Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,721 to 1,740 of 69,981

Grumblevolcano

@Therad Not quite. If NX was following the same pattern it would essentially be a New Wii U with no exclusive games (unlike the New 3DS).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GrailUK

8th gen is resetting. Of course, no company in their right mind would admit it. Sony and Xbox are playing the '...it's for VR...' excuse. Nintendo have touched on this (in case it's something to fall back on I guess lol) but they are playing the '...new concept...' card. This generation bares no resemblance to any other generation because those that take this hobby passionately (I won't say seriously ) recognise it was lack lustre out of the gate. There is so much to look forward to (that can make this gen epic!) but my wallet for one is worried about making that happen I love the Wii U because it kind of let Nintendo catch up on the Xbox 360 tech level of gaming (albeit years later). Hopefully with the NX, the PS4K and the Scorpio (god that name needs to change), Nintendo will be amongst its peers offering something different and Sony and Xbox are offering gamers a true leap in gaming. Like I said, loads to look forward to, but everyone botched it at the start (Microsoft especially).

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Therad

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Therad Not quite. If NX was following the same pattern it would essentially be a New Wii U with no exclusive games (unlike the New 3DS).

They follow the same launch pattern as Xbox one and ps4. Which also had very little time between reveal and release. Nintendo is only doing what everyone else is already doing and they get annoyed people. Why is that?

One more thing, have we heard from ms or Sony that their new SKUs won't have exclusive content?

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Grumblevolcano

@Therad Yes for both, Microsoft confirmed that the Scorpio is not worth owning unless you have a 4K TV and Sony said all games made for Neo must be playable on the 2013 PS4 model. The closest to exclusivity you'll get is probably a Hyrule Warriors Legends type situation.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DefHalan

@Grumblevolcano This will be the case for a little while but as time moves on they will change their minds and you will get exclusives. By then they might have another "more powerful" machine that will play the same things as Scorpio and Neo... for a little while.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

gcunit

@Grumblevolcano @DefHalan Quite, I wouldn't advise anyone place much trust in either MS or Sony sticking to that 'no exclusives' line. They may end up doing so, but I'm inclined to think they probably won't.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Grumblevolcano

@DefHalan Sure but by then the PS4 and XB1 would've far passed their 5th birthday. The aim of incremental upgrades is to completely avoid the garbage first year or so of a brand new console's lifespan. I don't remember the last time a brand new console had a good first year lineup.

Grumblevolcano

Therad

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

@Therad

Sony and Microsoft are also not the companies who are struggling to sell home video game systems. Was that a serious post?

So why should Nintendo stick to the old formula that nearly wrecked their 2 latest launches? If it works for every other tech company, why should Nintendo of all of them stick to an outdated pr scheme?

Therad

Therad

DefHalan wrote:

@Grumblevolcano This will be the case for a little while but as time moves on they will change their minds and you will get exclusives. By then they might have another "more powerful" machine that will play the same things as Scorpio and Neo... for a little while.

Exactly.

Therad

DefHalan

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

Because a video game company that has spent the past 10 years apparently disappointing many gamers and wrecking gamers' confidence apparently has a regular console ready for launch.

We don't know how "regular" this console is going to be. We have no idea what the NX is going to be. The evidence points to it being a Home Console.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

You're still stuck with a group that's not exclusive to video game consoles, and that's not even getting to the particular group of video game consoles that are traditional consoles (which the Wii and Wii U are not, as least to many gamers).

Why are you convinced that all of the specifics matter? Sure the Wii for example wasn't note-for-note the same as the PS3 and 360. But it was still a traditional console. You still walked into a shop and brought a single box and maybe a few games off the shelf. And those games were things like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. Sure it had this neat little trick it could do with motion controls but really, so did its competition in the end.

When I say it's not going to be a "non-traditional" console I mean it in the only sense that such a term matters. A PC isn't a traditional console because it's very DIY. A phone/tablet isn't a traditional console because you don't get full retail experiences on it. From the start we've known that the NX is going to be a piece of dedicated gaming hardware. That in itself makes it a fairly traditional console of one form or another. Since then we've learnt that the new Zelda is coming to NX. Which pretty much rules out any portable or hybrid theories people may have had. I think that narrows down what the NX is more than enough.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

@BiasedSonyFan
Another thought, what would make the console "traditional" in your eyes? If it has a GPU that's sitting at around 1.5TFLOPS (PS4/XBOne spec) and is getting the vast bulk of the third party games. But it also comes with a controller that has a screen in it or something similarly experimental. Would that be traditional or not?

What if the GPU is relatively underpowered, for example something closer to 800GFLOPS (2x the Wii U). Then the thing literally only supports traditional controllers. Then somehow they get a decent amount of third party support. Would that be a traditional console?

What if the hardware itself was literally identical to the PS4 in every way. The controllers were basically the same, the GPU was just as capable, it had Blu-Ray playback and the works. Boring as all hell. But third parties were for some reason not at all interested in it and Nintendo's releases were all very experimental. Would that be a traditional console?

I'd argue all of those things would be traditional consoles. I'd also argue that some combination of the three "odd" things would also be. It's clear that you wouldn't. But why? Because Sony are the only ones who are allowed to make a "traditional" console?

Edited on by skywake

skywake

@BiasedSonyFan
You have four points for this definition of yours. The first two the Wii and Wii U both met. They hooked upto your TV and used a controller that had buttons, an analogue stick and directional pads. The Wii U in particular for the controller was far more "traditional" than any Nintendo console since the SNES. Ignoring the screen the controller itself is basically just an inverted Playstation controller. Something the Gamecube and N64 controllers can't claim.

Then the last two points are about how a traditional console provides high end graphics at a reasonable price. Sorry, what? That's not even on the table. That's not a thing. That's a curve on which console makers have to compromise one vs the other. If it was a reasonable thing to say a "traditional console" should have then what does that make last gen systems? Was the 360 suddenly not a "traditional console" when it became less high end towards the end of its lifespan? There was a period where the Wii U was the most powerful console on the market. Did it stop being a "traditional console" when the PS4 launched?

And anyways, what do you expect Nintendo to say? You want them to hand out a spec sheet? And if they did what amount of TFLOPS would it require to be "a traditional console". Is it 1TFLOPS? or does it need to be closer to 2TFLOPS and beat the PS4? Or does Scorpio being a thing mean it has to get closer to 6TFLOPS?

Complete and utter nonsense. Look, it's as simple as this. The NX will be able to play Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It is therefore a traditional console. That's it.

GrailUK

@skywake Again, agreed.

When reggie says it is not about specs, it's more because of the people they are appealing to not the fact it has no specs. They are targeting a blue ocean. The moment Reggie starts talking tflops and megabits, a lot start to walk. Entertainment loses it's 'magic' when you know how it's done kinda thing.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

dtjive

@Skywake

I still think the NX is a hybrid, but not a hybrid as we first imagined. It won't be one console operating as a home and handheld, but instead it'll be two machines operating under the same architecture, thus operating the same games.

The home console version will be around PS4 level spec running games at 1080p, 60fps. The handheld will be more like Wii U spec operating games at 720p, 30 fps.

dtjive

ntdojoe

dtjive wrote:

@Skywake

I still think the NX is a hybrid, but not a hybrid as we first imagined. It won't be one console operating as a home and handheld, but instead it'll be two machines operating under the same architecture, thus operating the same games.

The home console version will be around PS4 level spec running games at 1080p, 60fps. The handheld will be more like Wii U spec operating games at 720p, 30 fps.

You're imagining pretty much the same as I do. Not a two-in-one hybrid, rather an integrated platform, consisting of a home console and a handheld, still separate devices, but working together seamlessly.

Check out my big NX concept on http://ntdojoe.wordpress.com.
Concept includes Nintendo Portable, Nintendo Ultimate, NintendOS, Miitopia, RePlay, N Cam and more.

Twitter:

skywake

@dtjive
Well in a sense I think the same thing but not in the same way exactly. I think we'll see Nintendo merge their portable and home console content in some fashion. We'll get more games that appear as the same thing on both. Which was always an inevitable thing as mobile hardware approaches the "HD era".

But I don't think it'll be all games and I don't think it'll be the same architecture. I think we'll see a portable that's something more like the 360 and with a standard def screen. So less powerful than the Wii U and probably ARM based. And there will be some content it won't be able to run. Then the NX itself will be an entirely different machine. Probably around the XBOne spec if I was to guess, likely x86 based. A third party friendly spec.

We won't see games like Breath of the Wild on the portable system and we won't see games like Pokemon on the NX. But Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, New SMB etc... I don't see any reason why those can't be "the same" across both.

Edited on by skywake

erv

Dedicated gaming hardware could exist without the tv, or any screen. Myamoto always wanted to break away from it. So whatever the next thing is, it could be radically different from any concept we know now.

Not considering it likely, but a mat on the floor for projectable space and hololens type glasses make a tv screen obsolete, for instance.

It's always funny when people start passionately disagreeing with speculation lol.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

rallydefault

Hi guys! It's been awhile. Many months, I believe. Had to take a break. Breaks are good for all involved lol

I think the bottom line is: Open yourself up to change, and let's just see what happens.

We already know, for a fact, that a "traditional" game (Breath of the Wild) is going to be on the console, so that should give you some ideas of what we may be looking at. The console will need to be powerful enough to play it, and the controller device needs to somehow allow such a "traditional" game to be played.

Those are really the only hard facts to mull over at this point.

rallydefault

skywake

@BiasedSonyFan
In terms of how the thing is actually used the Wii U controller is pretty conventional. Far more conventional than any console controller Nintendo has made since the SNES I'd argue. Think about it, what makes a modern controller? Dual analogue sticks, four shoulder buttons, d-Pad, a diamond of action buttons, start/select/home. Right? The GamePad has that. It also has a screen but so what?

I use a Classic Controller Pro on my PC for games that work better with a controller. It's literally the GamePad minus the screen. Zero issues playing games on it (why would there be?). If I could plug in my GamePad and do the same it would work just as well. Even better if I could also stream games from my PC to it. If there was an easy mod I could do to get that working I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Edited on by skywake

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic