Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,301 to 17,320 of 31,635

MFD

@Ralizah Oh that's true, also I wasn't talking about my personal situation. I can get a PS4 if I so desire, but it doesn't have Nintendo IP, and I have some very strong attachments to those.

I get that over-saturation is a thing, ach nvm. You probably won't feel the same way I having red about every game not coming for whatever reason (and all the water-testing etc). I get that it comes from Wii-U, but it weighs on you to have that thrown in your face all the time.

MFD

Ralizah

@UmniKnight Oh, I totally get the frustration, and I even own a PS4 if I want to play those sorts of games.

Here's the thing: while some games just won't play on the Switch due to power requirements (mostly big, AAA titles), most third-party games aren't announced for Switch because A) Nintendo has a strained history with most of the big third-party developers and B) the perception has existed for a long time that Nintendo fans don't buy third party games. Even if they released hardware that rivaled that of the Xbox One X, they would still have historical issues that kept a large number of third-party games from coming to their system.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

MFD

@Ralizah I know the situation, aye. I'd like to know how prevalent that "Nintendo system = for Nintendo games" really is among the Nintendo gamers, and how it's perceived by said third-parties.

So far, most third-party games have done well, so hopefully they'll come around soon, and the water-testing stops, since it seems most people are really annoyed over that in particular.

MFD

Knuckles-Fajita

@UmniKnight Nintendo gamers seem to be sick of being the whipping boy of the industry. So when third parties test the waters we buy it.

Problem is i doubt they will ever STOP testing the waters...

Sign up for the NL Inklings Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Tournament on June 23rd: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

MFD

@BLP_Software I feel you there. It's a cycle of wanting the other games they have, but them testing with a game you don't like, and yet you feel pressed to buy it to get a possibility, not even certainty, at further support. Very unfair, but at the same time it's accumulated over time and come to this. So yes, the question is, when is the testing enough? (not to mention all the missing features and cut content/game being lessened of those that DO make it over *Fifa 18 story mode, WWE 2K 6 chars on screen instead of 8, etc.)

I red Kimishima say there was more to expect once the Switch reaches 10 million units, and though I've been biting into that a little too hard, it's simply because I hope the Switch gets games just like the other systems do at some point or another... http://nintendoeverything.com/details-from-nintendos-77th-ann...

Amidst the storm of testing and games skipping the system, once has to dredge up a tiny puddle of hope somewhere, right?

Edited on by MFD

MFD

JaxonH

Im not annoyed by developers testing the market. I certainly don't expect them to just blindly dump their entire portfolios on the platform without regard. They want to make sure there is demand for their games first, as they should. I can't reasonably expect them to start bringing games that nobody's going to buy.

Practically every third party game on the Wii U failed. Even the highest profile, exclusive, highly rated 3rd party entries like Bayonetta 2, which came with an entirely free game and exclusive Nintendo content... scraped just to hit 1 million sold. Excellent games that fit the market well- like Sonic Racing Transformed or Rayman Legends... they couldn't even sell half an million copies. despite being every bit as good as Mario Kart or NSMBU, which sold millions and millions.

So ya, third parties are going to be a little cautious. Nintendo gamers are tired of not getting the same support as other consoles? Well that's because Nintendo gamers don't show the same kind of support as other gamers. Things are definitely changing now though. The gamership on Wii U was absolutely horrid- that lot wouldn't buy a great game to save their life. But Switch owners? Switch owners seem to be buying up games. Which bodes well for future support. It won't get everything. I'm gonna have to play Monster Hunter World and Ni No Kuni elsewhere, for example... but 9 out of 10 of the games I want to play most... will be on the Switch. And I could complain that I have to own a separate console for those specific games, but to what end. If I have to own a separate console to play a few games I really, really love... then so be it.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Hollow Knight, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
New 3DS: Radiant Historia
PS4 Pro: God of War
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

MFD

@JaxonH Thing is, I won't buy games that I don't like just to show support. I will buy games that I do like, because I'm sure I'll enjoy them, and if they support, then all the better. But you can't expect people to buy into the water-testing, just so they can have a little plastic box with a game they'll never use, and a chance at more support (not even guarantee)

For example, I'll buy Xenoverse 2, because I want that game, and even then I'm going out of my way, since I could've bought it for 25 on the Steam summer sale, but I'm buying it 60 on Switch to show support, and be able to play with friends online. And that, considering I have a tight budget, only able to get 1, at most 2 games a month.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
Wait, hold up...

Who said anything about buying games they don't like just to show support?

I never said anything of the sort. Reading my comment over again.... nope. No idea where that was misconstrued from.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

MFD

@JaxonH "Well that's because Nintendo gamers don't show the same kind of support as other gamers."

Not buying the test-water games could easily have the one selling them think this. Hence implying we should buy these games no matter what, if only to have this support-base created.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Grumblevolcano

Whatever Nintendo does it will always be best if possible to own at least 1 non-Nintendo console. Anyway if Nintendo decided to instead of Switch create a PS4/XB1 clone, it would've had the same situation as the Wii U because about a year after launch (8 months this time) it would've been severely underpowered compared to the competition (XB1X).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
No, people should buy the game if they want it, and not buy it if they don't want it. And if not enough people buy it then there's just not enough demand on the system and they shouldn't bring any further games. Can't very well complain about not getting games when there's not enough people interested to support said games. And if not enough people buy those test games, I guarantee you the one selling them will think that. As will I.

@Grumblevolcano
Even if it wasn't still underpowered, power was never the deciding factor. It would've had the same situation as Wii U simply because no third parties would be supporting it (it doesn't matter what Nintendo released, there is no scenario in which third parties were going to be on board day one). And because it would offer absolutely nothing different than the other consuls but a whole heck of a lot less... only Nintendo fans would've purchased it. As a result third parties would've continued avoiding the console, and the cycle would've repeated. But by creating something different, Nintendo managed to get people interested despite not having the third party games. Which got more people than just the fans buying one, Which is now leading to increased third-party support which will in turn lead to more people buying it, and the cycle is broken.

Switch was the only legitimate play they had left.

NOW PLAYING
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

MFD

@JaxonH But to hinge your entire IP library on just 1 particular type of game? That's madness. Not to mention highly unfair. I mean, I couldn't give less of a rat's behind about Fifa, but Bioware (was under EA if I remember) has games I'd try, like Dragon Age.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
If that one particular game is the best selling game they have, then if even that game can't sell then none of the other games stand a chance.

That said, nobody completely hinges their decision on one game. They might tell you that's what they're doing because you'll believe them. But it doesn't matter if it's their game or someone else's- they are looking at all software sales on the platform, their own included. If 9/10 3rd party games are selling well, but one game does not, they'll likely investigate as to why it didn't meet expectations when every other game has. But if their game doesn't sell well and half the other games on the system aren't selling well, that's all they need to pack their bags for a year or two and revisit down the line when the install base is larger.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

MFD

@JaxonH So then, what's your take on how third-parties are currently doing on the Switch? Personally, I have Disgaea 5 and Fate/Extella next to me, adding One Piece, Xenoverse 2 and Rabbids to that soon, with more to come as announced.

I've also supported third-party back on Wii-U, Wii etc, but beyond the first wave of games that interested me, Wii-U never saw any further waves....

Edited on by MFD

MFD

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
Eh, seems to me they're doing reasonably well- certainly far better than on Wii U. Especially for having such a small install base. What I'm worried about is JRPG's. Seems no one cared about I Am Setsuna- and I get that it had already been out on PS4 but, there was just so little interest it scares me. Now Lost Sphear is in the works, and the game honest to goodness looks immaculate. But it's like people just aren't interested- I don't hear anybody talking about it.

Aside from that, I'm optimistic. I think people have a much better reason to buy games that they might have already played before. For example, a lot of people have already played Skyrim and Rocket League. But I'm willing to bet a large number of people buy those games specifically because it is the first ever chance for them to play those games anywhere, and do so without needing some watered down handheld version. I'll be there day one for most 3rd party games. Disgaea 5, Fate Extella, I Am Setsuna, Bomberman, Ultra Street Fighter II, Puyo Puyo, Cave Story, Binding of Issac... got em all. One Piece, DB Xenoverse 2, Mario Kingdom Battle, FE Warriors, Rayman Legends, Nights of Azure 2, Lost Sphear, Skyrim, Rocket League, The End Is Nigh, FIFA, NBA 2k, WWE... I'm buying a ton of games. Even more when Dragon Quest Heroes 1/2 and DQ Builders 2 and DQXI and SMTV finally release and come west.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

MFD

@JaxonH I've heard I Am Setsuna was depressing, and I'm not much of a turn-based RPG player these days, since I've had (nearly) every Pokemon, Fates and Awakening in terms of FE, plenty of turn-based on my computer, etc. I'm not one for depressing, and yeah, over-saturation on my end, along with genuine disinterest in that particular game.

I do usually buy JRPGs, but Setsuna was not my jam. You can be damn sure I'll get Octopath though. Nights of Azure, I would but.... There's too much as well....

I usually don't go for DQ, because I don't like that first-person way of fighting monsters. I want to see my characters, so if it offers that, sure, I'll indulge.

As for buying games for portability, yeah, that's a thing as well. I personally don't care for that, but I guess it does sell extra just for that reason.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

rallydefault

@JaxonH @UmniKnight
I Am Setsuna was an awesome game - I loved it. And I'm very picky with my RPGs these days. I also don't know where the talk about poor sales is coming from - I was under the impression it did pretty well considering it never sold gangbusters on PS4, either.

I mean, at the very least they've decided to bring the next game to Switch again, so it couldn't have done too bad, especially in this all-too cutthroat industry.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

MFD

@rallydefault I may be tempted to try that Lost Sphear, depending on when it comes out, the state of my finances, etc.

MFD

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
January 19th I believe. Day after my bday is what made it stick in my mind.

NOW PLAYING
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic