PS4:
PSVR: Skyrim VR
Vita:
X1:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

DarthNocturnal

Amazon.ca just lowered the discount from 20% to 10%. I heard it's because they were doing really well... so, now they have no reasons to be nice (although they always lagged behind .com. We still can't get games digitally, preorder bonuses are a crapshoot, etc).

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
I know you can't order from BestBuy and have sent to Canada (not without a forwarding service anyways), but Amazon US ships globally. Would signing up for Prime on the US site be worthwhile or no?

PLAYING
Switch: Skyrim, LA Noire, DOOM, Rocket League
3DS: Metroid Samus Returns
PS4:
Vita:
X1:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

skywake

Got Sonic Mania which is kinda weird when you think about it. The Switch is a Nintendo console and Nintendo are, if anything, known for their various platformers. Mario, Kirby, Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong etc. Most of which I will generally buy without giving it a second thought because I love platformers. But then the Switch comes along and months after it being out I buy the first platformer for it and it's Sonic.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Reginald

Pretty sure Wonder Boy was the first platformer on Switch...

Edited on by Reginald

Reginald

Grumblevolcano

One of the biggest 3rd party tests comes out in 10 days. If a direct collaboration with Nintendo won't work then nothing will on the 3rd party front.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SKTTR

Octane wrote:

@SKTTR Splatoon came out in 2015, not 1995. I don't think there's even a difference in online gaming in Europe and the US. It got discounted because NOJ and NOE decided the price should be lower for whatever reason. Maybe because it released with limited content or maybe because the Wii U wasn't doing as well in Japan and Europe, so the discounted price would help to convince people to pick up the game in those two regions as well.

I guess there was a difference in online gaming! Not just for Nintendo and their view on the different markets but also for their vocal fanbase in Europe and Japan that complained at the time when the largest portions of a game were accessible online only, while in the US people were already so accustomed to online-only gaming that Nintendo could get away with full price.

However, it might not be the reason and we might never really know. But checking the facts, Splatoon and Super Mario Maker were Nintendo's first online-focusing games and they both came at 39,99€. Other games were priced at 49,99€ or 59,99€ (except a couple of smaller titles like Game & Wario, Captain Toad, and Kirby).

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Octane

@SKTTR Since when though? How was North America more used to online gaming in 2015 than Europe (or Japan)?

Octane

SKTTR

Reginald wrote:

Pretty sure Wonder Boy was the first platformer on Switch...

Pretty sure Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove / Specter of Torment was the first true platformer.
Launch games Snipperclips and Metal Slug 3: a puzzle-platformer and action-platformer/run&gun.

Then came Blaster Master Zero, Snake Pass, Metal Slug 1, and LEGO City Undercover that all have a good chunk of platforming elements.

And then Wonder Boy came along. So I wouldn't exactly call it the first platformer. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is designed like a metroidvania.

And since then we got:

• Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
  • Mighty Gunvolt Burst
  • GoNNER
  • Metal Slug 2
  • Death Squared
  • Cave Story+
  • Slime-san
  • Phantom Trigger
  • Sonic Mania
  • Magician Lord

Octane wrote:

@SKTTR Since when though? How was North America more used to online gaming in 2015 than Europe (or Japan)?

I just don't think it's a coincidence that they put a much lower price on their very first online-focused games in two of their biggest regions. I don't know the answer, I'm just guessing by looking at the facts. I would ask Nintendo, but I don't think Nintendo would like to elaborate on old marketing matters. The 3 regions all have their own presidents and decision makers.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

AlliMeadow

The eShop price for Splatoon in Norway was about $27, while Splatoon 2 was at about $63. I'm really glad the first game was cheaper, because I wouldn't have bought it for more I think. I had no problem with the sequel being the normal retail price for games, though. I have no idea why the eShop price for Splatoon was so cheap, because most stores sold it for about $63.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

skywake

@SKTTR @Reginald
I didn't say that Sonic was the first platformer on the Switch. I said I think that it's a bit weird that we have a Nintendo platform where one of the first reasonably large mascot platformers on it is Sonic. Especially given that it's the first platformer I've personally brought on the system.

Yes there are other platformers on the Switch. I'm just saying that as a person who's brought a lot of Nintendo stuff over the years? It's kinda weird to me Nintendo have a platform where Sonic is the go-to platformer at this point. Not bad, not the only platformer. Just weird that we're talking about Sonic and Wonder Boy and not Mario and Yoshi.

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SKTTR

skywake wrote:

@SKTTR @Reginald
I didn't say that Sonic was the first platformer on the Switch. I said I think that it's a bit weird that we have a Nintendo platform where one of the first reasonably large mascot platformers on it is Sonic. Especially given that it's the first platformer I've personally brought on the system.

Yes there are other platformers on the Switch. I'm just saying that as a person who's brought a lot of Nintendo stuff over the years? It's kinda weird to me Nintendo have a platform where Sonic is the go-to platformer at this point. Not bad, not the only platformer. Just weird that we're talking about Sonic and Wonder Boy and not Mario and Yoshi.

Not new for me. On Gamecube we had Sonic Adventure 2 Battle at launch.
Next to Luigi's Mansion, sure, but that wasn't a platformer. It took a year until Mario Sunshine.

No, this time we returned to the Wii formula, launching with Zelda and multiplayer and party games.

backloggery.com/SKTTR

FragRed

@SKTTR You realise that in Europe, Nintendo don't set the prices of their games, hardware or accessories as they do in North America right? Can't say that's the same with Japan but it's definitely how it is over here in Europe. Obviously the eShop is different, but physical products are not determined by Nintendo.

FragRed

gcunit

Grumblevolcano wrote:

One of the biggest 3rd party tests comes out in 10 days. If a direct collaboration with Nintendo won't work then nothing will on the 3rd party front.

Disagree. Looks like a great game, but it's hardly a genre that defines the state of the market.

I've just held an Ignored Users amnesty on my account. 20+ users are back in the game with an extra life - make it count :)

Currently playing: Rocket League - Chess Ultra - Super Mario Odyssey - FIFA 18

SW-3124-5612-5724

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

MFD

Personally I think the Switch is mismarketed as a home-console when it's really just a handheld with TV connectivity. It tends to run better in handheld, you can throw the dock away, and it functions just fine. I know why they marketed it as such, to get away with the prices they're asking for the machine and it's games, but in form-factor it's a handheld, the majority of people perceive it as such, and yet here we're paying home-console prices.

It also compares poorly to the other home-consoles that really do fit that tag, both in terms of how much a developer can put on a Blu-ray, and the specs of the PS4/Xbox line-ups.

MFD

JaxonH

Seems they haven't been pushing Mario Kingdom Battle as hard as they should. I hope it does well... I think it will though. A lot of people seem impressed, even non-Switch owners have asked me about it. Leading Ubisoft's e3 conference with it was a great move.

So, Friday is when Monster Hunter XX releases, and the Tuesday after is when Mario x Rabbids Kingdom Battle releases. I may have to set Splatoon 2 aside for a while. Cause both these games are top priorities and releasing back to back, and with Metroid Samus Returns and MH Stories due a few weeks after....

PLAYING
Switch: Skyrim, LA Noire, DOOM, Rocket League
3DS: Metroid Samus Returns
PS4:
Vita:
X1:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

Octane

@UmniKnight Of course it's a handheld. If it wasn't, you wouldn't be able to take it on the go.

Octane

MFD

@Octane But then why are we paying Home-console prices for games, accessories and the machine itself? Also why is Nintendo getting away with what is then basically false marketing.....

MFD

YummyHappyPills

@Octane Anything is portable is you try. Im sure if I carry a portable generator and strap my 12kg PC to my back with a screen in front of me I can play PC games anywhere.

Same with my PS4. It technically is a home console you can take with you.

The difference is while you can, doing so is incredibly impractical @UmniKnight so a concession had to be made to acheive that vision. And you wont fit a PS4 level device in something Switch sized yet.

Give it a few years though.

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

MFD

@BLP_Software But, again, as I've said above, it compares unfavourably with the other consoles that do have the home-console tag, and it has home-console prices. I daresay people that now buy a Switch with all the whistles and bells are being conned out of their money! Personally, I use my Switch as it was advertised, and am getting an inferior experience to handheld, with FPS drops and the likes. So people who say "hybrid" are probably smoking something not quite legal.

As for concession, more like sacrifices when looking from home-console perspective (weak specs, limited space due cartridges) and it being fantastic from a handheld perspective. I was led to believe I bought the Wii-U's successor, not the distant true form of the 3DS.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic