Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,221 to 17,240 of 69,963

Samus7Killer

@Grumblevolcano maybe cause of rosters and updates and stuff. Trades happen all the time. The cover star isnt even in Cleveland anymore. Kyrie is a wimp!

Edited on by Samus7Killer

Samus7Killer

antster1983

Meanwhile I have some updates on the PAL eShop...

• Physical Contact: 2048 has a release date of 7th September. WHHYYYY???
  • The next ACA NEOGEO title is Blue's Journey.
  • Earth Atlantis and Super Ping Pong Trick Shot are now on the eShop, with release dates TBD.

Next week is going to be very crowded with new releases, with a massive NINE titles expected, two at retail in Europe:

• RBI Baseball 17 (Tuesday)
  • ACA NEOGEO Blue's Journey
  • Double Dragon IV
  • Lichtspeer: Double Speer Edition
  • NeuroVoider
  • Physical Contact: 2048
  • The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth + (also at retail)
  • The Bridge
  • LEGO Worlds (Friday, also at retail)

Edited on by antster1983

antster1983

Switch Friend Code: SW-7169-0993-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: antster1983 | Twitter:

JaxonH

That new 400gb microSD didn't come a day too soon...

I bought MHXX digital because I didn't want to wait for my physical copy to ship overseas, and I've really grown to love launching it whenever I want without changing cartridges. I think I want to buy all my fave retail games digitally also (not in place of). And that extra space will help alot.

Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon, Mario + Rabbids... I want them all digitally. That's like 28gb there, right? I think with this new card, if I stick to only doing the major detail releases I love, it could work. Obviously that's on top of indie games, potential VC, updates, etc. But it could work...

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Spoony_Tech

@JaxonH I'll be happy with a 128gb for the life of the system. Don't even want to know how much a 400gb cost!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Therad

Octane wrote:

NEStalgia wrote:

RE, as with nearly all multiplats is subsidized by the console holders via a sourcing down payment. That's not unique to Capcom, that's now most AAA multiplats are funded. Sony and MS play ball. Nintendo doesn't. Thus a key reason Nintendo doesn't get many multiplats. I imagine they DID pay into Skyrim since Nintendo approached Bethesda, for example.)

[citation needed]

+1

Especially since historically the publishers have paid the platform holders to be on the platforms. This has been one of their main revenue streams.

EDIT: Btw, Sony doesn't need to pay developers, they are the platform to be on at the moment. They have the biggest install base, if you are going to concentrate on a platform it would be either PC or PS4 to maximize potential sales.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Octane

@NEStalgia Again, with no source whatsoever for something that supposedly not a ''secret, rumor, or speculation'', I find it very hard to believe. Like @Therad said, it used to be the other way around, and the platform holders still earn royalty fees from third parties. I don't see any reason why they would pay for games to be on their platform. Logically it should be the other way around. See it as a ''privilege'' that third parties can sell their games to a bigger audience on other platforms apart from PC.

I understand that a game like SFV was funded partially by Sony, and therefore ''console exclusive'', but I don't buy the idea that the platform holders pay for every single third party game.

Octane

JaxonH

@Octane
I agree, but they do pay for marketing rights, they pay to keep games off other platforms (be it a full exclusive or just keep off one specific platform), they pay to suppress knowledge of other versions... probably any kind of deal imaginable has been made.

For example, just look at Yakuza Kiwami box art. "Console exclusive" right on the cover, from a 3rd party SEGA game. How would they KNOW it's not going to be released elsewhere? Surely they don't just slap "exclusive" willy nilly without knowing 100% for sure they're the only ones getting the game. And if they are, there's likely a reason for that.

I think there's an entire department at Sony with a pretty large budget which does nothing but pay for games to skip other platforms (estimates potential sales lost and makes an offer), pays for exclusive content, pays for marketing rights and the suppression of information about rival versions.

They're a cut throat company. As much as people love their game consoles they are a cut throat company through and through. And let me not neglect MS in this. They're no different, although lately they've been far more passive.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Samus7Killer

I Want that Sonic Forces for Switch.
Ill get a 10$ gift from BB so add that to the discount plus $5 BBGift i have already i can get the game for about $20 after tax.

Samus7Killer

Octane

@JaxonH That's not what we were talking about...

The assertion was that Sony/Microsoft pay for games to come to their platform, whether that is Resident Evil, FIFA or Call of Duty doesn't matter. I find that hard to believe without a source.

I wasn't talking about any exclusivity rights.

Octane

Spoony_Tech

Good too hear!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

SKTTR

Would be nice to have this.

Untitled

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

NEStalgia

@Octane I'm not rjejr, I don't have a clipboard full of references, for things. If you want details troll around RPS, Polygon, where the industry speaks openly, and GAF, where the industry clandestinely speaks through anonymous leaks. But the first two cover it enough. Specifically search for older interviews with MS execs, particularly pre-Spencer, but even Spencer's discussed the issue. EA interviews particularly in the Moore and Richaleto (sp?) eras.

Again, it's not clandestine, it's just a fact of business. Sony paying for a game to NOT arrive on a certain console would be clandestine. Platform holders funding/co-funding/co-sponsoring AAA dev isn't. heck, do you honestly think Aiden Pierce made it as the #1 character on the PS4 launch box art if Sony didn't have that right through funding? Or the fact the game was showed off at the PS4 show? Or why Square Enix unveiled FFXV gameplay footage at Microsoft's show, or why EA saved the footage of the new Bioware GaaS for Microsoft's show instead of their own conference? These things aren't done for free or kind gestures. They're part of funding packages.

For Skyrim Switch, notice the marketing angle is being handled by Nintendo's people, not Bethesda's, including the trailer which was presented in Nintendo's framework, not Bethesda's. Again, none of that is free.

This isn't 1997. You don't just crank out a game, publish it everywhere, and hope people buy it. Indies do that. AAA with $200M+ budgets don't have that cash laying around. Not even EA. Multiple parties are funding, including outside investment.

And what do you know, Sony's biggest business is insurance and financial services.....not consumer electronics....

You're not wrong about royalties, that's still the bulk of the platform holder's income after all after online subs. Consider the subsidy an advance that doesn't always pan out as a return.

Forward investment doesn't always have to be raw capital. They can extend credit, loans, or cash, sure. They can also extend soft money. Advertising resources, publishing/production capability, staff services. All these things provide a considerable monetary value. At this point, as #1, Sony likely doesn't have to do this very often unless they want exclusivity, full or partial. But early PS3 era they sure did.

@JaxonH MS more or less pioneered that whole system. They're passive now because they're the ugly unwanted stepchild of the Microsoft umbrella, and they're losing their shirts. Were the One stomping the PS4, they'd be a lot less forgiving. Though I do believe Phil Spencer is a lot more ehtical in how he operates the division than his forebears.....he doesn't seem to apply "the Microsoft way".... FWIW, that term was coined to me by someone on the inside

NEStalgia

MFD

@NEStalgia Would be nice if Nintendo started doing some of these tbh. They're just sitting there and taking it as it stands >.>

MFD

veeflames

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Looks like Mario vs. Sonic has returned big time, Sonic Forces launches on November 7th.

And Sonic Forces launches with a great price as well. If it reviews well for Switch I just might pick it up alongside Mario Odyssey.

Although I don't think this some battle between Mario and Sonic, though. Not in the slightest.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

NEStalgia

@UmniKnight oh, I don't think they're taking it per se, I think they legit don't care. They have a very different business model in mind, and it seems to work out for them very well, WiiU aside. Only gamers that want "all the games"on one platform seem to care. But they have their own library crafted the way they think will make them money, and it overall seems to be an effective strategy. It's a fairly intentional situation I think.

NEStalgia

Samus7Killer

Vee_Flames wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Looks like Mario vs. Sonic has returned big time, Sonic Forces launches on November 7th.

And Sonic Forces launches with a great price as well. If it reviews well for Switch I just might pick it up alongside Mario Odyssey.

Although I don't think this some battle between Mario and Sonic, though. Not in the slightest.

ill be getting both games. Both day ones for me.

Edited on by Samus7Killer

Samus7Killer

MFD

@NEStalgia So the idea of Nintendo rowing in their own waters is still a factor here. But surely they're not very happy about the whole World situation?

MFD

NEStalgia

@UmniKnight I'm certain they aren't! If Sony paid for that, it was a blindside. And if the rumors are true, that's why XX exists. We'll see what Capcom does. If there isn't a follow-up MH on switch, Nintendo isn't going to be thrilled with that situation. If World doesn't sell great in Japan, and I don't think it will, and neither does Capcom given their meager sales estimates for it, either they're being paid a bundle by Sony, or they'll end up rectifying that. Though the fix might be for Japan only...

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic