Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 13,021 to 13,040 of 69,964

JaxonH

@BiasedSonyFan
That's right. They care enough to get a booth, so I'd say they care quite a bit, regardless of what they may say.

But the bottom line is, it doesn't matter if it's e3 or their own Direct, they're gonna control the message. And despite not "caring" about e3 as much as some others, it's still the biggest announcements platform for them each year. That's a fact.

And that "indifference" is quickly evaporating. They communicated with 3rd parties for Switch, they increased their RAM at Capcom' s request, they approached devs like Bethesda and From Software who never release on Nintendo. They chose an architecture with easy porting.

I'd say that whole "they're indifferent to 3rd parties" argument is collapsing by the day. But by all means, believe whatever you want

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@BiasedSonyFan
secretly stashing all these Western AAA

And I never said that. If they had a whole bunch of western AAA support they wouldn't have to use those games to bolster their presentations. My guess is there's a couple western AAA games, not "all these". A couple. 2 or 3. But you can bet your bottom socks Nintendo will incorporate them into e3 or a Direct.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@BiasedSonyFan
Who said I'm expecting these games on Switch? Quite the opposite. I'm NOT expecting these games on Switch.

But just because 95% of them don't come, doesn't mean none will. There'll be some, and with Switch being successful (assuming it stays on course) it'll get a fair amount down the line.

So no, I'm not expecting these games on Switch, but I do expect a couple. And those couple games will almost certainly be used to bolster their presentation, just like they've used all those other 3rd party games to bolster the Switch announcement and past Direct.

And btw, x86 architecture probably would have been their choice had the system not been a hybrid. They know a 3rd clone won't sell, but a hybrid can. But just because they didn't follow suit with Sony and MS doesn't mean they "Don't value western AAA". They most certainly do, it's just not all they care about about. And there are other things that take higher priority. But just because they value the hybrid concept most, that doesn't mean they don't care about 3rd party games at all. They care now more than ever. Getting Unreal Engine 4 compatibility, getting Switch embedded in Koei Tecmo' s multiplatform engine, getting Skyrim and Bethesda on board... these are not things you do if you don't care.

Therad

The difference between x86 and ARM for a game developer is basically nil. No one in their right mind would do that kind of low level programming in a game anymore. Game studios use a game engine, otherwise it takes to long before they hit the market. Most game engines should already be optimised against arm thanks to mobile development.

Therad

NEStalgia

@Peek-a-boo I think there's still a lot of hand wringing about "what will be announced this E3" though. Look at the lineup into holiday 2017 and just beyond (including JP release dates that we don't know about the west yet.) A new 3D Mario, Skyrim, Fire Emblem, FE Warriors, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Megaten, DQ11, and that's just the big exclusives sans Skyrim. I mean I DO expect some 3rd party, but we're acting like we're talking about a WiiU style lineup that needs a bunch of E3 announcements to not be barren when it's a virtual glut of major titles in a short space of time.

I know you guys are talking third party but, honestly, we already know about a lot of major games.....it's really the minor ones we should be curious about more than major ones, or peeking in the "2018/2019" timeline, but going too far in the future is bad as E3 2014 into E3 2015 showed.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia I disagree about the last point, all E3 2014 into E3 2015 showed in hindsight was that Nintendo moved some Wii U projects to Switch either in the form of releasing for both platforms like BotW or becoming Switch exclusive like Pikmin 4 and Animal Crossing.

If Wii U was a huge success in holiday 2014, we'd have seen info for BotW, Pikmin 4 and a brand new Animal Crossing for Wii U at E3 2015 even if just the tease type like Star Fox at E3 2014. If you think about it, Federation Force was the only negative 3DS announcement and even then that's because if Metroid is not Prime 4 or a Super Metroid clone then Metroid fans don't care.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Therad You would be surprised to see how many games run on proprietary engines, and they're often only optimised for x86. The majority of big games that release every year run on proprietary engines. The only one I can think of right now is the upcoming FF7 remake (running on UE4). Proprietary engines still need to be optimised for ARM in that case.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano E3 2014 to 15 didn't show that anything moved to Switch. It showed that they showcased 3 years worth of games all at once to look like a lot of games. 15 was disappointing because it was just covering the things they already told us about the year before and told us back then they were due over a year later. Sony pulled a similar stunt with E3 2015&16. Half the games showcased still don't exist, and they'll bring them out again this year or next year as featured titles. Sure 15/16 would have had more for Nintendo had they actually been making more, but it doesn't change that half of what they showed in 2014 wasn't really for release until after E3 2015....they borrowed the future to buy the present. They certainly did hold stuff back for Switch after that, but they were leaning much too hard on games they knew were 2-3 years out.

As for Pikmin 4 and AC, I never personally believed them. 2 Pikmins on one console didn't seem right. Yeah GCN did it, but they were trying to push Pikmin as the next big thing at the time. And Pikmin 3 was still so new, it didn't make sense to be doing a new one 2 years later. And AC I firmly believed was handheld only from New Leaf onward, and never saw a WiiU one in the cards ever even if it did take off. It saw much bigger success and viral social marketing on handheld, to me it was clear that was the new home for AC. My big fear was that it would just become a mobile franchise instead of console....and we still don't know it wont....but at least Switch makes it more likely to meet all needs since it's a handheld and a console.

@Octane The whole point of Tegra X as a platform is its x86 instruction bridge for ARM. While some optimization is required, and a game runs better in the native instruction set, Tegra is all about a low-penalty instruction bridge. It's not a "normal" ARM chip like a Snapdragon or Exynos.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

Nintendo is removing more Sun/Moon stuff, this time it's the reveal trailer from YouTube. This combined with the other stuff suggests Stars reveal for sure seems very soon.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Peek-a-boo

@Grumblevolcano I am curious to see if Pokémon Stars is going to be a higher quality port of Pokémon Sun and Moon, which I would be perfectly fine with in all honesty, or a from-ground-up 3D game of the very same game.

I didn't buy Sun or Moon on my new 3DS last year, mostly in anticipation of potentially seeing the game(s) on the Switch in some shape or form. It's been a fair old while since I played a Pokémon game so, I am looking forward to seeing how Stars will eventually turn out!

Peek-a-boo

Videogameguru50

Why is everybody thinking Stars. I'm more thinking a Sinnoh remake because a remake of a previous Pokémon usually come out a year after a main series release.

Videogameguru50

Octane

@Grumblevolcano ...and in the end it's just Ninty trolling us. Who knows, another Pokemon game is a given, but the real question is what platform it will be on.

@Peek-a-boo Same here. Pokemon games aren't system sellers for me anymore (series has gone downhill imo), but I gladly purchase the game in the series if it's on a system I own. If it's coming to the Switch, it'll be interesting to see how they choose to present the game, as a port, or more along the lines of a remaster.

Octane

jman0987654321

I don't know what to do, my disk replay has just dance 2017 for switch at 42.99 and I have 200 in credit should I get it

jman0987654321

gcunit

@jman0987654321 Errr... do you like Just Dance? If so, and 42.99 seems reasonable to you, then go for it.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ralizah

I sold my copy of Pokemon Moon, so a Pokemon Stars release on Nintendo Switch would be ideal for me. The games felt like they were pushing the system too hard anyway. I bet those Pokemon models would look brilliant in HD!

It'll be annoying if Stars ends up being another 3DS game, though.

@ZeldaFan50 Because they're removing videos related to Pokemon S&M, most likely in order to avoid people searching for Stars footage (if it indeed is called Pokemon Stars) and finding footage of the 3DS game instead.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Grumblevolcano

I sold my copy of Pokemon Moon too, I rarely sell Nintendo games but I've had it for several months and still hadn't played it. Fire Emblem Echoes will likely be my last 3DS game as I don't skip Fire Emblem (I've even played Heroes for a somewhat significant amount of time).

Grumblevolcano

TuVictus

I tried my best to get into fire emblem so I can join on the hype train for warriors and the switch game. But I just can't get into the gameplay. I really suck at the strategy rpg, even on easy mode. I find it too tedious, but also I suck at unit management. I guess I don't have to love everything Nintendo puts out. Tried with awakening too, since that seems to be the most new come friendly.

TuVictus

Grumblevolcano

@Operative2-0 I think Fire Emblem Warriors will probably be closer to Hyrule Warriors than a mainline Fire Emblem game.

Grumblevolcano

TuVictus

@Grumblevolcano oh definitely, but I wanted to be invested in the series and characters before that game came out, to fully appreciate it

TuVictus

Gerald

For anyone who's interested, Yellow Joy Cons are available for pre order on Nintendo UK Website

NNID: Ootfan98
3DS FC: 3909 - 7501 - 9000

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic