Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,241 to 17,260 of 22,066

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia Nice! Happy to hear you are enjoying it! I'll mod it with sanwa buttons after I build my funds back up (spent a little too much at the conference...but I'm learning the Japanese flute now lol). Well after I get mine I mean...still waiting on amazon.

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.
Villanova University: 2016 NCAA Champs! GO NOVA NATION! 2008 Alumna

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

OorWullie

@DarthNocturnal At least you know it's not your Switch. Doesn't help your TV but still. I fear anything going wrong with mine,I'm all digital and its a Japanese Switch bought in Thailand. If it ever needs to be sent away, it'll take around 2 months for me to get it back.

Edited on by OorWullie

Switch Friend Code: SW-6101-8403-1640

Nintendo Network ID: Ar_Tee_Es

FragRed

@IceClimbers To be fair the Xbox One doesn't have much going for it even with Crackdown 3. Microsoft just rely too much on third party support (which they don't even have exclusive marketing/content for) and the odd games for service first party title which seems to be their aim going forward.

FragRed

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed I see it more as focusing on expanding existing games rather than having new ones. Halo Wars 2 has an expansion this fall, Gears of War 4 had some very significant content updates this year, there seems to be something related to ReCore happening at Gamescom, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DarkRula

And Forza gets a new game every year thanks to it being split between two types of racing now.
If Nintendo was to ever get something like Forza Horizon on the Switch, I'd find it a difficult choice between the two.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano But shouldn't they be doing both? Sony and Nintendo manage to create new games and continue to support existing titles. Even more so when they cancelled a number of high profile games.

FragRed

Octane

@Grumblevolcano Does anyone actually care about new stuff for ReCore? The sales were disappointing and it was received with mixed reviews. Even if it gets new DLC, I doubt it really matters a lot for the Xbox brand as a whole.

Octane

FragRed

@Octane How well are Xbox One exclusives doing as a whole? I've only ever heard disappointing sales and reviews.

FragRed

rallydefault

@Octane
Recore is an excellent game. It's upsetting that it sold so poorly, but I'll definitely boot it back up for DLC. I would recommend it to people who enjoy action/adventure platforming, for sure. The end is a bit of a grind to artificially pad the length of the game, but the gameplay itself is fantastic - it's just fun to control.

Sigh...it just takes me back to how sad the gaming industry is right now where an honestly good, new IP like Recore sells poorly, but iterative stuff like Uncharted is a sure-thing. (Recore is head-and-shoulders better then Uncharted gameplay. Story is not as good, though).

I hate to say it, but I hope we're heading for a crash, or at least spectacular failures of established series to shake up the pattern we're in. I mean, what are the big games coming up in the Fall? Mostly sequels. And even Nintendo is guilty of this. It's mostly stuff that we've seen before a million times. It's getting tedious.

rallydefault

Octane

@rallydefault I've heard mixed things about ReCore, but I get what you're saying.

I wish Gravity Rush sold better too. The second one was probably the last game we got in the franchise, and that's a shame, because they're very good games.

New IPs are just difficult to sell.

Octane

FragRed

@Octane I really wanted to enjoy Gravity Rush, it looks awesome but after trying the demos on both Vita and PS4 I just couldn't get around the controlling of the character. Just isn't for me which is a shame because I really like the looks if the game.

FragRed

Octane

@FragRed Oddly enough, I don't remember having any difficulty with the first game, but I'm a few hours into the second game and I'm still adjusting the motion sensitivity and inverting the camera controls every now and then. I think I'll stick with inverted X-axis, regular Y-axis, and high sensitivity on the motion controls. Anyway, after fiddling around with the controls in the second game I can understand why it takes a while to master them. Moving around in 3D space, like actual 3D space, is pretty difficult. Especially when the concept of up and down don't really apply anymore.

The only weird thing is that you can play pretty much the entire game with motion controls, but that doesn't work when you collect debris and you want to aim at enemies. Somehow it disables motion controls for that part. Both games can also be played without motion controls of course.

I haven't played the demos by the way, so I can't say if they're representative of the entire game in any way.

Octane

MsJubilee

@Octane Don't play Recore on the X1 if you're thinking on trying it out. Runs and looks like garbage.

I've died. There is no more me

Crack Down 3 runs at 30 frames "The best frames no compromises" Halo Wars 2 runs 22 and below on Xbox One X "It's a monster" AC origins runs at 30 FPS on the Xbox One X "The most powerful console ever"

3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742 | Nintendo Network ID: TwilightAngel9

rallydefault

@Octane
Yea... it's a bit demoralizing sometimes. It's like...what are people excited for these days? Uncharted 5 (yea they're not using that title, but the new game is the next 6-hour Uncharted game no matter how you cut it)? CoD 15 or whatever they're up to? Assassin's Creed 11? God of War 4? Halo 6?

And yea, let's include Nintendo in this to be transparent: Mario Kart 8. Splatoon 2. Pikmin 3. The Mario series, holy cow. It goes on and on.

And new stuff like Recore, ARMS, and probably even stuff like The Last Guardian will likely never see sequels even though they are fantastic games.

Don't get me wrong, devs always tout "innovations" as their franchises age. Call of Duty adds wall running and slide boosts. Zelda scraps dungeon order. Mario adds a new powerup. Assassin's Creed, uh... adds an eagle? I don't know, I can't defend that series any more. Forza adds... more cars. But when you're being honest with yourself, the "innovations" being touted generally are small. GENERALLY, new IP is where true innovation comes from that evolves the hobby.

I don't know. Maybe now that gaming is so advanced, maybe we've seen pretty much everything that can be done. Like, honestly: ask yourself? Do you think there are any new genres out there just waiting to be discovered anymore? Maybe VR really is the next logical step for people who want truly new experiences. Perhaps the ground-breaking days of stuff like the original Wolfenstein, Mario, Command&Conquer, Everquest, etc. are truly gone and can never be recaptured.

rallydefault

MsJubilee

@rallydefault But didn't Arms sell a million? So i wouldn't put Arms in the same category as The Last Guardian and Recore.

I've died. There is no more me

Crack Down 3 runs at 30 frames "The best frames no compromises" Halo Wars 2 runs 22 and below on Xbox One X "It's a monster" AC origins runs at 30 FPS on the Xbox One X "The most powerful console ever"

3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742 | Nintendo Network ID: TwilightAngel9

Zyrac

@rallydefault I find it ironic that you mention Splatoon 2 right before claiming ARMS probably won't get a sequel. Let's not forget, Splatoon was a very innovative game itself, and that's hardly ancient history.

Available for online play around 7-10PM UK time most weekdays, whenever on weekends.
Pullblox levels | Fallblox levels | Fullblox levels | Mario Maker levels | ACNL Dream Address: 6E00 000F 65D2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6987-6502-7004 | 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: Zyrac23 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic