Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 12,901 to 12,920 of 69,991

KirbyTheVampire

I'm gonna have to see more of that before I even consider buying it. I loathe the Rabbids.

KirbyTheVampire

OorWullie

If the game turns out to be really good then why should it matter what characters make up the cast?Plus they might have hired better writers this time making the little critters a tad more tolerable,perhaps even likable.Plus it's a new style of game for them,maybe they'll finally find their place in the world.At least give the insufferable little freaks a chance.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

IceClimbers

To be honest I actually think it'll be goofy and wacky, yet charming. Hopefully the gameplay is executed well.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Haruki_NLI

Y'all have to remember, this is going to be so far under Nintendo's supervision it probably won't even look like Ubisoft.

Plus, when Ubisoft does weird stuff, usually the results are good. Rayman, Beyond Good and Evil, many others.

Ubisoft being weird and creative, especially when Nintendo is calling the shots, isn't Ubisoft spewing another game from a factory floor.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

FGPackers

I'm really so much curious to discover more on the rabbids one!!

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Eric258

The concept of a rabbits x mario rpg is just so bizarre. I think that's why I'm pretty excited to see it. E3 can't come soon enough!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2601-9990-4610
Super Mario Run Friend Code: 1391-4403-4742
Fire Emblem Heroes Friend Code: 1332698932
Twitter: @Eric258kip

BigBadJohn

Okay two discussion points for you.
1) I personally love my switch and believe it has the potential to be the best console ever (note the word potential). I also believe that any game on the switch gets an automatic 1 or 2 point out of ten boost simply by taking advantage of the systems flexibility. Given the early success of the switch do you think it would be a good thing if both Sony and Microsoft started working on their own version? And ultimately would that have any bearing on Nintendo's future success?

2) Given that Cloud gaming is apparently the next big thing in video games (and has been for the last five years) and that Nvidia has developed its own cloud based service wouldn't a hybrid system like the switch be the best receiver for a cloud gaming service. All the processing power goes on up in the ether and you can connect and play both at home and away?

Apologies if these have been asked before but i'm not prepared to wade through 688 forum pages.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

JaxonH

@BigBadJohn
1 Agreed, agreed, agreed. I've always loved Nintendo's games, but when you combine that with such a truly awesome piece of hardware, it makes for an epic one two punch.

Yes, I want to see Sony and MS make their own "Switch". Unfortunately I do foresee that having an impact on Nintendo's success. But first and foremost I'm a gamer, and I would love to game on a Sony or MS hybrid, even if it means stealing a piece of Nintendo's pie. I wouldn't say that if I thought it would threaten their actual business to the point they stopped making games or hardware- that's too high a price to pay for it, but I'm confident they will be fine and will continue to trailblaze new ideas and unique hardware, setting trends for generations to come.

2 Negative. Cloud gaming just isn't there yet. Until they can reduce the lag to that of a typical online gaming match or less, and until the gamership accepts forfeiting physical copies, it's just not going to succeed. I tried PS Now, and it sucked. It's a great idea, but video games are different than movies. When you have a full second delay between pressing the button and seeing the response take place on screen, its hard to enjoy playing. This is why it never took off, and until they solve that issue it's rather worthless. The best solution is what Nintendo is already doing. Rather than hope for cloud gaming to answer the call of "mo power" I think a supplemental computing box would solve the issue, at least at home. For portable play we'll just have to wait until mobile processor chips improve, but they are improving so that's the good news. Next generation we should see PS4 graphics on the Switch. Unfortunately, by that time people will have grown accustomed to PS5 graphics, and once again it'll seem underpowered in comparison. You just can't go head to head with a full home console when you're a portable system. That said, Switch is pretty freaking incredible for what it is. For being portable, that sucker is super powerful. The fact it can run games that are at least in the ballpark of full blown power consoles is utterly impressive.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

BLP_Software wrote:

Y'all have to remember, this is going to be so far under Nintendo's supervision it probably won't even look like Ubisoft.

Plus, when Ubisoft does weird stuff, usually the results are good. Rayman, Beyond Good and Evil, many others.

Ubisoft being weird and creative, especially when Nintendo is calling the shots, isn't Ubisoft spewing another game from a factory floor.

Agreed. I love Ubisoft (maybe I should say that in the unpopular gaming opinions thread!)... they are one of the few megapublishers who, like Nintendo, actually care about making great games, and whose leadership actually cares about video games.

Yves Guillemot, Ubisoft CEO... he and his family actually founded Ubisoft. They were there in the early 90's, they were there for the 3D revolution, they were there for all of it, and to this day they are still here, doing what they set out to do almost 30 years ago- making great games.

People don't give Ubisoft the respect they deserve. Unlike EA, unlike Activision, unlike Warner Brothers, unlike Bethesda, unlike Take Two Interactive, unlike pretty much every major publisher in the industry, Ubisoft always backs Nintendo in their endeavors. People got salty over Rayman, but they don't understand the business side of things. They just understand the "I want, I want, I want" side of things. Wii U struck disaster so fast and hard after launch, it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that an exclusive investment was a losing proposition. Not only were they there with an exclusive and multiplat at launch that took advantage of the system's unique capabilities, they still brought Rayman to Wii U as a multi platform release, which is about the best we should've expected given the systems state of affairs. I commend them for supporting Wii U.

Zombi U
Assassins Creed III
Rayman Legends
Assassins Creed IV
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Child of Light
Watch Dogs

No other 3rd party developer stuck by the Wii U's side like Ubisoft did.

Anyways, some of their games have fallen into the trap of repetition, but they still have some excellent games. And as you said, when they try to get creative and really try to make a fantastic game they usually do exactly that. Nintendo will surely have supervised such a crossover, and my money is on this RPG being a high quality exclusive... Rabbids or not.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

@BigBadJohn
I've said it in another thread but I think something like the Switch was inevitable. You can't have processors getting more and more power efficient and not have something like this happen. Especially when improvements in flash meaning you can get similar capacities with flash as you can with a HDD and ODD. And this is only going to be more true as time goes on. Five years from now you could build something like the Switch that sits between Scorpio and PS4 Pro. So yeah, I do think we are heading in that direction.

But the fact that we're heading in that direction? I think it's going to mean that cloud gaming dies before it can take off. It's going to be a lot more than five years before everyone has the internet infrastructure for cloud gaming. Especially if they want to do it away from home. And by the time we do get to that point? Having something equivalent to a Switch with an i7 7700K & 1080Ti in your pocket will be old news. You won't want the video compression of cloud gaming when you have plenty of computing power at your fingertips.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

erv

@skywake cloud gaming is a fun concept, but it's the infrastructure that lacks. That is very true.

I think it will be like vr. We'll see it pop up and die off now and then until it is actually any good. And accessible. Everyone knows there's potential in the idea, but technical limitations mean most are too early on the market.

Nice tech demo and probably a long way off.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

BigBadJohn

@JaxonH @skywake Agreed however the only thing I would say about cloud gaming is technology and internet infrastructure advancement is moving exponentially faster. Think about where we where five years ago and where we are now. I live in a relatively highly populated city and pretty much everywhere I go there's high speed wifi available for free. I personally don't like the idea of cloud gaming because I like the healthy competition created between the big three and the drive for innovation. When or if cloud gaming takes off all the end user needs is the device to stream to rather than a dedicated console.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

skywake

@erv @BigBadJohn
The problem is that even if you get the best cloud gaming service possible there's still going to be some latency and compression. At the very least more than you'd get if you rendered it locally. It's unavoidable. And as the amount of computing power you can fit in your pocket grows exponentially? The disadvantages will be the only difference between the two approaches. There are some things that fit naturally with cloud computing, storage being the main one. I don't think real time rendering of games is a great fit.

To put it another way. With Netflix the cloud is great because it means I don't have to carry an entire collection of movies around with me on a HDD. It also means that I can watch a movie or TV show as I see it. Netflix updates with new content? I don't have to download that content, I just stream it. That's why services like Netflix, Youtube, Apple Music, Spotify and so on are great. And there are minimal compromises vs the alternative. Do you lose quality? Well sure. But BluRay is ~40Mbps, UHD BluRay is ~100Mbps, DVDs are ~11Mbps and CDs are ~1.2Mbps. So we're not that far behind especially when for this sort of media latency is not an issue.

But game streaming? It's only great if I don't have something to render that game locally. If I have a console, PC or portable gaming device? Streaming is worse. The link between a device I have and its screen is always going to be higher bandwidth and lower latency than my internet connection. HDMI is ~18Gbps with <1ms latency. The only disadvantage with playing it locally is that I have to download the game first. Which would be a non-issue if I had enough bandwidth to stream the game with a decent quality......

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

Back to the CoD debate, Black Ops 3 is getting new DLC despite the game being over a year old.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

A Dreamcast game got DLC lately. Whats your point?

Animal Crossing got a 3 year update. Smash Bros got DLC a year in. Do you want to mention Destiny while we are there? Binding of Isaac?

Games getting DLC a year after launch is fairly standard. Now if we talk say 5 years..then it gets odd.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TuVictus

Well it's odd for a franchise that has a new entry every year. So yeah.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

JaxonH

Operative2-0 wrote:

Well it's odd for a franchise that has a new entry every year. So yeah.

^^^
That was my thought exactly.

Luna_110

Guess IS is focusing on Fire Emblem Switch now, since Echoes already released on Japan.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

JamestheLol

When playing The Switch in handheld with the joycons attach to the screen, does the joycons battery go down and how long is the hoycon battery?

JamestheLol

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic