Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 16,621 to 16,640 of 69,962

NaviAndMii

@electrolite77 Yeah, that'd make sense ..maybe they just put those ports (and left a little space) in the back of the Switch Dock to give themselves the option down the line? (I'm talking at least a couple of years from now, if not more) ..it could be that they do choose to go down the 'Switch 2' route instead - but at least they appear to have built the console in such a way so as that they have a couple of different options to choose from

I totally respect peoples' conflicting opinions on the subject, either way - it's certainly been a healthy and thought-provoking discussion!

Personally, I think the idea of an 'Expansion Pak'-type-thing could be quite attractive down the line (when the Switch has well and truly established itself, that is) - and, with a bit of careful planning and consideration, Nintendo could make it work without risking the Switch's identity - but, based on those holding the opposite view, it'd certainly be a tricky balancing act (and probably not one that'll come any time soon I imagine - if at all!)

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

gildahl

NaviAndMii wrote:

@gildahl Nintendo already has history of doing exactly that though...

The N64 had an Expansion Pak - which was (from memory) required to play the likes of Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, Majora's Mask, Conker's Bad Fur Day etc - it just helped the N64 keep up with the times a bit...

...similarly, there are certain 'New 3DS-only' games that won't run on the older 3DS hardware - which, if anything, is more extreme, as there is no possible way to run those games on the older 3DS (no Expansion Pak) - thus forcing people to buy a whole new unit just to play those games.

An Expansion Pak is a healthy proposition, I think - and certainly more consumer friendly (price wise) than forcing people to buy a whole new 'Switch 2' console in a couple of years because the original Switch is lagging behind the competition...

Yes, I understand that. Actually, several consoles have done these sorts of things. Near the end of its life the Atari 2600 had the Supercharger, the Genesis/Mega Drive had the 32X, etc. And maybe when Switch is getting long-in-the-tooth it might do well to get a final boost from a life-extender like this for a small set of going-away titles--but I don't think it's healthy to a console's ecosystem to introduce something like this early in its career as it risks confusion in the market. It's much more a business thing than a tech thing.

Edited on by gildahl

gildahl

Spoony_Tech

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/fe-explores-a-dark-nordic-for...

This looks cool and EA has now announced 2 games.

@chvage Didn't see your comment.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Therad

UmniKnight wrote:

@SKTTR It is the idea of a precedent being set. Yes, it may only be these 2 games, and if that stays the same, or just more of that, then I've said nothing, but what if Game Freak does it handheld only? What then?

Edit: Think with me for a sec, what if Game Freak, for example, limits trading to handheld only? Or some other integral feature, because they feel that Pokemon is a handheld game first and foremost? (having been on handhelds exclusively with it's main-line franchises)

Then they would probably sell less games if people would care that much about trading. I don't see a good business case to limit a game artificially to handheld. Everything except the touchscreen works in TV mode.

Therad

MFD

@Therad Agreed, but I remember reading somewhere that Game Freak was really attached to the idea of people going out and about to trade, hence why.

MFD

SKTTR

UmniKnight wrote:

@SKTTR It is the idea of a precedent being set. Yes, it may only be these 2 games, and if that stays the same, or just more of that, then I've said nothing, but what if Game Freak does it handheld only? What then?

Edit: Think with me for a sec, what if Game Freak, for example, limits trading to handheld only? Or some other integral feature, because they feel that Pokemon is a handheld game first and foremost? (having been on handhelds exclusively with it's main-line franchises)

The Pokémon main RPGs were never touchscreen-needing games. Since the new Pkmn is a game build from the ground up for Switch it will obviously run in all 3 modes. It is not a tablet, mobile, 3DS, or Wii U port that depends on a touchscreen, you don't need to be concerned.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

MFD

@SKTTR I hope you're right, I just remember, as I've said to Therad above, that Game Freak was really attached to the idea of people going out and about to enjoy Pokemon, hence handheld preference.

MFD

Haruki_NLI

@UmniKnight You can still go out and about and enjoy Pokémon on Switch.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it didn't use a touch screen and used that mantra just fine until Diamond and Pearl. And there would be nothing to gain gameplay wise from using a touchscreen beyond side modes.

So let me ask you this, would they prevent a signal being sent to your TV when playing Pokémon, because of a side mode that needs the touch screen. Or would they just be logical about it, and let you use the controls like in the past for selecting moves and menus and even to this day MOVING AROUND THE WORLD.

You really are horrified of a handheld only future, to the point you're getting so paranoid about a game, that began as a handheld only, with no touchscreen, being suddenly relegated away from a TV screen...just so it can use the touch screen.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grumblevolcano

Pokemon on Switch will probably work like MK8 Deluxe. If you want to use the touch screen for menus you can while in handheld mode but the game also works perfectly fine via button controls in both handheld and docked modes.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MegaVel91

@UmniKnight I think you're giving too little confidence to the dev team at GAME FREAK there, buddy.

MegaVel91

MFD

@BLP_Software Call me paranoid as you wish, I'll assume the worst, not be caught off guard like Monster Hunter XX did me. And, let me then ask you, why would they be "excited" about how people play the game the most? Why does that matter? Why would Game Freak even care about something so utterly pointless?

@MegaVel91 After MH, I will give nothing confidence. Remember Scalebound? Was to come out on Xbox wasn't it? We know what happened there.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

MFD

@DarthNocturnal That is true, but if developers can lock in use of either mode, then the fact remains that it can happen. I just don't think Game Freak will manage to get it done properly, considering how attached they are to their out and about game-play (As in, wouldn't surprise me if there are features locked to handheld mode)

Edited on by MFD

MFD

electrolite77

@NaviAndMii

You may well be right, mate. Those citing a potentially tricky balancing act are right given previous attempts at expanding an existing system but it's not impossible.

Personally I think as long as it is just to soup up existing games and doesn't get its own library-and happens later in Switch's life-it could happen. It just doesn't seem the most likely route IMO. It does seem with Switch Nintendo are keeping their options open though e.g. there was a patent for a supplemental, cloud-type device want there?

Edited on by electrolite77

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

MFD

@DarthNocturnal Trading, perhaps something involving movement as they have done things with that before. (Having the Switch and walking with it, they've done it with 3DS). Again, I may very well be overthinking this, and reading too much into it, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they did do something like this.

MFD

Therad

The switch doesn't have support for Street pass and are missing accelerometer and GPS for any sort of movement based trick. They could technically add Street pass, but that would tank the battery life of the switch. Maybe they lock trading to nearby systems, but is that a deal breaker for most players?

There isn't any good reason for any game to be handheld only, unless it is a touch based game of course. So while it is good to take corporations word with a grain of salt, this isn't one of those times.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Haruki_NLI

So guys. Maybe its good we didn't get MegaMan Legacy Collection 2.

Turns out it's version of MM9 is Japanese.

MFD

@Therad I suppose you're right, best to see how it all turns out.

MFD

meleebrawler

So how would one go about evolving an Inkay on a docked Switch? Tilt the controller upside down?

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Haruki_NLI

Behold, the Megaman Collection we wanted, bought from the UK PSN Store.

And its Japanese.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic