Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,121 to 17,140 of 20,284

Grumblevolcano

The early release Rayman Legends demo got an update today, I think it fixed the docked issues. Will probably reappear on the eshop next week.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Qwertyninty

@NaviAndMii can't say I agree. Yes the WiiU was a disaster and sales failure. But Nintendo came out and delivered a console that is attracting old and NEW gamers. This is the time to jump in. "SO FAR" I don't ever remember a Nintendo console having this much success with gamers from a third party perspective. This is the time to jump in and AT LEAST announce you have games in development for the console. I applaud Activision for being there on WiiU I bought both COD games day 1 and would do they same on Switch. Switch isn't perfect by any means and there are some hurdles for publishers and developers.... But what they have done is created one of the hottest gaming products out right now. It's no excuse time for publishers.

Qwertyninty

JaxonH

December 25th, 1990. I wake up Christmas morning, and unwrap my first ever gaming console- the NES with brand new copy of MegaMan 3 and Super Mario Bros. And a GameBoy with Alleyway. Couple years later, I get a SNES for Christmas with MegaMan X and Super Mario World, and had an obsession with the DKC games. Over the next few years of elementary school, I spend the night every weekend at my friend's house, who has a Sega Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog. Fell in love instantly. Saved my allowance for a Genesis, and got a GameGear for Christmas. Nothing but Sonic all the way til 5th grade.

Then came the N64 for Christmas, along with Super Mario 64. Would go on to play F-Zero X (which I first experienced on SNES), WaveRace, 1080, SanFrancisco Rush, GoldenEye, and WWF No Mercy. Had heard of some weird new gaming console called the PlayStation, and it looked like a saucer in the magazine, so I paid it no mind. They said it was popular, but I never met anyone who owned one. I was used to reading about mystery consoles that no one owned. I'd read of the Neptune and SegaCD and 32X, the Saturn, NeoGeo... but nobody I knew owned any of these and I figured PlayStation was just another one in the group of consoles no one owned.

Then the teenage years... got a PS2. Everyone owned a PS2. EVERYONE. I rememeber those days... Grand Theft Auto Vice City was all the talk. Didn't know what a GameCube was until right before the Wii released. Would watch my brother play this game called Metroid Prime... I had never been so addicted to watching someone else play a video game in my entire life. I would literally wake up and spend 8 to 10 hours all day just watching him play. Finally went out and bought the $99 Silver GC Metroid Prime bundle with demo disc for MP2: Echoes. Only played 3 games on it. Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and F-Zero GX. And oh man, seeing F-Zero in "realistic modern day" graphics having grown up with the series... it was bliss.

Then the Wii was announced, and I saw Metroid Prime 3 and Zelda Twilight Princess. I scooped the console up like everyone else, but never really played much beyond those two games. Well, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Wii Sports, Mario Kart, couple others. Got a PS3, and PSP, but never really played either. It wasn't until 2011, after I impulse purchased a turquoise 3DS, that I actually started getting into video games a little bit. Actually got me to buy a Vita in 2012 at launch, and I played that thing all the time for the first few months. When the Wii U released later that year, I was so excited about it, and more than just in a casual way. NintendoLand and New Super Mario Bros U blew my mind. Seeing these Nintendo franchises in HD after 20 years of knowing them and playing them on standard television sets was amazing. When PS4 released a year later, I was already on board. And from there I moved on to Xbox and PC and now Switch...

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
Splatoon 2 ..... MHXX ..... Mario Kingdom Battle..... Arms

AWAITING
Fire Emblem [Switch] ..... Metroid Prime 4 [Switch] ..... Mario Odyssey [Switch] ..... Xenoblade 2 [Switch] ..... MH World [X1X] ..... Metroid Samus Returns [3DS] ..... Ni No Kuni 2 [PS4]

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

DarthNocturnal

I mostly played Nintendo for the longest time (minus the 16 bit era, where we got a Genesis. Supposedly, my brother bought into “blast processing“). I still dabbled in other consoles (mostly during visits with relatives). Branched out during the Wii era, and I'm glad I did. Nintendo is behind a lot of my favorite franchises.... but, some games will just never come to their systems (anytime soon, at least). Variety is the spice of life, etc etc.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Ya, no console has everything. And every console offers something.

I've pretty much stopped playing PS4, and I've long been done with Vita, and never was too big into Xbox. PC is from time to time.

But, there's one game that will 100% make it all worth it. Where Monster Hunter goes, I go. Wii U, 3DS, now Switch, and next year it'll be Xbox One. Even if that's the only game I play that's not on Switch next year, I'll still be happy. Consoles are a means to an end, that's all. The games are what we really care about... that said I think Switch is the one platform I actually care about the platform itself, just because it's so practical, convenient, and changes the way you game on a day to day basis. I wish all games could be on Switch, but, that's never going to happen. So I'll gladly take what comes and if I have to play a game on another console from time to time without the portability and ability to switch between, so be it.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

AWAITING
Fire Emblem [Switch] ..... Metroid Prime 4 [Switch] ..... Mario Odyssey [Switch] ..... Xenoblade 2 [Switch] ..... MH World [X1X] ..... Metroid Samus Returns [3DS] ..... Ni No Kuni 2 [PS4]

Jesus is Lord.

SKTTR

Before getting into Nintendo, I was playing mostly C64 from 1982-1992 but also spent some time with a VC-20, a Schneider CPC, an old EGA IBM PC, the arcades, the NES, Master System, and an Atari 2600.

I loved many games on all the machines I got my hands on. However, the NES with Super Mario Bros. 1 & especially 3, and Dr. Mario, and even Mario & Yoshi (these were the first and only Nintendo games available to me at the time) and they seemed to be so much more fun than most games, they seemed bigger than other games, and you just wanted to play them for hours. I know most think Mario & Yoshi is a mediocre puzzler nowadays, but I played it just as much as Dr. Mario. Nintendo's games were unique, fascinating, and addicting.

But I wanted a Sega Mega Drive because Sonic The Hedgehog. As a kid if you get the opportunity, you take the fast and cooler. I even bought the Sonic comics and then on christmas, I unwrap my present and got a Super Nintendo More Fun Set with Super Mario World, F-Zero and Super Soccer.
Well, no sign of a SEGA and Sonic, but I wasn't worried. I tried it out, and was very happy with it. It didn't take long for me to realise that this was the better present. When we went on a christmas shopping tour I also decided that I want Donkey Kong Country, Lemmings, a Super Game Boy + Donkey Kong '94 and quickly forgot about Sonic. That was one of my best christmas' as a kid, even though I didn't get what I wanted. ^^

My SNES and Game Boy collection grew and grew with mindblowing games (Zelda, Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, Starwing. Almost everything of that era that is considered a classic nowadays. I was lucky to meet someone with an adapter, who is now a good friends, and we played the greatest US imports on our PAL consoles: Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, Super Mario RPG, EVO: Search for Eden, and many more.

I'll put the rest short... from then on it was all Nintendo, day one for home consoles, and at least one version of each handheld.

Some PC, Steam, indie and mobile games can get my attention once in a while but it's nothing compared to the dedication, and work and effort I (like to) put into Nintendo's games. Over all these years owning Nintendo almost exclusively, Sony and Microsoft never appealed to me enough to have them as a secondary console next to my N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, or Switch. Sega however always did, and when I was able to buy all the Master System and Mega Drive games on Wii VC that I missed, I added all the Sonic games, Wonder Boy games, Treasure games (Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, Light Crusader, Dynamite Headdy), Landstalker, Shining Force, Gain Ground and the others I always wanted to my list. That's just one of many reasons I was happy to play on a Wii for 5 years exclusively.

However, one of the competitors could have swayed me over once, but I had no time and money.
It was the Playstation 1. A friend had one. And after playing a handful of amazing looking and really good games (Final Fantasy 7, Soul Edge, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Symphony of the Night, Suikoden) I was on the edge of getting one. But I couldn't afford it because every month one or two Triple AAA games came out for the N64.
I couldn't save enough money for the PS1 because in October '97 I had to get Starfox 64 + Rumble Pak, in November I had to get Diddy Kong Racing, extreme-G, and Bomberman 64, in December I really needed Mischief Makers and Doom 64, in January '98 there was no way around Yoshi's Story and I finally got my hands on GoldenEye (which was a bit difficult to get for a 16 year old boy in Germany at the time), in February surprise hit Tetrisphere happened, in March Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon finally arrived, in April Forsaken 64, in May Banjo-Kazooie.... it went on and on right up to the release of the Gamecube. I was always able to enjoy many different genres so even though the PS1 also had their great share of games, I never got one and always played at my friends house. I was happy with what the N64 offered until the Gamecube arrived and nothing much has changed since: the Gamecube (+GBA) offered enough until the Wii, the Wii (+DS) offered enough until the Wii U, etc.
There is one difference though going from gen to gen: bigger selections of great games, and so I have even less time to even think about getting something else next to my Switch. I have a huge backlog of unfinished Wii U and Wii games, and 3DS, and DS games, and Steam games, and mobile games.

Sorry for the wall of text.
I have a long history in gaming. ^^

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

StuTwo

I grew up playing all of the classics like Doodle Jump, Angry Birds and Jetpack Joyride and then got into emulation and played really old games like Super Mario 3 and Castlevania.

They're obviously not as good as Jetpack Joyride because I can't just spend money to get past hard levels (never made it past level 3 in Castlevania lol) but I can see why people who are old today would have liked them back in the day. Like they couldn't have watched the Transformers movies box set or Fast & Furious 13.

They probably had to watch films with live actors whereas today we have CGI recreations of dead actors which are much better because they cost more money and look better.

Anyway Nintendo is better now because Wii U emulation is in 4K now so they've joined the modern world. I don't think any other dev can match their legacy... but if Angry Birds 3 improves on number 2 even just a bit I might have to rethink that!

StuTwo

gcunit

When did this turn into the life stories thread?

JaxonH wrote:

It wasn't until 2011, after I impulse purchased a turquoise 3DS, that I actually started getting into video games a little bit.

I think you really need to re-read everything you wrote in that post and then re-evaluate that statement. Spending 8-10hrs a day watching Metroid Prime would probably meet most people's definitions of being 'into video games a little bit'

Edited on by gcunit

Right now in my head, it's all horses, horses, horses, food, and horses.

Currently playing: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Stardew Valley - Kirby Triple Deluxe - Super Mario Galaxy

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

OorWullie

I'll keep it brief.

I was born with an Atari joy-stick in my hand and have been playing games ever since.

A list of all the consoles I ever owned and in the order I owned them for no other reason than I like to list them.

Atari 2600
Spectrum 128k +2
Master System
Megadrive
Mega CD
Gameboy
Mega 32X
Saturn
N64
Dreamcast
GBA
Gamecube
Wii
DS
Wii U
Switch

Edited on by OorWullie

Switch Friend Code: SW-6101-8403-1640

Nintendo Network ID: Ar_Tee_Es

Hitokage1

StuTwo wrote:

I grew up playing all of the classics like Doodle Jump, Angry Birds and Jetpack Joyride

lolwut. Those games aren't that old.

Hitokage1

kkslider5552000

Hitokage1 wrote:

StuTwo wrote:

I grew up playing all of the classics like Doodle Jump, Angry Birds and Jetpack Joyride

lolwut. Those games aren't that old.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

antster1983

My console and handheld heritage...

ZX Spectrum +2 128K
SNES
Game Boy
Dreamcast
Game Boy Advance
GameCube
Xbox
DS (including 2 DS Lites - one of which broke when it fell out of my pocket as I was running for the bus to work)
Wii
Xbox 360
PlayStation 2
DSi XL
New 3DS XL
[aiming to get a Switch within a month]

Edited on by antster1983

antster1983

Switch Friend Code: SW-7169-0993-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: antster1983 | Twitter:

StuTwo

@Hitokage1 they're really old - I played them on the original iPhone 4s years ago.

Yeah I'd definitely put Apple right up there with Nintendo. I mean Nintendo has some Pokemon games but Apple made Pokémon Go and that's loads better because it's like the Pokémon are really in the room.

StuTwo

skywake

bitleman wrote:

Also the Wii had plenty of third party games. But those games were mostly low budget shovelwares. And now the low budget shovelwares market is on PS4 you're praising it. Weird.

I'm pretty sure when people talk about "third party support" they're not talking about the shovelware. At all. When I talk about third party support on the Wii specifically I think about games like Red Steel 2, Zack & Wiki, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter. The fact that shovelware also came along for the ride isn't really a counter point. Shovelware exists for the same reason third party support in general exists. Publishers want to make money from popular platforms.

Now in terms of the Switch? I don't expect it to be on par with the PS4 in terms of big AAA third party releases. I think anyone who does is kidding themselves. However my gut feeling is that it'll be about to gather a strange alliance of third party support. Because when push comes to shove the Switch is kinda replacing three consoles. It's kinda the successor to the Wii U, 3DS and Vita.

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

I pretty much used all the consoles growing up, one way or another. I owned the NES, SNES, Gameboys, and N64, but then switched to PS2, Xbox 360, then back to Wii U, and now I have all three. And my friends had all the other stuff along the way: Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, original Xbox (lol at that thing).

I totally fell off the Nintendo bandwagon after the N64. My little brother had a Gamecube and Wii, and just like the stereotype goes, I went through the phase of deeming Nintendo only for little kids.

I love gaming on Xbox and PS consoles; they have some really great games, some of my favorite of all time, in fact. But dang there was something special coming back to Nintendo games when I bought a DS back around 2008 and then the Wii U some years later. I kind of forgot just how fun Nintendo games are.

rallydefault

JaxonH

@gcunit
Um, it was more just a one game thing. That game intrigued my interest and there is a period of a couple weeks where I did nothing but watch him play that game, and then a few weeks where I actually played it myself... but after that I was done. You know, it's not like it is now where I'm actually playing different games and I'm doing it every day and actually into games. I've played games since I was a little kid but it was always a more casual experience. One game here or there and then forget about it for 3-4 years.

PLAYING

AWAITING

Jesus is Lord.

MegaTen

rallydefault wrote:

And my friends had all the other stuff along the way: Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, original Xbox (lol at that thing).

Heh, well the original Xbox wasn't the best-looking console. But, it is in my opinion one of the best consoles of all-time, with a vast amount of outstanding exclusives and enhanced ports plus remakes.

It felt like a worthy successor to my beloved SEGA Dreamcast in a way with lots of SEGA's titles being released on that system.

MegaTen

rallydefault

@MegaTen
Really? Ah, I wasn't a fan. I mean, you have to appreciate it for Xbox Live, though - that was truly the beginning of accessible online gaming for console players. There were games and ways to go online before it, but Live was really the first cohesive, simple system.

I was definitely more of a PS fan when the Xbox came out. There were some great games with all the SEGA stuff and Halo (obviously, but I think that was also PC?) and the Oddworld stuff. I also remember playing a Gaunlet-type game with my friends that was wicked fun with 4 players.

So yea, I wasn't the biggest fan, but I am glad Microsoft entered the hardware space to keep it a 3-horse race instead of just Sony and Nintendo.

rallydefault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic