Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 13,701 to 13,720 of 69,993

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Switch sales this week in Japan are similar to last week.

NintendoSwitch - 27.146(last week, 26.114)

Total sales - 903.135

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Spoony_Tech

@SLIGEACH_EIRE I wonder if that includes all those MH system preorders? I guess it would only be sales but I'm curious as to how many of those they had.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

@Aaron09 They had a article up a couple days ago saying they sold out in about 90 minutes on Capcoms website.

Sorry, 100 minutes.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/05/monster_hunter_xx_sw...

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@Captain_Toad " it needed to be modernized so that it would be more direct and simple."
Why is it everything "modern" is a return to crude bare bones emptiness. Minimalism has pervaded almost everything. It's all very dystopian. Colorless simple line art replacing anything more complex has replaced almost everything. It feels like we're one "modernization" away from having our names replaced with serialized numbers tattooed as a bar code on our foreheads. Streamlined efficiency is the entire visual language of everything now.

Also interesting that it represents their shift of focus to "live and digital games"......bye bye Ubisoft retail single player games? They hinted at that years ago. that the costs of AAA games means a greater focus on one or two IPS as permanent worlds. Yuck. I'm starting to love indie more and more as it replaces what the commercial products used to be. They're so deep in debt from the graphics budgets that they're stuck with these "very big" online games that feature endless repetition in place of variety, and then small digital downloads for their actual creative games.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal LOL I cracked up with that that is truly priceless.

Minimalism and "delusions of a drug-addled creative mind and the corporations that try to emulate it" may perhaps be synonyms.

NEStalgia

Captain_Toad

NEStalgia wrote:

@Captain_Toad It feels like we're one "modernization" away from having our names replaced with serialized numbers tattooed as a bar code on our foreheads.

Yuck, that's a future I don't want.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

MarcelRguez

@DarthNocturnal Friendly reminder that most of the artistic movements that emerged during the 20th C. are extremely self-reflective in nature and are more often than not a counter-reaction to another movement born of an opposite ethos. They are usually a byproduct of whichever conversation about aesthetics in the arts was being held at the time of their production, and are as such much more relevant to any conversation about aesthetics today than whatever pedestrian pastoral landscape you had in mind when you decided to put the word paintings in quotes.

That said, I like the new Ubi logo.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Ralizah

I think people like the clean lines and emphasis on simplistic design principles. It's doing less with more.

Do have to say, the Switch's minimalistic UI is a big winner for me so far.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

MarcelRguez

@DarthNocturnal And there's a lot that can be expressed through that. I'm hardly an expert on contemporary art, but you don't have to have to be in order to come up with why it could have been relevant at some point. For example, the idea that a mass-produced object with no redeeming qualities gains a completely different status from any other blue box by virtue of being linked to a relevant name and placed in a museum, Duchamp-style. That tells us something about the social consideration of art, even if it's ancient history at this point in time. If you're puzzled by that, you are almost 150 years behind in this discussion, I'm afraid to tell you.

MarcelRguez

Haruki_NLI

Is this all because Ubisoft had a logo change?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

MarcelRguez

@DarthNocturnal If you understand that absurdity, then you're getting it. Absurdity is a very modernist trait, there's a crapload of absurd stuff in that period. It's also very cerebral and reactive, so it's much easier to understand that it might seem at first glance. My example in particular has become such an obvious statement to make nowadays that it has permuted into that "modern (read: contemporary/postmodern) art has no meaning" mentality, as if this huge umbrella term hadn't moved an inch since the interwars period.

Still, if a significant part of the population would call it a "painting", maybe the notion of art being entirely self-reflective in meaning hasn't sink in enough yet, sadly.

MarcelRguez

Ralizah

DarthNocturnal wrote:

MarcelRguez wrote:

For example, the idea that a mass-produced object with no redeeming qualities gains a completely different status from any other blue box by virtue of being linked to a relevant name and placed in a museum, Duchamp-style.

That's pretty much why I think it's absurd and called it a “painting“.

Or maybe I still don't “get it“. But I feel this is one case where I'm OK with that. I'm not the artsy type.

I don't think you need to be "artsy" to recognize when the emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah The Switch UI is perfect. It can be considered minimalist, but I consider it to not be attempting to be artful at all. It's a utilitarian tool. A switchboard. A dial pad. It's something to toggle machine settings and launch games. I don't need a stylish screwdriver, I just need one with a straight blade. iOS on the other hand is aiming to be "stylish through minimalism" as opposed to being utilitarian. Of course, it's Apple, that's their market, but still. Then Microsoft followed suit (though Win10/X1 is the most cluttered minimalist creation I've ever seen) But branding, logos, etc, have decided "stark white and bare bones" is the modern design language.

But it goes back further. Look at architecture and retail spaces. Think of 80's malls when neon and color, and clashing styles were all the rage. Leftover bits of the edges and angles of Art Deco, the earth tones of the 70's etc. Then in the 90's the revamped them. They all became straight lines, high arches, and colored in shades of white. Everything became hospital-like uniformity. Mass manufactured homogenization of all things into simple basic bare bones standardized formats. It's an industrial efficiency where everything is "unique just like everything else"....that it's happening across the board in architecture, art, corporate, tool/interface designs screams of a lack of creativity.

I'm not a high style person. I prefer natural tones to everything. Understated/classic everything. But it's a disturbing trend in that it's raw efficiency prized over all else now like the whole world is just a giant factory.

@MarcelRguez We get it. A bunch of snobby artists were fed up with the direction of art in their day and decided to, artistically, flip the academics the bird. Then somewhere along the way, the academics, being so self absorbed in their own philosophical debates, and eternal "right-ness", missed the fact they were being flipped the framed bird, and instead held up what they were being shown as the NEW direction of self expression, and evolved an entire study behind interpreting the meanings of expression behind this new format and spawning career-length studies in the field, because they were just too darn dense to realize they'd merely been flipped off.

Am I getting warmer?

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I can't say I've noticed the same nightmarish progression toward an all-encompassing colorless uniformity, but I appreciate your passionate feelings about the subject. Then again, I live out in the country, where the past and a sense of history is palpable almost everywhere I look. Certainly, modern design trends are a change from the garish character of... well, everything in the 80's, but, like anything else, they'll give way to new, most likely reactionary design styles as the years go by.

On the subject of philosophy, I studied that in college for years (focus on philosophy of religion and existentialism), and informally studied the subject in high school as well. What I felt most intensely was a massive inferiority complex from the people I met who worked in the field. Also got that sense from a lot of modern commentaries and critiques on other cultural figures.

Joeynator3000

buys World of Goo, plays it on TV
Untitled
...Welp, looks like I can't play this game on the big screen anymore...GET OUT OF THE WAY SANYA! xD

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic