Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,261 to 17,280 of 31,481

MFD

@DarthNocturnal But for now, they're a crutch that is more in the Switch's way, than doing it any favours. I've had many a technical discussion on our local Discord with people who do programming and the likes, and they frequently mention the cartridge as a reason why multiplats ain't making the jump.

MFD

MFD

@Nicolai I believe the numbers of which mode is used more should be privy to Nintendo alone. If they become public, then I fear developers will act on them, and the message of the Switch will be messed over hard. If games like Severed and Voez didn't have a solid reason to be handheld only, they'd be doing that already.

MFD

electrolite77

@UmniKnight

"It tends to run better in handheld"

What games does this actually apply to? Breath of the Wild was patched. Everything I've got (20-oddgames) runs better docked, even if it's just a resolution boost.

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Octane

@Nicolai Why did you reply to me? I don't care how people use their Switch, that's up to them!

Octane

electrolite77

@Farmboy74

"To be honest if the Switch is a roaring success, I cannot see Nintendo making a dedicated home console again".

I agree, and it makes total sense. Their most successful machines have been handhelds, their handhelds outsell their home Consoles, there's very strong competition in the home Console market but none in the handheld market.

The hybrid concept makes perfect sense too. Switch is the list powerful handheld around and Nintendo's most powerful home Console. Sweet spot.

MFD

@electrolite77 I never take my Switch out of it's dock, so I haven't been able to test BotW, but I frequently encounter frame-drops at particular places, and I see them when playing Fate/Extella as well.

Does it frequently drop frames in handheld mode as well then?

MFD

Farmboy74

I thought the advantage of cartridge was that because it's flash memory the game information is loaded quicker than it would be from a disc.
I think the main reason multiplats have not made the jump is the performance of the WII U, the Switch is not powerful enough and quite possibly Nintendo delaying the release of development kits.

Farmboy74

MFD

@electrolite77 I don't see it have much going for it as home-console though, other than connecting to a TV. If the dock did more than it does now, then I would agree.

MFD

JaxonH

Console, handheld, hybrid.... it's all the above. Games cost $60 because.... they're $60 home console games. XV2 is $60 (actually, it's only $50) because... you guessed it, it's a full console game, playable as a full console game, identical to all other home console versions of the game which also released at $60. Only way you're going to pay less, is if you go out and look for a significantly inferior, sub-HD, handheld-only 3DS version. Then you can pay $40. Games don't magically cost less just because they run on a handheld- they cost less because they've always been vastly inferior. But now we have console parity.

It doesn't matter if tablets can run to a TV. They can't do so out of the box and they can't do so easily and practically. It's why nobody bothers doing it. Ease of use and practicality is everything. And games run better in docked mode. Zelda jumps from 720p to 900p upscaled to 1080p. Splatoon 2 jumps from 720p to 1080p. Same for Arms, same for Mario Kart 8, same for pretty much every game on the system. Who cares how cheap or not cheap the dock is. It lets you play games on your TV , and people want to play on the TV... so what's the problem. Out of the box you get the ability to play full console games on the TV and instantly grab the system to take with you anywhere and play the exact same games uncompromised on the go. The dock doesn't have to make games run better- it simply has to serve one purpose- provide an easy, seamless method by which gamers can play on the TV and instantly take the system with them without disconnecting/reconnecting cables, without using save transfer tools, without any hassle and without and significant downgrade to the game itself in either mode.

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Hollow Knight, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
New 3DS: Radiant Historia
PS4 Pro: God of War
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Knuckles-Fajita

@UmniKnight Can you conclusively prove those statements though? If you can, sure, but before you say "This is how it is" I want your evidence, less I am reduced to simply countering your points with asking for proof, and saying there are many outliers to your point.

Breath of the Wild runs at 720p handheld, hitting mostly 30fps. 900p docked, hitting mostly 30fps. One of those is, by objectivity, better.

Another example - Splatoon 2: 720p max resolution at 60fps on handheld. 1080p 60 on docked.

Another - Sonic Mania: 720p 60fps handheld. 1080p 60fps docked.

Another: Mario Kart 8: 720p 60fps handheld. 1080p 60fps docked.

Another: Minecraft: 720p 60 with few dips handheld. 1080p with few dips docked.

Another: Thumper: 720p 60 handheld. 1080p 60fps docked.

Another: Snake Pass: 475p 30fps handheld. 675p 30fps docked

Another: Shovel Knight. 720p handheld. 1080p docked. FPS consistent across

Another: FAST RMX. Dynamic up to 720p at 60fps on handheld. Dynamic 1080p at 60 fps docked.

Another: ARMS - 720p 60 handheld. 1080p 60 docked.

I can go on, and on, and on.

Games, with very few exceptions I must stress, they do exist but are few, run better at a higher resolution or frame rate when docked than handheld. Simply because the power supply and higher resolution of a TV means the extra power of the Switch can be used, rather than be wasted on pushing higher resolution visuals on a screen that cant show them by pixel count.

Sign up for the NL Inklings Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Tournament on June 23rd: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Knuckles-Fajita

@UmniKnight Wait, your argument is that you see people never using it docked, only as a handheld, because "That's what it is and Nintendo lied"....yet you just said you never use it out of the dock.

Methinks the pot is calling the kettle black right now.

Sign up for the NL Inklings Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Tournament on June 23rd: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

electrolite77

@UmniKnight

If you don't see any, fair enough. However to me the value is it plugs into my TV and plays lots of really good games that look great*. No it isn't as powerful as other consoles but so what? My XB1 isn't as powerful as my PS4 Pro but that doesn't mean it's worth less as a home Console.

*P.S. Actually the value to me is the flexibility, that it's both a superbly Powerful handheld as well, but we're strictly talking home Console worth here.

Qwertyninty

What are the chances we get new switch announcements at gamescom?

Qwertyninty

BigBadJohn

@UmniKnight when di Nintendo lie to you. The reveal and in fact every trailer since launch has showed it being used both docked and handheld. They've marketed it as what it is... a hybrid.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

MFD

@electrolite77 Oh yeah no, as a handheld, the Switch is the living god among regulars, and a true marvel. But as a home-console? Compared to the others? Eh... The best thing the handheld part can do for the home-console only users is bring in more people, hence more install-base, hence more games.

MFD

MFD

@BLP_Software It's not of that "because" it's that what just about every place of Switch news gives me. All I see, is people talking about how they use it handheld, see it as a handheld, and wonder why it has a dock. Any surprise I feel like a minority user about to be discarded?

MFD

MFD

@BigBadJohn Perhaps not lied, but they're playing very loosely with the term "home-console" as it stacks up for the worse, if not far worse in contrast to the others. For some, handheld is the reason for purchase. For me, it's an unwanted feature that has had many sacrifices come to pass to accommodate it.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Octane

BLP_Software wrote:

Another: Snake Pass: 475p 30fps handheld. 675p 30fps docked

What happened here?

Octane

Knuckles-Fajita

@UmniKnight Well...you aren't a minority user.

Allow me to explain something.

It has always been marketed as a home console you can take on the go.

Did you miss the key word?

A home console you can take on the go.

One more time, so you get it. A home you console you can take on the go.

Hint, for the uninformed: CAN. Optional. It is a choice. A choice, you make, to suit your life, that works for you. People will choose what is best for them. The entire ethos is in the slogan.

Anytime, anywhere, with anyone. Switch and play. You decide how it is used. They don't. They made a device for everyone, with many use cases, all of which have merit. Its up to you, as an individual, to decide what that is for you.

For you and many, many others, believe me, it is a home console. Myself included. I use it 75% docked. For some it is more of a handheld. Back when I was at university, and thus travelling, handheld it was, because that use case fit my life at the time. Now, its more of a home console, but I don't need to buy a second device for that privilege.

You, are not a minority. You own a Switch. You play it how you want. But that doesn't mean you are special or the only one because believe me you are not. You wont be discarded or thrown away.

Besides, wasn't your argument about whether or not it has value as a home console? Now it seems to be about your insecurity and buyers remorse.

I will also add humanity has issues with categories. Everything needs to fit in a box. Exams do that in school. Put you in a box. Genres, are a box. Different kinds of media, are a limiting box. Hell, cars are diesel, petrol, electric. Categories. They all fit neatly into a little box.

But hybrid cars? Remember the uproar there. Its not one or the other, so what is it? The concept of hybrids is hard to get around because it doesn't fit a pre-conceived arbitrary box. To humans that is maddening. Everything needs a definitive label and whenever a new label comes that people don't understand or messes up their current systems of categorising everything, they rebel.

The Switch is a hybrid. It is a choice. How you use the controllers, is a choice, based on you, as an individual. Whether the system is a handheld or not, is down to how you as an individual use it. Whether the games are handheld or home console style experiences and your enjoyment of them, is again, down to you. Some games in my library feel far superior as short handheld experiences. But they also don't feel out of place on a TV. It doesn't fit a category because it is a hybrid.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic