Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,621 to 17,640 of 69,992

MFD

@JaxonH Street Fighter was a test, they said XX was a test: http://nintendoeverything.com/capcom-monster-hunter-xx-switch... You've got your head up your own back-end in regards to Capcom, and refuse to hear a different word. Will you equally refute that promoting World A DAY before XX's launch, as stated by Media Create, has damaged XX? http://www.dualshockers.com/monster-hunter-world-ps4-xx-switc...

You may think Capcom on a high pedestal, but such thinking brings you nowhere.

MFD

FragRed

@antster1983 If the rumours do turn out to be true about Fallout 4 coming to Switch (personally I'm still skeptical), is say it's likely a similar arrangement with Nintendo again bring publisher. That maybe the best way to go with certain games going forward.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
Take that statement and redirect it at yourself, because you're so uninformed and basing your beliefs off sensationalist headlines you haven't got a clue what's really going on.

READ THE ACTUAL STATEMENT

Beginning with Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) Nintendo Switch Ver. for Japan, we are evaluating how we will support this platform in the future

Note They didn't say if, they said how. Because the "if" has already been decided. They are supporting Switch. That's over and done with. Discussion over. They said they want to determine how to best support it. Meaning, decisions based on hard data. Do we like Game A and Game B? Or would we prefer Game C and Game D? That's determining how to support
It.

That's not a "test". That is saying "we are already supporting the system, beginning with MHXX our official support has begun. And now that we are supporting it, we will observe how certain games perform so we can better determine which games the audience prefers.

And that's common business 101 sense. You don't go blindly dumping your entire back catalogue on any old platform, you tailor which games you bring based on the audience's preference. ALL COMPANIES DO THIS, even if Capcom is the only one honest enough to admit it.

In case you hadn't noticed they've now got 4 games coming to the system! That sure is alot of games for a "test". News flash: they're supporting the system. Tests are over. And the first one was necessary because if Street Fighter sold like crap, and the audience spoke loud and clear that they don't want third party games, then there would be no point in them supporting the system. ALL COMPANIES MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON SALES. They need to properly gage the market demand before they start dumping millions of dollars on a losing investment, or maybe not a losing investment but one which offers less returns than the alternatives.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

The past week has made me realise that as time goes on people will look down on the Switch.

Constant fighting over what it is, what it isnt, what it should have been, what it lacks, the constant reminder that its still early and still has no games (This wont go away we just need to admit it).

I figured things would begin to look up but now even Nintendo fans are fighting amongst themselves.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

MFD

@JaxonH If you want to call the remake of the remake of an old game, the expansion of a 3DS port, locked in 1 country, and 2 games which I can't exactly judge, for I am not at home in the RE franchise to be support, then that is on you.

Fact remains that Capcom's faffing about isn't well received. Read around on how people respond to them generally, and you'll see what I mean.

MFD

Pazzo-TheFool

If I was a Nintendo, I'd show off retro gaming for Switch, including SF2, and thus make some people not worry about the SNES Mini. Since there's no way everyone who wants one will get one, it'll drive folks to the Switch.

It's going to happen.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

MFD

@BLP_Software People are still their own individual. They'll have conflicts over tastes of games, like or dislike of a company, before we're even at the "console wars" or "fan of this or that".

MFD

Haruki_NLI

@UmniKnight Its okay saying hey its not for me yet but a lot resort to blatant falsehoods. I didnt stand by the "PS4 has no games" either because low and behold it did. Just only one or two of note at launch. A bit like Switch actually...

Its when those falsehoods and endless back and forths become the discussion and unfortunately its the only discussion. The honeymoon period has ended and all these issues people gleefully ignored are now ruining a system despite always being there. It suddenly has no games. Itll never sell well enough to dispel the "We dont know if its a success yet" comments because lets be honest people can easily move those goals as they wish. Most people would say outsell the Wii to be successful. Most would be happy outpacing the Xbox One. Nevermind catching the PS4 which had a head start of some margin.

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
The only response that matters is the sales, which shows people respond by buying the games. And I don't care if it's a port or not- games are games. And a great game is a great game. Period. That's just the industry in general nowadays. Everyone ports. Even Nintendo is starting to do so.

"New game" is only new for like a week, and then it becomes an "old game". Doesn't matter, games are games and ports are usually the best games to get because they cherry pick all the best ones. New games are a risk, a gamble, and no guarantee it will even be any good. And if you haven't played the game it's effectively brand new anyways.

I never played an HD remake of Ultra SF2. Heck, I haven't even played the original in 20 years. That game was awesome, incredible, even got a fight stick for it. Totally appeciated. That's the good stuff there.

Same for MHXX. People have been dyyyyying to play MH in HD again. This has been my dream release. Excellent game. And RE Revelations collection? Terrific games. Never played much of the 2nd, so that's gonna be a brand new experience. Not to mention, ports are actually justified on Switch because they offer many games portably for the first time ever (or at least a competent, HD portable version for the first time ever) or offer console play for the first time ever). Either way, almost every game brought to Switch offers something people have never had before. And that's worth having.

Let Nintendo worry about "new games". I just want good games. I don't care if they're new, old, large, small, ports, remasters... makes no difference. Having all the best, top rated games cherry picked and ported is a crucial aspect of the library. Absolutely crucial.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

KirbyTheVampire

@BLP_Software The fighting over what it is is the most ridiculous thing. Why can't people see that it's a hybrid?

KirbyTheVampire

MFD

@BLP_Software So what would you want to see instead of this? A universal singing of praises? So far I've seen, it has been a ton favourable, I mean last I checked, the first original third-party game is doing really well (Rabbids). It's just that, if you've got a hybrid, and you serve 2 markets at the same time, those markets can clash in interest, such as the handheld portion objectively having more games.

It's never all good and well, and Nintendo is far from done with their work.

MFD

MFD

@KirbyTheVampire Because it's very form factor, the machine itself, is very clearly a handheld. It functions without the dock, but I've spoken enough on this. It cannot be called Switch without the dock, I'll take that little, meaningless solace from that I can.

MFD

Haruki_NLI

@KirbyTheVampire I just end up pidgeonholing those people in a meat box called "Afraid of change". Its a new classification. Give it some time. Im sure the GameBoy and NES, smart phones and electric cars all had the same start.

@UmniKnight Its not the negativity that bothers me man. If there was no negative who would we know whats positive?

Its that all these things are only NOW problems. Ive known from the start there would be compromises. We all did. It was clear.

What baffles me is even after the success, even after stuff like Mario + Rabbids and Zelda, and the high sales of indies, and the response to Skyrim and FIFA, that people still write the thing off because of what it isnt.

Heres the thing. They dont need to like it. But they shouldnt lambast others for liking it like I see so many people do. I hold a very "You do you" approach. Im not huge on the PS4. Do I tell you you spent your money wrong and that it has no games and all the jazz we hear about Switch? No. People are content with their purchase.

Its the people who bring up these problems without ever acknowledging that those problems to them are good to others because as you say everyone is individual. Its the complete writing off of one side that drives me insane.

The elitism that "This is what it should have been to be worth anything to anyone" or flat out denying what it is, is what sucks. Because then the comments go on and on.

Haruki_NLI

@UmniKnight Its been said before. Switch refers to more than "TV or handheld". It refers to choosing your control configuration out of the box. You can even Switch from handheld mode to tabletop mode, and that doesnt need the dock.

Samus7Killer

@GrailUK no way in hell would Overwatch work on Switch and also that stupid chat app.
No way in Hell.
Ill stick to Overwatch on my big boy console.

Edited on by Samus7Killer

Samus7Killer

KirbyTheVampire

@UmniKnight You can say that about a lot of things. Is a watch just a simple bracelet because you can take out the clock?

KirbyTheVampire

MFD

@JaxonH I like how you glance over the people that use the damn thing as a home-console in regards to ports. Ports are mostly perceived in a negative light so far that I've gotten the impression. The old tat of other consoles, games most have already played, something people don't care about any longer (Skyrim, being ported all-over and quite old by now)

I'm actually quite excited about one of these "old ports" that being Xenoverse 2, so before you pin that down on me, consider that first.

Exclusives is primarily what sells systems, and a port by it's very definition, isn't an exclusive. Portability will only go so far.

@KirbyTheVampire Can you hold the Switch in your hands like a handheld? Can you do the same to a PS4/Xbox One/any other machine that holds the home-console moniker? It is a handheld by form factor, and this is a fact.

The dock built out and made strong is probably what people would've liked to see. No matter how you view the docked Switch, it's a handheld that gets a little hand to perform as that which it actually isn't, because removing the machine itself, shatters that illusion of home-console once it neatly continues as what it really is, said handheld.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

MFD

@BLP_Software The reason why people would be miffed, is because they constantly get facts thrown in their face associated with the handheld part, and so they get averse to it the point of hating it. Weak hardware? Compromise for portability. Cartridges with low storage? Compromise for portability. Ironically, it's that same portability that endears people, and has devs even notice the darn thing, but the fact remains that those who bought a Wii-U, and are looking for that which does what it should've done and succeed, are not finding what they're looking for. Instead, they find the Switch, a handheld in form-factor that has a dock, which arguably could've been far more than it really is. They can't fall back on an alternative with Nintendo games, now can they? I wonder how many people would truly have bought a Switch, if Nintendo's games were on PS4/Xbox One/PC as well.

The Switch was guaranteed to get these clashes from the get-go due to being "hybrid" but it's the handheld only games that really light the fire in this case.

At the end of the day, I personally am stuck to it, because it's the only device that runs the next Pokemon, the next FE etc. If I was given the choice to have these games on stronger hardware, then I would've gone with that in a heartbeat.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
We're not talking about "selling systems". We're talking about having great games to play. Nintendo games are the only thing that sells Nintendo systems. These games are just so people like us can have fun games.

And you need to get over your whole deal being upset it's not some power console. Had it been that, then millions of other people would be upset Nintendo flushed their cool advantage down the toilet just so Mario can have a shinier cap. The system is what it is. Everyone loves it. You need to accept that it's not what you would've preferred... but truthfully nobody cares what you would've preferred. People are happy because one single Switch can play games on the TV that look almost just as good as current gen power consoles, all while playing those same games on the handheld (and look almost just as good as current gen power consoles). People love that. We get it- you just play games on the TV. Oh well. Everyone else loves the hybrid aspect, even people who don't typically play on handhelds love it just because of the versatility it offers in the house. Time to suck it up and get over it. Times are changing, and people are quickly realizing how dated it is to lock a console to a single television, when you could have games that look 85% as good yet not be tethered to single chair and room. Be grateful that it is a hybrid which can play on the TV. Cause had it not switched in the dock, you'd be SOL...

Edited on by JaxonH

skywake

FragRed wrote:

Traditionally how well does FPS games do on Nintendo systems without going all the way back to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark?

Two things I'd say to this. Firstly there haven't really been any shooters on Nintendo platforms to be successful. The ones that have existed have always been seen as the graphically worst versions. Something that hits that genre hard given it has mostly been a genre about specs.

But I think post-Bayonetta 2 we need to get over this idea that people with Nintendo consoles don't want "mature games". Especially given how much of the Sony portable market Nintendo is taking.

BLP_Software wrote:

Most people would say outsell the Wii to be successful. Most would be happy outpacing the Xbox One. Nevermind catching the PS4 which had a head start of some margin.

Well if you do a comparison of sales at ~21 weeks for hardware....
PS4: 7.2mill (~200k/week steady)
Wii: 6.2mill (~250k/week steady)
Switch: 5.2mill (~150k/week but super erratic)
XBOne: 4mill (~90k/week steady)
3DS: 3.2mill (~80k/week steady)
Wii U: 2.8mill (~30k/week steady)

and for software
Wii: 18mill
PS4: 16mill
XBOne: 12mill
Switch: 10mill
Wii U: 6.5mill
3DS: 5.2mill

Given it hasn't had a Christmas sales period yet and most of those other consoles did I think those numbers are pretty impressive. If it can continue that sort of pace then it's well and truly a successful console. Especially if it can resolve the supply issues and start to outpace the Wii/PS4.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic