Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 16,241 to 16,260 of 31,619

BigBadJohn

@OorWullie I see it as a unique solution to a unique problem. How to get chat on a console that is supposed to "Switch" seamlessly between handheld and docked quickly and easily. Having to change a plug in point between the tablet, the joycons, the pro controller when switching between modes would be cumbersome and against the consoles ethos. Yes Bluetooth could have been an option but that would also be a strain on battery life. I think it's a g wat idea and has the potential to be amazing.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Octane

Because the option to plug a headset in the Switch itself is a much neater solution. It prevents a mess of wires, another battery-powered device and the ability to still use your phone. It's neat as an option, but it's certainly not the best solution. Even if people use other services for communication because the in-game one isn't amazing, wouldn't it be cool if Nintendo actually was the first one to have a usable in-game chat program? Or maybe work together with something like Discord on the Switch.

Stages, modes, etc. could also be visible in-game (not sure if Splatoon 2 does this in an easy way).

Octane

Knuckles-Fajita

@Octane You can see future stages and more in app.

And again, that Splatoon headset is HORIs. Its got those wires so you can adjust the levels of the audio where you have both your phone and game in the headset.

The actual more elegant solution is simple. Your phone comes woth headphones. No wires to Switch. No dongle in the middle.

I do like how people are saying we could just plug into the Switch to avoid the mess of cables. While ignoring the phone options doesnt exactly have a mess of cables.

Sign up for the NL Inklings Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Tournament on June 23rd: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Therad

BLP_Software wrote:

@Octane You can see future stages and more in app.

And again, that Splatoon headset is HORIs. Its got those wires so you can adjust the levels of the audio where you have both your phone and game in the headset.

The actual more elegant solution is simple. Your phone comes woth headphones. No wires to Switch. No dongle in the middle.

I do like how people are saying we could just plug into the Switch to avoid the mess of cables. While ignoring the phone options doesnt exactly have a mess of cables.

The problem with using your existing phone headset is that you will get a distorted and/or muted game sound. This means you get a worse experience.

The app seems fine, the headset solution doesn't. I think they did this so you can chat while away from the switch, they want to create their own social media network.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

OorWullie

@BigBadJohn "a unique solution to a unique problem" I like that, that's exactly what it is.You're right about bluetooth too,it kills my battery when I have it on.I think another reason there is not a bluetooth option though is because of possible interference with the Joy-con.It wouldn't be a problem in handheld mode but playing something like ARMS in docked mode,a bluetooth headset could cause problems.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Knuckles-Fajita

@Therad You only get the game sound from the system. Im saying plug your headphones into your phone for voice chat.

Thr only way to get both into your headset is with the HORI headset. Thats it. And thats what everyone is focusing on.

Sign up for the NL Inklings Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Tournament on June 23rd: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Therad

BLP_Software wrote:

@Therad You only get the game sound from the system. Im saying plug your headphones into your phone for voice chat.

Thr only way to get both into your headset is with the HORI headset. Thats it. And thats what everyone is focusing on.

And that is why people are salty. It would have been much more simpler if the chat portion was in the switch itself, the switch could then mix both sound channels together. Either with bluetooth, or a cable into the switch directly. Now you need to buy an additional hardware mixer to solve this problem.

Take me for example, I have a nice headset for my phone so I can listen to music and podcasts at work. If I would use the app for chatting, I wouldn't hear anything from the game because the headset cancels out basically everything. Which would seriously dampen the experience of the game.

And don't forget that Apple has discontinued the 3.5 audio plug on their newer models. If others do the same, the HORI headset will be obsolete before you know it.

EDIT: just looked at the HORI headset again. The phone needs to be next to the switch because the cords are not long enough, which means you can't use the other functions in the app nor anything else on your phone. Which means you can't answer the phone either if someone is calling you. It is utterly idiotic.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Knuckles-Fajita

@Therad I wouldnt say salty.

I know many, many people who use such headsets for their consoles but use Discord. Why? Or Skype. Or TeamSpeak.

Truth be told the core gamer market, at its very core, seems to avoid built in options. I couldnt say why but they do.

And yes Apple has discontinued the 3.5mm jack. Thankfully they give you an adaptor. It was in the name of being water tight.

Doesnt explain how my phone is more water resistant and has a jack but still. Thats Apple.

Is it an inconvenience. Maybe depending on you. Is it a bad idea. No not really. It works. Its simple. And once more, everyone has their phone.

Now here's the thing. The controllers. I've used Bluetooth headsets around them and bad news, same channel and frequency. Guess what that means. Bluetooth can depending on headset be an issue. And then people complain.

People are going to complain regardless. But for the convenience of your stats and game interaction on your phone as well as always having voice chat right by you to set up for later, and as @JaxonH and myself can attest using your system on a hotspot being fantastic.

Do I have an opinion on voice chat myself? Nope. Dont use it. Never had a need to. Does this seem like a bad thing though. Again, no. Its simple, its always there.

And before you say not everyone has enough mobile data, Ive got 4gb a month. £55 a month. It aint cheap but I still do it knowing i wont go over

Therad

BLP_Software wrote:

@Therad I wouldnt say salty.

I know many, many people who use such headsets for their consoles but use Discord. Why? Or Skype. Or TeamSpeak.

Truth be told the core gamer market, at its very core, seems to avoid built in options. I couldnt say why but they do.

Probably because they game on multiple systems. But this makes it all the more baffling, why not try to do a simpler solution?

BLP_Software wrote:

And yes Apple has discontinued the 3.5mm jack. Thankfully they give you an adaptor. It was in the name of being water tight.

Doesnt explain how my phone is more water resistant and has a jack but still. Thats Apple.

The adapter has a big flaw, you can't charge your phone at the same time. And apple are trying to switch people to bluetooth. My guess is they do it to up their profit margins.

BLP_Software wrote:

Is it an inconvenience. Maybe depending on you. Is it a bad idea. No not really. It works. Its simple.

It isn't simple if you want to hear the game. This is the crux of the problem.

BLP_Software wrote:

And once more, everyone has their phone.

Do you know what every switch owner has? Even those that don't have a smartphone? A switch.

BLP_Software wrote:

Now here's the thing. The controllers. I've used Bluetooth headsets around them and bad news, same channel and frequency. Guess what that means. Bluetooth can depending on headset be an issue. And then people complain.

I frequently have my headset on me, it has never ever interfered with the games. Even when I have taken phone calls. But still, the switch has a 3.5 jack, and it has been reported it has mic in.

BLP_Software wrote:

People are going to complain regardless. But for the convenience of your stats and game interaction on your phone as well as always having voice chat right by you to set up for later, and as @JaxonH and myself can attest using your system on a hotspot being fantastic.

Now those features are nice. And it is nice to be able to use the chat outside of games. But it is still an inconvenience when you want to chat and game. But if you are using the switch in console mode with the HORI headset, you won't have access to your phone, since it must lay near the switch thanks to the short cords.

BLP_Software wrote:

Do I have an opinion on voice chat myself? Nope. Dont use it. Never had a need to. Does this seem like a bad thing though. Again, no. Its simple, its always there.

So why are you not listening to the concerns of those that actually want a voice chat?

BLP_Software wrote:

And before you say not everyone has enough mobile data, Ive got 4gb a month. £55 a month. It aint cheap but I still do it knowing i wont go over

If you can game, you can voice chat. So this would never be a problem.

I think they want the voice chat in the phone so that people download the app. It is the killer feature of the app. The obvious solution would be to offer voice chat in both the switch and the app.

Therad

JaxonH

@Therad
Actually any cords can be used. They're just standard extension cords. And I'm pretty sure you can take a call, it just ends the voice chat, and when you pull it back up after it resumes. That's my understanding.

I'm buying the Hori headset but only for the adapter to mix audio. Gonna stick with my Bose earbuds

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Hollow Knight, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
New 3DS: Radiant Historia
PS4 Pro: God of War
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Therad

JaxonH wrote:

@Therad
Actually any cords can be used. They're just standard extension cords. And I'm pretty sure you can take a call, it just ends the voice chat, and when you pull it back up after it resumes. That's my understanding.

I'm buying the Hori headset but only for the adapter to mix audio. Gonna stick with my Bose earbuds

The ones going from the adapter to the phone and switch are both fixed into the adapter. You can of course buy an extension cable to solve that problem. But my point is that their voice chat solution is more cumbersome than it needs to be.

Therad

Octane

@BLP_Software I'm not complaining about the app itself. It's great you can use it to see upcoming stages (even though I think this option could and should exist in-game as well).

Actually, Therad already explained what the problem is. If you want to listen to both the game and chat (like you would on any other console), you need to buy all this extra stuff. You've now got a Switch, a phone, a headset, a mixer and cables connecting all these devices, plus not one but two batteries to keep track of. It's not an elegant or simple solution at all. It's a solution for a problem Nintendo themselves created. Why not allow users to choose how they want to voice chat? Why not give them the option to do it through the console? Headset in Switch. Done. That's a simple solution to voice chat.

On top of that, you're also not excluding anyone with a Windows phone, or anyone without a smart phone at all. Newest models of HTC and other brands don't even come with a headphone jack anymore and use USB-C. Or are we suggesting those people should use another adapter?

So yeah, let's not pretend this is a simple solution.

Octane

skywake

It's not elegant at all but it doesn't bother me because I always mute everyone anyways

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

@NEStalgia
4k not expected to grow "all that rapidly"?? "the theater enthusiast crowd is early adopting"?? Dude, it's 2017, not 2014 anymore. 4k is taking off. You can get a decent 55-inch 4k set for around 700 bucks, less on sale. MUCH less if you want to go smaller than 55-inch. These things don't cost 1,000+ dollars anymore, not even near it.

All of Netflix's recent original stuff is available in 4k now. Ultra Blu-Rays are being made for many, many popular movies. And Microsoft and Sony are finally dipping their toes into what-will-soon-be the present base level of entertainment spec.

You guys can put your blinders on as much as you want, but you're fools if you're unwilling to see the forest for the trees.

rallydefault

Azooooz

@rallydefault Game developers will have a higher chance to go bankrupt. Nowadays, game developing isn't cheap because of advancing technology, and 4K gaming is no different. More resources = higher development cost. If that game fails, then so does the developers.

"Knowing your enemy is the key to victory" Snake - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

"Knowing your stomach is the key to end hunger" Azooooz - Nintendo Life

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

NaviAndMii

@rallydefault Hmm...you sound like you're talking more in hope than expectation. HD is the industry standard - the basic & most popular format. 4K...isn't. What happens when 8K hits the market? Do you expect 4K to become the norm? ..it won't. HD will remain, 4K will become obsolete & 8K will take over the high-end market. Unless the average TV channel becomes '4K+ only', forcing people to upgrade to a new minimum standard, it'll remain niche. For something to become the new standard, it takes Governments to convince entire populations to upgrade (each time with diminishing gains) - and that kind of thing has only happened twice since the TV was invented (B&W to CRT, CRT to digital/HD)...I doubt there is any appetite to discard HD any time soon - and even less appetite to make the soon-to-be-surpassed 4K the new standard - it just isn't going to happen.

That's the wood and the tree's I'm afraid...

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Events | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Snaplocket

@Azooooz I think you're exaggerating the costs. I mean yeah, it costs a lot of money, but with the right mindset you can easily manage a small enough budget that you can make a really good high class game that doesn't have to sell gangbusters to be a success. Just look at Nintendo. Despite the Wii U's critical failure they made a good deal of money thanks to the game sales and them managing to keep the budget from going to high. There's no reason other developer's can't do that.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic