Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 16,581 to 16,600 of 69,981

NaviAndMii

I dunno, maybe I'm reading too much in to it....I just look in the back of my Switch Dock - and see a USB 3.0, an ultra-modern HDMI port & all that empty space - and it all screams 'Expansion Pak' future-proofing to me! ..and I, for one, would certainly be on board!

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

MFD

@NaviAndMii Agreed, and it is strange that the dock has that price, yet so little actual content inside. I wonder why that is actually..... With the pro-controller you can argue in favour of the technology inside.

MFD

Nincompoop

@Zyrac Nintendo said that Switch is first and foremost a home console, it's a home console that you can bring anywhere. Switch was meant to replace Wii U not 3DS.

Nincompoop

MFD

@Nincompoop It may be that the 3DS ends in the Switch, but since we're talking about Nintendo, the 3DS could also continue via another dedicated handheld

MFD

Davey1988

Anyone made a thin case yet that you can use and not take off before you dock want a switch but want to protect the screen without applying a screen protector

Davey1988

Zyrac

@Nincompoop "That you can bring anywhere" is the key point, and it's what the marketing emphasises. Diluting that with docked-only games would have consequences, I reckon.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Nincompoop

@Zyrac "That you can bring anywhere" is the secondary purpose, it's first purpose is to be a home console.

Nincompoop

Grumblevolcano

@Nincompoop It was only spun that way so 3DS sales wouldn't suffer, that way if the Switch flopped then at least Nintendo could backtrack and just make a HDS.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Zyrac

@Nincompoop The whole design is built around the portability aspect. That's no secondary purpose. Whether it should in fact be called a home console at all is debatable. Either way, having docked-only games would be seen by the average consumer as going back on what the hype was built around.

Zyrac

Twitter:

MFD

@Zyrac But then we can start arguing about false advertisement again, since it's marketed as a home-console, and you're basically saying it was sold around handheld hype. That would imply that home-console is mislabelled.

MFD

Therad

NaviAndMii wrote:

I dunno, maybe I'm reading too much in to it....I just look in the back of my Switch Dock - and see a USB 3.0, an ultra-modern HDMI port & all that empty space - and it all screams 'Expansion Pak' future-proofing to me! ..and I, for one, would certainly be on board!

It is a usb 2.0 according to official specs. I don't think that is good enough to drive an external GPU.

Zyrac wrote:

@Nincompoop "That you can bring anywhere" is the key point, and it's what the marketing emphasises. Diluting that with docked-only games would have consequences, I reckon.

Exactly.

If they would make an add-on, the switch would suddenly become a $400-500 ps4 clone. Not ps4 pro mind you, just PS4.

It isn't really like PS4/Pro and 3ds/new 3ds. Those are supersets, none of them change the original function. It is more like 3ds/2ds, but more invasive.

Therad

Zyrac

@UmniKnight Well, versatility hype, perhaps? Or maybe you're right, but nonetheless, people ate it up. The Switch had a good launch, and it may be unwise to undermine what was established then.

Zyrac

Twitter:

gildahl

UmniKnight wrote:

@gildahl Ahhh in that regard. True, but at the same time there's a PS4, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro, yet they can all play the same games, some just with better settings. I guess Nintendo could do that, instead of dock only, though I don't think that's what a majority of Nintendo gamers will really care about. I'm diverting the point though, but yes, it would somewhat split the base, but arguably, Voez and Severed-like games do that already.

When I say "splitting the base", I'm referring strictly to the creation of a separate line of games that requires purchase of an enhanced console to play those games at all. While Nintendo could do this, it is a risk that hasn't traditionally worked out so well for consoles in the past as it tends to create some rather vocal user alienation (What! you're making me buy this $150 device to play all the new AAA games for this system??). Much safer from a business perspective is to offer something that allows gamers to play all of their games with better settings. The neat thing here is that Nintendo could possibly do this with just an enhanced dock rather than forcing one to buy a whole new console as XBox & PS4 are doing. BTW, I don't consider Voez as splitting the user base at all as one does not need to upgrade their system to play it. It does, IMO, "dilute the experience" a bit by not offering a docked mode, but that's more the lack of a feature (akin to not supporting the Pro Controller in Snipperclips), which is more of an "oh, well" thing rather than a "what?!" thing.

Edited on by gildahl

gildahl

MFD

@Zyrac It's great that people ate it up, but as I've said before, I've paid a handsome sum to get a home-console that will succeed where the Wii-U failed, but as per your words, I've bought the future of what the 3DS is to become. So where is the Wii-U's successor then? And why does Nintendo have 2 handhelds on the market?

MFD

electrolite77

@Ralizah

I agree. I've got a PS4 Pro and it's a really nice upgrade but at £450 for the XB1X they've put it at a level where, if I was going to spend the money, I'd just flog my XB1S and PS4 Pro and spend the £800 on a PC.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

NaviAndMii

Plus, it doesn't say anything about being able to play 'Everything, Anywhere, Anytime, with Anyone' - I know I'm being pedantic there, but I could still play 'anywhere, anytime' - just not certain games...

...and Nintendo can control that central hybrid concept by ensuring that all of their first-party games can play in all modes - also, when they licence their IP to a third-party (ie. Mario+Rabbids w/ Ubisoft) they could insist on it being a hybrid game - but, if Ubi want to bring their latest Assassin's Creed game over for instance, they could have more free reign...the incentive for Ubi to aim for AC to be a 'fully-hybrid' game is that they could reach the widest possible audience - but, if they simply can't, the 'Expansion Pak' would ensure that they're not put off altogether as they can still bring it to the Switch, just in 'docked only', 'Expansion Pak required' form...

...as I say, I don't think it'd dilute the message or detract from the core concept - so long as Nintendo themselves always make their first-party content 'fully hybrid', the core games will be hybrid - anything else would just be options - expanding the flexibility and versatility of this already ultra-flexible/versatile piece of hardware!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

electrolite77

@Nincompoop

It will replace both 3DS and Wii U. It's a home Console and a handheld. I expect 3DS will get another year or so of remakes and translations before quietly being phased out.

Playstation ID - GJB77

electrolite77

@NaviAndMii

People more technical than me would know better but I'm pretty certain there's a problem with the connections that rules out either an expansion pack or a dock with extra processing in. Not sure the USB ports are quick enough.

Shame, as I originally thought the dock would add a bit of extra oomph to the system.

Playstation ID - GJB77

Nincompoop

@Therad It's more likely that Nintendo will sell a New dock with GPU built into it if they really decide to go down the external GPU path.

It will be Nvidia GPU, not the crappy AMD that PS4 and Xbox use. In 2 years time GTX 1080 will be cheap and outdated, but used as a GPU for console it will be faster than even the Xbox One X.

Nincompoop

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic