Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 16,221 to 16,240 of 69,987

gcunit

When did this turn into the life stories thread?

JaxonH wrote:

It wasn't until 2011, after I impulse purchased a turquoise 3DS, that I actually started getting into video games a little bit.

I think you really need to re-read everything you wrote in that post and then re-evaluate that statement. Spending 8-10hrs a day watching Metroid Prime would probably meet most people's definitions of being 'into video games a little bit'

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

OorWullie

I'll keep it brief.

I was born with an Atari joy-stick in my hand and have been playing games ever since.

A list of all the consoles I ever owned and in the order I owned them for no other reason than I like to list them.

Atari 2600
Spectrum 128k +2
Master System
Megadrive
Mega CD
Gameboy
Mega 32X
Saturn
N64
Dreamcast
GBA
Gamecube
Wii
DS
Wii U
Switch

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

KAI_MIDORIKAWA

StuTwo wrote:

I grew up playing all of the classics like Doodle Jump, Angry Birds and Jetpack Joyride

lolwut. Those games aren't that old.

antster1983

My console and handheld heritage...

ZX Spectrum +2 128K
SNES
Game Boy
Dreamcast
Game Boy Advance
GameCube
Xbox
DS (including 2 DS Lites - one of which broke when it fell out of my pocket as I was running for the bus to work)
Wii
Xbox 360
PlayStation 2
DSi XL
New 3DS XL
[aiming to get a Switch within a month]

Edited on by antster1983

antster1983

Switch Friend Code: SW-7169-0993-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: antster1983 | Twitter:

StuTwo

@Hitokage1 they're really old - I played them on the original iPhone 4s years ago.

Yeah I'd definitely put Apple right up there with Nintendo. I mean Nintendo has some Pokemon games but Apple made Pokémon Go and that's loads better because it's like the Pokémon are really in the room.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

skywake

bitleman wrote:

Also the Wii had plenty of third party games. But those games were mostly low budget shovelwares. And now the low budget shovelwares market is on PS4 you're praising it. Weird.

I'm pretty sure when people talk about "third party support" they're not talking about the shovelware. At all. When I talk about third party support on the Wii specifically I think about games like Red Steel 2, Zack & Wiki, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter. The fact that shovelware also came along for the ride isn't really a counter point. Shovelware exists for the same reason third party support in general exists. Publishers want to make money from popular platforms.

Now in terms of the Switch? I don't expect it to be on par with the PS4 in terms of big AAA third party releases. I think anyone who does is kidding themselves. However my gut feeling is that it'll be about to gather a strange alliance of third party support. Because when push comes to shove the Switch is kinda replacing three consoles. It's kinda the successor to the Wii U, 3DS and Vita.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

I pretty much used all the consoles growing up, one way or another. I owned the NES, SNES, Gameboys, and N64, but then switched to PS2, Xbox 360, then back to Wii U, and now I have all three. And my friends had all the other stuff along the way: Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, original Xbox (lol at that thing).

I totally fell off the Nintendo bandwagon after the N64. My little brother had a Gamecube and Wii, and just like the stereotype goes, I went through the phase of deeming Nintendo only for little kids.

I love gaming on Xbox and PS consoles; they have some really great games, some of my favorite of all time, in fact. But dang there was something special coming back to Nintendo games when I bought a DS back around 2008 and then the Wii U some years later. I kind of forgot just how fun Nintendo games are.

rallydefault

JaxonH

@gcunit
Um, it was more just a one game thing. That game intrigued my interest and there is a period of a couple weeks where I did nothing but watch him play that game, and then a few weeks where I actually played it myself... but after that I was done. You know, it's not like it is now where I'm actually playing different games and I'm doing it every day and actually into games. I've played games since I was a little kid but it was always a more casual experience. One game here or there and then forget about it for 3-4 years.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

@MegaTen
Really? Ah, I wasn't a fan. I mean, you have to appreciate it for Xbox Live, though - that was truly the beginning of accessible online gaming for console players. There were games and ways to go online before it, but Live was really the first cohesive, simple system.

I was definitely more of a PS fan when the Xbox came out. There were some great games with all the SEGA stuff and Halo (obviously, but I think that was also PC?) and the Oddworld stuff. I also remember playing a Gaunlet-type game with my friends that was wicked fun with 4 players.

So yea, I wasn't the biggest fan, but I am glad Microsoft entered the hardware space to keep it a 3-horse race instead of just Sony and Nintendo.

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@SLIGEACH_EIRE That is exactly what I thought would be the case, FIFA 18 will flop on Switch and then EA abandons the platform just like in previous gens.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

antster1983

Another game confirmed for Switch - 2D platformer Mecho Tales, to come out along with PS4 and PS Vita versions later in the year.

antster1983

Switch Friend Code: SW-7169-0993-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: antster1983 | Twitter:

Azooooz

@SLIGEACH_EIRE I like how you bolded the headline to show the importance of this article.

Don't worry, if the Switch version has Ultimate Team, then it will sell.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

OorWullie

To be fair he does say

"testing it out with big things like FIFA – and maybe a couple of others, we’ll see – and if they go well, I see no reason why we shouldn’t have as much of our portfolio on that platform as possible. I hope we get there, that would be my personal ambition.”

Personally, I think FIFA is going to do rather well. If it reviews well then it will be a console seller for some.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

GrailUK

Does animation that is basically just sprite rotation and 'wobble' have a name? I'm not really a fan if I'm honest :/

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
There's only been one generation EA abandoned Nintendo, and that was Wii U after releasing 4 games on it. And those games didn't sell. So... it's only natural they stopped bringing games. Almost all 3rd parties abandoned Wii U, not just EA. Because no one's games were selling (even the 10/10 Bayonetta 2 with a free copy of Bayonetta tossed in with exclusive Nintendo content barely scraped by to a million- most other games were not as fortunate).

I seriously doubt EA is going to "abandon Switch" over FIFA. Obviously it needs to do better than some of their Wii U games did with a 5 mil install base, but they're not gonna expect a 50% attach rate. But regardless of FIFA, as long as Switch keeps selling they'll find something to bring to the table. They may be ruthless and greedy but they're not stupid. And if sports aren't the thing people want, maybe racing is. Maybe 7th gen ports are. Or, maybe FIFA does do well. Seems every other 3rd party game is exceeding expectations...

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic