Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 16,601 to 16,620 of 69,963

NaviAndMii

@electrolite77 Me either, I must confess! I watched a video stating that the internal USB port is 3.0 (cutting edge) and the HDMI port is capable of carrying 4K - and the amount of empty space in the back of the dock leaves ample room for a pretty heft GPU expansion...I'll try and see if I can find that video a little later (got to go out now) - but I'm just going by what that guy said - I have no idea if he was right or wrong to jump to those conclusions...so I have no idea if I'm just getting carried away with 'false hype' or not!

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Ralizah

@NaviAndMii Releasing games that can only be played on the dock would fracture the user base and defeat the point of the console, which is being able to play your games anywhere. It would also encourage devs to not optimize games to run on the tablet. What you're proposing would just turn the Switch into another stationary gaming platform.

Nintendo is really emphasizing the versatility of the Switch, thankfully, so it's hard to imagine them opting for something like this.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Zyrac

@UmniKnight I do think that regardless of debate over where the console/handheld line is, the Switch is more of a successor to the Wii U than the 3DS. After all, the 3DS does a bunch of things that the Switch doesn't. That along with its popularity is why the 3DS is still around. No need to drop it when it's still making money.

I can understand if you'd rather they'd gone in a different direction. But the Switch is working out so far and many people think it's the best move Nintendo could have made. Personally, given that they weren't at all focused on power anyway, I don't see much of a problem. But I guess you just can't please everyone.

Zyrac

Twitter:

LeRaposa

I've seen people discussing the possibility of an external GPU. Really? Do you people have any idea how much that costs? External GPU's range from a couple hundred dollars to over $1000. That is not in any way a realistic idea.

LeRaposa

MFD

@Zyrac I'm not necessarily displeased with the console, but I'm very keenly aware of what sacrifices were made in the name of it's handheld component. Something that doesn't at all benefit the home-console crowd. That and the possibility of devs wanting to emphasize one of these two aspects: http://nintendoeverything.com/game-freak-excited-to-see-the-m...

I'd say that's a very dangerous thing for Game Freak to be looking for "the main way to play the Switch" which is can easily become "emphasizing that". Again, favouritism, handheld above home-console, etc.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

IceClimbers

They're definitely not releasing docked only games. It dilutes the core concept of the system far more than a couple of handheld only games that rely on the touchscreen.

Also, let's put this discussion to rest: the Switch is BOTH a handheld and a home console. Not one or the other, but both. It's a hybrid device. The successor to both the 3DS and the Wii U.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

MFD

@IceClimbers And yet, if you look at above post, they're looking for a "main way to play" a very dangerous thing indeed. Game freak might as well be putting an axe to the tree that is Switch to prepare it's splitting into 2 camps with that one. They should do well to tread lightly. Very lightly.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

NEStalgia

@electrolite77 @Nincompoop Wireless VR, ohh goodie! High bandwidth radio transmitters positioned right over our brains! All in the name of entertainment! I can hardly wait! (Now's the time to invest in neuropathic oncology related businesses and drugs!)

An external GPU only works if the USB-C on the Switch is capable of Thunderbolt 3 with eGPU support or an nVidia proprietary equivalent. Somehow given the fact that they saved a buck by dropping BT audio, that seems pretty unlikely to me. I'd guess you'd have to buy the upgraded Switch. Which means they can't make it essential. Desktop grade eGPU docks come in huge cases with tons of cooling. I really doubt it would be desktop grade if it were to exist. It would be a mobile geforce (laptop/Surface Book) variant if anything.) But its VERY VERY unlikely the bus actually supports that kind of bandwidth anyway. eGPU is just not for prime time unless it was built as a core design. We don't know for sure it wasn't, but giving the price points and cuts they made it's exceedingly unlikely.

Nintendo stuck with the same general 3DS hardware for 6 years and only now at the end of life are there some games that require the very minor bump of the n3DS (which was really bumped for menu/multitasking performance more than game performance.) I don't think Nintendo has any qualms about sticking with "very outdated low spec hardware" for long durations so long as games are selling. 3DS is still moving games into its 7th year and it was more obsolete on launch than Switch.

NEStalgia

Therad

electrolite77 wrote:

@Ralizah

I agree. I've got a PS4 Pro and it's a really nice upgrade but at £450 for the XB1X they've put it at a level where, if I was going to spend the money, I'd just flog my XB1S and PS4 Pro and spend the £800 on a PC.

Technically you get more to spend since pc doesn't have online subs. And quite frequently games are $10 or so cheaper.

Therad

IceClimbers

@UmniKnight You're reading into something that isn't there. All Game Freak said is that they're looking forward to seeing how people play Pokemon on the Switch more. That's all. There's no favoritism conspiracy theories going on here

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

MFD

@IceClimbers From one thing comes the other. The article did say where, more so then how, but the fact remains that looking for a favoured mode in the Switch is to split it in half. There should be no favoured here.

And yet that is exactly what they're doing. I can't imagine Game Freak would care to look for a "main way to play" beyond wanting to do something with it.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Therad

Nincompoop wrote:

@Therad It's more likely that Nintendo will sell a New dock with GPU built into it if they really decide to go down the external GPU path.

It will be Nvidia GPU, not the crappy AMD that PS4 and Xbox use. In 2 years time GTX 1080 will be cheap and outdated, but used as a GPU for console it will be faster than even the Xbox One X.

If the connection on the switch itself can be used for high-speed transfer. The devil is in the details. Do you have any breakdown of the pins on the switch, or are you guessing?

Therad

NaviAndMii

Like I say, I'm no expert - it just seems as though the Switch was designed with 'future-proofing' in mind...even if its just to give themselves options down the line. The memory card slot, for example, is capable of handling yet-to-be-released 2TB cards...I just can't imagine why they'd have put these high-speed connections (and ample space) in the back of the dock unless they were at least giving themselves the option of being able to utilise them down the line, somehow? Why else would they be there? ..they're hardly conveniently placed for anything other than a potential plug-in to the back of the Dock itself?

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

electrolite77

@NaviAndMii

It may we be that they can do it but, yeah, what @NEStalgia said (I almost understood it 😉 ).

Personally I'd have thought it more likely there will be a new iteration of the Switch itself using a more powerful Tegra in two or three years. Maybe the X2 will be a lot cheaper. A more powerful, but completely scaleable SOC for the main system. Existing docks still work as they currently do, as do all the existing games.

Edited on by electrolite77

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Farmboy74

While I understand the idea the of a dock expansion pack for the dock, I just cannot see it happening and like what others have said it would fracture the Switch user base. I have also got used to playing all my current games in docked or handheld mode depending the mood I'm in and whether the TV is being used or not. If a game requires the extra horse power of a dock expansion, that means I'm now tied to the dock for that particular game and unable to play in handheld mode I suspect.
I think we will eventually see a hardware revision but personally I believe that will be a Switch 2 or Pro, whatever they want to call it running the latest Nvidia Tegra chip.

Farmboy74

Ralizah

I do think we will get PSTV-esque home console model without the tablet, but it would still play all the same games as the original hybrid model.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

SKTTR

On the back of the box and the eShop page of every game it's clear to see for the consumer which setups can be used (and with how many players). Every game should aim to have all 3 methods, but ports of touchscreen-based games like Voez and Severed cannot be replicated with other controls without losing essential parts of the core gameplay, so it's fine for those games to still be played on the touchscreen only.

You see, out of 100 games, 2 are touchscreen-only games. That's only 2%.
There will be more coming that are touchscreen-only, hopefully continuing to be only games where it makes logical sense and not because of developer laziness.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

MFD

@SKTTR It is the idea of a precedent being set. Yes, it may only be these 2 games, and if that stays the same, or just more of that, then I've said nothing, but what if Game Freak does it handheld only? What then?

Edit: Think with me for a sec, what if Game Freak, for example, limits trading to handheld only? Or some other integral feature, because they feel that Pokemon is a handheld game first and foremost? (having been on handhelds exclusively with it's main-line franchises)

Edited on by MFD

MFD

chvage

Fe (from EA originals) just announced at gamescom for the Switch

chvage

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic