Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 13,101 to 13,120 of 69,962

GrailUK

@Frosty_09 Blimey, an ad campaign around Fifa will send Nintendo Europe in to meltdown. No way they could handle the demand!

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

GrailUK

@Frosty_09 Kimishima certainly knows how to steer a ship.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Captain_Toad

EA'S Full comments about the Switch

http://nintendoeverything.com/eas-full-comments-about-switch/

“So we feel really good about it. Again, we came out early and said that we’ll be supporting the Nintendo Switch with our biggest title in FIFA. We have a tremendous relationship with Nintendo and have done for many, many years and are excited by the fact that they have come out very strong and are bringing in a whole new player base into the ecosystem. We continue to be bullish on it and are looking at other titles that we might bring to the Switch.”

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

OorWullie

"bringing in a whole new player base into the ecosystem."

Why do EA insist on saying things like this when it comes to Nintendo.Do they think the Switch's good start is because the casuals are back on board?So casuals pre-ordered the Switch to play Zelda,they searched relentlessly online looking for any available stock,they paid way over RRP from scalpers because they were so desperate to get one.Comments like this just raises more doubt that we're going to get a proper FIFA from them.FIFA Soccer All-Play 18 is probably more likely.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

JaxonH

@OorWullie
Ya I'd pretty much write off EA entirely. FIFA will be a valuable addition, don't get me wrong, and that is appreciated... and hopefully, maybe, they'll bring more in the future. But I'm not counting on it and am perfectly content with a Switch whose future lies in a separate path from EA.

I think Switch will kind of be like PC, inasmuch that not all games will be ported to it, but certain ones that make sense. It'll have its own flavor of support (not near as much as PC, obviously, but the comparison lies with the fact if you look at Steam, for example, there are a ton of major games missing, but there's also a ton of games only on PC as well).

I think EA support would be great, and would definitely help, but I also think a lack of EA support is a very plausible reality. Thankfully, I believe Switch can do just fine without EA and for the most part, without major western AAA support in general (just look at 3DS, or even Wii which was missing 99% of the games PS3/360 got). Not that that's something to strive for, but rather something that can be overcome in spite of.

Succeeds breeds profit though, and if momentum holds strong 3rd parties will want a piece of the pie. And there's enough Japanese games out there alone to keep the lineup packed alongside Nintendo's own releases which, at the rate they're going, can almost singlehandhedly carry the entire platform. Vita lived for years off nothing more than Japanese bread and water, and those games are already starting to pour in (and even rival sales of Vita and their respective PS4 ports, like Disgaea's 110k preorders which is almost half of the ex-PS4 exclusive's sales to date).

I say screw EA. There's money to be made; let those who want it claim it. EA can sit from the sidelines and observe other companies profiting as far as I'm concerned. And observe what their lack of faith has cost them.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

OorWullie

@JaxonH It almost feels like they're mocking us at times.Yes their last few releases on Wii U and Wii sold poorly but anyone with any knowledge of those releases and when they came out can easily explain why they performed poorly.The Gamecube received plenty support from them and FIFA and various other sport titles must have sold well enough for them to continue releasing them each year.Perhaps they sold well because they were versions that were actually on par with the other consoles.The Wii also received plenty support from them and I bought loads of their titles.Again the sports titles must have sold well enough initially for them to keep releasing more but then it soon became clear how much they lagged behind the other consoles versions so sales dropped off.EA's answer,release Legacy editions which are reskinned versions of the previous seasons which sold poorly but obviously not poorly enough for them release them again.With Wii U FIFA it was already known before release that it was going to be an outdated port so unsurprisingly it sold poorly.The same can be said about their other attempts at support too.Even Need for Speed,while a good game,it was late to arrive,overpriced and never had any discount and released with zero promotion.Maybe this suggests that the majority of the Nintendo fanbase are not casuals and are actually knowledgeable gamers and that's the reason their games aren't selling.If not then the surely the casuals would have lapped FIFA up as they would have no clue about it been an old and dodgy port.There's no doubt that Nintendo consoles attract casuals and family gamers but they are not the majority.I would hazard a guess that there as much casuals that play Nintendo as there are on Playstation.

I've said it in the past that a company like them that has so much influence in the industry has a role to play in ensuring any new consoles success whether it fully pays off for them or not.Surely having a healthy industry with 3 main players is good for them in the long run.Funnily after I made the comment saying the same thing under a past article, a day or 2 later Damian wrote an article saying it's all on Nintendo to ensure the consoles success,not 3rd party's.I don't agree with this,for sure they have a role to play in helping it succeed.If the next Xbox or Playstation got off to a bad start would EA just drop support?No chance as EA would be no more.They help make sure that doesn't happen though by bringing plenty of games to them.

I could rant for hours on this but I'll spare ye haha.It's morning time and that comment from them triggered me.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

JaxonH

@OorWullie
Their support is definitely important, and lack of it is a serious blow... but not fatal, as I'm sure Nintendo will prove yet again with Switch.

And that will be so satisfying, seeing Switch succeed in spite of EA's uncommitment.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Peek-a-boo

I'm sure EA will be perfectly fine without the Switch.

The majority of their income stems from their Origin service, the 'Ultimate Team' bobbins, 'free' mobile games with a focus on IAPs and their annual sports franchise such as FIFA and Madden, the latter of which isn't coming to the Switch.

The graph below shows that the Electronic Arts stock only just broke $100 recently, and the company is now worth $33.75 billion in market cap. For comparisons sake, Nintendo's market cap is worth a tiny little bit less at $33.63 billion as of the 1st of May.

Untitled

And that was without barely releasing anything on the Wii U or 3DS for a very long time!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Murph

No doubt EA is enjoying their flagrant money grab, also know as 'Ultimate Team' on all their franchises, at the expense of modes such as Carreer, etc.

XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murpgh_1
Switch: 8125-7768-9102
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Murph1

StuTwo

@OorWullie here, here! EA are everything wrong with modern video games. The worst thing (aside from the fact they hold some great historic IPs that they occasionally exhume to desecrate) is that continue to collude behind the scenes to engineer a market place that's big on exploitation, violence and the lowest common denominator and small on innovation, charm and intelligence.

The other big Western publishers I can take or leave but EA have basically no redeeming features.

Hopefully the exit of the toxic Peter Moore will mean they change course but I fear the dreadful culture he leaves in his wake will forever taint the company.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

StuTwo

@Peek-a-boo Perhaps there's a correlation between the decline of Nintendo & the rise of EA?

The two companies have almost diametrically opposite philosophies when it comes to game design, marketing and culture. Within the industry there are no two large companies with whom you could draw such a sharp contrast.

Nintendo consoles becoming less relevant therefore suggests EAs model has been vindicated. Which would influence some investors.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Spoony_Tech

Nintendo does need 3rd parties but they don't necessarily need quote AAA games from them. They have been doing this mostly alone for a while now. If not for the Indies the Wii U would've been even worst and that's hard to imagine.

What's more important for Nintendo is quality Nintendo games. Less 1/2 Switch and more Splatoon and perhaps Arms. We already saw that Zelda can move systems and Mario just took that even further. They need to repeat the games they release just like this year every year going forward. If they could have a heavy hitter no less then ever 3 months they will be alright. Sprinkle in some other games in between and that will be icing on the cake.

Metroid and F-Zero can't sit on the sidelines this generation. Nintendo may need to revive some other franchises as well to keep the games coming. I want another Advance Wars. So many ip's they need this gen, Wave Race anyone?

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@Spoony_Tech I'd say out of Nintendo's IPs, Eternal Darkness is probably more important than F-Zero or Metroid. If Capcom's not willing to bring over RE, Nintendo needs to fill the gap meanwhile futuristic racing and action/adventure are kind of already covered by indie games. Yes it would be nice to see F-Zero and Metroid back but it's not necessary.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Spoony_Tech

@Grumblevolcano Metroid is not more important then Eternal Darkness? They made one ED game and countless Metroid games. Now I'm not saying ED isn't important but Metriod if done right has a chance to sell well. The sooner those games hit the better though. We can't have Metroid sitting in the dark for another 2 years. Next year is my guess.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Peek-a-boo

StuTwo wrote:

The worst thing is that they continue to collude behind the scenes to engineer a market place that's big on exploitation, violence and the lowest common denominator and small on innovation, charm and intelligence.

The likes of Unravel, Titanfall 1 & 2 (arguably two of the best FPS of this generation), SSX series, Skate, Rock Band, Plants vs. Zombies (and the two Garden Warfare games), Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dead Space 1, 2 and Extraction (for the Wii) are at least a dozen very different and diverse examples of being the polar opposite of the choice of words you used to describe their most recent catalogue.

StuTwo wrote:

Hopefully the exit of the toxic Peter Moore will mean they change course but I fear the dreadful culture he leaves in his wake will forever taint the company.

Toxic? Dreadful culture? This is a games company that does pretty well for themselves and caters to a wide and global audience. Why would EA choose to 'change course' when they have a winning formula?

Peek-a-boo

Murph

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Spoony_Tech I'd say out of Nintendo's IPs, Eternal Darkness is probably more important than F-Zero or Metroid. If Capcom's not willing to bring over RE, Nintendo needs to fill the gap meanwhile futuristic racing and action/adventure are kind of already covered by indie games. Yes it would be nice to see F-Zero and Metroid back but it's not necessary.

Yes! Give me some survival horror. Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc.

XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murpgh_1
Switch: 8125-7768-9102
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Murph1

Grumblevolcano

@Spoony_Tech The key thing is about the Switch needing a diverse library. Eternal Darkness or even Fatal Frame would add a genre to the Switch's lineup that would otherwise be completely non-existent on Switch. The only way Metroid could reach that usefulness is if it went further in the direction Fusion took the franchise which I really have doubts about as Metroid has always been a T-rated franchise and Nintendo probably wouldn't want a new Metroid to be M-rated.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Spoony_Tech

@Grumblevolcano A prime style game will do very well. They just need not mess with Other M ever again. What on the system now or in the foreseeable future resembles Metroid?

MERG said:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic