Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 13,081 to 13,100 of 69,952

gcunit

@Kogorn733 Might be better off asking in one of the Minecraft threads.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Grumblevolcano

If there's an E3 leak and it's not related to Microsoft then it's likely fake

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Spoony_Tech

Missed opportunity from EA. I know they're trying to play it safe but Madden on the go would be excellent.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Octane

Is this another E3 reveal held back by Nintendo?

Octane

LeRaposa

@Octane Why does everyone keeps saying this? Devs are free to announce their games at any time.

LeRaposa

GrailUK

@FGPackers Me too.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Therad

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

@Spoony_Tech

And who's gonna buy it? You and a couple other Switch owners? Do you know how well Madden games have sold on Nintendo consoles?

@Therad

Platform holders don't "choose" x86 over ARM, nor do they even care. Gamers just want to play video games, not pick ISAs.

This topic is only relevant to companies and developers who build platforms and program games that meet the demand of gamers. Companies and developers also have a strong economic incentive to make a profit. So, if you really want to claim that more complex, less energy-efficient, and more expensive chips that apparently have no technological advantage over ARM chips are the continued ISA of choice for these profit-conscious companies, then I have to wonder what video game industry you're following.

So you are saying that Microsoft and Sony doesn't chose what hardware they want in their consoles?

And can you stop with all the strawman arguments? I haven't said anything even remotely what you are arguing against. What I have said is that is just as easy to program for ARM as it is for x86. In fact, the code looks exactly the same. It is a very small percentage of programmers that need to care about the differences between those architectures. Game devs are not among them.

I say it again, there is nothing technological that hinders game devs from porting to the switch. With a good install base, the "Western AAA developers" will come. Otherwise I question their "profit-consciousness".

Therad

Therad

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

Somehow, that magically turned into the conclusion that there are no tech differences between ARM and x86 platforms. Of course there is.

Of course there is a difference! But it is so low level that it doesn't matter for game devs. Devs will have to scale down the most graphics-intensive games, sure. But that is because of the GPU, not the CPU. No one in this thread thinks games will look exactly as they do on the other platforms.

ARM will never be a stopper if a publisher wants to have a game on a specific platform. The CPU architecture hasn't been an issue since gen 6 basically. As long as they think they can a healthy profit, they will do it. And for them to take that decision, install base is much more important than the CPU.

Therad

skywake

I have to agree with @Therad. There are differences between ARM and x86 but it's not at all like the differences consoles used to have between them. I mean last gen the Wii was a single core machine with a unique control scheme and the PS3 was a multi-threaded monster with significantly larger disks. A few generations ago there were generations where one console was treating 3D as a fad, one was treating CDs as a fad and a third was treading consoles as a piece of HiFi gear.

Relative hardware spec aside? This console generation all three are basically doing the same thing from a hardware level. They're all multi-core machines with an appropriate amount of RAM and GPU horsepower to compliment it. The only difference is that one can be taken with you on a plane.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

Octane wrote:

Is this another E3 reveal held back by Nintendo?

Who has been saying all these games were being held back? No one believes that.

There will probably be a couple big games we don't know about, and those couple big games have a very good chance of being revealed at E3, and if not at E3 then in a future Nintendo Direct, as we can clearly see Nintendo is desperate to cling on to any big game coming to make the most of its announcements, but I can promise you this is not one of them. It's EA.

There is a shortlist of likely candidates, and Madden isn't on it. But Ubisoft, THQ Nordic, Square Enix... these are the ones to watch. Publishers with a history of supporting Nintendo last generation and/or evidence of a current desire to support Nintendo with Switch. Games from these are the ones to watch for. Doesn't mean it's guaranteed, but it does mean it's possible and if there are a few games coming we don't know about, the statistical chance of Nintendo not making it a part of one of their e3 or Direct presentations is slim to none (since practically every other big Switch game was announced when Nintendo said jump, and not before)

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

So, thinking about e3, I think Nintendo has pretty much settled on an approach of selling fans on the games coming in the next 6 months, rather than showing all their cards for games that won't release for another 2-3 years. They made that mistake with the January 2013 Direct, and by the time Xenoblade was releasing, by the time Tokyo Mirage Sessions was releasing, the e3 hype was gone because we'd seen or heard about those games for years. Everyone is constantly looking to see what's next, to see what's new. You could have a great game releasing in a month, but show a shiny new game releasing after that and suddenly the focus shifts away from what's right in front of you.

This is why I think we won't see Smash Bros reveal until fall. We already have a very robust and full lineup for the 6 months post e3- Arms, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Super Mario Odyssey, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, NBA 2K18, FIFA 18, Sonic Forces, and plenty of unknowns from 3rd parties we don't yet know about (doesn't have to be mega AAA, but just look how many TBA games are already announced like Tales and Project Octopath Traveller and Dragon Quest, etc... more will come between now and year's end). A Smash reveal would really hurt the Arms hype. Nintendo has a habit of revealing a few new games at e3, and a few new games in Nov/Dec as the final holiday release approaches, not only to build some final hype for that holiday release (in this case Mario Odyssey) but to set the stage for the following year.

And I think there's not really much room left for 1st party games this year. Arms in June, Splatoon 2 in July, lets say August is skipped and left for 3rd parties, FE Warriors in September, Xenoblade 2 in October, Mario Odyssey in November... that's a game a month for the rest of 2017. So I do expect maybe one more release for this year- a smaller release, and maybe a Fire Emblem Switch reveal (TBA 2018) and Pikmin 4 reveal (Spring 2018) to give us some excitement, but not too much. Then before Odyssey drops they air a Direct with more info and release months for those two 2018 games, and a couple new announcements for 2018 to set the stage for the first 6 months (since they're aiming for no major gaps between releases, we can expect at least 4 big releases between Jan 1st and e3 18. Maybe Feb, Mar, May and June.

And after much thought, I've decided the odds of seeing Metroid or Retro Studios game this e3 is slim. Whatever is coming it won't have room to release this year, therefore they'll probably hold back for a November Direct or, if it's a really big game for Holiday 2018, maybe they'll save it for e3 2018 (like a Metroid). As much as I'd like to believe there will be tons of new Switch announcements, the fact is we have a full plate for the next 6 months, and Nintendo typically doesn't show us more than what's coming for the next 6-9 months, at least, not anymore. Not since that blunder with Wii U (Zelda being another mistake- I'm sure they truly intended to release in Holiday 2015, but Switch version pushed it back a year + the 3 month delay into March for Switch release).

All that said, that doesn't change what's coming... just when we find out about it. If, let's say, 9 major 1st party releases are going to land on Switch each year for the next 5 years, then nothing is going to change that. We'll have 9 major releases in 2018 regardless, so whether Nintendo reveals 4 of them at e3 2017, and 5 later, or whether they reveal 1 of them at e3 2017, and save 8 for later... one way or another we've got 9 reveals to look forward to. Be it now or later, they're gonna come. So not seeing a bunch of new 2018 releases shown at e3 only means we'll have more to look forward to in the Fall Direct, or even next year's e3. The more they burn through now, the less they'll have later. And since, as I said, the next 6 months already has a robust lineup, there's really not much room for new announcements without eating into future presentations. Switch is hot, and they'll want to stagger their announcements throughout the year just as they're staggering their releases. So that, at the very least, e3 2017 ensures we know the lineup for the rest of the year, and Fall Direct 2017 ensures we know the lineup for first half of 2018, then e3 2018 tells us the lineup through the holidays, then Fall Direct reveals the first 6 months of 2019, etc.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

FGPackers

@JaxonH totally agree. Holy words, buddy!! Was thinking about ARMS-Smash the other day and we may not see a Smash port because of it. And honestly i would he really happy

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

JaxonH

@FGPackers
Ya, I do think Smash will come- after the amazing response of consumers to Mario Kart 8 it's a no brainer, but I think they'll wait until the post-e3 Direct to announce it so as to not steal any thunder from Arms.

It would be a perfect spring release next year to help pad the lineup, maybe between Pikmin 4 and Fire Emblem, and maybe Dragon Quest XI (if the Switch version isn't too far behind PS4/3DS). Square Enix is backing Switch and I'm excited to see what they have in store, particularly with Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts. Cause you know both those franchises are a good fit for Switch. Not super realistic or gritty- although that's not to say realistic games can't be a good fit- they just need to be chosen carefully. Rise of the Tomb Raider is a perfect choice I think, not only for it's Zelda like gameplay approach but also the fact it already came to 360 which shows the game can be scaled down just fine and look incredible.

Also a lot of games that need localizing such as Nobanugas Ambition, Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII, Nights of Azure 2, we have yet to hear what Tales game is coming, etc. Those could all be late 2017 and early 2018 releases in the west.

Edited on by JaxonH

Joeynator3000

checks all nearby stores
Yup, still nonexistent...

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Captain_Toad

@JasonH Heh, pretty much a plausable reason they'll be holding back (a maybely smash or so reveals) somewhat till the months close in, as not to overshadow the other games.

Hot dog! Nintendo is certainly coming back in a way.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic