Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,261 to 17,280 of 69,992

SKTTR

They should put them on a 64GB card. They said cards up to 128GB were possible to play on Switch.

I don't wanna buy half retail games.

Hybrid of homeconsole and handheld is great, but hybrid of physical and digital is crap.

And I wanna see a game that's more than 64GB, heck they haven't reached close to 32GB yet (on Switch).

The game in question is NBA 2K18, which needs internet access and microSD card to download and save additional data, so that it can be the complete game.

A 25GB game that doesn't fit on a 32GB card? How can that be?
Is 2K Sports going the cheapskate? Did they put their Super Kyrie Irving Special Limited $99,99 Edition 25GB Game on a 16GB card??
However, Nintendo said that the games that use this cheapskate tactics will still be playable even in their vanilla version, but they'll be missing content. Content that should be on the physical card.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Samus7Killer

Kyrie is a huge wimp anyways. Crying for a trade cause he cant play under Lebron. Hes lucky Lebron came back to make Cle great again. 3 Finals appearances and 1 ring not enough. Hell he only played in one of those appearances. Have fun playing mediocrity basketball again Kyrie. /rant

No one should be buying this half assed game on Switch. What a joke.

Samus7Killer

Qwertyninty

Can anyone tell from the nba 2k footage if there is cloth physics in the game?

Qwertyninty

JaxonH

@BLP_Software

3: The 25gb game is using a 32gb cart, but due to the read-only nature of the cartridges, certain content had to be written to SD?

Perhaps the majority of the game is on cart, and it's just the online portion or something that requires a content update first.

I'll be interested to see how this pans out

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

4. The game when it went gold was broken/unfinished and they have to release a massive day 1 patch

In any case I got a 64GB MicroSD card for my Switch as a random cart filler to justify the shipping cost. It's not like storage is super expensive these days.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

IceClimbers

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Then the console would've had 64 GB and the price of the console would be higher - higher than the current Switch and a 32 GB microSD card. The price gets passed on to the consumer regardless.

Anyways, this type of thing will be an issue until the larger capacity Switch cards are cheaper to manufacture, particularly the 64 GB card.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

skywake

Here's another reason why this complaint has always been a bit stupid. Fair enough in the Wii days when the lack of storage was super limiting with no elegant way around it. But on the Wii U and the Switch? I don't get why people are upset at all. People who are annoyed at the lack of storage can resolve it by buying more storage. Done, problem solved.

Could the Switch have come with more storage? Sure. But you're still paying for that storage even if they include it in the box. What about the people who don't need the extra storage? Why should they have to pay more for storage they don't need just because you're too lazy fix the issue yourself? Do you want two SKUs with different levels of storage? Good luck finding the specific SKU you want!

Really, Nintendo have approached this in the best way they can. Make a single SKU for storage so that there's not the 8GB Wii U scenario again. Give people enough storage so that it's not limiting but not so much that people who don't need it are paying for stuff they don't need. Then give people the option to expand their storage with off-the-shelf, non-proprietary storage expansion options.

Edited on by skywake

SLIGEACH_EIRE

That's why I've said to properly get setup with a Switch you're looking at a lot extra on top of €330. You need a Pro controller, carry case if you're taking it out, screen protector, a memory card, a powerbank battery again if you're travelling, a game(both Wii and Wii U came with a game), etc.

And yes I understand that it's in part due to the limited and expensiveness of the cartridges but having larger internal memory could have alleviated the problem. It doesn't cost much to make it larger and it would have been cheaper for Nintendo to do(and passing on the cost) than for us buying memory cards.

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH Yeah. But if that is the case why wont it fit on the 25gb of free internal storage. Why *specifically * an SD Card?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@BLP_Software
Maybe this is like the LEGO city undercover where people just misunderstood. Maybe they're selling digital codes until the physical release comes out and that's why it says that.

I think speculating is futile. Just gonna have to wait and see

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

@SLIGEACH_EIRE
Here's the thing though. If they were to include all of these things in the box do you think they would just pass all of the potential savings on? Unlikely. If the Switch had come with 2-4x as much internal storage, external battery pack, case, pro controller, screen protector and a game? It wouldn't have had a much higher RRP.

And that higher "value" would mean nothing to an end user who is one or more of:
1. Going to buy <10 games over the life of the console (i.e the average)
2. Mostly interested in cartridges for retail releases (i.e. the majority of sales)
3. Happy with the included controllers
4. Wants to pick their own carrying case
5. Is never going to take their Switch out of the house anyways
6. Already has a portable battery/spare microSD card

That's before you remember that microSD cards continue to drop in price. Today for about the cost of one full retail Switch game you can buy a microSD card that will store ~10 full retail games. What about next year? 20 games worth of storage for the cost of one full retail game? If you need that much storage for that many games you can afford buying the extra storage.

Edited on by skywake

skywake

Just doing the maths for the games I've brought so far. If I had downloaded all of the games I've got so far? I'd have chewed up 25GB of the Switch's storage. Of which about 14GB could have been saved simply by buying the physical copy of Zelda. I would have had to have brought pretty much the entire Switch retail library thus far to have filled up both my internal storage and 64GB microSD card. Including that Japan exclusive Dragon Quest two pack.

I think it's a super huge whine with little merit. To be frank the only reason you'd care about storage is if you were buying a lot of games and downloading them all. And if you're doing both of those things your issue isn't price. Because you're buying a lot of games and also paying more for the convenience of downloading them.

Therad

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

That's why I've said to properly get setup with a Switch you're looking at a lot extra on top of €330. You need a Pro controller, carry case if you're taking it out, screen protector, a memory card, a powerbank battery again if you're travelling, a game(both Wii and Wii U came with a game), etc.

The only thing of those things you listed is game (and in one instance, a memory card), the rest are extras. You don't need those things, it works perfectly fine in all three modes without them.

Therad

Ralizah

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

OK, let's apply this ridiculous logic to the Wii U.

Now, the Wii U, unlike the Switch, is a pure home console, which means you need an HDTV to enjoy it properly. Unlike the Switch, it also only comes with one controller, which means you need to buy a Pro controller for multiplayer with a lot of games. It also needs an external hard drive, since some games are too big to fit in the internal memory. Also, protective armor for the GamePad in case a child uses it.

Looks like the Wii U was secretly a $1000+ console, Slig.

Or we could both just admit that this train of thought is juvenile and stupid.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@Therad You need a Pro controller if you want to play 2D games properly. You need a screen protector if you don't want your screen scratched. You need other things depending on where and how long you play for.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Octane

The screen protector argument is BS. Because you don't need it and none of my touch screen systems (phones, handhelds, GamePad, etc.) came with a screen protector.

The only argument you can make is that you're paying extra for portability if you don't use that feature.

Octane

Ralizah

Oh crud, I've been playing 2D games all this time without a pro controller! Guess I haven't been doing it "properly."

Octane

Don't forget your Doritos and Mountain Dew, they're required for Skyrim.

Octane

Ralizah

Spicy Doritos if you want to properly enjoy Skyrim.

OorWullie

I'm having zero issues using the Joy-con analogue stick for my 2D games. It surprises me as I've never been able to use analogue for 2D before, but the Joy-con stick is so short it works a treat. I'm able to get high up the leaderboards in Neo Geo games with it so it's good enough for me. The Pro controller D-pad on the other hand is not good and more needs to be said about this. For overhead 2D games it's a nightmare. I really noticed it when playing Shock Troopers. I press up quickly sometimes it shoots diagonal. I press right or left quickly it sometimes shoots diagonal, very frustrating. My Pro controller is now my Splatoon and BOTW controller, everything else I use the Joy-con. I plan on getting a 8bitdo pad and an arcade stick. I'm confident the 8bitdo D pad will be superior to the Pro's. What were Nintendo thinking when designing that.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic