Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,201 to 17,220 of 69,980

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@Therad I think what the article says is fair and accurate. Summer holidays are over and there's no major releases on the horizon until October in the form of Super Mario Odyssey. There's Pokkén Tournament DX and Dragon Quest X, but they're ports. Still the combination could boost weekly hardware sales. If sales are low, people always say that Nintendo couldn't meet demand. Yet they somehow had enough for Splatoon 2 and MHXX Switch Ver.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

MFD

@Grumblevolcano I do still wonder about that, but then I'm not as universally excited for games overall, let alone for Mario Odyssey as it seems the majority of people are. But then it has you wonder, if Odyssey really will impact FE: W's sales, then couldn't they have found a better spot for it?

As for XX, if we'll see a Western release at all, with World so close, then it'll probably be mid/end 2018, when it probably doesn't even matter anymore...

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Octane

@JaxonH Experience tells us that attach rates are often higher on systems with a smaller userbase. If this was a new Monster Hunter, it probably would've sold better, but since this is a port of an expansion, it is what it is. So while the attach rates are the same as on the 3DS, I don't think the comparison is entirely fair. Still pretty good for a port though.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

The question is will Capcom see worth in localising it or will executives twist this into more persuasion for the developers to move away from Nintendo in the franchise by disregarding context?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

MFD

@BLP_Software Hmmmm, think there's something of a grudge or such going on here?

Has me wonder, did Capcom have good sales on Nintendo system? I don't remember reading they had a particularly hard time with any of their franchises, maybe some with Ace Attorney...

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Therad

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

@Therad I think what the article says is fair and accurate. Summer holidays are over and there's no major releases on the horizon until October in the form of Super Mario Odyssey. There's Pokkén Tournament DX and Dragon Quest X, but they're ports. Still the combination could boost weekly hardware sales. If sales are low, people always say that Nintendo couldn't meet demand. Yet they somehow had enough for Splatoon 2 and MHXX Switch Ver.

So demand has been met in Japan? So it is easy to get Switch if you want one? Because that is what the article implies. But if it hasn't been met, then it doesn't matter if any games comes out until October, it would still sell. You can't look at a single week and then think you have an answer for the next week. You need a trend curve for that.

Now, a quick search on amazon.jp says they have 6 units in stores. So maybe the biggest frenzy has died off.

Therad

NEStalgia

@UmniKnight It's not a grudge. Capcom almost ran into bankruptcy chasing the COD money years ago and given their limited franchises and their liquidation of some of their more diverse studios at the time (Clover being the most iconic, of which the key members reformed as Platinum) Capcom has had a real struggle paying the bills. Enter Sony, Capcom's new sugar daddy. Capcom has only three "big" franchises (no AA and Megaman don't count): SF, MH, and RE. Sony flat out paid for SFV, Sony (and MS) pay into RE, and speculation is that Sony at least part paid for MH. It's not so much a grudge as Capcom is almost involuntarily a Sony 2nd party as a matter of funding now. They're independent, but can't afford too many projects off the big ones that are subsidized.

NEStalgia

MFD

@NEStalgia Fair enough, but then why has nobody bothered to buy them up yet? Surely Sony would love to have the MH brand in Japan, as well as SF and RE for broader markets? (I know Nintendo barely does anything in this, even if I'm sure they too would like to own MH, as well as the other franchises.)

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Therad

@NEStalgia do you have proof that sony have paid for all those games? Otherwise it is pure speculation.

Therad

NEStalgia

@UmniKnight Why buy a pizzeria if all you want is a couple of pizzas? Sony doesn't want Capcom. They don't want Megaman, they don't want Ace Attorney, or Okami, or the the dozens of other unused IPs Capcom owns but can't afford to leverage. They don't want the building, the shares, the staff, or the debt. They just want a couple of Capcom's games made annually, so they just pay to have them made. Sony gets some games they want on their system, Capcom gets to pay the electric company. Everybody wins. Except Nintendo fans. And Capcom producers that secretly want to jump on a katana.

@Therad SFV is 100% paid for by Sony, full stop. Not speculation they bought it outright, as a pure Playstation exclusive (plus PC. But there's not even going to be an arcade version which really makes me question it's longevity. Not even for the arcades they own and operate in Japan themselves.) RE, as with nearly all multiplats is subsidized by the console holders via a sourcing down payment. That's not unique to Capcom, that's now most AAA multiplats are funded. Sony and MS play ball. Nintendo doesn't. Thus a key reason Nintendo doesn't get many multiplats. I imagine they DID pay into Skyrim since Nintendo approached Bethesda, for example.) The only one that's speculation is MH:W. 50/50 the rumors are true. I suspect they are given the situation, but no, there's no proof for that one. Still, even if MH:W's rumor is false and Sony didn't pay into it, having 2/3 of your main franchises largely outside funded with arguably your biggest of all your franchises being 100% funded as a console exclusive....that's financially disastrous.

Imagine, say, 2K's position if GTA was a Sony funded exclusive, 2KNBA was co-funded by Sony/MS, and Borderlands may or may not have been funded by the above, but was definitely not getting a PC version.

The company's autonomy is severely limited under such circumstances. "Capcom" as we knew it died when they had the mass layoffs after the near-bankruptcy from the failed Westernization attempt.

NEStalgia

MFD

@NEStalgia That dire huh, I wonder who acquires their IP if they do go off the long end.

It's a really sad thing too, considering how beloved some of their IP is

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Octane

NEStalgia wrote:

RE, as with nearly all multiplats is subsidized by the console holders via a sourcing down payment. That's not unique to Capcom, that's now most AAA multiplats are funded. Sony and MS play ball. Nintendo doesn't. Thus a key reason Nintendo doesn't get many multiplats. I imagine they DID pay into Skyrim since Nintendo approached Bethesda, for example.)

[citation needed]

Octane

Samus7Killer

World of Final Fantasy screams to be on Switch. So good. Its the cutest game i ever played in the past few years.

Samus7Killer

TuVictus

Samus7Killer wrote:

World of Final Fantasy screams to be on Switch. So good. Its the cutest game i ever played in the past few years.

I agree, that's a game that would be right at home on a Nintendo console. I gotta finish it on ps4 eventually

TuVictus

Grumblevolcano

Looks like Mario vs. Sonic has returned big time, Sonic Forces launches on November 7th.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@UmniKnight I don't think Capcom will be going out of business (they were close to it years ago, but they stabilized to a degree.) But they're also working with their hands tied behind their backs and reliant on outside funding and weird cash grabs like the exploding SNES cart for $100. In a way it's bad because it means they'll continue being cautious with their main franchises, and continue ignoring their others. We'd probably see more of certain IP if they did sell it off, but I don't think we'll see that. They'll clutch onto it and keep it in the basement forever and ever. Their merchandising and arcade business keeps them cash positive mostly, even if their arcades are mostly claw and redemption machines these days At least we can be relatively sure Okami Erotic Pachinko won't be a thing (glares at Konami.)

@Octane RE Skyrim, that's personal speculation only, given the knowledge that NoA approached Bethesda about the game and that they actually said yes. That was discussed in an interview with Todd Howard back in Winter, and that NoA mostly talked to execs above his level at the time so he was only part of a few of the talks at that point. Regarding the broader funding of multiplats...err...that's not actually a secret, rumor, or speculation. That's how the platform sourcing works. The platform owners pay in a face value to secure the game on their platform and cover the "porting costs" (a.k.a. a lot more than the porting costs.) to fund the game development, and then pull in the revenues back on licensing and revenue sharing. It bit MS hard as they were throwing money around everywhere in the OG XBox and 360 eras while Sony was investing in their own studios and outright buying studios.

NEStalgia

MFD

@NEStalgia So, if I am to shorten it up, don't expect Capcom to come around anytime soon? Gotcha.

MFD

Samus7Killer

@Operative2-0 i gotta finish it as well. So many JRPGs i need to finish... but playing some last night i realize how cute it is and its on VITA so why not Switch. Id buy it twice i like it so much.

Samus7Killer

Grumblevolcano

Physical NBA 2K18 seems to require an internet download and microSD card for some reason so I'd guess from that we're looking at huge memory space usage.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic