Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 13,041 to 13,060 of 69,991

Killer7IsDead

I will be getting yellow joy cons. Ill use a grey/yellow combo.

Killer7IsDead

skywake

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

So let me get this straight, @skywake, @JaxonH, et. al.:

A company that has a long and documented history of pride in their own iconic IPs and — at best — indifference towards the Western AAA third-party video game industry are secretly stashing all these Western AAA video games to unveil at an electronics event that is not even on their radar?

Is that what I'm really supposed to believe here?

That's not what I said. What I said was more along the lines of the Switch as a Nintendo portable being a fairly big deal in the industry. And that fact will probably be enough to pull across some third party support. I then listed two examples of mid-tier IPs that come from Japan that they've got in the past i.e. Resident Evil and Bayonetta. I'm not really expecting the Western third party floodgates to open at E3 for AAA games on Switch. What I said was that I wouldn't be surprised if something like the next Tomb Raider is announced for Switch.

ZeldaFan50 wrote:

Why is everybody thinking Stars. I'm more thinking a Sinnoh remake because a remake of a previous Pokémon usually come out a year after a main series release.

Well since the first remakes that has happened twice and an enhanced version or sequel immediately after also happened twice. So I don't think there's some kind of hard and fast rule here. Especially given that a new console mid-gen has only really happened once before with the 3DS. I don't think analysing the past is going to help you predict this because there isn't really a pattern or precedent

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

NaviAndMii

Gerald wrote:

For anyone who's interested, Yellow Joy Cons are available for pre order on Nintendo UK Website

..but only in packs of 2?

Not sure having 1 Neon Blue, 1 Neon Red & 2 Neon Yellow Joy-Con would be the best colour combination...I could buy a pair and sell one I suppose - not ideal though - wish they'd have a mix'n'match option on the website instead! That'd be great!

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

I expect DIamond and Pearl remakes

Why? Simple.

Marshadow has already been revealed. No more event Pokémon to go.

The new movie, retelling Episode 1 of the anime, features the little bugger (So distribution soon!) but Ash's new companions have the two most prominent Generation 4 Pokémon - Piplup, ever prominent in the anime, and Lucario, the damn poster boy.

Further more, imagine this.

Rather than do what they did with X and Y, or Diamond and Pearl, and have to build a new engine for this new system and HD development and design a whole game around that, why not take an already designed game, build the engine, make the assets with designs that already exist, and update the mechanics and underlying game design to match the improvements made over time?

Then take what was learned there, away from having to also worry about new designs, new Pokémon, new stories, and all that, and then refine the engine and HD development methods with a full new Pokémon game, once the ground work is laid in a less risky way.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

skywake

@BLP_Software
I agree that a remake of Diamond/Pearl would make sense. It also might make sense for it to not be on the Switch. But a sequel or revision of Sun/Moon on Switch would also make sense. I just don't think there's any kind of trend that will tell us what we're going to get. People are making assumptions about what this is based on what has happened before. I don't think that's really possible, for every "rule" people are listing there are just as many exceptions

They always do a remake after a new entry:
Platinum & Black/White 2 were not remakes

They don't split a series across consoles
Pokemon Crystal was GBC exclusive, Gold/Silver could be played on the original GB

The Switch is a home console, Pokemon is for portables
The Switch is the first Nintendo home console that's also portable

Pokemon always sits on the older platform for a while
In Japan Crystal launched before the GBA, Ruby/Saphire launched not long after. A similar thing happened with Diamond/Pearl in Japan but there was a longer gap. In the west we look at it differently because of the localisation delay.... and the 5th generation

Basically what I'm saying is that it could really be anything. There's no real guaranteed thing with Pokemon. The only thing we can be slightly confident about is that we're unlikely to get a new generation of games.

edit:
On an entirely unrelated note I was reading a thing about the cost of Switch cartridges on twitter. Rime in the US and Europe (not Australia) is cheaper digitally because of the "extra cost of cartridges". But apparently the issue isn't exactly a high cost of cartridges. The issue is that Nintendo has a minimum run. If you expect to sell less than that? Well tough, you'll have to just absorb that cost. This is something that Nintendo should probably find a solution for. Because this isn't a good look.....
Untitled

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Therad

Octane wrote:

@Therad You would be surprised to see how many games run on proprietary engines, and they're often only optimised for x86. The majority of big games that release every year run on proprietary engines. The only one I can think of right now is the upcoming FF7 remake (running on UE4). Proprietary engines still need to be optimised for ARM in that case.

Proprietary means it is closed source. It has nothing at all to do with if they can run on arm or not. If you have an in-house engine, you have the source and can recompile it to arm. When talking about x86 and ARM, we are talking low-level programming. No sane game developer does that anymore.

Here is a list of engines,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines
Can you find an engine that is well-known and does not have cross-platform? And not tied to one of the platform holders?

It isn't a technical problem, it is a political issue.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

DTMOF84

Did anyone like or use the game notes app on the 3DS? I'd like to see it on the Switch. It's useful for RPGs when you need to remember something and take a note.

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

Octane

@skywake I wonder what the minimum run is. 100,000? 200,000? It could explain the price for Puyo Puyo Tetris; It was €30 across all platforms, the only exception was the physical copy on the Switch, it was €40.

@Therad Well, true, but take RE Engine for example (not on the list by the way). The game developers don't mess with programming on the low-level, but the programmers behind the engine still need to optimise the engine for Switch in that case. RE Engine only runs on PC, PS4 and Xbox One currently. It is true that it's often an economical choice, rather than technical issues, that prevent an engine from being optimised for a particular platform.

@Frosty_09 Well, EA recently ditched Bioware, and they're probably looking for another studio to tear apart...

Octane

Azooooz

Nintendo Spotlight is the new name for Nintendo Digital Event at E3

Edited on by Azooooz

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Grumblevolcano

Only 2017 games for Nintendo Spotlight is concerning, not even a slight tease for 2018? Either they've got an insanely good 2nd half of 2017 or this year's going to end up being E3 2015 pt. 2.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

''Nintendo Switch games for 2017'' meaning Nintendo Switch games for 2017 and maybe one surprise. Chances of a Metroid reveal at E3 are pretty slim IMO.

Octane

Azooooz

One Piece: Unlimited World Red: Deluxe Edition is coming to Switch.

Edited on by Azooooz

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

StuTwo

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Only 2017 games for Nintendo Spotlight is concerning, not even a slight tease for 2018? Either they've got an insanely good 2nd half of 2017 or this year's going to end up being E3 2015 pt. 2.

For the past few years NoA has always claimed that E3 is a place for promoting the games that are on their way for the remainder of the year. Of course a few of the games they've shown have subsequently slipped (last year was almost nothing but Zelda... which only just arrived in March)

Let's see if they break their rules this year.

Honestly I think we'll see a Smash Bros announcement (for release this Winter), the rumoured Rabbids crossover and, maybe, something on the plans to bring Pokemon to Switch. Other than that I think they'll mostly show Mario and Xenoblade with a few 3rd party games (Japanese 3rd party games - so possibly Monster Hunter...). They'll present a strong line up for the next 9-12 months but not one firing on enough cylinders to absolutely blow away people still on the fence.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

KirbyTheVampire

Not happy about it only being 2017 titles. Let's hope the rest of this year has some pretty awesome games.

KirbyTheVampire

Grumblevolcano

@StuTwo That was clearly used an excuse to justify the small amount of new games, I mean think about what could've made E3 2015 better. They could've shown a BotW trailer but they didn't because Switch, Twilight Princess HD would create more questions about the status of BotW, Pokken was probably The Pokemon Company's decision not to show and an indie reel which I don't know why they didn't.

As for E3 2016, that was clearly a result of Switch not coming until March 2017.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

The Crash Bandicoot trilogy may find its way onto the Switch eventually. It's not confirmed or anything like that, but neither Activision, nor Sony have confirmed it's a PS4 exclusive. From the looks of it, it's just a timed PS4 exclusive. The image below was taken at a Best Buy in Canada. It doesn't confirm anything, but it's possible:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_ebsdpUwAMsoRt.jpg

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic