Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 13,161 to 13,180 of 69,991

StuTwo

Peek-a-boo wrote:

@StuTwo Hmmm, did we just conclude a debate in a surprisingly respectable manner?

That isn't supposed to happen on the internet, dontcha know!

Hey it can happen! So long as I read interesting things, food for thought etc. I'm happy to be challenged (and even proven outright wrong - as happens every now and then). The world would definitely be a duller place if everyone were exactly the same as me. Not to mention nothing would ever get done.

Plus being unreasonable on the internet is as pointless an exercise as it is ubiquitous.

@NEStalgia I understand that Peter Moore has now gone (oddly he's now CEO at Liverpool). Otherwise it's a good synopsis of EA. They're obviously not evil but their destiny is so tightly bonded to that of Microsoft and their (largely joint) vision for the industry is, in my opinion, so depressing.

I don't expect much of anything out of them on a Nintendo platform - even one that might be very successful like the Switch. They'll have just enough that they've got an iron in the Switch fire but no more and they'll have no problems with undermining the platform if it suits their purposes.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

NEStalgia

@StuTwo Wow, I had never even heard about the switchover to Wilson, last I checked he was still running Sports. Well, that sticks another mismanagement feather in their cap. Why would you replace on guy from the Sports division without enough knowledge of the moving parts, to ANOTHER guy from the Sports division who's even greener at the company and was mostly involved in the Asia market?!?

Of course Probst STILL has not been forced off the board, only because he owns so much stock (tank the company deep into debt to the point it's barely stable all in a matter of a few years....buy all the stock while it's worthless, then abdicate leadership....if I didn't know better one could think that's an intentional strategy....<grin>) so the guy who nearly tanked them still has pull over executive hiring....I suppose we should be glad they're only going for inexperienced rather than "new vision" leaders now! He might not be involved in the day to day, but the poison that once tainted the well is still all over the dipping bucket.

But absolutely agreed about their destiny being inextricable from MS at this point. They became an MS second party more or less, in part because they needed to at the time. It's a strategy that's backfiring though. That sounded great during the X360 when Sony wet the bed with PS3's debut. Now that XBox is clearly waning in influence, I doubt they're happy being so tied to them. Both companies bet the bank on the notion of ever higher spending for ever higher production value, SaaS, and the idea that games could replace cinema. While recent surveys show they were not incorrect, they were able to help push the market to desire that end, the trouble is that the earnings don't necessarily outpace the increase in costs, while XBox still spirals down into ever greater debt. They can offset the debt (for now) from other divisions. EA can not.

NEStalgia

GrailUK

@StuTwo Nothing odd about Peter Moore being CEO of Liverpool FC. He's from Liverpool and his office was a mini Anfield! The man has literally got his dream job!!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

NEStalgia

@Whitewatermoose Activision's situation is a bit different from EA's. EA was mismanaged and gutted from the inside out into a debt sink and "restored" by people with a very different view of what it should be doing than what it was doing. It's not really the shareholders that are forcing them to make over-budget games but an internal strategy to act as a Hollywood studio. To make matters worse the biggest shareholder is the guy who gutted the company into a debt sink to begin with. Who also still is the chairman. They have a mismanagement problem, or rather, had one that lingers on and on and never found the right person to right it so they're committed to the path that said mismanagement placed them on.

Activision is a victim from the outside. Hostilely taken over by Vivendi, gutted not by accidental mismanagement and poor direction but intentionally extracted of every penny they could be excavated for to bail out the foundering leech of a company that bought them for the sole purpose of excavating them. The finally threw off those shackles and their CEO is practically a hero managing to resuscitate the near-death company and make it healthy again after the state they were left in. Yeah they have fewer games but they're operating from a position of necessary austerity. I actually expect Activision's getting close to a point where they can start investing in riskier propositions again soon. EA will never be in that position without more experienced leadership. Wilson, nice guy though he seems to be, is not that leader.

The leech that sought to consume Activision is the one now gunning for Ubisoft with the exact same stated goal, to bleed them dry as completely as possible to save their own failing company.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

Ubisoft needs to fend it off. They're the last of the major 3rd party power publishers that is still run by its founders- people who live, breath, and love video games.

This is why I wish people would get past their personal grudges with Ubisoft- because they're a good company, with good people, and talented developers, and despite having to make hard calls sometimes as a business, they do truly care and make a commendable effort in supporting Nintendo, and thus supporting us.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Spoony_Tech

@JaxonH I'm with you on that but ill just sit back and watch the comments fly about UBISoft.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

NaviAndMii

The way Ubisoft handled the launch of Assassin's Creed Unity was unforgivable...

• They knowingly released a broken game
  • They placed embargo's on review sites to prevent them from warning people
  • They didn't warn people that the game would require a day 1 patch
  • The day 1 patch didn't fix the game
  • The big new feature they advertised, co-op, was absent

They were responsible for one of gaming's darkest days - an absolute scandal - corporate evil of the highest order...

Don't even get me started on the money-grabbing, unbalanced micro-transactions they like to use in their games!

Good people?! ...pfft!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

KirbyTheVampire

I don't think it's an accident that Ubisoft has such a bad reputation, lol.

KirbyTheVampire

TuVictus

Yeah there are definitely reasons people are wary of them.

TuVictus

rallydefault

Well, it's that balance you have to remember with any company. All companies are full of "good" and "bad" people, and realistically, the only information we have to use as judgment for or against are the products they release. And yea... they haven't exactly been considerate of the consumer in a lot of regards lately, so that doesn't cast such a great light.

I think a lot of people overlook some of their really good smaller games, though. Like Child of Light and the Anno and Heroes games on PC are pretty fantastic. But the bigger games (with bigger problems) will always grab more news.

rallydefault

skywake

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

@skywake

Which is why all of these retail and digital launch games are raking in the sales like Mario Kart, Zelda, 1-2-Switch. It's also why these other launch games continue to remain on the top-20 software sales list in Japan. I'll go even futher and agree with the people who said that the Switch and Zelda only sold well because people don't have much else to play right now during the post-holiday season, when FPS and the most popular AAA video games are released.

You're lacking evidence for your claim.

"You're lacking evidence" said the person who just outlined the evidence

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Spoony_Tech

@Nintenerdguy Nintendo has 65 million reasons why. They'd be stupid not to but I really hope the Switch gets one too.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

skywake

@Nintenerdguy
3DS is probably more likely simply because it'd require less effort. But I think a Switch release is very possible and would definitely make bigger waves.

skywake

@BiasedSonyFan
Wii Play: 29mill
Wii Party: 8mill

OoT 3D: 5mill
MM 3D: 2.5mill

Wave Race 64: 3mill
1080 snowboarding: 2mill

WarioWare touched: 2.3mill
WarioWare DIY: 600K

skywake

@BiasedSonyFan
I'm not sure you even remember what my point was. All I said was that games that appear on a platform early enjoy a sales boost due to the lack of competition. 1-2 Switch is one such game. Therefore it is selling better than it would have done later on.

I never said that games that come out later can't sell. I never said that launch games only sell because of the sales boost. I said it was a contributing factor to decent sales. Limited options at launch funnel consumers into a small number of releases. Inevitably that means some people are buying games they otherwise would not have. It's not complicated, I don't understand why you are so adamant I'm wrong.

And I'm not sure why you're randomly listing early games. Yes, Luigi's Mansion, New SMB and Wave Race enjoyed that boost also. What's your point there?

kkslider5552000

So BiasedSonyFan is arguing against things no one here said or against factual gaming trends. I'm not sure which. If you're gonna be wrong, at least let me know in what we plz. Thx, love you. : 3

Also, I really would like to play recent Kirby games, but because of limited time and more games existed, those Kirby games have not gotten my money yet. If one of those games was an early 3DS game, I would probably have it as it wouldn't have to compete. Apparently by saying this, I am clearly saying fans of recent Kirby games were forced to buy a Kirby game.

I mean, it had Pilotwings Resort. It's ok but like would have I gotten that over 3d Land or Kid Icarus? Hahahaha no but I wanted something for my new handheld. What, do you want me to get Rayman 2 again? Risk getting a game in a genre I don't like (Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, which to be fair I did take the chance to get eventuallyand did like more than any Fire Emblem game, so I lucked out in the end!). I'm not into Street Fighter, stop. That submarine game seemed boring. At least Pilotwings Resort was a revival of a beloved series and I really liked that flying part of Wii Sports Resort. Seemed like a good game to test 3D in general for (it isn't, like most games on classic 3DS). I mean, do want me to be stuck with Monkey Ball 3d? I gave it a chance despite reviews, it was not worth the money. I did my best for both games but eventually I replayed the entirety of TWEWY (which I hadn't beaten on my first playthrough tbh), and thank god. Otherwise I would've been stuck with NES games because 3DS' launch was so bad they had to reduce the price to THE FOLLOWUP SYSTEM TO THE MOST SUCCESSFUL DEDICATED GAMING SYSTEM IN HISTORY in like 3 months.

i also gave metroid other m a chance despite reviews, i was just proven wrong to doubt them. THE CHANCE YOU TAKE AS A CONSUMER~!

This long rant is brought to you by not assuming consumer purchases, especially as someone optimistic and a hardcore fan of the medium, choose games purely on the basis of "THIS IS BEST GAME FOR ME, I WILL GET IT NOW, BEEP BOOP" and that a lack of choice can be critical to consumer choice.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

skywake

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

First the claim was about launch games; now games that don't fit the claim are classified as "early games". All the while, you stand by a completely hypothetical claim that isn't even falsifiable. Hell, even a valid statistical survey could help you with a simple tweak of your claim; you don't even have that. So, as I posted before, you can argue with yourself.

I wasn't at any point making a claim about launch games specifically. What I said was that because 1-2 Switch came out very early in the life of the Switch it has more appeal than it would have if it had launched later on. To put it simply I was saying that the earlier a game launches on a platform the less games it has to compete with. That because it was a launch game it would have sold better than if it had come out later in the life of the system.

And you claim I don't have any evidence but I listed four fairly decent examples of this. Four consoles that had similar style releases very early in a console's life and another much later on. Wii Play was a launch game for Wii bundled with a WiiMote in the west, Wii Party was the same thing but it came out years later. Same deal with WaveRace/1080, WarioWare and the N64 Zelda ports on 3DS. Consistently the earlier release sold better.

Your counter argument? Listing random games that launched early on in a consoles life for some reason. Then you pointed out that Ocarina of Time is the best selling Zelda game ever. Which is an odd game to bring up as a counter point. Did it outsell a similar game that launched earlier in the life of the N64? Well no. It was a unique game on the system when it came out. What you're doing is comparing its sales to games on entirely different platforms... except Majora's Mask which came out after it

Edited on by skywake

Therad

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Risk getting a game in a genre I don't like (Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, which to be fair I did take the chance to get eventuallyand did like more than any Fire Emblem game, so I lucked out in the end!).

Shadow wars is a really under-appreciated title. It is a shame it flopped, especially since it was Julian Gollop (creator of original X-com) that made it. I would have loved a sequel or two.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic