Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 15,801 to 15,820 of 69,981

Haruki_NLI

@Octane I think one of the big aspects of that is ARMS is a new IP.

Street Fighter V...is Street Fighter FIVE. Look at 4. Look what came as standard. Then look at 5. Quite frankly that'd be like any multiplayer focused game launching with significantly less content than its base predecessor.

My biggest take away from this though, is the SF brand clearly isn't as strong as it may have once been (Before my time so I don't know). But only hitting 1.7m across both PS4 and PC where it was pushed heavily? Maybe it came too soon after Ultra 4?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@DarthNocturnal I don't think so... You could buy skins. But any DLC character could also be unlocked with in-game money which you can earn by leveling up characters and winning matches.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@IceClimbers What about Ultimate MvCI?

But seriously aside from the lackluster roster and hokey plot...it doesnt look good...

IceClimbers

@BLP_Software Agreed. Whatever hype there was for the game vanished with the Dragon Ball FighterZ announcement

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Zyrac

Funny thing about Street Fighter V is that it has a huge competitive scene but comparitively lackluster sales. Of course, appealing only to the hardcore crowd is a problem many fighters have. ARMS, meanwhile, is a much less intimidating game to get into.

Edited on by Zyrac

Zyrac

Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

@SLIGEACH_EIRE We've seen how they plan to support Switch. Any collection thatd be great here for a decent price? Nope. One game higher price.

Sad part? If we didnt buy USF2 they would walk away.

If we did, we at least had a slight if infinitely small possibility that we would get stuff other than classics for £35.

Whats more baffling is a point made by USGamer.

Monster Hunter World is for home consoles. One of which is only just at 5m in Japan. They want Monster Hunter to do better globally. So they just spent more money than they would on 3DS or Switch to make a console game that sold better in the West on handhelds, and will have a significantly smaller Japanese potential install base where the series does best anyway.

The game has an inherently limited reach in Japan, and its going away from the handhelds that made it prominent in the West in the first place. To boot, the costs will be higher so they will need to sell more.

And after how RE7 and SFV limped along? What part of Capcom is making smart decisions right now?

IceClimbers

@SLIGEACH_EIRE This would've been planned before they greenlit further Switch support.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

skywake

NaviAndMii wrote:

Just for comparison, Breath of the Wild has so far sold 4.13 million copies worldwide on Switch and WiiU combined (3.07 million on Switch) ..it'd be a tall order for Mario Odyssey to reach 12 million any time soon - especially as limited supply means that 'only' 4.26 million Switch's have been sold globally so far - people won't buy games for a console that they don't/can't own!

It is worth pointing out a couple of differences between BotW now and SMO in this prediction.

For one thing the install base will be significantly different. Pachter made this prediction alongside a prediction that the Switch will easily meet it's target of 10mill units this fiscal year. In other words he's predicting sales for the game based on an assumption that the install base by mid-next year will be at least 15mill. If you think that's insane? Well remember that the Switch is already selling at this rate with supply constraints. IMO this part of his prediction is super conservative and he knows it

The second difference is that the period of sales we're talking about includes Christmas. Walking into your Christmas shopping if you're buying a Switch for someone Super Mario Odyssey is going to be more recent in your mind than BotW. Especially if the person you're buying it for played BotW on Wii U. I don't think it's at all crazy to think that Super Mario Odyssey will be the best selling Switch game during that period. People are going to be buying Mario with their Switch, people with a Switch are also going to be buying it.

The last thing I'd point out is that the numbers for BotW on VGChartz are for 15 weeks on shelves. Pachter's prediction for 12mill sales for Super Mario Odyssey were over a 35 week period. And in any case it's not like game sales are linear, most games sell the best in the first week or so. Take a look at Super Mario 3D Land for example which has had lifetime sales of 11mill:
Untitled

Sure Pacther's prediction is a bit insane but it's not quite as crazy as people are making it out to be. I think it's probably going to do closer to 7mill during that period. If it does move 12mill? You'd expect lifetime sales to be something around 20mill. Which is pretty high but still very much in the ballpark for what a flagship game on a well performing Nintendo platform sells.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Reginald

NaviAndMii wrote:

people won't buy games for a console that they don't/can't own!

False. People in fact have done this - with the intention that they'll already have their copy by the time they do get a Switch. IIRC, I believe it was reported that BotW sold far more copies than Switches at launch.

Reginald

Aaron00

Yes that's true. In fact, many people in Japan admitted they bought Splatoon 2 before they got their Switch. (Some are probably still looking) @Reginald

Aaron00

skywake

I don't think there will be many people buying Super Mario Odyssey who don't own a Switch. The Switch supply issues as they are now are not going to resemble what the Switch is like a year from now. To put Pachter's prediction or the 3DS at that same stage as his prediction it was:

17mill 3DS' sold
6mill copies of Super Mario 3D Land

He's predicting 15+ and 12 for a similar set of metrics on the Switch. But it's worth noting that at this stage the 3DS had sold about half as many units as the Switch currently has. The Switch has also already proven itself to have a fanbase who are pretty willing to pick up games for it. Arms, Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 became million sellers in the blink of an eye.

I think he's right to be optimistic just maybe not quite that optimistic

Edited on by skywake

Therad

I don't think we will ever see a 3d Mario overtake Mario kart. The overall order of sales have been kart > 2d Mario > 3d Mario > Zelda. The only exception was 2d and 3d Mario switching places on the 3ds.

Of course, it might be different on the switch. I can see botw overtaking 3d Mario for example. But I think kart will stay in the top since it is such an accessible game, few games can be played from 3 years and up.

Therad

Eric258

I don't know if this is the right forum to talk about it or if I should have created a new one but I've recently run into some issues with my joycon. For some reason, when I'm on the switch UI, it registers as me holding down the left stick in a downward direction (obviously causing it to always move constantly downwards). It's strange as it seems to only occur when in the UI and doesn't happen in any of the games. I've also noticed issues with my right joycon as it seem like it would be on the firtz during Mario Kart (where it seemed like it was thinking that I was still holding down the 'B' button or reversing/braking). I've tried restarting it, turning it off and on and disconnected and reconnected the joycon yet nothing seems to fix it. Any ideas?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2601-9990-4610
Super Mario Run Friend Code: 1391-4403-4742
Fire Emblem Heroes Friend Code: 1332698932
Twitter: @Eric258kip

StuTwo

@IceClimbers Capcom: striking when the iron has frozen over...

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

gcunit

The same week Overcooked launches on Switch at £18 I see it's on PSN for less than £7...

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

skywake

@Therad
Yeah I'm not really sure whether or not the Switch user base will be "typical" in that way. You're right that that's typically how those games rank but how close they are to each other varies dramatically. For example the gap between Zelda and Mario Kart was huge on the Wii but was almost non-existent on Gamecube.

I think it really just depends on what kind of consumer buys the console. I have a feeling that the Switch audience might be slightly different than the audience for previous Nintendo consoles. It's not the casual gamer party-box that the Wii was and it's not a cheap portable machine like the 3DS/DS was. It's also not a machine that only appeals to Nintendo fans like Gamecube or Wii U.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Odyssey's sales are very, very close behind Mario Kart. And for a Nintendo system that's going to have Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Metroid, Pokemon and is at the same time picking up the Vita's baton as "portable indie games machine"? I'm not sure how many of the usual rules apply

Edited on by skywake

OorWullie

@Eric258 Have you tried re-syncing the Joy-con?Hold the sync button down for a couple of seconds.Not sure if this will help but I read on the Nintendo support site that to fully power off the Switch for a restart,you need to disconnect all the cables,including from the TV and leave it for a few minutes then power it back on with the Joy-con attached.I don't understand how disconnecting from the TV will make a difference but that's what it said,Hope you get it sorted .

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Octane

@BLP_Software RE7 is hardly limping along though. The game sold 3.5 million units in about two months. They expect the game to sell another 2 million this fiscal year and I believe they even had hopes for 10 million lifetime sales. That's pretty good all things considered. Especially for a horror game.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic