Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 16,521 to 16,540 of 69,981

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Idk, it averaged 75/100 which is not bad. That's why I was so confused over why it was getting ignored. I think the reputation that preceded it was far worse than it actually is.

But Lost Sphear looks much better, I think.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

DarkRula

@Tsurii Local multiplayer between systems can worked docked. It works well.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

StuTwo

@Ralizah I don't think we have anything to worry about in regards to JRPGs. Aside from the fact that the two biggest hitters in Japan are coming next year (Dragon Quest and Pokémon) and will establish a beachhead of a very strong install base for those games there's also something else to consider.

As the Vita and the 3DS die and with the Switch is on course to surpass the PS4 install base in Japan at some point in 2019 (it'll hit the ca. 5 million in Japan that the PS4 currently has at some point as early as next year) Switch is the obvious home of JRPGs going forwards.

Maybe even the only really viable home for those games.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Grumblevolcano

I think Xenoblade 2's potential will be determined by release date. XCX had a release date advantage with nothing big releasing near it on Nintendo consoles (holiday 2015 was mainly poorly received spinoffs for those 2 platforms, the biggest release was Smash 4 DLC). Meanwhile for this year there's Super Mario Odyssey, Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, BotW DLC 2 and probably some other huge surprises that aren't announced too.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NaviAndMii

@Nincompoop I'd be down for an external GPU accessory at some point down the line - it could open up the posibility of more 'current gen' third-party titles heading our way, which'd be great! ..the only problem I have is that it may risk developers ignoring handheld mode altogether (as the difference between handheld and docked+GPU would be that much greater) and just aiming for the maximum possible output instead - but, on the other hand, it would make the most flexible console I've ever played even more flexible - so I'd probably be all for it

EDIT: ie. I wouldn't mind certain handheld-only games (for instance, those that'd heavily rely on the touchscreen) - and I wouldn't mind certain docked-only games utilising an external GPU for an extra boost in performance...so long as there is still a healthy selection of 'fully-hybrid' games at its core - I wouldn't want that to get lost or overly-diluted one way or another..

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano Don't think there's any huge surprises coming. There might be a new Mario vs DK or a new Pushmo announced for the eShop however.

Speaking of Pushmo, do you guys think the cancelled Crashmo World will be brought back? And if they do bring it back, should they sit on it until after they've released a standard Pushmo game to ease in those that are unfamiliar with the series?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Ralizah

@JaxonH That's possible. The game, even on a visual level, just looks BLAND, though.

I might give Lost Sphear a chance if it turns out to be good.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

DiscoDriver44

Lol that Troll and I game almost looks like some kind of licensed game for a 2007 Dreamworks movie...except Dreamworks cancelled it and no one told them.

Don't know why they bothered with Switch verison since it revealed itself to be a stinker on PS4 and X-box one.

Edited on by DiscoDriver44

DiscoDriver44

JaxonH

So, Switch is out and lots of people are getting Switches. But... is anyone getting the Xbox One X? Preorders are live.

There's really not any exclusives that I'm looking forward to on Xbox at this point. MS has kind of fallen into irrelevancy, for me anyways. Cuphead looks good but, that's about it. Sony still has some exclusives I'm excited for. Ni No Kuni for example. And Shadow of the Colossus. Spider-Man, God of War... probably a couple others I'm forgetting.

What MS does have, though, is a better controller (which I love) and the best performance of multiplat games (Monster Hunter World will definitely be an Xbox One X title, and more reliable online. I like the backward compatible games also. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon without needing a 360... That's what's up.

But at the end of the day, Switch is and will continue to be my main platform. PS4, Xbone One, 3DS... these are just to catch the occasional non-Switch game that really interests me. Like Metroid Samus Returns and Monster Hunter Stories on 3DS. Or Monster Hunter World on X1X. Or Ni No Kuni on PS4. With that said, it's still definitely worth it, I think. I really don't like that feeling of missing a game I want to play.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MFD

@JaxonH I have a fairly decent computer, and even if I don't have W10, I'd rather upgrade that then buy an Xbox One X. I've only got space and power supply (without getting horribly tangled) for 1 console right now, and the Switch takes that place.

MFD

rallydefault

@JaxonH
Back when they first announced the One X, I was seriously considering it. But over the last few months, Microsoft has shown, more and more, that most of the exclusive stuff (haha yea, I know - joke all you will at that notion) will just be coming to the Windows platform in general. So... yea. My current PC is pretty slick, and pretty much functions as the strongest Xbox in the world when I plug in the controller, anyway.

No reason to buy the X, ultimately.

I think it's for people who are really turned off by PC gaming: don't wanna get into the parts cycle, don't want to play from a desk (though that is easily solved in many ways), or none of their friends play on PC (very valid point).

There are A LOT of "console only" people out there, though. Including younger kids who are much more likely to get a console from their parents, even an expensive one, than a decked-out PC. Because no matter what the PC people say, if you want to build a rig that's going to perform at or above the One X level, you're gonna have to spend around $,1000 bucks or find one heck of a sale on parts. And that could even be WITHOUT a nice gaming monitor/keyboard/mouse, which is stuff that people somehow forget about when calculating overall cost. That being said, I still think the One X will sell respectably well.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

JaxonH

@rallydefault
I've got a gaming PC hooked up to my TV right next to all my consoles. It's about on par with my PS4 or PS4 Pro.

But I just don't like having to boot it up, having to get up to turn it on, having to deal with the 4k resolution incompatibilities with context menus and certain games, needing to use a mouse sometimes when permissions Windows flash on the screen (despite controller working as a mouse, it doesn't respond for those) and ports coming later than other versions (like MH World- it's coming later to PC and I hate waiting for games I really care about- hence why I'm importing MHXX rather than waiting for a localization announcement).

I don't use the Kinect for anything really, but I do use it to turn the system on and off by voice which makes it all the more convenient. Don't need a chatpad or keyboard or mouse, don't have to deal with all those PC related issues. And physical copies of games. Love that. And games day one rather than waiting til who knows when.

I do agree about the exclusives because there's really not much I care for that's coming to Xbox in the future- honestly there's not really much on Playstation either- maybe 4 games or so I'd categorize as day one in the pipeline. And very few multiplatform games I'm excited for. But there are some. I'll grab Marvel vs Capcom Infinite when it goes on sale. There's Dragons Dogma. There's Okami HD. Seems I'm excited for more remakes and ports than actual new games (Shadow of the Colossus is my number one PS4 game I'm looking forward to). Probably because of the direction most new games are taking. All that Star Wars Battlefront/Destiny/Call of Duty just doesn't do it for me. I had some fun with Far Cry 4, but Primal couldn't hold my interest and 5 is completely off my radar now. Wolfenstein was good but, not good enough to make me care about the sequel. Assassins Creed is cool but, none of them ever hold my interest beyond a few hours.

Idk. I feel like I'm an OG gamer in a new world of gaming. Very few games seem to appeal to me anymore (aside from Nintendo-developed games- 9 times out of 10 those are exactly the kind of games I want to play). But, there are some. And if you add them all up across all the platforms- couple PS4 exclusives, one or two Xbox/PC exclusives, couple multiplat titles, couple remakes and ports... it makes for a nice little spread of games. Couple that with the Nintendo exclusives and it's enough that I can't keep up with all of it.

Edited on by JaxonH

Xyphon22

Just as a fun story that I don't know if there is a better place to put this, I saw a kid today win a Switch in one of those impossible to win game machines where you have to push the key through the hole and knock it down. I was a little ways away so I couldn't see what he was going for, then I just see this incredibly shocked look on his face. He reaches down and pulls out a Switch box. The way he was carrying it, it was clearly empty, so I watched his mother and grandmother look all over the machine for a number and spend like 15 minutes on the phone trying to figure out how they get their prize before they left. Not sure what happened, but I hope they get it.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

JaxonH

@IceClimbers
I have actually... I own it.

Haven't played too much, couple hrs at most, but it was pretty entertaining. Story was good. Combat was... brutal.

Ralizah

Nothing in the world could make me waste money on an Xbox One X. There's just nothing I like about it. The fetishistic fixation on 4K gaming. The complete lack of any real exclusives. The boring, undistinctive build (seriously, the thing is a dead ringer for my cable box!). I've never been less interested in a console.

I do hope whoever buys it enjoys it, but there is nothing about it that will ever appeal to me on almost any level as a gamer.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I actually agree with pretty much everything you said.

Buuuut.... even though I'm not fixated on 4K I do appreciate it. And in truth it does look better than the PS4 Pro (that is honest to goodness the ugliest console I've ever seen in my life, and it's staring right at me). And despite their exclusive line up being practically nonexistent going forward, there are multiplatform games that I am interested in, and would really appreciate experiencing it in the best visual fidelity possible.

I wouldn't say I'm super excited for it but, it's a nice little upgrade. Better than the PS4 Pro. When you have a 4K TV it's nice to have consoles that render in 4k, if possible.

Ralizah

@JaxonH Hmm. I guess the thing is that I play almost no multiplats, and, the few times I do, I prefer doing so on the PC, where you have full control over the presentation. PS4 Pro and Scorpio (I'll never understand why they don't keep these cool sounding code names) are fixated on 4K to the exclusion of everything else, which means games still often run at lower framerates than they would on PC.

PS4 Pro... hmm, I still think the "alien tech" aesthetic it has going for it helps it to not look terrible, but I'm not really a fan of the segmented design either. It's certainly a much less sexy looking console than my Wii U or Switch.

It really is funny how much Nintendo speaks to me as a gamer on both a hardware and software level. The Switch is pretty much everything I want in a console, which appears to be the opposite of what so much of the "hardcore gamer" crowd seems to like.

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama also, fun discovery, yes, toy can use a usb-usbc adapter to connect the hrap directly to the handheld!! If course toy can't also connect an external battery at the same time ask play time is limited to the switch battery.

BUT its game dependent. Home menu controls fine. UsfII controls fine. Sonic mania doesnt respond at all to the hrap connected direct to the tablet, but does respond is connected to the dock. But at minimum you get a portable arcade cabinet fir sfII And prolly neo geo

NEStalgia

Nincompoop

@NaviAndMii I think indie developers love the hybrid features more than bigger game companies. That's why there are so many indie games on Switch, they are all migrating from Vita to Switch. On Sony console they have to develop 2 versions: one for Vita, one for PS4. On Switch it's just one version for home console and handheld.

Big gaming companies preferred horse-power, since they have the resources to do complex graphics. I think they will be going for docked games to attain parity with PS4 and Xbox.

I think the future for Switch is this: Indie/simpler games on the go and AAA games docked. Most indie games can be hybrid except those ported from mobile that relied on touch screen.

Nincompoop

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic