigned no longer necessary.

Yes, yes paranoid all that yada yada throw it all out, I'm waiting.

Edit: Before you point me to the PS4/Xbox One, they don't play Nintendo games, and I have a very deep attachment/history with those. When push comes to shove, I'll play whatever device those games are on, but I'd also very much like a good third-party line-up with that, the best of both worlds.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Octane

@UmniKnight But the thing about connecting your Switch to a TV is very easy as @skywake already pointed out. There's no reason for Nintendo to remove that part. Even if a new SKU or a Switch 2 only comes with a simple USB-C to HDMI/USB/AC adapter, the end result is still the same. Getting it to display on your TV is the last thing I'd worry about.

Octane

Ralizah

Ah, the eternal debate rages on. People have a hard time dealing with a device that doesn't fit in a comfortable box. The Switch is a versatile piece of hardware that can function in a variety of modes, depending on how you use it. That's it. "Hybrid" is just the easiest description to try and define that level of versatility, but, in reality, it doesn't necessarily even fit into that box depending on how you use it. It's just the Switch, and you can play it when and how you like. That's the beauty of the system.

@UmniKnight Nobody is taking TV mode away from you, I promise. There would be no reason to. The Switch is a versatile device: why make it worse for no good reason?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

MFD

@Octane We shall see what the future brings in that regard. You don't see a reason to worry, but there may be a moment in the future where production of the dock (You know, that thing that costs us a ridiculous 99 dollar or I think it's about 100 euros) costs more than it generates, and such, they'll see it more efficient/lucrative to discontinue it's creation, and TV mode along with it.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

MFD

@Ralizah Ah, a nice bit of mockery right there. I can at least appreciate the subtlety that you're using it with. Again, we shall see.

Worse, is but perception. For me, it'd be worse, for some others, also, but for those heaps of people that go handheld only? They couldn't give less of a rat's right toenail.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah Nice to see you chime in. Yup, this has been going on for weeks and I don't think itll stop until the Switch is long dead and even then people will look back and try and decide what it was.

Basically, we are in the same situation of "What is it?" that we were with the Wii U. Except this time it isn't because of inept marketing.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Therad

UmniKnight wrote:

@Therad What am I afraid of? That my preferred way to play will be out the window if it proves not to be popular enough, since Nintendo's strength lies in handheld, that's what I'm afraid of. Polls and such may show that it's roughly equal, or that both modes get used quite a bit, but the general consensus I get, is that people buy it because of it's handheld part, so it can slot into their busy lives. The part of it docking on the TV is a nice bit of "extra" and "extra" can also be removed if deigned no longer necessary.

Yes, yes paranoid all that yada yada throw it all out, I'm waiting.

How can they throw out the dock that is in your home? If they would say, make a mandatory update that removed hdmi out, they would get sued in a flash and they would lose. Why would they do something like that? Even if 99% of people used the switch in handheld mode, it wouldn't cost them a dime to leave docked mode as it is for current customers.

And I have a hard time believing you missed that it could be played handheld before you bought it. It is an integral feature of the console. So what has changed since then?

Therad

MFD

@BLP_Software Need for classification goes way back when though. You have to be able to tell someone with gluten-intolerance if there are gluten in certain pieces of food, right? If those weren't identified and classified as gluten, those people would be in a real bind right now.

MFD

MFD

@Therad I meant for the Switch's future, you know, it's inevitable next-in-line. And yes, the Switch's very name would lose a piece of sense without the dock, as you can only "Switch" to tabletop mode then.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Haruki_NLI

@UmniKnight But before we knew about the issue with gluten, did that classification exist? Nope. It became a classification when the issue was raised.

Just like how we should now have a hybrid classification, because something has come that necessitates it, by not fitting prior definitions exactly.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@UmniKnight Just because they're selling it for €90 (I believe) doesn't mean they're expensive to manufacture. The Switch dock is essentially a USB-C multiport adapter. I've seen them for around €30, and remember the seller is still making a profit at that price, the retailer takes a cut, it needs its own box, separate shipping costs, etc. I can't imagine they're more than €10 to manufacture.

Octane

Ralizah

@UmniKnight It's not mockery, but there's really nothing else to be said! There's no reason for Nintendo to take away TV mode. Why make a successor to the Switch LESS versatile when they could keep tapping into multiple markets simultaneously? It's not like the people who have purchased Nintendo home consoles for decades are just going to vanish into the ether this gen. It's not like the Western market's preference for home consoles is going anywhere, either. As long as they're going with a single system instead of two different ones, why would they focus on one form factor or the other and lose sales? There really is no foundation whatsoever for this paranoia of yours.

@BLP_Software Thankfully, despite people disagreeing on labels for the thing, they don't seem to be confused at all about how it functions like they were with the Wii U, and that fact is reflected in how well it continues to sell. A device that truly confuses people doesn't sell out like this. This "is it a handheld, a home console, or both?" discussion is just there for bored internet denizens like us to amuse ourselves.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

MFD

@Ralizah The "I promise" part gave it a tone of mockery. As for the TV part, we'll see.

I'll be Switching subject here if ya'll don't mind: http://nintendoeverything.com/major-japanese-developer-hiring...

"We recently came across an interesting job listing from Japan. A couple of months ago, one unspecified company put up a job listing for an engineer. The developer is looking to bring in three people with experience in programming games using C#.NET, Unity and ASP.net."

"Those hired will be working on a major console title by a well-known game developer. Additional details about the company’s identify are not provided."

"Regarding the actual project, the listing states that it’s targeted for launch next spring. It’s a multiplatform game targeting Switch in addition to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One."

"Although the job listing doesn’t say which company the position is for, one possibility is Bandai Namco. The work place is Oshiage, which is where Bandai Namco is located. It’s partial speculation on our part, but again, that’s a strong possibility. "

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Therad

UmniKnight wrote:

@Therad I meant for the Switch's future, you know, it's inevitable next-in-line. And yes, the Switch's very name would lose a piece of sense without the dock, as you can only "Switch" to tabletop mode then.

What does it matter if the successor won't have both modes? It won't magically destroy your current piece of hardware, with your current setup and games. How does it destroy your current enjoyment? If (and that is a big if) the successor is handheld only, there is a simple solution, don't buy it.

But if a potential future somehow gives you this much angst and grief already, I would suggest selling the switch. Because it can't be healthy to worry for years to come.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

skywake

Octane wrote:

Eh, it's a portable to me. A console is either portable or it's a home console, not portable and thus tethered to your TV. Being both sounds like a paradox to me, because something can't be both portable and not portable at the same time.

The meanings of words change. Hell, what you're saying here wouldn't make any sense to the people who originally talked about "video game consoles". A console was originally was one of these, named as such because of the large supportive brackets underneath:
Untitled

and if that's a console then this must be a game console. If we're calling that a game console then I guess this is a game console you can use at home. A home console if you will. Gameboy? Well if we're going to be different to a NES then the fact that you can carry it is the difference, so it's a portable console.

If we're going to get pedantic then portable consoles are technically home consoles in the way that term was originally used. And in the way that the term video game console was originally used you could argue that the PS4 is portable because its not physically bolted to a cabinet. Technically in the way the word console was originally used none of these modern game machines are consoles.

So why are we even worried about these categories at all?

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

I've been seeing FIFA 18 Switch ads on TV which surprised me, maybe that version stands a chance of actually doing well.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic